2021-2022 Virginia Tech Carilion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
But like why is VTCs pre-II rejection email so mean

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Wow, just now got an II. Didn't expect this at all!! Last interview day in February, probably for a waitlist spot but so happy! Complete mid-August.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
just got an II for feburary 8th yippee! in state complete mid July

Reactions: 2 users
OOS II today! Signed up for the last interview date on Feb 8th.

II today, OOS. Complete early July. Unexpected opportunity, but very excited!

Oh my god I just checked my junk folder and I got an interview...... I am speechless... I thought this cycle was over for me!
Sucky stats in signature.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Oh my god I just checked my junk folder and I got an interview...... I am speechless... I thought this cycle was over for me!
Sucky stats in signature.
I've had more emails from schools go into my junk than my actual email 😭😭 I check it obsessively now

Question about updates - I submitted an update letter where I included a citation for a recent publication I was part of. Should I also upload a PDF version of the publication? The portal specifies that you can upload research abstracts in the "Update My Application" section, I'm just not sure since I already included a citation in the letter.

What do you guys think about the change to H/P/F for MS1/2?
That is a significant con for me, especially seeing as grading will be partially based on qualitative evaluation by profs...

EDIT: This is inaccurate, see my comment below.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
That is a significant con for me, especially seeing as grading will be partially based on qualitative evaluation by profs...
I didn't know that! That's frustrating but happy it's not going to be A-F.

That really sucks. I'm assuming people were probably unhappy with the switch to P/F step 1 and wanted to have some other way to distinguish between people for residency purposes? Adds a lot more stress to the curriculum though

I didn't know that! That's frustrating but happy it's not going to be A-F.
That really sucks. I'm assuming people were probably unhappy with the switch to P/F step 1 and wanted to have some other way to distinguish between people for residency purposes? Adds a lot more stress to the curriculum though

Actually let me correct myself, I may have misinterpreted the source info. I'll quote the post:

"M1/M2 and shelf exams in M3 year are all P/F (pass/fail). There are letters of distinction (or honors) for M1/M2 (PBL, research, basic science, clinical) and each clerkship during M3. This honor/distinction system takes into account exam scores, reviews from your preceptors, and other factors. They have now opened it so that as many students as possible can "honor" if you meet the criteria (as opposed to a cut off of the top x number of students). This will show up in your dean's letter on ERAS (for those unfamiliar, ERAS is the application for residency). There are no letter (A/B/C) grades on your ERAS application."

Actually let me correct myself, I may have misinterpreted the source info. I'll quote the post:

"M1/M2 and shelf exams in M3 year are all P/F (pass/fail). There are letters of distinction (or honors) for M1/M2 (PBL, research, basic science, clinical) and each clerkship during M3. This honor/distinction system takes into account exam scores, reviews from your preceptors, and other factors. They have now opened it so that as many students as possible can "honor" if you meet the criteria (as opposed to a cut off of the top x number of students). This will show up in your dean's letter on ERAS (for those unfamiliar, ERAS is the application for residency). There are no letter (A/B/C) grades on your ERAS application."
Oh, interesting. Thanks for the info! This doesn't seem as bad since I think it's P or P-with honors based on a number of factors.

Oh, interesting. Thanks for the info! This doesn't seem as bad since I think it's P or P-with honors based on a number of factors.
Right? It's a little difficult to interpret... but it sounds like this system would still lend itself to incentivize academic, research, and social 'perfection' on top of winning the favor of preceptors. Though it seems like the only recent change is the 'capless' honors. VTC students seem so happy and friendly with one another though- I reckon that's probably more telling about their culture than this grading scheme is.

Additionally, whether or not there is a 'cap' on Honors given, it's worth considering that the ERAS application may nevertheless show the percentile of students attaining distinction in each section... so if most students were to honor a given section then it wouldn't be a meaningful metric anyways.

Do they tell you ahead of time who your traditional interviewer will be, by chance?

When do you guys think would be the best time to send a letter of interest/update if you're in the active status pool and they won't be making a decision until April?

When do you guys think would be the best time to send a letter of interest/update if you're in the active status pool and they won't be making a decision until April?
I was going to wait till mid March so I have a better idea of opinions and my intent.

Has anyone else not received an II or an R here? It looks like their last interview date is in 3 days so...

Yes!! I even checked the communication status in case I was missing something LOL. Haven't received any communication since 7/30 when I was complete
that’s really frustrating I’m sorry :(

• Care
Has anyone else not received an II or an R here? It looks like their last interview date is in 3 days so...
yea same, haven't received any communication since being complete lol

yea same, haven't received any communication since being complete lol
Super odd. I wish schools would just reject as soon as they know they're going to - especially when they've sent other rejections out already

Super odd. I wish schools would just reject as soon as they know they're going to - especially when they've sent other rejections out already
yea pretty wack. who knows though, maybe we're on a short list if someone drops out for the last interview day lol

Does anyone know if the IMPACT scholarship is merit-based at all? Also since it's about "Inclusion improving Medicine" - is it typically awarded to URMs in medicine?

Pre-II R right now. Complete mid august.

Pre-II R right now. Complete mid august.
+1. No ties to the school or state, but I was in their stat range and have a strong research background so I thought I was a really good fit for the program. All is good though!

just got hit with the pre-II R. OOS LM 69 complete late july ish

• Care
So should we give up hope being on the waitlist? Don’t really have a good idea of waitlist movement here

So should we give up hope being on the waitlist? Don’t really have a good idea of waitlist movement here
I think it varies a lot year to year. In previous years I don't think they had a ton of waitlist movement, but last year there seemed to be a decent amount.

could next week be the week jan/feb interviewers hear back???!
Historically (the last two cycles) it has been the last Tuesday of Feb with interviews happening around the same time as this year's. At interview day they said beginning of March-ish; not sure if that is them giving themselves a bit of insurance or what. Guess we will find out Tuesday!

Historically (the last two cycles) it has been the last Tuesday of Feb with interviews happening around the same time as this year's. At interview day they said beginning of March-ish; not sure if that is them giving themselves a bit of insurance or what. Guess we will find out Tuesday!
I see! fingers crossed today's the day

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
For those accepted/waitlisted - do you see your results on the AAMC Choose Your Medical School tool?

Wowowowow!!! I just got the call, accepted! So freaking excited!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users