2021-2022 UC Riverside

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
when do they usually start sending? do u know
I think they are behind again this year but since they usually start interviewing in Sept I would expect people to start getting II's this month.

got it.. makes sense. i know everything was delayed last year. do you know if they screen their secondaries?
Yes, I know they screen based on ties to the CA Inland Empire, like Davis does for NorCal. 99% of the UCR med class has strong ties to the IE

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Can y’all lmk when you get interviews? Imma late app and just submitted my II today.
OOS btw

II received around 11:45PM EST 9/7. IS applicant.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can y’all lmk when you get interviews? Imma late app and just submitted my II today.
OOS btw
Just a heads up (I made the same mistake too) “II” means interview invite. But also, I just received my interview invite today!

Reactions: 1 users
also got a ii! for 9/11. I really think they just jammed all us IS into one day.

Hello! Sorry I am a bit unfamiliar with the language on here, does "being completed" mean submitted secondary or completed primary?
It means you had your secondary, letters, test scores all submitted and the school notified you that your application at the school was "complete" AKA ready for review by admissions committee. Your app is complete once they have received everything they ask for.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! Sorry I am a bit unfamiliar with the language on here, does "being completed" mean submitted secondary or completed primary?
I've been taking it to mean submitted secondary so "completed"= application is 100% done and just waiting to hear about interviews.

Anyone in here know how hard of a deadline that one week thing is? I completely didn't it mentioned until it was too late. I submitted around two weeks after I got the secondary. Complete 7/18, median GPA, really high MCAT (relative to school median), mission fit, and alum. Haven't heard anything. I've been a bit nervous that I screwed myself over with that missed one week deadline thing.

would the II people mind sharing stats?

Anyone in here know how hard of a deadline that one week thing is? I completely didn't it mentioned until it was too late. I submitted around two weeks after I got the secondary. Complete 7/18, median GPA, really high MCAT (relative to school median), mission fit, and alum. Haven't heard anything. I've been a bit nervous that I screwed myself over with that missed one week deadline thing.
Hopefully you hear back from then but, when they say 1 week deadline, I took it mean that's the latest they wanted it turned in, turned mine in 3 days. Good luck to u

I really don't think it's a hard deadline, it's a suggestion. I doubt turning it in 2 weeks later will make or break your application

Just my opinion of course.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
you should call to ask!

Also my stats are 512, 3.78

currently have 2 ii's

Hopefully you hear back from then but, when they say 1 week deadline, I took it mean that's the latest they wanted it turned in, turned mine in 3 days. Good luck to u
Yeah that's probably the smarter way to treat it haha. I honestly missed that blurb when they sent it out. It was one of the earlier secondaries I received and I didn't think to search around the email to see if they have preferences for when to submit. It also didn't really help that it was mentioned pretty low down the list in that invitation email.

Ok so I just called because I couldn't handle it anymore lol. It seems to be a recommendation solely due to the nature of rolling admissions and they're letting us know that the earlier the better. We'll see what comes out of it.

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know if this school screens primary applications before sending out secondaries?

Does anyone know if this school screens primary applications before sending out secondaries?
Yes they screen for mission FIt and Minnimum requirements, if OOS then also they screen for ties to the state.

Can someone explain to me the non-California resident question? "If you answered Yes, please explain your connection to Inland Southern California and the mission of the UC Riverside School of Medicine."

I have no connection to California, but how do I explain my connection to the school's mission? Isn't that what the purpose of the first question was for?

Can someone explain to me the non-California resident question? "If you answered Yes, please explain your connection to Inland Southern California and the mission of the UC Riverside School of Medicine."

I have no connection to California, but how do I explain my connection to the school's mission? Isn't that what the purpose of the first question was for?
UCR is highly selective for people who live in the Inland Empire and last I checked have a less than 1% OOS acceptance. They want to increase the number of physicians in the area by recruiting people who already live there or have ties to the area because they are more likely to stay there as practicing physicians. Your best bet is to talk about something in that arena. About you connecting with their mission and something about understanding the need for increased physicians and access in the inland empire and if you want, even discuss your desires to stay in the area as a practicing physician.

UCR is highly selective for people who live in the Inland Empire and last I checked have a less than 1% OOS acceptance. They want to increase the number of physicians in the area by recruiting people who already live there or have ties to the area because they are more likely to stay there as practicing physicians. Your best bet is to talk about something in that arena. About you connecting with their mission and something about understanding the need for increased physicians and access in the inland empire and if you want, even discuss your desires to stay in the area as a practicing physician.
+1 everything here is spot on

As others said, I'm pretty sure UCR does not accept people who do not have some connection to CA and IE.
If you do want to continue with the secondary, I would explain how you fit in with the school's mission of serving the underserved and why would you want to come to California and specifically IE?

hey ya’ll so i submitted my secondary a few days ago and only received the payment receipt. How long do they email for my app to be complete? I am still waiting for my LOR but that should be resolved soon.

hey ya’ll so i submitted my secondary a few days ago and only received the payment receipt. How long do they email for my app to be complete? I am still waiting for my LOR but that should be resolved soon.
i got my email confirmation right away. Are they still waiting on LOR or MCAT score? There would be other things holding you back from being complete.check the secondary website if there’s any holds

i got my email confirmation right away. Are they still waiting on LOR or MCAT score? There would be other things holding you back from being complete.check the secondary website if there’s any holds
I wasn't marked complete until all my LORs were in (had one missing for a while).

Has anyone received an II before UCR received MCAT score?

Interview invite today! I'm from Riverside, cGPA 3.33 and MCAT 510. Scribe in primary care clinic for 2 years.

Is UCR still sending out secondaries (or has anyone received one in the last few weeks)?

II. Riverside resident for 20+ years. Complete 8/4. Only date was 10/9. Anyone else confirm this? I was hoping for more options!

Last edited:
I know UCR has strong preference for people with ties to the Inland Empire. My significant other of 4+ years lived in IE their entire life before college, and both of us regularly visit their family in IE. It's a serious long term relationship. Would this count as strong enough ties for UCR? I'm personally a NorCal native, but my undergrad and masters were both in SoCal and I plan to settle in SoCal. I'm open to settling in IE because my partner's family still lives there and having their support would be a great benefit for us.

I know UCR has strong preference for people with ties to the Inland Empire. My significant other of 4+ years lived in IE their entire life before college, and both of us regularly visit their family in IE. It's a serious long term relationship. Would this count as strong enough ties for UCR? I'm personally a NorCal native, but my undergrad and masters were both in SoCal and I plan to settle in SoCal. I'm open to settling in IE because my partner's family still lives there and having their support would be a great benefit for us.
Yes!

Phew, thank goodness. Applications are making me neurotic and I start second guessing everything. My first instinct was "yeah, that totally counts" but then I started thinking about it way too hard...