2020-2021 Washington University in St. Louis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Washington University in St. Louis

secondary prompts 2020-2021:
1. Have you already completed your undergraduate education, have you had your college or graduate education interrupted, or do you plan not to be a full-time student during your application year? If yes, Describe in chronological order your activities during the time(s) when you were not enrolled as a full-time student. (2000 characters)
2. Describe a time or situation where you have been unsuccessful or failed. (3000 characters)
3. Is there anything else you would like to share with the Committee on Admissions? (optional)
Some applicants use this space to describe unique experiences and obstacles such as significant challenges in access to education, unusual socioeconomic factors, and/or identification with a particular culture, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or gender identity and/or possibly challenges related to COVID or other issues in preparation for medical school. (3000 characters)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
same:(

I could have sworn their website said secondaries were going out July 13...

Reactions: 1 user
Questions for any current medial students...

1. In a given week, how many times are you required to attend events? I'm assuming that lecture attendance is not mandatory, and that they are recorded and posted. Please correct me if I'm wrong -- more broadly, what is your typical weekly schedule?

2. What do you think about St. Louis? Does it feel safe? How far outside of the city do you have to go to reach the suburbs? Due to bringing my family with me, I would need to live in a quieter suburb.

3. Any thoughts on the facilities for the school (preclinical) or affiliated hospitals?

Questions for any current medial students...

1. In a given week, how many times are you required to attend events? I'm assuming that lecture attendance is not mandatory, and that they are recorded and posted. Please correct me if I'm wrong -- more broadly, what is your typical weekly schedule?

2. What do you think about St. Louis? Does it feel safe? How far outside of the city do you have to go to reach the suburbs? Due to bringing my family with me, I would need to live in a quieter suburb.

3. Any thoughts on the facilities for the school (preclinical) or affiliated hospitals?

So the current students won't be able to give you much on #1, as the school is shifting to a new curriculum. My class (2024) will be the first one to have it. As of right now, we don't actually know what the schedules look like, but we're having a big Zoom meeting on the 28th to discuss the curriculum. Hopefully this will include stuff on scheduling and when we'll be doing TBL, Anatomy, clinical learning, and other mandatory things. I'll let you know what I hear then!

Reactions: 1 users
1. Have you already completed your undergraduate education, have you had your college or graduate education interrupted, or do you plan not to be a full-time student during your application year? If yes, Describe in chronological order your activities during the time(s) when you were not enrolled as a full-time student. (2000 characters)
2. Describe a time or situation where you have been unsuccessful or failed. (3000 characters)
3. Is there anything else you would like to share with the Committee on Admissions? (optional)
Some applicants use this space to describe unique experiences and obstacles such as significant challenges in access to education, unusual socioeconomic factors, and/or identification with a particular culture, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or gender identity and/or possibly challenges related to COVID or other issues in preparation for medical school. (3000 characters)
@TheDataKing

Reactions: 3 users
Anybody else besides me not able to log in to the supplemental application? I just got it

Anybody else besides me not able to log in to the supplemental application? I just got it

Whenever I enter my login info it takes me back to the "Returning Applicant or Faculty/Staff Login" page. Is this the issue you're having as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is a "why us" essay appropriate for their anything else prompt? Their description of what you might write about is making me lean towards no, but i want to use the space to talk about how cool they are

Whenever I enter my login info it takes me back to the "Returning Applicant or Faculty/Staff Login" page. Is this the issue you're having as well?
Ditto
I emailed them though so let's see what they say. At least they know that we are proactive

have you tried different browsers/a private window? that's usually my first line of defense with these glitchy portals

Reactions: 2 users
have you tried different browsers/a private window? that's usually my first line of defense with these glitchy portals
Wow chrome won't work but edge worked? Ugh, thank you for your help!

Is a "why us" essay appropriate for their anything else prompt? Their description of what you might write about is making me lean towards no, but i want to use the space to talk about how cool they are
I was thinking about using the anything else prompt to mention a unique experience not mentioned elsewhere + "why us". Anyone else considering the same? I am torn. Don't want to make the application unnecessarily long, and I do want to leave things to talk about in an interview, but I feel like it could add substance not visible elsewhere.

I noticed the document upload says: Use this tool to upload your CV, abstracts, application updates, letters of interest, or any other material that you wish to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee. (Note: This section is optional, and is not needed to complete your application.) Do people normally upload extra info? For me only consideration would be throwing my resume in there because it provides a little more on specific skills than I couldn't really include in AMCAS- not sure if that's overkill though

For the "unsuccessful" question, is it okay to answer it like a typical adversity question? Like talk about being unsuccessful and then how we ultimately overcame that adversity? Or is it asking for situations in which we were unsuccessful and didn't overcome it?

This is probably mega neurotic, but: I was in a low-speed, parking-lot fender bender in which no one was hurt but there was a bit of car damage. This was not considered a criminal offense in my state, I paid the state some money and my insurance went up a little. I don't need to report it, right?

This is probably mega neurotic, but: I was in a low-speed, parking-lot fender bender in which no one was hurt but there was a bit of car damage. This was not considered a criminal offense in my state, I paid the state some money and my insurance went up a little. I don't need to report it, right?

No, I wouldn't report it because it's not a criminal offense. I think they mention speeding and non-moving traffic violations since those are technically illegal but getting into a car accident isn't.

Obligatory "not a lawyer," but no. It’s not a criminal offense where you are.

And even in a state where "Failure to Control Speed" (usually what you're charged with if you are responsible for an accident) is a criminal offense, I don't know if I would report it, though this, too, would depend on the specific state in question. In all, it is a form of “negligence” for liability purposes, but only in some (e.g. Virginia) does it rise to the level of recklessness. There, it’s a Class 1 (Class A) misdemeanor. This is usually because those states have other offenses, like improper driving, that cover what, in some states, like Texas, is automatically “Failure to Control Speed.” In Texas, that’s a Class C (Class 3) misdemeanor. In some states, including Texas, ALL moving violations are misdemeanors, no matter the severity. Call your Municipal Court and they should be able to clarify things for you. Maybe you’d have to report it anyway, given the wording of the WashU question, but you could certainly explain conditions in your state such that it’s not an issue.

Also remember that if you have completed defensive driving and had the charge dismissed as a result, you were not convicted. This is the case even if you had to plead nolo contendere to the charge (which in normal, non-traffic cases would result in a conviction) in order to be eligible for deferred disposition or a similar, state-specific process. On your record, if the charge appears, it will appear only as "dismissed."

Moving violations that you would need to report include DUIs or reckless driving (e.g. speeding 20+ mph above the speed limit).

Last edited:
Obligatory "not a lawyer," but I'd say "no." And even in a state where "Failure to Control Speed" (usually what you're charged with if you are responsible for an accident) is a criminal offense, I don't know if I would report that either, as that is still often classed as a "speeding offense." Also remember that if you have completed defensive driving and had the charge dismissed as a result, you were not convicted. This is the case even if you had to plead nolo contendre to the charge (which in normal, non-traffic cases would result in a conviction) in order to be eligible for deferred disposition or a similar, state-specific process. On your record, if the charge appears, it will appear only as "dismissed."

Non-moving violations that you would need to report include DUIs or reckless driving.

It was definitely not a criminal offense; it was officially ticketed as failure to yield while making a left, which in my state is a traffic infraction and classed as civil, not criminal. My concern was because it was a moving violation and didn't fall under their explicitly stated exceptions - but presumably they couldn't list everything, and given that it wasn't criminal I won't bother reporting. Thanks!

It was definitely not a criminal offense; it was officially ticketed as failure to yield while making a left, which in my state is a traffic infraction and classed as civil, not criminal. My concern was because it was a moving violation and didn't fall under their explicitly stated exceptions - but presumably they couldn't list everything, and given that it wasn't criminal I won't bother reporting. Thanks!

Yeah, I kind of took your question and turned it into a general PSA. My bad.

Is there anything else you would like to share with the Committee on Admissions? (optional)
Some applicants use this space to describe unique experiences and obstacles such as significant challenges in access to education, unusual socioeconomic factors, and/or identification with a particular culture, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or gender identity and/or possibly challenges related to COVID or other issues in preparation for medical school.

Would this be an appropriate place to put a challenge/adversity essay, or should I just leave it blank?

Would this be an appropriate place to put a challenge/adversity essay, or should I just leave it blank?
haha noone seems to know what to do with this space. I'm using it as a diversity essay... I hope they don't dock me for it.

haha noone seems to know what to do with this space. I'm using it as a diversity essay... I hope they don't dock me for it.
The example topics they list in the prompt are pretty indicative of a diversity essay. I think you'll be fine!

In the family section, they give you an option to not provide parental information. Do you think not inputting parent info can be counted against you for any reason?

In the family section, they give you an option to not provide parental information. Do you think not inputting parent info can be counted against you for any reason?

No, I shouldn't think so. There could be a number of reasons why someone would choose not to add that information. They may not know their family or may have a poor relationship with them or may simply wish to avoid any assumed unfair advantage that providing the requested information could afford them.

Is anyone else having trouble with the phonetic recording? It counts down and then says "recording" but when I hit "end recording" it doesn't stop or save. When I navigate away, it is not saved.

No, but I had an issue with the phonetic rendering of my name. I'm a linguistics major, and I entered a narrow transcription in formal IPA. Then I submitted, navigated back to the page and see question marks where all the special characters were. :rofl:

For your issue, try going into your settings and changing your sound input to your default speakers (if using a laptop) or a dedicated external microphone. If you're using speakers on AirPods or some such, sometimes problems arise.

Last edited:
Is anyone else having trouble with the phonetic recording? It counts down and then says "recording" but when I hit "end recording" it doesn't stop or save. When I navigate away, it is not saved.
I had the same issue in Safari. Worked perfectly in Chrome for me.

I submitted my secondary but for my status it says that although the secondary is submitted it has not been processed. Is there anything else I need to do on my end?

I submitted my secondary but for my status it says that although the secondary is submitted it has not been processed. Is there anything else I need to do on my end?
nah, I had the same thing after I submitted. Got the complete email a few hours ago.

I didn’t get the “Application Complete” e-mail until a couple days after I submitted the secondary.

For the activities prompt, are you all listing like "I am currently looking for a job in this" or like "I spend a significant amount of time doing this relatively quantifiable hobby"

Anybody else getting a "no fee information was found" message on the payment page? I literally can't submit unless I pay the fee...but there is no fee to pay...:confused:

• Wow
For the "unsuccessful" question, is it okay to answer it like a typical adversity question? Like talk about being unsuccessful and then how we ultimately overcame that adversity? Or is it asking for situations in which we were unsuccessful and didn't overcome it?

I think typically, essays that describe some sort of challenge need some sort of resolution to them. Just saying, this made everything hard and I didn't know how to handle it is not as good as this made everything hard, I didn't know how to handle it, but worked through it doing so and so, and learned this and that from it.

Anyone know what it means when it says "Your application has been processed."

Anyone know what it means when it says "Your application has been processed."

pretty sure processed=complete. my secondary is submitted, but i’m still waiting on my committee letter (rip), so mine doesn’t say processed yet. seems like washu has to receive and verify the letters, whatever that means, so once you’ve submitted the app and had your letters verified it’ll be marked as processed (i think)

Reactions: 2 users
Obligatory "not a lawyer," but no. It’s not a criminal offense where you are.

And even in a state where "Failure to Control Speed" (usually what you're charged with if you are responsible for an accident) is a criminal offense, I don't know if I would report it, though this, too, would depend on the specific state in question. In all, it is a form of “negligence” for liability purposes, but only in some (e.g. Virginia) does it rise to the level of recklessness. There, it’s a Class 1 (Class A) misdemeanor. This is usually because those states have other offenses, like improper driving, that cover what, in some states, like Texas, is automatically “Failure to Control Speed.” In Texas, that’s a Class C (Class 3) misdemeanor. In some states, including Texas, ALL moving violations are misdemeanors, no matter the severity. Call your Municipal Court and they should be able to clarify things for you. Maybe you’d have to report it anyway, given the wording of the WashU question, but you could certainly explain conditions in your state such that it’s not an issue.

Also remember that if you have completed defensive driving and had the charge dismissed as a result, you were not convicted. This is the case even if you had to plead nolo contendere to the charge (which in normal, non-traffic cases would result in a conviction) in order to be eligible for deferred disposition or a similar, state-specific process. On your record, if the charge appears, it will appear only as "dismissed."

Moving violations that you would need to report include DUIs or reckless driving (e.g. speeding 20+ mph above the speed limit).

Would I have to report following too closely then? It's apparently described as "careless" driving.