2021-2022 Eastern Virginia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They just sent out an email and gave me a heart attack, but it was just to beg people to stop calling them for updates on the waitlist. I’m glad I never called them because it looks like it was getting pretty annoying to them.
Me too lol

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
They just sent out an email and gave me a heart attack, but it was just to beg people to stop calling them for updates on the waitlist. I’m glad I never called them because it looks like it was getting pretty annoying to them.
I was scared af to open that email. I thought it was going to say something along the lines of, "Thank you for your interest but the class is now full." I'm confident their next email will complete the process of causing our heart attacks.

At this point the class is full and has been full for a while, if you exclude the seats they were holding for the graduating medical masters classes. They are finalizing those acceptances now. Bulk of waitlist movement has kind of already occurred and I would expect it to be slow from here on out. Maybe a burst after the final CTE date. Wishing the best of luck to all of you and fingers crossed for more movement!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The miracle has come my way. Accepted this morning OOS top tier!!! It’s been a surreal day and as someone who thought this cycle was over for me, i genuinely hope that you all receive the goods news you’ve been waiting on.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Accepted yesterday OOS top tier! So excited and I really love this school. Don’t lose hope yet, WL movement is still happening!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Hello Y'all, rising M3 checking in. Congratulations to all that have been accepted to EVMS! And for all of you still on the waitlist fingers crossed you get off! Just took step1 earlier this month and I used this page when I applied to medical school so I wanted to pay it back now. If y'all have any questions please feel free to ask here or message me directly. I'm an OOS student who had to move to Virginia so I can speak on that as well as housing in Norfolk area...I know some of you may be trying to figure that out this time of year. Disclaimer: I am by no means an expert on any one subject i.e. n=1 but just looking to help out!

What is the best place for housing as an M1? Which area is as close to the school as possible while also being very nice and having good amenities? Would you say a car is necessary? Finally, how do you like the school overall?
The best place for housing as an M1 is whatever fits your needs, preferences, and budget. Based on my experience I will say most students live in handful of places located in Ghent or Downtown Norfolk. Ghent is a closer to school but Downtown Norfolk is a 15 minute walk to campus(depending on where downtown) or a 5 minute car ride. Downtown Norfolk is more expensive but is located downtown which has lots of coffee shops, foods, things to do. Here are a few places that people live. I can't speak on behalf of all these places, just that fellow students live at these places.

1) 201 Twenty One (201 Twenty One | Welcome to 201 Twenty One Apartments)
2) Belmont at Freemason(Belmont at Freemason | Apartments in Downtown Norfolk, VA)
3)Hague Park Apartments(City Living with a view)
4) Alexander at Ghent(Alexander Apartments | Home)
5) Rent Miscellaneous apartments in the Ghent area closer to EVMS campus

Disclaimer: I would always ask for EVMS student discounts AND this is not an all inclusive list, this is just a few off the top of my head. I can speak to where I live if anyone wants to message me privately, but regarding "which area is as close to school as possible while also being very nice and having good amenities" is a tough question. A car is not absolutely necessary and if it is a financial burden then you don't need it, I would just try to live in an apartment in the Ghent area/close to campus. A few of my colleagues live in that area and have a 5 minute walk to and from campus everyday. But like always having a car is nice especially because it does rain frequently in Norfolk, and being able to travel and explore Norfolk, and the surround cities is nice as well. I would just sit down google Norfolk, VA apartments and look in and around the Ghent/Downtown area, ask for discounts, get prices, and do virtual tours if you are not in the area. Then make a pro/con list and make a decision from there based off works best for you. You can always talk to incoming students and rent a four bedroom house. That is an option as well.

Overall, EVMS is a solid MD program and I am happy to be here. We are by no means John Hopkins, Harvard, UCSF of the medical school world, but routinely have a respectable match list and support system at the school to help you. We are not a research powerhouse, so if you are looking to match a super top tier residency program, that will definitely be more challenging at EVMS, but not impossible. With that being said, we still have plenty of research opportunities available in all fields of interest. Amongst other resources, we have a wonderful academic development team that will meet with you regularly to help you succeed. I started school during the pandemic, and given that chaotic situation, I feel like EVMS did an excellent job in my preclinical years organizing and preparing a curriculum that allowed me to be successful and safe. A few other miscellaneous things, I love the schools commitment to community service and our exam questions are retired NBME exam questions which I felt helped prepare me for step, and made our exams more doable during the first two years. Sorry for the longer response, but if anyone has additional questions please feel free to ask me! I hope this helps :)

Reactions: 6 users
Just got acceptance from the waitlist email, OOS, top tier.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
@siloaddict you still out here too? Was hoping to hear something but last Friday of June and nothing feels like pretty bad news.

Members don't see this ad :)
same here, top tier waitlist. any idea on EVMS's view of reapplicants? Im reapplying and I'm hoping they'll view my continued interest favorably
Favorable, you receive priority

What is EVMSs CTE deadline? Also any news on WL

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry to post here since I know this should be on the 2022-2023 thread (I can't seem to find it?), but has anyone received the secondary for EVMS for this current cycle?
Also I am a reapplicant, was IS top tier waitlist last cycle

Last edited:
Sorry to post here since I know this should be on the 2022-2023 thread (I can't seem to find it?), but has anyone received the secondary for EVMS for this current cycle?
Wrong thread look harder :)

• Dislike
Thank you to @Ultravox Vienna for sharing this year's questions!

2021-2022 Eastern Virginia Medical School Secondary Essay Prompts: (2000 characters max each)

1. Briefly describe your exposure to medicine.
2. What do you think you will like best about being a physician?
3. What do you think you will like least about being a physician?
4. Describe yourself and your medical career as you see it ten years from now.
5. Please indicate your reasons for applying to EVMS.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
Is there a new thread for 2022-2023?

I am from out of state (1st time applicant) and have not yet received the secondary

Can you attach the link?