2021-2022 Case Western

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just caught the R too. That’s disappointing :(

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
sorry to hear about the Rs :/ keep your head up everyone!

did anyone with an R have significant research experience? i know that is something case values

Reactions: 1 user
sorry to hear about the Rs :/ keep your head up everyone!

did anyone with an R have significant research experience? i know that is something case values
I did! But low stats compared to their median. Oh well!

R. OOS, ORM, LM of 76.6. Not surprising since I did not have super heavy research experience.

damn were they giving out rs last cycle early too?

R today, was my top choice and top reach school... it sucks but also oh well, was a long shot anyway. Complete 7/9, 510 mcat, 3.7 gpa.
**Edit - research heavy app

Does anyone know if an R from the university program automatically means an R from the college/Cleveland clinic program?

• Care
R today, was my top choice and top reach school... it sucks but also oh well, was a long shot anyway. Complete 7/9, 510 mcat, 3.7 gpa.
**Edit - research heavy app

Does anyone know if an R from the university program automatically means an R from the college/Cleveland clinic program?
They have separate adcoms, so I doubt anything is automatic, but, given that the university program is the larger, less competitive, more expensive program, I'd think the odds are not good.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's easy for me to say, but, if you are like most of us, you applied to a lot of schools, so try not to let an early setback get in your head. It's a long cycle and you knew it was a reach, so, you did the right thing by taking your shot, and the most productive thing you can do now is just focus on all your other schools, including the college program until you hear from them. None of us is going to bat 1.000 here.

They have separate adcoms, so I doubt anything is automatic, but, given that the university program is the larger, less competitive, more expensive program, I'd think the odds are not good.
I know that this has been discussed previously a bit, but you can get into both the university and Lerner programs, correct?

I know that this has been discussed previously a bit, but you can get into both the university and Lerner programs, correct?
Absolutely. Many people (of those admitted to Lerner) do. Totally separate adcoms. One doesn't look at the other.

I'm not sure it's that relevant, though. Lerner is such a unique opportunity, and the only way to receive merit money from Case, so I doubt that the people turning down Lerner do so to go to the university program.

Maybe @CWRU.Sman can address whether candidates strong enough to be admitted to the college program tend to be resource protected out at the university program. I doubt it, but would love to hear his thoughts, since he's in a position to know while I am merely speculating. :)

Last edited:
II received this morning for the University Program as well! Complete 7/22

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
I'm quite surprised I have not gotten an R just yet, although I'm heavily expecting it soon enough. Secondary submitted 8/5, stats aren't great but I have great experiences. I've got no lab based research thus far (pandemic ruined that for me) but I'm starting some in my gap year, at Lerner no less. It's a reach school for a reason though, I would kill for stats like some of you :/

OOS interview this morning but with connections to the state. Keep your heads up my friends, those IIs will be coming your way!

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
OOS interview this morning but with connections to the state. Keep your heads up my friends, those IIs will be coming your way!
Do you mind sharing stats? Also what day you submitted your secondary/got the interview invite? Also congrats! Hoping you get in :)

I'm quite surprised I have not gotten an R just yet, although I'm heavily expecting it soon enough. Secondary submitted 8/5, stats aren't great but I have great experiences. I've got no lab based research thus far (pandemic ruined that for me) but I'm starting some in my gap year, at Lerner no less. It's a reach school for a reason though, I would kill for stats like some of you :/
Keep your head up! Stats aren't everything, and I'm sure for every high stat interview invite on here there is also a lower stat interview invite that isn't posted. It's definitely nerve-wracking to wait around, but try to remember that you will eventually get into the program that's the best fit for you. Good luck, you got this!

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Do you mind sharing stats? Also what day you submitted your secondary/got the interview invite? Also congrats! Hoping you get in :)
Sure! I have a 521/3.95, submitted on July 11th, and got the II this morning. And thank you same to you :)

Keep your head up! Stats aren't everything, and I'm sure for every high stat interview invite on here there is also a lower stat interview invite that isn't posted. It's definitely nerve-wracking to wait around, but try to remember that you will eventually get into the program that's the best fit for you. Good luck, you got this!
Thank you qq

University Program II 8/18, OOS with family ties, 3.92/523. Interview scheduled for 8/30. Sorry about the delay, just made an account.

They say UP interviews are only offered on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays but there was one Friday available on the calendar...is this a mistake or just a one-off thing?

Current M1 at the University Program happy to answer questions about Case!

The work-life balance, facilities, opportunities, and strong class bond that's already formed in my M1 class has made me really glad I ended up at Case.

One thing I want to say (as someone who's not on the admissions committee) is that I don't think Case is as ultra-focused on research as some of the posts here suggest? While a little bit of research is likely a soft requirement, you definitely don't need thousands of hours and multiple 1st authors pub to get into Case (I certainly did not). Case's curriculum is very group-learning focused, and as a result, I think admissions is looking for people who demonstrate that they enjoy working in groups and work well in groups. Overall, I think it's more important to the admissions committee to be well-rounded and show that you have interests/talents outside of medicine (i.e. music, arts, sports, lived experiences, etc.).

Regarding the University Program vs. Lerner discussions that I've seen, I think the main difference between UP students and CP students is the research experience and desire to pursue research in their careers. My classmates in Lerner are already spending dozens of hours a week in lab. Most of my Lerner friends say that if not for Lerner, they'd probably have gone MSTP. If I had to guess, their MCAT average might be 1-2 points higher, but I don't think the UP and CP students are that far apart statistically.

Reactions: 12 users
They say UP interviews are only offered on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays but there was one Friday available on the calendar...is this a mistake or just a one-off thing?
No, not a mistake. We have two Thursdays this season with signficant conflicts that we had to switch to Friday.

Current M1 at the University Program happy to answer questions about Case!

The work-life balance, facilities, opportunities, and strong class bond that's already formed in my M1 class has made me really glad I ended up at Case.

One thing I want to say (as someone who's not on the admissions committee) is that I don't think Case is as ultra-focused on research as some of the posts here suggest? While a little bit of research is likely a soft requirement, you definitely don't need thousands of hours and multiple 1st authors pub to get into Case (I certainly did not). Case's curriculum is very group-learning focused, and as a result, I think admissions is looking for people who demonstrate that they enjoy working in groups and work well in groups. Overall, I think it's more important to the admissions committee to be well-rounded and show that you have interests/talents outside of medicine (i.e. music, arts, sports, lived experiences, etc.).

Regarding the University Program vs. Lerner discussions that I've seen, I think the main difference between UP students and CP students is the research experience and desire to pursue research in their careers. My classmates in Lerner are already spending dozens of hours a week in lab. Most of my Lerner friends say that if not for Lerner, they'd probably have gone MSTP. If I had to guess, their MCAT average might be 1-2 points higher, but I don't think the UP and CP students are that far apart statistically.
Average MCAT between UP and CP was actually the SAME! Thanks for chiming in!

Has anyone else not received a secondary even? Added this school early August lol. From what I can tell, they don't even have a screen right?

Has anyone else not received a secondary even? Added this school early August lol. From what I can tell, they don't even have a screen right?
No screen. Check your spam filter, and then check to make sure AMCAS actually lists the school as having been added. (You wouldn't be the first person this cycle who thought they added a school when they didn't! :)) If none of that works and you triple check your inbox, I'd then send them an e-mail asking if maybe there is a glitch in their system.

No screen. Check your spam filter, and then check to make sure AMCAS actually lists the school as having been added. (You wouldn't be the first person this cycle who thought they added a school when they didn't! :)) If none of that works and you triple check your inbox, I'd then send them an e-mail asking if maybe there is a glitch in their system.
Just checked, and I did add this school. I'm a reapp and changed the email I'm using from last cycle, so maybe that's it? Gonna call them on Monday, thanks for the help!

Just checked, and I did add this school. I'm a reapp and changed the email I'm using from last cycle, so maybe that's it? Gonna call them on Monday, thanks for the help!
If you're a reapp from last cycle and you still have the link from then, why not try clicking on it and seeing what happens?

I just received an II this morning (complete 7/15)! There were also plenty of nearby dates available, so I was surprised.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
There were also plenty of nearby dates available, so I was surprised.
Purely out of curiosity, what dates are being offered at the moment?

Also....CONGRATSSS go rock it!

Hi guys, random question from an applicant who is super behind: For the additional information section, what kind of information did you guys put? Would writing a ~3500 character essay about why Case Western SOM be appropriate? Would leaving it blank look bad?

Hi guys, random question from an applicant who is super behind: For the additional information section, what kind of information did you guys put? Would writing a ~3500 character essay about why Case Western SOM be appropriate? Would leaving it blank look bad?
I made mine about why Case Western!

I made mine about why Case Western!
+1
I don't necessarily know if it would look bad, but it seems like it wouldn't do any harm--they could just not read it. Honestly, I just saw that everyone else was doing it on here so I did it too lmao

II today for UP! Complete 7/20. LM 76, OOS with no ties.

Edited with more info

Last edited: