2022-2023 Midwestern University (Glendale, Arizona) AZCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was informed via email on 10/8 that my application had been put on the waitlist for a potential future interview invite. Does anyone have any experience with this? Do they move through this list quickly? I haven’t heard of any other schools using a waitlist for interviews.
not sure about how fast they move through the list but I'm on interview hold (waitlist) for a few MDs so its definitely normal but lowkey dumb

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I was informed via email on 10/8 that my application had been put on the waitlist for a potential future interview invite. Does anyone have any experience with this? Do they move through this list quickly? I haven’t heard of any other schools using a waitlist for interviews.
I don't know at what speed they pull from II waitlist vs people who weren't put on it, but they do interview through the end of May, and people are accepted on those final interview dates. I think last year it was around now that they started pulling off it.

I keep repeating myself but ALL schools basically use an internal II waitlist - if you aren't outright rejected or given an II, you're on their waitlist. You're in limbo. Same thing here. AZCOM is just letting you know that you're on it.
I'm starting to think they should just send a generic "your app is still in the running & we haven't forgotten about you" email since everyone gets twisted up about the WL wording.

Reactions: 2 users
for the secondary asking me to upload a cv, do I basically just download my works/activities and attach it?

Members don't see this ad :)
for the secondary asking me to upload a cv, do I basically just download my works/activities and attach it?

I used my regular old resume. Didn’t even try to change it too much cause I was lazy. Just glanced over for errors. I don’t think it matters that much cause I recieved a II and was accepted. I think the interviews are semi-closed so one of the things your interviewers have access to is the resume

Last edited:
I used my regular old resume. Didn’t even try to change it too much cause I was lazy. Just glanced over for errors. I don’t think it matters that much cause I recieved a II and was accepted. I think the interviews are semi-closed so one of the things your interviewers have access to are the resume
Did the same, also got accepted

Reactions: 1 users
Complete mid August - if I havent heard back by now, shall I assume its a R?

I got a waitlist for an interview back in October... Is this basically an R at this school?

The waitlist email said "Your application was deemed to possess enough merit to be held for future review and this should be viewed as a positive result", but honestly I don't know.

Has anyone who got an II waitlist get an interview yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone get an email with a newsletter addressing you as an accepted student before you got an acceptance letter?

Anyone get an email with a newsletter addressing you as an accepted student before you got an acceptance letter?
Yes, I checked the portal after and there was an accepted students checklist!!! They told me during my interview that they sometimes upload the checklist before they send out the email

Just curious, what is the point of a pre-II hold? Most schools do rolling admissions and say you should send your app in as early as possible so that you can have the best chance of getting an interview, but then they tell you they want to wait to review more apps and hold your application to compare it for competitiveness within the greater applicant pool... lol what

I got that this morning, but missed the word "acceptance"! Just checked the portal and the accepted checklist was there! Thanks lol

Edit: checked my inbox again and I got the official acceptance email as well!

Last edited:
Congrats everyone! Just re-posting the Discord I set up for you guys - classes of '26 and '25 use ours heavily so just keeping it going!

If I pay the $200 and sign the matriculation agreement is that like a "commit to enroll" which is binding or a "plan to enroll" which just lets you hold on to your acceptance spot?

II just now complete sometime in July

Does anyone know (besides the comfort/fun of the location) how CCOM compares to AZCOM? Got into CCOM awhile ago but just got a II to here

Does anyone know (besides the comfort/fun of the location) how CCOM compares to AZCOM? Got into CCOM awhile ago but just got a II to here
I’m under the impression that CCOM has better rotation sites and more research opportunities. I could be wrong tho.

I’m under the impression that CCOM has better rotation sites and more research opportunities. I could be wrong tho.

Can't speak to CCOM but there's ample opportunity for lab research as an M1/M2 - I think about 25 faculty members have labs that take student help.
The school admittedly has been less than helpful to those of us who are only interested in clinical research, but the M2-3s who went the same direction have been a good resource for how to go about getting it on your own.

Dunno about the rotation differences, or if CCOM does things differently, but AZCOM makes you pick a region to go to. The only region option with residency-based rotations is Chicago and there are ~12 seats.
The other regions are all preceptor-based, though they make sure you get at least one IM rotation with a residency as well as a second rotation of your choice.

So yeah if you care about what environment your rotations are in, that could be a factor if CCOM does things differently. Personally, I don't think the location of AZCOM is particularly "fun", it's basically in a suburb and is a solid 30 minute drive to any nightlife or most of the attractions people come for. I don't know what Downer's Grove is like though, could be the same. I think the only real difference in non-academic matters is going to be the weather.

Can't speak to CCOM but there's ample opportunity for lab research as an M1/M2 - I think about 25 faculty members have labs that take student help.
The school admittedly has been less than helpful to those of us who are only interested in clinical research, but the M2-3s who went the same direction have been a good resource for how to go about getting it on your own.

Dunno about the rotation differences, or if CCOM does things differently, but AZCOM makes you pick a region to go to. The only region option with residency-based rotations is Chicago and there are ~12 seats.
The other regions are all preceptor-based, though they make sure you get at least one IM rotation with a residency as well as a second rotation of your choice.

So yeah if you care about what environment your rotations are in, that could be a factor if CCOM does things differently. Personally, I don't think the location of AZCOM is particularly "fun", it's basically in a suburb and is a solid 30 minute drive to any nightlife or most of the attractions people come for. I don't know what Downer's Grove is like though, could be the same. I think the only real difference in non-academic matters is going to be the weather.
Downer's is the same tbh, basic suburb but still has some things around (IL native)

Can you elaborate a bit more on the differences berween residency based and preceptor based rotations?

Can you elaborate a bit more on the differences berween residency based and preceptor based rotations?
I honestly asked this question myself in the DO Students forum, should be on page 1 still.

From what I gather though:

For preceptor-based, you are assigned to a single doctor. You go with them to clinic, hospitals, teaching at AZCOM workshops, etc. If you get a really cool attending who wants to teach, you may have a great experience and get a great LOR. However, you might get one who wants to treat you like a scribe, or sends you home in 3 hours without learning anything, or you may just not click and you're stuck with them for 2-4 weeks.

Residency-based, exactly what it sounds like. You go with the whole program, so you're alongside the residents as well as the attending. Apparently this is better for learning how to be a resident and doing well on audition rotations and sub-Is in 4th year. You can also fish from a bigger pool of people for a LOR if you want one for that specialty.

Residency-based is a bit less paperwork and whatnot, and you get to stay put (if that's your bag) - you're only being credentialed for one hospital system, learning one EMR, etc. Preceptor-based, if your surgeon attending operates out of 3 different hospital systems, that's a bit of a pain, but it could also expose you to a lot of different work cultures and such, if you're interested in residencies that are in any of those hospitals.

I honestly asked this question myself in the DO Students forum, should be on page 1 still.

From what I gather though:

For preceptor-based, you are assigned to a single doctor. You go with them to clinic, hospitals, teaching at AZCOM workshops, etc. If you get a really cool attending who wants to teach, you may have a great experience and get a great LOR. However, you might get one who wants to treat you like a scribe, or sends you home in 3 hours without learning anything, or you may just not click and you're stuck with them for 2-4 weeks.

Residency-based, exactly what it sounds like. You go with the whole program, so you're alongside the residents as well as the attending. Apparently this is better for learning how to be a resident and doing well on audition rotations and sub-Is in 4th year. You can also fish from a bigger pool of people for a LOR if you want one for that specialty.

Residency-based is a bit less paperwork and whatnot, and you get to stay put (if that's your bag) - you're only being credentialed for one hospital system, learning one EMR, etc. Preceptor-based, if your surgeon attending operates out of 3 different hospital systems, that's a bit of a pain, but it could also expose you to a lot of different work cultures and such, if you're interested in residencies that are in any of those hospitals.
That’s very helpful. Thank you so much for the detailed response!

Just got an interview haha. Submitted my secondary in August! any tips? (Canadian applicant by the way)

II this morning at 2am. 518, 3.9, complete late September. OOS but from and lived in AZ for 95% of my life

II this morning at 1AM. Complete late August. Canadian. 513 and 3.75 GPA. My first II so super excited!

Received a II this morning (Canadian applicant)! To my fellow Canadian applicants, are you attending in person or virtually?

Received a II this morning (Canadian applicant)! To my fellow Canadian applicants, are you attending in person or virtually?
I am doing it virtually! most because I am getting surgery done soon and wont be able to attend.

Interviewing here soon and wondered if anyone could shed light on the interview style! I haven't gotten much info about the set up so I am curious if it is a one-on-one, panel, or group interview? Traditional or MMI-style questions? anything is helpful!

Interviewing here soon and wondered if anyone could shed light on the interview style! I haven't gotten much info about the set up so I am curious if it is a one-on-one, panel, or group interview? Traditional or MMI-style questions? anything is helpful!
It is a 30 minute, 2-on-1 interview. Faculty interviewers and traditional questions. Open file, not sure if they have scores but they have your essays and ECs.

Dropping this link here again for any accepted students!

Yoooo. Current third year here. SDN can be a helpful and harmful place during app season. I always appreciated the legitimate advice from matriculated students when I was going through my applications. PM if you have any questions or whatever!!

Why does this school have ridiculously high tuition?
Because they can LOL

You do get an excellent quality of education (can't speak past preclinicals yet though) but yeah, my classmates and I have definitely looked around and wondered where $19 million of tuition from ONE class in ONE program goes.

There's a lot of minor gripes we all have that could be fixed for future classes by putting some of that cash to use but c'est la vie.

How long after an interview does the portal get updated with the "Accepted Student Checklist"? Has anyone who interviewed this month gotten this?

Has anyone who was interview waitlisted received an interview? It looks like some people last year received one around this time