2022-2023 UT San Antonio (Long)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I actually think it's easier to refine looks over zoom. I am ugly af but I bought a ring light and I look so much better :rofl:
That is the problem ain't it? How does @MCAThiccy show their super hotness compared to someone who could look equally good on zoom with just a ring light? :)

Members don't see this ad.

Just my two cents as someone inside Long doing research and daily hanging out with the current students and admissions folks: For sure they are increasing their stats profile. They want to be seen at the same level at Baylor/Southwestern. A couple of MS4's I know had 511's, and I know a lot of the incoming class and it seems like everyone there has a 519+. The metrics have certainly changed in a few short years, but I personally and strongly believe it's because the school is tired of being viewed second tier to any MD school in Texas.

Reactions: 3 users
This is what my interviewers see:
1666723567169.png

As you can see, I manipulate them from the jump.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just my two cents as someone inside Long doing research and daily hanging out with the current students and admissions folks: For sure they are increasing their stats profile. They want to be seen at the same level at Baylor/Southwestern. A couple of MS4's I know had 511's, and I know a lot of the incoming class and it seems like everyone there has a 519+. The metrics have certainly changed in a few short years, but I personally and strongly believe it's because the school is tired of being viewed second tier to any MD school in Texas.
Do they say where the push is coming from to raise the scores?

I will say other factors are very important (disadvantaged status, URM status, etc.) that can provide a big boost to one’s app so I wouldn’t discount those factors. Stats are still integral tho from what I’ve seen.
I wouldn’t say disadvantaged status or URM status provides a big boost because that that plays into the narrative that they aren’t as “qualified” or don’t “deserve” the spot. You probably didn’t mean it like that, but I just wanted to make that clear.

Reactions: 1 users
Nah they didn't mean it like that, I'm sure. I just think they like me as a person and want to give me a shot. Doesn't mean I'll get a prematch or even a match in the grand scheme of things.

Anyone at or above their rumored MCAT cutoff of 510 is statistically incredibly likely to pass their boards. I hope they spend their analysis time on other stuff at that point.

Reactions: 1 user
Legit have no idea which school is gonna take a liking to my 52X, sub 3.7 GPA application, especially given TX schools are traditionally crazy about high GPA. I’ll be one to hope Long really is caring a lot about high MCAT scores now, thought I had a really good interview there. I’ll take love from McGovern or Baylor too though I love the TMC and they’re closer to home. as an aside I feel like my weird stat combo is so unusual that adcoms could identify my sdn account on that alone lol
I know it's gotta feel weird being in a state that adores high GPA, but a 52x MCAT is not going to go ignored as long as the rest of your app is fine. And it must be since you got interviews. Your acceptance is coming! Long probably loves you! Word is that they don't do much prematching.

I know it's gotta feel weird being in a state that adores high GPA, but a 52x MCAT is not going to go ignored as long as the rest of your app is fine. And it must be since you got interviews. Your acceptance is coming! Long probably loves you! Word is that they don't do much prematching.
Thank you! Got that prematch at UTMB too going for me (and you! congrats!) so I know that at least one school likes me. Really confident my application is strong except for my GPA so I’ll just have to see how it all pans out on match day but i’d love to get another prematch somewhere too. Not expecting one from other schools at this point given Long, McGovern, and Baylor aren’t very prematch heavy (and i didn’t prematch to UTSW yet) but let’s keep hoping.

Last edited:
  • Care
Thank you! Got that prematch at UTMB too going for me (and you! congrats!) so I know that at least one school likes me. Really confident my application is strong except for my ugly GPA so I’ll just have to see how it all pans out on match day but i’d love to get another prematch somewhere too. Not expecting one from other schools at this point given Long, McGovern, and Baylor aren’t very prematch heavy (and i didn’t prematch to UTSW yet) but let’s keep hoping
That's right, you did get the UTMB prematch! YEAH!! I still say you're gonna end up hitting the big-time on us, lol. If you end up at UTMB, I definitely wanna be your study buddy. 52x MCATs don't just happen.

How are you ranking your other interviews vs UTMB at this point? Feel free to PM me if that's more comfy, and I understand if you don't wanna share this info at all. I just figured with such a high MCAT, you might be shooting for the stars a bit. That's a heck of a score.

Very well said, I never thought about it this way!
I think it really comes down to what one would do if School B tosses insane money their way. Being debt-free or having low debt is a very strong driver. I'd certainly be quite interested, lol!

Last edited:
I think it reality comes down to what one would do if School B tosses insane money their way. Being debt-free or having low debt is a very strong driver. I'd certainly be quite interested, lol!
Is Long giving lots of scholarships?

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m curious if this is the best way to increase their ranking/reputation though. Dell/McGovern do fine without having such high averages.

I think all schools can increase rankings if they send coupons to restaurants if you rank them high. Like a $5 coupon to Red Lobster or something. It would work for me.

• Haha
I actually think it's easier to refine looks over zoom. I am ugly af but I bought a ring light and I look so much better :rofl:
Seconding this. Did you know Zoom has "touch up my appearance" options, and for women, you can even give yourself makeup on Zoom. I've sat for all of my interviews with minimal real makeup but enough Zoom makeup to make me look presentable :rofl:

• Wow
  • Haha
Definitely test it out first, the “touch up” setting made me look like I was gunning for plastics.

• Haha
Yes, I personally think it works better with women than men haha. You may also need to play around with your room lighting in order to make it work, but I am pleasantly pleased with the results ;)

I'm going to the presocial tonight at 7 PM and I interview tomorrow! I hope to see you guys soon, too! :) If y'all wanna hang out with me before the social on Zoom or something, PM me! :D

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Good luck! Long's interview day was really fun and chill :)

• Love
This is quite late, but I received an II on 10/18! Super surprised by the invitation and looking forward to my interview tomorrow. My complete application had been received by the school on 07/29.

• Love
OOS II today!!!! So excited :)
P.S. This is my third TMDSAS interview... I was completely shocked as an OOS person to get more TMDSAS than AMCAS interviews so far and was wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences/has any insight as to why this might be?

Last edited:
  • Love
P.S. This is my third TMDSAS interview... I was completely shocked as an OOS person to get more TMDSAS than AMCAS interviews so far and was wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences/has any insight as to why this might be?
The nice thing about TMDSAS schools for OOS students is that you don't have to demonstrate ties to Texas, but you are usually invited due to
a) great stats
b) mission fit

The nice thing about TMDSAS schools for OOS students is that you don't have to demonstrate ties to Texas, but you are usually invited due to
a) great stats
b) mission fit
And we Texans are nice to everyone, will give you instate tuition once you are admitted, but control who we let in - only 10%. :)

Apparently Long has been breaking some of those rules about 10% but as long as State doesn't come after them, we will take you.

• Love
This is quite late, but I received an II on 10/18! Super surprised by the invitation and looking forward to my interview tomorrow. My complete application had been received by the school on 07/29.
We are only at 60% of the season. Dont be going around scaring people!

• Haha
you must have some highfalutin numbers. spill.

I am actually in the same boat. I have gotten 3 TMDSAS interviews (AND MY FIRST ACCEPTANCE!!) and 3 AMCAS interviews. I was confused at first, but I am just rolling with it. I have not been invited to interview at Long though. PM me if you want!

• Love
I'm going to the presocial tonight at 7 PM and I interview tomorrow! I hope to see you guys soon, too! :) If y'all wanna hang out with me before the social on Zoom or something, PM me! :D
Good luck tomorrow!!

• Love
You got this!!

• Love
I am actually in the same boat. I have gotten 3 TMDSAS interviews (AND MY FIRST ACCEPTANCE!!) and 3 AMCAS interviews. I was confused at first, but I am just rolling with it. I have not been invited to interview at Long though. PM me if you want!
Superstar situations!! You've got the goods!

Interview in less than 12 hours. I'll be listening to this until then. Take care y'all!

at the end of the interview, make sure to ask where to find the best tacos in SA. If they don’t say Ricky’s then it’s bad vibes.

you must have some highfalutin numbers. spill.
MCAT 515, cGPA 3.96, sGPA 3.9 (shoutout to TMDSAS for turning +/- grades into just letters and boosting my GPA...)

And as someone with ties to Texas who has been blown away by all the love/support in these threads and in interviews, all I can say is that I'm super hopeful to join y'all next year ;)

• Love
  • Care
Same boat! I've had 7 TMDSAS interviews, but only 3 AMCAS interviews. I think that Texas is just hungry for some OOS action

Same boat! I've had 7 TMDSAS interviews, but only 3 AMCAS interviews. I think that Texas is just hungry for some OOS action
its all in your numbers. Texas has 10% OOS seats and only talk to people with good GPAs and MCAT scores to fill those seats.

Dr. Kellaway wanted me to tell y'all that Long has a 100% Couples Match so that you can match with your spouse, who had a high GPA and MCAT score to have received that II from Texas.

Dr. Kellaway wanted me to tell y'all that Long has a 100% Couples Match so that you can match with your spouse, who had a high GPA and MCAT score to have received that II from Texas.
Are you joking? I never heard of couples matching for med school @MCAThiccy

Regarding the interview, the interview was the most anticlimatic interview that I've had. The first faculty interview was around 20 minutes because he had technical difficulties. Then he legit asked one question and then asked me to clarify some activities on my application. Afterwards, he allowed me to ask several questions. We had ten minutes of silence to which he stated, "Well, the interview was fantastic, though I didn't really have to ask you much. I'll cut my camera and audio and give you a break." He's a nice guy.
As for the student, very nice II experience. Really up-played my application and said, "I want to paint the best picture of you to the council. So you did X, which is impressive. Can you go into further detail? Tacos? Yeah, I eat at [some place; I forgot]." Again, the interview lasted around 20 minutes with 5 minutes of me asking questions. I left the session five minutes early, as did he.
If you interview here, don't stress about it. I was not asked Why Us.
I will say this, the students here are happy and silly. During your student interview, crack a few jokes. The student said that the council looks for students who are personable and that his sheet has things to look for, humor being one of the items.

The school is nice, too. My mentor in high school graduated from Long after he left his teaching job. Would I rank it above UTMB? I would say no. The beach is a huge draw for me. Long does not have a meal plan (I like to eat) and has issues with parking. The students say that metered parking is available. The school is also big on "actually being holistic." I'm not sure why they gave me the II if they want a higher MCAT score or something, but here I am.
Dr. K was really nice; she is funny and down to earth, and very humble. She wanted to emphasize that this would be the best interview experience ever! (In reality, it was good.) I liked the school, though I have to do more research in terms of ranking it. For now, I would say Baylor>McGovern>UTMB>Long (though UTMB and Long ranking may change). What do you think @texasvandy

• Wow
Reactions: 7 users
Regarding the interview, the interview was the most anticlimatic interview that I've had. The first faculty interview was around 20 minutes because he had technical difficulties. Then he legit asked one question and then asked me to clarify some activities on my application. Afterwards, he allowed me to ask several questions. We had ten minutes of silence to which he stated, "Well, the interview was fantastic, though I didn't really have to ask you much. I'll cut my camera and audio and give you a break." He's a nice guy.
As for the student, very nice II experience. Really up-played my application and said, "I want to paint the best picture of you to the council. So you did X, which is impressive. Can you go into further detail? Tacos? Yeah, I eat at [some place; I forgot]." Again, the interview lasted around 20 minutes with 5 minutes of me asking questions. I left the session five minutes early, as did he.
If you interview here, don't stress about it. I was not asked Why Us.
I will say this, the students here are happy and silly. During your student interview, crack a few jokes. The student said that the council looks for students who are personable and that his sheet has things to look for, humor being one of the items.

The school is nice, too. My mentor in high school graduated from Long after he left his teaching job. Would I rank it above UTMB? I would say no. The beach is a huge draw for me. Long does not have a meal plan (I like to eat) and has issues with parking. The students say that metered parking is available. The school is also big on "actually being holistic." I'm not sure why they gave me the II if they want a higher MCAT score or something, but here I am.
Dr. K was really nice; she is funny and down to earth, and very humble. She wanted to emphasize that this would be the best interview experience ever! (In reality, it was good.) I liked the school, though I have to do more research in terms of ranking it. For now, I would say Baylor>McGovern>UTMB>Long (though UTMB and Long ranking may change). What do you think @texasvandy
I'm gonna hit you up sometime this weekend to discuss ranking. Would be nice to compare notes. Taking my wife out on a a dat tonight, or else I'd start the convo right now. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

• Love