2022-2023 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYITCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can someone send me an invite to the accepted discord server please?

Here you go, Knight Artorias.

Members don't see this ad.

Can any current or alum NYITCOM students talk about what goes on at orientation?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can any current or alum NYITCOM students talk about what goes on at orientation?
Your incoming class has a shorter orientation than the class of 2026 but essentially, they have presentations from different people, programs, and a tour of the buildings. We had our white coat ceremony during orientation week but that doesn't seem to be the case this year. You will however, get your iPad during orientation. I attached the orientation schedule we got for the class of 2026.

Attachments

• Orientation - Class of 2026 - August 8-11, 2022 - Agenda (1).pdf
    122.1 KB · Views: 177
Your incoming class has a shorter orientation than the class of 2026 but essentially, they have presentations from different people, programs, and a tour of the buildings. We had our white coat ceremony during orientation week but that doesn't seem to be the case this year. You will however, get your iPad during orientation. I attached the orientation schedule we got for the class of 2026.
Absolute unit!

Interviewed 2/22 (IS) and still havent heard back yet, but that post-interview survey email earlier today did make my heart race for a minute. Maybe this week?

Do we need to get the following (OR) will it be given by NYIT?
stethoscope
scrubs
ophthalmoscope
BP cuff/sphygmomanometer

I am assuming they are giving us the White coat (The form they had fill out had the size measurements)

stethoscope
scrubs
ophthalmoscope
BP cuff/sphygmomanometer

I am assuming they are giving us the White coat (The form they had fill out had the size measurements)
NYITCOM will send out a school equipment ordering form that will have all the medical equipment you listed plus a reflex hammer and tuning forks. You can buy cheaper alternatives but they have to be approved by the school. You do not need to buy a stethoscope. You will get a stethoscope with your name on it from the school (there is a stethoscope ceremony). You will get your white coat most likely during orientation. SCRUBS ARE A MUST. Set aside a cheap set for anatomy lab. The formaldehyde smell will linger and most people jut throw away their anatomy scrubs once anatomy lab is over. I recommend getting at least 4 pairs of scrubs. The school will give you your own set of scrubs with your name on it but they were given way later in the winter and the sizing of them wasn't really that great, so get your own for sure!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

A. OMM LABORATORY DRESS CODE POLICY​

• Students must wear clothing that allows skin exposure of the neck, abdomen, spine, posterior superior iliac spine (PSIS), knees, ankles, and feet.
  • It is expected that undergarments will be worn under clothing at all times.
  • Students may wear plain T-shirts and/or scrub wear when not the subject of examination or treatment but must remove them when required in the particular laboratory session.
  • The wearing of street clothes, sweat pants, or other types of clothing not specified herein, is not permitted.
  • A dedicated set of scrubs must be used for OMM labs, and these cannot be the same ones used for anatomy lab.
  • Students are expected to keep fingernails neat, clean, and trimmed as to not impair palpation or cause discomfort or injury to peers and patients.
  • The wearing of hats or other head coverings, except for religious and health reasons, is not permitted.
  • The OMM curriculum includes the requirement of hand contact by a partner with the student's head. Students who cover their heads for religious reasons must participate and may wear a thin scarf-like cloth, or another appropriate covering.
  • The dress code applies to all OMM laboratory sessions and examinations.
  • Students are not to chew gum, eat candy or bring any food or drinks to the laboratory.

B. DPR LABORATORY DRESS CODE POLICY​

• Students are required to adhere to the OMM dress code policy above, and are required to wear their white coats. In addition, students may be required to provide access to additional regions of the body for examination and practice of physical examination skills.

C. ANATOMY LABORATORY DRESS CODE POLICY​

Proper attire for the anatomy lab is defined as follows:

• A dedicated set of scrubs, to be worn only in the anatomy lab. These may be worn over warmer clothing if scrubs alone are not warm enough.
  • Closed-toed shoes. Absolutely no open-toed shoes or sandals are permitted.
  • Students shall confine long hair and secure loose clothing and jewelry before beginning lab.
  • Because contact lenses and cosmetics can absorb chemical vapors, we recommend that they not be worn in the lab.

D. INSTITUTE FOR CLINICAL COMPETENCE (ICC) PROFESSIONAL DRESS CODE AND DEMEANOR POLICY​

Students are expected to dress and act in a professional manner during their scheduled sessions in the ICC. Professional demeanor includes arriving for scheduled events on time, following directions, and treating others with respect and dignity.

• Dress Code for the Standardized Patient (SP) ICC Sessions: Professional attire is required of students during their time in ICC events, whether in person or in a virtual setting. For these exercises and for evaluations, students must wear a white coat and dress in a manner that is appropriate and that is befitting a physician. Students will not be permitted to work with Standardized Patients in any ICC event if they are wearing jeans, street clothes, scrubs, sneakers, flip flops, sandals, etc. Students who present to an activity, whether in person or virtual, without professional attire will be denied access to the session and may receive no academic credit for that activity.
  • Dress Code for the Robotic Simulator or Workshop ICC Sessions: Students must wear a white coat for all sessions. Scrubs are permitted. The wearing of hats or other head coverings, except for religious or health reasons, is not permitted in the ICC laboratory. Students must wear closed-toed shoes.

Reactions: 1 user
Might be a little late asking this, but I submitted my secondary applicationin August last year and I have heard nothing since (No R, WL, or II). I can't check my application portal either. Should I email the admissions committee or is it safe to assume I have been rejected?

Interviews are over for this year. Safe to assume this is not the year you will matriculate to NYITCOM

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks @OddPurpleSky
What color scrubs? Any particular place to order them ?
The color doesn't matter. No particular place to order them. Just make sure you have scrubs. Any kind of scrubs will do. There are cheap ones you can buy on Amazon for less than 25 dollars.

Members don't see this ad :)
The last link I sent out for the NYITCOM Class of 2027 Discord should have expired by around now. Here is a link that does not expire.
A very kind OMS-1 has taken her time to organize and expand the server. I highly recommend that any accepted student joins it. :giggle:

stethoscope
scrubs
ophthalmoscope
BP cuff/sphygmomanometer

what form is this ??? I can't remember getting a form that asked about white coat measurements :/

Called admissions a while ago and she said interviewees should expect to hear back by April 18, all at once. and that As are still going to be given out. suggested writing an update letter/ letter of interest

Reactions: 4 users
i think it was the form to get the housing list. it had scrub measurements and name pronunciation i think???
what form is this ??? I can't remember getting a form that asked about white coat measurements :/

• Hmm
i think it was the form to get the housing list. it had scrub measurements and name pronunciation i think???
maybe this is a NY campus thing ??? going to try and cross post this in the jonesboro campus thread to see if its just me that can't remember doing this.....

Yes, I also filled out the form with size measurements. Why would they ask for scrub measurements when we are suppose to procure them.

Called admissions a while ago and she said interviewees should expect to hear back by April 18, all at once. and that As are still going to be given out. suggested writing an update letter/ letter of interest
where do we send supplemental letters?

Yes, I also filled out the form with size measurements. Why would they ask for scrub measurements when we are suppose to procure them.
You will also get a pair of scrubs with your name on them from the school. Just a warning, the scrubs run big so make sure you are accurate with giving your measurements. The scrubs are also given much later in the semester so you need to buy scrubs for labs before starting medical school.

You will also get a pair of scrubs with your name on them from the school. Just a warning, the scrubs run big so make sure you are accurate with giving your measurements. The scrubs are also given much later in the semester so you need to buy scrubs for labs before starting medical school.
Now I wish I didn't order larger than my dimensions. I figured I would grow into them. :cryi:

Lol I got a very last minute interview invite and interviewed 4/11 do I have any hope of getting an A

I think I asked this before but does anyone know if wl moves and when it typically moves?

I think I asked this before but does anyone know if wl moves and when it typically moves?
The trafficking guidelines for MD schools now take effect, so you should start seeing WL movement by Monday, I would think.

Does anyone know what the process is to send nyitcom updated transcripts? I realized the transcript I applied with on AACOMAS doesn’t have the date my degree was conferred since my transcript carried over from the previous year when I thought I was going to apply but ended up not! Do I have to request an official one and have it emailed electronically to admissions? Or Does it get mailed to their office? And should I send an email to them in addition explaining that I requested a new transcript?

The critical dates are May 2nd (MD deadline) and z May 15th (DO deadline). The best WL movement would be between May16-June1st.

Does anyone know what the process is to send nyitcom updated transcripts? I realized the transcript I applied with on AACOMAS doesn’t have the date my degree was conferred since my transcript carried over from the previous year when I thought I was going to apply but ended up not! Do I have to request an official one and have it emailed electronically to admissions? Or Does it get mailed to their office? And should I send an email to them in addition explaining that I requested a new transcript?
Just request a regular transcript from the school to be sent to NYITCOM.

Any one who applied for DO/PHD here? If so, I want to have a separate chat.

How is the 4th year rotation? I just read on the Jonesboro thread that the students have to arrange on their own for 4th year rotation? IS this true or incorrect?
I can only comment on OW. The school has its list of hospitals at which you can do your 4th-year rotations. It's the same as the 3rd-year list. The problem is that most of these hospitals are community hospitals. During 4th year you ideally want to do your Sub-I's at university hospitals with residency programs so the school can't help you there. Also, community hospitals tend to not offer subspecialty rotations so if you want to do those rotations you also have to apply on your own. There are 8 rotation slots in 4th year, the school helped me get two of mine. I'll have to apply on VSLO for most of the rest. Speaking to other 3rd years this seems like a common theme.

Anyone know how or when we can apply for the DO/MS dual degrees? I'm interested in the MS in nutrition, and I'm considering the academic medicine program.

I am only aware of DO/Ph.D program that requires you to first get the DO admission before you can even apply for Ph.D. The Ph.D admission requires much higher MCAT and prior research experience.

If you got the "A" shoot an email ( from where u got the "A" letter) and ask them .

I was told for any MS/DO programs the school chooses DO applicants and invites them for an interview. It is not something students can apply to.

Anyone know how or when we can apply for the DO/MS dual degrees? I'm interested in the MS in nutrition, and I'm considering the academic medicine program.
I believe you can apply during your second year for the academic medicine program. As for the other MS programs, I'm not as sure but you can always e-mail the academic affairs office and ask.

Anyone on the waitlist hear back?

I was told for any MS/DO programs the school chooses DO applicants and invites them for an interview. It is not something students can apply to.
Do you know why they pick certain applicants for that? I got an email for the MS/DO program almost a month after being waitlisted and I’m concerned that it’s their way of rejecting me for the fall 2023 class. I hope that’s not the case but I’d really appreciate if someone can explain it to me. Also, if they decided to reject me when would they do it? I’ve been on the waitlist since February and I hope they don’t tell me in July or August when it’s too late.

Spoke to admissions today. They said their class is currently full.
I thought that there was supposed to be some waitlist movement soon according to previous threads. Does that mean that those on the waitlist won’t be accepted? I’m asking because they said that waitlist movement is up until classes begin. I don’t know how the class being full affects those on the waitlist.

Can someone please clarify? I’m sweating out here

someone correct me if im wrong, but nearly every school says this when they mean they have given out all (or enough) of their post-II direct As to fill the class. now is the time where everyone who got an A can start narrowing down their list and obviously not everyone who got an A here is gonna be attending. once people start withdrawing their As, then the WL movement begins until their class is ~actually~ full with direct As and WL As who are actually committed to attending the school

Reactions: 3 users
someone correct me if im wrong, but nearly every school says this when they mean they have given out all (or enough) of their post-II direct As to fill the class. now is the time where everyone who got an A can start narrowing down their list and obviously not everyone who got an A here is gonna be attending. once people start withdrawing their As, then the WL movement begins until their class is ~actually~ full with direct As and WL As who are actually committed to attending the school

Yes exactly