2020-2021 Washington University in St. Louis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also, they’re running a bit ahead of schedule and are aiming to get decisions out by April 1st.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Just called the admissions committee. Said they’re still sending out a few A’s but they’re usually done sending majority of A’s at this point. Not impossible but chances are definitely low atm.
Thank you for doing that and sharing the info!

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Another Thursday, and maybe our last chance? May the odds be ever in our favor :')

• Care
If it makes ya'll feel better, an MS3 I was shadowing said around half his class came from WL
This post from last year's thread is what's keeping me going right now

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Any bets on whether those last A's will trickle out this weekend or get dropped on April 1st...or both?

Reactions: 1 users
Alright final bet, I think they’ll release them all at once on Apr 1st

Members don't see this ad :)
Not to get ahead of myself, but how does this work for waitlisted people? Most schools start in July...
I’m sorry— I’m not sure!

I imagine if WashU waitlists you, they’ll give you some sort of info sheet/packet/email about what the waitlist process entails, as most of the schools that have waitlisted me have. I feel like WashU is pretty forthcoming with information so I would expect some sort of explanation of how it works if you’re on the WL.

Some schools (again— I have NO idea about WashU) only give you a week to accept the offer if you get in off the waitlist so the August 31st CTE date would not apply if the WashU waitlist functions like that. But who knows? WashU might also give students accepted off the WL the full time to think it over!

Not to get ahead of myself, but how does this work for waitlisted people? Most schools start in July...
This is true, but I'm pretty sure WashU starts first week of September...which explains the unusually late CTE date.

Reactions: 1 user
This is true, but I'm pretty sure WashU starts first week of September...which explains the unusually late CTE date.
I guess my confusion is regarding up until when WashU can let you know you got off the waitlist. Because even though they start in September, what if they let you know you’ve been accepted in late July after you’ve already matriculated at another school? Or do you have to relinquish your spot on the waitlist once you matriculate elsewhere? Sorry if these are silly questions!

I guess my confusion is regarding up until when WashU can let you know you got off the waitlist. Because even though they start in September, what if they let you know you’ve been accepted in late July after you’ve already matriculated at another school? Or do you have to relinquish your spot on the waitlist once you matriculate elsewhere? Sorry if these are silly questions!
Each school has their own Commit to Enroll date (many seem to be in July). At that time you will have to give up any WLs you may be on. So if you are on the WashU WL and WashU does not accept you by your commit to enroll date at the other school you plan to attend, then you will have to take yourself off the WL.

Last edited:
Each school has their own Commit to Enroll date (many seem to be in July). At that time you will have to give up any WLs you may be on. So if you are on the WashU WL and WashU does not accept you by your commit to enroll date at the other school you plan to attend, then you will have to take yourself off the WL.
Do you know how this applies if my only other A is from a DO school?

Do you know how this applies if my only other A is from a DO school?
Not sure, but if you find yourself in this situation, at some point I would say you should just lay it all on the line. Email WashU, tell them you will definitely attend if given the opportunity and let them know that your commit to enroll day at another school is approaching and ask for a decision before that date.

Not sure, but if you find yourself in this situation, at some point I would say you should just lay it all on the line. Email WashU, tell them you will definitely attend if given the opportunity and let them know that your commit to enroll day at another school is approaching and ask for a decision before that date.
What an absolute savage play. I'll work on the titanium nerves necessary in the meantime. I've already sent a LOIntent, but I will certainly keep that in mind. Thank you!

Kinda shocking WashU is taking this long to send out decisions. I interviewed in November and my heart isn’t set on here or anything so I’m okay but just makes me lose some respect for the admissions team to keep students waiting this long.

Reactions: 10 users
Kinda shocking WashU is taking this long to send out decisions. I interviewed in November and my heart isn’t set on here or anything so I’m okay but just makes me lose some respect for the admissions team to keep students waiting this long.
Yeah, same. I'm expecting a post-II WL or R at this point, but it doesn't make sense to me why it is basically April and we are still waiting to hear back.

These rankings changed immensely I’m surprised by a lot of it!
Honestly not surprised given the bs nature of the USNWR methodology. I think if anything, all these drastic fluctuations (UCLA from 6 to 21? Wtf??) just show how unreliable these things are

How long has it taken others to receive their financial aid offers after submitting the information?

WashU just fell from 6th to 11th place in the new US News rankings: https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-medical-schools/research-rankings

Not sure what to make of this. Maybe this has something to do with the delay in them getting back to us? Thoughts?
It means nothing, lol. These rankings change a lot and never reflect the quality of research or education because the methodology they use are, quite frankly, awful.

WashU fell from 6th to 11th, UCLA from 6th to 21st, Hopkins from 2nd to 7th, Penn from 3rd to 9th, Cornell from 11th to 19th. Duke jumped from 12th to 3rd and pulled an NYU. NYU worked it's way up another place. Please don't place any faith in these rankings, this year should make it clear how silly they are.

I like the way @Goro speaks about schools by placing them in groups. And within those groups, the only real difference depends on you and what you want in a school. Mayo could easily be #2 next year, or schools that are typically highly ranked could drop even further. Go to the school that is the best fit for you personally.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
It means nothing, lol. These rankings change a lot and never reflect the quality of research or education because the metrics they use are, quite frankly, awful.

WashU fell from 6th to 11th, UCLA from 6th to 21st, Hopkins from 2nd to 7th, Penn from 3rd to 9th, Cornell from 11th to 19th. Duke jumped from 12th to 3rd and pulled an NYU. NYU worked it's way up another place. Please don't place any faith in these rankings, this year should make it clear how silly they are.

I like the way @Goro speaks about schools by placing them in groups. And within those groups, the only real difference depends on you and what you want in a school. Mayo could easily be #2 next year, or schools that are typically highly ranked could drop even further. Go to the school that is the best fit for you personally.
do you have the post where he talks about groups? I've never heard of that

It means nothing, lol. These rankings change a lot and never reflect the quality of research or education because the metrics they use are, quite frankly, awful.

Just curious, could you explain how the metrics they use are awful? I don’t really understand how they come up so these rankings in the first place

Good has talked about it on several occasions, not sure "groups" is the exact word used but same idea. Don't have the energy to try and find posts where it is talked about lol.
Year to year fluctuations are expected, and likely what US News intends to create, because no one would need to look at the latest rankings if they were static. For those interested in the academic world, what I think matters long term is perceived prestige. Average US news ranking over many years (10 to 20) can be used as proxy for this.

Year to year fluctuations are expected, and likely what US News intends to create, because no one would need to look at the latest rankings if they were static. For those interested in the academic world, what I think matters long term is perceived prestige. Average US news ranking over many years (10 to 20) can be used as proxy for this.
I mean, the issue is that the rankings don't necessarily match perceived prestige either. The PD scores definitely measure that better, imo. Maybe look at PD scores (for research OR primary care, separately...I kinda hate that SDN groups them) over the past 10 to 20 years if reputation is what matters.

The only people who care about the crap published by US News & World Report are starry-eyed, Prestige intoxicated pre-meds and medical school Deans.

• Haha
  • Care
Just curious, could you explain how the metrics they use are awful? I don’t really understand how they come up so these rankings in the first place
Yeah, sure! I actually talk about it briefly here. USNWR Best Med Schools 2022

But there are several articles that explain in depth way better than I do...would highly recommend googling and reading some of those when you get the chance. Many people have had serious issues with their rankings for literal decades.

Yeah, sure! I actually talk about it briefly here. USNWR Best Med Schools 2022

But there are several articles that explain in depth way better than I do...would highly recommend googling and reading some of those when you get the chance. Many people have had serious issues with their rankings for literal decades.
thank you :)

The only people who care about the crap published by US News & World Report are starry-eyed, Prestige intoxicated pre-meds and medical school Deans.
Also my mom lol.

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
R wave where u at? It’s okay, I’ve come to terms with you, just let me move on with my life 😭

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
WashU I love you but this delay in admissions is serious bull****. I am on the verge of turning down ANOTHER research position that is requiring I accept/decline within 72 hours in the hopes that one of these spam calls I'm getting is from frickin St.Louis. I just honestly can't understand...

• Care
WashU I love you but this delay in admissions is serious bull****. I am on the verge of turning down ANOTHER research position that is requiring I accept/decline within 72 hours in the hopes that one of these spam calls I'm getting is from frickin St.Louis. I just honestly can't understand...
Tomorrow may solve all of your problems!

• Love
At this point, just praying for that WL and no R today. Although another month of this torture is not appealing.

If they send out decisions today, how do we know it's not an April Fool's joke

EDIT: Does anyone know why when you type a p r i l f o o l s it changes to Easter?
EDIT2: ANYBUNNY. I'M OUT. You are all geniuses on this site and I deeply respect it

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
cary elwes life is pain GIF

Another Thursday....

• Care
I mean Second Look is in 10 days, so I really hope you guys find out beforehand...

The FB group is at 273 rn, though I don't know how that compares to other years.