2021-2022 UC Riverside

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
confused about the credit hours.... i have physics1/2 both 3 credits a semester. My school had lab separate. how am I supposed to get to 8 credits without lab?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
2. The values of the UCR SOM are integrity, innovation, inclusion, excellence, accountability and respect. Please choose one of the values and tell us how you have personally experienced it or have seen it emulated in a clinical setting. (250 words)
Y'all think this "personal experience" can be from when you yourself were a patient? I wrote about how I was misdiagnosed at an ER and the staff showed accountability in admitting their mistake, but I feel like I'm not answering this correctly

Stuck with "The values of the UCR SOM are integrity, innovation, inclusion, excellence, accountability and respect. Please choose one of the values and tell us how you have personally experienced it or have seen it emulated in a clinical setting".
I want to write about myself but im having trouble writing about a specific time that I used one of them. Any advice?

Reactions: 1 user
Another question about the course pre-reqs!

"UCR SOM seeks to develop the whole student with curriculum that prepares future physicians to meet the needs of underserved communities. To that end, courses that emphasize culture, ethics, public health, spiritual practices, and other aspects of diversity are recommended. The committee appreciates candidates listing their humanities or social sciences courses in these subject areas."

As a public health and global health major, I have taken tons of these courses within the "Humanities core." Do you think I should list beyond the recommended 8 semester hours to show the diversity in my coursework or just the minimum like what was asked of in the pre-requisites?

Another question about the course pre-reqs!

"UCR SOM seeks to develop the whole student with curriculum that prepares future physicians to meet the needs of underserved communities. To that end, courses that emphasize culture, ethics, public health, spiritual practices, and other aspects of diversity are recommended. The committee appreciates candidates listing their humanities or social sciences courses in these subject areas."

As a public health and global health major, I have taken tons of these courses within the "Humanities core." Do you think I should list beyond the recommended 8 semester hours to show the diversity in my coursework or just the minimum like what was asked of in the pre-requisites?
Well, they can see all your courses on the transcript. I think the pre-req page is just an easy way to make sure you actually meet all their minimum requirements. I only listed minimum courses

"The values of the UCR SOM are integrity, innovation, inclusion, excellence, accountability and respect. Please choose one of the values and tell us how you have personally experienced it or have seen it emulated in a clinical setting"

What does it mean to "have personally experienced it"? Does it mean I have upheld the value myself or I was in an environment where I interacted with people who upheld these values?

This prompt is confusing...
It's hard to tell if our response has to be in a clinical setting, too.

Has anyone contacted the admissions office for clarification?

I'm kind of reconsidering submitting a UCR application (I was going to submit for the hell of it because FAP, but just found out they only reduced it to $50 for the fee)...

I've done many community service collaborations with organizations at Riverside when I was in college (but I went to a school in NorCal). My family lives in San Diego, strong ties to LA. Other than that, I have no strong ties to the IE. I do have a primary-care and underserved-focused application and have strong writing skills, and I can see myself in the IE.

I got a secondary, but does that mean anything, and are they just looking for a donation? Not sure if writing a convincing secondary committing to IE would be enough, and I'd like to save $50 if it's not worth it.
In my experience and what I have seen, UCR doesn't really have/make time for folks they aren't interested in. If they sent you a secondary and you would like to attend, go for it! I don't have the numbers of % receiving secondary or % of secondary that turn into interviews, but their class sizes increase each year. If you got a secondary, then they like what they've seen so far.

Reactions: 3 users
"The values of the UCR SOM are integrity, innovation, inclusion, excellence, accountability and respect. Please choose one of the values and tell us how you have personally experienced it or have seen it emulated in a clinical setting"

What does it mean to "have personally experienced it"? Does it mean I have upheld the value myself or I was in an environment where I interacted with people who upheld these values?

This prompt is confusing...
It's hard to tell if our response has to be in a clinical setting, too.

Has anyone contacted the admissions office for clarification?
Contacted earlier today! They want our response tailored to a clinical setting and it could be however we personally experienced it. I didn't ask specifically about whether we should demonstrate that we have upheld this value. I think experiences in which you've been a patient, family/friend of a patient, shadowing a doctor, etc are all safe stories

"Lab course hours do not count toward total semester hours" per the UCR website.

Does this mean the two lab courses I took dont count towards the 16 hour requirement for chem courses? Do I need to request a waiver for this? My 5 other chem classes dont add to 16. I went to a quarter school rip

Last edited:
do you really have to put the completion date for every course? like the specific date?

Members don't see this ad :)
ARE We supposed to enter EVERY course? or just enough until the req is filled

"Lab course hours do not count toward total semester hours" per the UCR website.

Does this mean the two lab courses I took dont count towards the 16 hour requirement for chem courses? Do I need to request a waiver for this? My 5 other chem classes dont add to 16. I went to a quarter school rip

I had the same issue. I emailed them and this was their reply:

Please enter all of the credits that you have completed (without labs) in the course inventory. If you have completed all prerequisites but still do not have enough credits, please enter the number of credits for which you are requesting a waiver for. The admissions committee will review this and make a decision based on the information that you've provided. For Example: If you have completed 6 Biology credits, please request a waiver for the 2 missing credits, along with a brief comment highlighting your request. If your undergraduate curriculum called for only 6 credits, please state this and how this has prepared you for the program.

Please use “in progress” for courses that are in progress.

Advanced Placement (AP) credit with a score of 3, 4, or 5 or International Baccalaureate (IB) credit with a score of 5, 6, or 7 may be used to fulfill program prerequisites in all subjects.

All AP and IB credit must be posted on your official transcript and noted on your completed AMCAS evaluation.

To enter your AP or IB Credit (s) that appear on your official transcript, please start by entering the course title and semester hour units along with the date that you completed the course. Select ‘Credit’ for your grade in the dropdown box and in the comments section, enter that you received AP or IB course credit.

Example

Course Title: General Chemistry I

Completion Date: 8/24/2016

Semester Hours: 4

Grade: Credit

Comment: AP course credit

I had the same issue. I emailed them and this was their reply:

Please enter all of the credits that you have completed (without labs) in the course inventory. If you have completed all prerequisites but still do not have enough credits, please enter the number of credits for which you are requesting a waiver for. The admissions committee will review this and make a decision based on the information that you've provided. For Example: If you have completed 6 Biology credits, please request a waiver for the 2 missing credits, along with a brief comment highlighting your request. If your undergraduate curriculum called for only 6 credits, please state this and how this has prepared you for the program.

Please use “in progress” for courses that are in progress.

Advanced Placement (AP) credit with a score of 3, 4, or 5 or International Baccalaureate (IB) credit with a score of 5, 6, or 7 may be used to fulfill program prerequisites in all subjects.

All AP and IB credit must be posted on your official transcript and noted on your completed AMCAS evaluation.

To enter your AP or IB Credit (s) that appear on your official transcript, please start by entering the course title and semester hour units along with the date that you completed the course. Select ‘Credit’ for your grade in the dropdown box and in the comments section, enter that you received AP or IB course credit.

Example

Course Title: General Chemistry I

Completion Date: 8/24/2016

Semester Hours: 4

Grade: Credit

Comment: AP course credit
Yeah I just decided to put the waiver and discuss how my lab class included a separate lecture. I know people from my major who got into UCR so I’m sure they’ve taken it before!

Hm, has anyone heard back on IIs? UC Davis is starting to send invitations out.

Hm, has anyone heard back on IIs? UC Davis is starting to send invitations out.
IIs apparently start in August but seeing that they send most secondaries about a week ago theyll probably go out later?

Based on previous years (disregarding last year cuz covid), it seems like it took 3-4 weeks before sending out IIs.

Anyone know when II start?

call me crazy, but OOS applicant here joining the party

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Hi guys, I’m kind of confused cause I’m reading old threads. Does UCR not screen for secondaries? Anyone know when II will go out after secondaries?

Sorry i'm a noob to this site, but what does IS mean?
IS = In State Applicant
OOS = Out of State Applicant
II = Interview invite
R = forbidden word... *whispers* Rejection

Welcome to the party!

Reactions: 2 users
How long are everyone's responses? For a couple of the questions (2 and 3), I'm barely hitting 200. I guess quality > quantity

So for math section under "Required Premed Course Inventory" I have
Statistics = 3 semester hours
Calculus = 4 semester hours

I am not meeting the 8 hour mark. Do you think they will still consider my application?

Has anyone else experienced issues accessing UCR SOM's secondary? When I select "Forgot Password" entering my AMCAS ID# I am met with an error message "An error has occurred when sending the email. Please try again. If the problem persists, please contact the administrator."

When I enter my email as the username instead I get the message, "An email has been sent with further instructions," but I never receive said email in my inbox or spam.

Has this happened to anyone else; if so, how did you remedy it? Thank you so much in advance! :)

My courses have been converted into semester hour units by AMCAS and I do not meet the minimum semester hour unit requirement for the basic sciences (Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, and Biology) section.

What do I do? Am I no longer eligible to submit my secondary application?

No, this does not make you ineligible to submit your secondary application. Please enter all of the semester hour units that you have completed (without labs) in the course inventory.

To account for the semester hours that you are missing, you will need to request a waiver by adding a course and selecting the “Request Waiver” radio button. Please input the number of semester hours you are missing and include a brief explanation as to why you are requesting a waiver in the “Waiver/Substitution Comment” section. The admissions committee will review your request and reach out to you directly should they have additional questions.
Thank you! I guess my question is how would I reason why I need a waiver for 1 unit?

Has anyone else experienced issues accessing UCR SOM's secondary? When I select "Forgot Password" entering my AMCAS ID# I am met with an error message "An error has occurred when sending the email. Please try again. If the problem persists, please contact the administrator."

When I enter my email as the username instead I get the message, "An email has been sent with further instructions," but I never receive said email in my inbox or spam.

Has this happened to anyone else; if so, how did you remedy it? Thank you so much in advance! :)
I had the same thing happen to me! I emailed the admissions committee and got this response -

Hello and thank you for your interest in UC Riverside School of Medicine. We are aware that many applicants have been experiencing issues accessing the secondary application. We are working on resolving this system error as quickly as possible. Once this issue is corrected, you will be emailed another secondary invitation, resetting the timeline that you will have to complete and submit the secondary application. Your current deadline will not be affected in any way. Thank you for your patience during this time.

I had the same thing happen to me! I emailed the admissions committee and got this response -

Hello and thank you for your interest in UC Riverside School of Medicine. We are aware that many applicants have been experiencing issues accessing the secondary application. We are working on resolving this system error as quickly as possible. Once this issue is corrected, you will be emailed another secondary invitation, resetting the timeline that you will have to complete and submit the secondary application. Your current deadline will not be affected in any way. Thank you for your patience during this time.
Thank you so much for your response! This is very helpful. Are they doing this for those who contact them or is this a system-wide situation where all applicants who have yet to submit will receive a new invite and timeline?

Asking so I can determine whether to contact them as well. Thank you.

I just received this email as well. Does it mean that our 1 week deadline to submit is null until we received the new secondary invite? So it'll be a week from the new invite right?

Thank you so much for your response! This is very helpful. Are they doing this for those who contact them or is this a system-wide situation where all applicants who have yet to submit will receive a new invite and timeline?

Asking so I can determine whether to contact them as well. Thank you.
I didn't contact them but still received this email!

I just received this email as well. Does it mean that our 1 week deadline to submit is null until we received the new secondary invite? So it'll be a week from the new invite right?
Following. I need the extra week to complete mine and I just received this email an hour ago.

Got the email, confused on what " Your current deadline will not be affected in any way" means. My deadline is today but I had issues and got this email so I was waiting. Should I try to finish it??

Got the email, confused on what " Your current deadline will not be affected in any way" means. My deadline is today but I had issues and got this email so I was waiting. Should I try to finish it??
I’m in the same boat rn. My deadline is today also and I’ve been working on it all day. Idk if I should try to finish just to be safe.

Has anyone received the second link to submit secondaries? I hope they didn’t forget to send me one.
got email yesterday, havn't gotten a second secondary yet. Hope to soon, but my 1 week is up today so not sure if i should try and submit today or wait

The one week deadline isn't a hard deadline
The school is already super competitive. If they recommend to turn it in within 7 days, i think It is at your best interest :) so you should treat it like a hard deadline.

has anyone gotten an interview invite from them?
Not me. I'm IS and I attended UCR for undergrad, mission fit. Watch me not even get an II lol but I'd say it's still early for them.

• Care
has anyone gotten an interview invite from them?
Based on last year's thread, the first person on SDN to post about it was around Oct 9th, but they started sending secondaries later last year as well. Year before that seemed to be around mid Sept to Oct

Based on last year's thread, the first person on SDN to post about it was around Oct 9th, but they started sending secondaries later last year as well. Year before that seemed to be around mid Sept to Oct
got it.. makes sense. i know everything was delayed last year. do you know if they screen their secondaries?