2022-2023 Texas Tech El Paso (Foster)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You are definitely not too late. They'll have some applications to get through before yours but that's not a big deal.

Members don't see this ad.

II today!! Looks like the email came in just under two hours ago, but we were out for my wife's birthday so I just got it. Over the moon, especially as I predicted I'd get one today because it's her birthday lol!

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II today!! Looks like the email came in just under two hours ago, but we were out for my wife's birthday so I just got it. Over the moon, especially as I predicted I'd get one today because it's her birthday lol!

Congrats!! I got one on my husband’s birthday (Monday). Apparently it’s a good luck thing lol!

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Congrats!! I got one on my husband’s birthday (Monday). Apparently it’s a good luck thing lol!

I love it!! Congratulations! Can I celebrate my kids' birthdays in July/August to speed this cycle up? Haha!!

I love it!! Congratulations! Can I celebrate my kids' birthdays in July/August to speed this cycle up? Haha!!

Lol! Thank you! Glad to see a fellow nontrad with kids in this process. :) Good luck to you and your family!!

• Care
Lol! Thank you! Glad to see a fellow nontrad with kids in this process. :) Good luck to you and your family!!

Agreed! Thank you so much. Best of fortune to you and your family as well! You'll do great!

Just want to say my interview here went great… it was my first ever interview and the interviewers alleviated my stress completely.

Reactions: 9 users
Wow! Just got an II today. I submitted my secondaries and completed my entire application on 07/24, so 8 days ago. In-state. I was very surprised at the speed.

Wow! Just got an II today. I submitted my secondaries and completed my entire application on 07/24, so 8 days ago. In-state. I was very surprised at the speed.

They really like you!! Congratulations!

• Care
They really like you!! Congratulations!
Haha, thank you so much! I saw all your previous comments, so the biggest congratulations to you, and good luck on your interview! I hope everyone in this thread the best of luck as well :)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II earlier today, 71 LM, OOS, ORM, complete on 6/1/22, great ECs, (hopefully) strong LOR, and meaningful ties to the area!

Reactions: 1 users
II at 1:45 PM CST today. IS, ORM, 73 LM. Secondary submitted on 7/24.

Does anyone know any students that attend the college to get better insight on the school? I've noticed on the DO school threads there's always students that go out of their way to answer peoples' questions. I didn't know if these threads would have students like that as well.

Last edited:
Does anyone know any students that attend the college to get better insight on the school? I've noticed on the DO school threads there's always students that go out of their way to answer peoples' questions. I didn't know if these threads would have students like that as well.
There will always be someone who answers a question but you have not asked any here yet?

There will always be someone who answers a question but you have not asked any here yet?
I was looking to DM a student, but it makes more sense for me to just post my questions here then. For anyone who's a student at the college could you please give insight on the following:

1. Pros / cons of the school?
2. I'm not fluent in Spanish, so I was wondering what level of Spanish is taught? How difficult it is to manage while studying for other classes? How is it graded? (like is it just online quizes, online exams, or verbal exams)
3. There's an account called "Exposing_ttuhsc" on instagram and reddit making negative claims about the school. The person also made a petition on change.com trying to get rid of the dean and faculty members. I was wondering how representative these claims are on the Instagram page? Is there a student who attends who can comment on their perspective of the account being made?

I was looking to DM a student, but it makes more sense for me to just post my questions here then. For anyone who's a student at the college could you please give insight on the following:

2. I'm not fluent in Spanish, so I was wondering what level of Spanish is taught? How difficult it is to manage while studying for other classes? How is it graded? (like is it just online quizes, online exams, or verbal exams)
3. There's an account called "Exposing_ttuhsc" on instagram and reddit making negative claims about the school. The person also made a petition on change.com trying to get rid of the dean and faculty members. I was wondering how representative these claims are on the Instagram page? Is there a student who attends who can comment on their perspective of the account being made?
I cant answer other questions but I have heard some info about Q2.

There is training before school for 6 or 8 weeks where you are taught medical spanish to be able to speak to patients. I am not aware of continuing classes but I would let someone answer that part. The students usually start almost right after undergrad (early to mid june) for Spoken medical spanish classes - full time.

I know a few current students and one who just started a pediatric residency and none of them have ever complained about their experiences.

I cant answer other questions but I have heard some info about Q2.

There is training before school for 6 or 8 weeks where you are taught medical spanish to be able to speak to patients. I am not aware of continuing classes but I would let someone answer that part. The students usually start almost right after undergrad (early to mid june) for Spoken medical spanish classes - full time.

I know a few current students and one who just started a pediatric residency and none of them have ever complained about their experiences.
If I am not mistaken, these classes are mandatory even for people who studied spanish in high school.

Just finished my interview day, and it was really phenomenal. The faculty, staff, and students do a great job of talking up the school and making you feel comfortable. One of my interviews got cut short, and the interviewer called me at a later time so we could finish our conversation. For a first interview, I could not have been better supported. Good luck to everyone interviewing!!

• Wow
Reactions: 10 users

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
II a few minutes ago! LM 74, URM, Complete 8/15, Secondary Submitted 8/7.

II a few minutes ago! LM 74, URM, Complete 8/15, Secondary Submitted 8/7.
At 9:44 PM? For real?!
1661309109270.png

• Haha
Also got the II at 9:45pm at night haha. Secondary complete 8/18, ORM, LM 74.

Thoughts or knowledge @wysdoc on whether Foster has a similar auto-invite algorithm comparable to UTSW? An 8-day turnaround from completion to II seems quite fast for a thorough review of application materials.

Probably not auto-II, but your high stats plus maybe URM status pushed you up to the top of the pile. That's pretty common for schools afaik.

Probably not auto-II, but your high stats plus maybe URM status pushed you up to the top of the pile. That's pretty common for schools afaik.
Agree with this analysis. Also since the flow of incoming new applications is slowing down a lot, they can read new ones more quickly than they could in June & July.
If this school interests you, show your enthusiasm at the interview :)

Thoughts or knowledge @wysdoc on whether Foster has a similar auto-invite algorithm comparable to UTSW? An 8-day turnaround from completion to II seems quite fast for a thorough review of application materials.
I had a similar situation since I also received an II 8 days after completing my application. My LM is 74.9 but I am ORM. However, I wrote extensively about serving underserved communities and have relevant experiences. I bet that having certain aspects of your application match what they are looking for in their students/what they talk of in their mission also helps put applications towards the top! Congratulations on having a quick response :)

I also got a II quickly after my complete date (5 days after, actually), ORM but I have ties to the city so not sure if that helped!

502, ORM, LM 66, and no ties to El Paso. I had both my interviews for this school today, and they were awesome :). It was very laid-back and conversational. They also take a holistic approach when selecting students, so don't feel discouraged if you have a low 500's MCAT score.

502, ORM, LM 66, and no ties to El Paso. I had both my interviews for this school today, and they were awesome :). It was very laid-back and conversational. They also take a holistic approach when selecting students, so don't feel discouraged if you have a low 500's MCAT score.
Are interviews open file for this school?

When did you submit?

Are interviews open file for this school?
I'd honestly be prepared for both types since students can have several diff interviewers. I saw you had ties to the city! They will love that, and it can seperate you over applicants like myself who've never stepped foot there.

What is the format of the interview here? Is it traditional or MMI?