2021-2022 Virginia Tech Carilion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Pre-II R as well!!! :) Complete 8/4

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I see Pre-II R's have started to go out. I was completed 7/19. Hopefully I hear something back. I have a feeling they just have not reviewed my application yet and the R is on the way

II about an hour ago for 11/13. Very excited for this one as I'm a re-applicant!

Reactions: 2 users
Pre-II R received this past Wednesday. Complete 9/1. GL everyone else!

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
II early this morning! OOS, 3.6 gpa, 515 MCAT, research heavy app. I was technically complete 10/05 because I forgot to send them my Casper 🤡 Interview in November.

Last edited:
  • Love
Has anyone who interviewed 10/23 heard anything? Expecting the R after feeling a bit discouraged after the MMI portion.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone who interviewed 10/23 heard anything? Expecting the R after feeling a bit discouraged after the MMI portion.
The committee reviews post-interview dates two at a time, since you were the 3rd interview date of the cycle, you won’t hear back until 2-3 weeks after the 4th interview date.

For those of us accepted... what now? Lol do we just wait till fall? is there a facebook group or something?

Reactions: 1 user
For those of us accepted... what now? Lol do we just wait till fall? is there a facebook group or something?
Let’s make friends! Y’all seemed real cool at the pre-interview student social hour!

The Dean told me there’d be some second look dates in the spring, so now I’m just kind of waiting for more information on that. I would really love to see the campus in person.

Anyone have any insight on how this school views update letter and if I should send one before my interview next week? Also, if anyone else is interviewing and wants to discuss ways to prepare or about the school send me a message :)

Anyone have any insight on how this school views update letter and if I should send one before my interview next week? Also, if anyone else is interviewing and wants to discuss ways to prepare or about the school send me a message :)
Not that I'm an expert, but I would just wait until your interview because you can communicate your update then. Unless it's something significant, like a first author publication, your interviewer(s) could convey it to the committee. I would just write the update down to be sure it gets mentioned during your interview when they ask 'is there anything else?' You could also do an update following your interview so that you can include any feedback from your interview/info sessions to say why Carilion is THE school for you.

I interviewed 10/23 and have not heard yet! I will say that in the student meet and greet they told us not to expect to hear until the last week of November or early December.

Who typically makes the Facebook group? The students or the school? Also I’m going to the January second look — hoping to see y’all there!!

The committee reviews post-interview dates two at a time, since you were the 3rd interview date of the cycle, you won’t hear back until 2-3 weeks after the 4th interview date.
And what is the fourth interview date, if someone knows?

Who typically makes the Facebook group? The students or the school? Also I’m going to the January second look — hoping to see y’all there!!
I dont konw to be honest. same i will be going January

Anyone happen to know what the expected timeline is for people who interviewed this weekend? I wasn't able to attend the session on Friday to ask questions

Anyone happen to know what the expected timeline is for people who interviewed this weekend? I wasn't able to attend the session on Friday to ask questions
My traditional interviewer mentioned that there were 48 folks were interviewed this past weekend and that we will probably hear back mid December at the latest. I think the delay is because of thanksgiving and that they will be reviewing the 3rd and 4th interview day folks together.

My traditional interviewer mentioned that there were 48 folks were interviewed this past weekend and that we will probably hear back mid December at the latest. I think the delay is because of thanksgiving and that they will be reviewing the 3rd and 4th interview day folks together.
Thanks! I had no clue they interviewed that many people each session. I guess mid-december isn't too far from now

Just attended their virtual open house and they mentioned that they are 2/3 of the way through interviews. They estimated a little under 100 people left to interview so hopefully that gives some context as to where the are in the cycle!

I have an interview for this place coming up, I was just wondering though is my application DOA because of minimal research? I have just a little bit, didn't have it as my most meaningful activity, and I don't have a LOR from my PI

"Letters from a medical professional and a research mentor are strongly recommended. " (Application Process)

Probably not DOA. If you have a strong enough MCAT and GPA, they may ignore that, especially since they invited you for an interview. If your research opportunities were limited by la 'rona, that's understandable. Just be able to speak intelligently about your research and indicate an affinity for continued research (a program requirement). Emphasize why VTC is your #1 school. Make sure you read up on their program and provide one or two aspects you particularly like about it.

I graduated years ago so my Research wasn't affected by COVID. I was in the lab for over 2 years, I did do stuff but no publications or posters or anything. (I took it for a grade and got A's every semester, that's it). It was a perfectly serviceable lab, I did a lot of grunt work and analysis but that's really it. I never really interacted with my PI at all, he probably doesn't even remember me. I was wondering if maybe one of the random lab techs could write a LOR? Would that look good or would it just make it obvious I didn't really do anything substantial because I didn't ask my PI?

I love research and want to do more research in med school. In undergrad it just wasn't a priority for me because I wanted to increase my GPA and work a job that paid more money
It's kind of late for an LOR now. Your file is already complete and again, they already gave you an interview invite.

Also speaking as a "random lab tech" that has multiple first author pubs, it doesn't really sound like a letter from them would be that meaningful either. It's important to keep in touch with people after you leave and speak of other lab positions well on anonymous forums. I personally have a letter from my undergrad PI and current PI/mentor.

When do you think they'll come out with next round of acceptances?

When do you think they'll come out with next round of acceptances?
Last year people who interviewed for the end of October/early November heard back on December 15th according to the past sdn thread. Hopefully we don't have to wait that long 🥺😢

Yep, most likely Tuesday, December 14 acceptance calls for late October and November interview groups. It's a long wait for that October group.

Question, does VTC value update letters post II and pre decision? I’m debating between sending an update now or waiting to see if I get waitlisted and providing it then

Question, does VTC value update letters post II and pre decision? I’m debating between sending an update now or waiting to see if I get waitlisted and providing it then
Also wondering this. I was thinking pre-decision might be best just cause it could help move me from R to WL if that's where I currently am

Also wondering this. I was thinking pre-decision might be best just cause it could help move me from R to WL if that's where I currently am
Hey, I asked one of the deans on sending a letter of intent after an interview and how receptive it would be, this was their response.

"Glad to know you came away with a good impression! hopefully you'll hear good news before Christmas :). We get lots of letters of intent- they're most impactful late in the cycle. Early on our policies and protocols regulate offers, etc."

Take what you will from that, because I don't fully follow. I did not send a LOI though.

I would only send an update for something fairly significant, and if were to send one I would send it fairly soon after the interview (say within a couple weeks)

For those who interviewed 11/13- do we think we will hear back this week? I wasn’t sure the exact timeline.

For those who interviewed 11/13- do we think we will hear back this week? I wasn’t sure the exact timeline.
Someone said they heard we'd hear back mid-december so I'd think either this week or early next week

I am really excited about this school and thought I would be a great fit because of research, etc. and I wrote strong essays but it’s been total silence from VTC since like July 😢

I got a II today! Complete in mid-July. Heavy research background including 6 peer-reviewed pubs.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
I got an II today! OOS applicant with BA/MS in Biology, did a lot of research for my thesis but no publications. Complete 7/28.

Reactions: 4 users