2020-2021 University of Cincinnati

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II earlier today! Super excited! Complete 7/18

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I was complete mid, late august. Interviews seem to be the week after invite.

Any in-state, but outside of SW region September IIs yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone who has interviewed already have any tips about the MMI? This will be my first MMI style interview and I’m a bit nervous about how to prepare!

Does anyone who has interviewed already have any tips about the MMI? This will be my first MMI style interview and I’m a bit nervous about how to prepare!
I interviewed the beginning of last month and it was my first MMI style interview as well. The actual MMI interview wasn't until 3 hours into the interview day.

The entire interview day they were hyping us up and telling us we'd do great and that the MMI style of interview wasn't as hard as everyone said. This was pretty nice of them.

I will say the time goes by very quickly (in a good way.) You have 6 min. at each station. I was worried I would run out of things to say but the consistent follow up questions from the interviewer were helpful and kept the conversation flowing.

There should be 8 stations/interviewers each with their own prompt. They did mention that you might get to a station where there was no interviewer and you'd have 6 min. to chill before the next one. This did not happen. After my sixth interview I was feeling pretty fatigued so I was hoping for a quick break. Just be aware there may be no down time.

Seriously It wasn't that bad and I'm a pretty introverted guy. Good luck and congrats on your interview.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
I interviewed the beginning of last month and it was my first MMI style interview as well. The actual MMI interview wasn't until 3 hours into the interview day.

The entire interview day they were hyping us up and telling us we'd do great and that the MMI style of interview wasn't as hard as everyone said. This was pretty nice of them.

I will say the time goes by very quickly (in a good way.) You have 6 min. at each station. I was worried I would run out of things to say but the consistent follow up questions from the interviewer were helpful and kept the conversation flowing.

There should be 8 stations/interviewers each with their own prompt. They did mention that you might get to a station where there was no interviewer and you'd have 6 min. to chill before the next one. This did not happen. After my sixth interview I was feeling pretty fatigued so I was hoping for a quick break. Just be aware there may be no down time.

Seriously It wasn't that bad and I'm a pretty introverted guy. Good luck and congrats on your interview.
Thank you so much for your help!!

Reactions: 1 user
has anyone else who is accepted gotten the same financial aid info email like everyday this week? lol

Congrats to all those who got accepted!
Current student here, if you have any questions let me know, happy to answer here or via inbox
What kind of housing options are available to incoming students? And what is your opinion on them?

What kind of housing options are available to incoming students? And what is your opinion on them?
There are many apartment complexes that are within walking distance. Shields is probably a 5 minute walk from campus, probably the shortest walk...it's right behind the pharmacy building. The apartment units are pretty tiny, but if you are living by yourself it's probably alright. It's cost effective too.
On the other side of the Eden Avenue/MLK intersection, there are several apartment complexes as well, also walking distance. Perhaps more like a 10 minute walk. Beware that the stoplight at the intersection takes forever to change to the walk icon letting pedestrians cross, and it's a busy intersection so jaywalking is a big no no lol...maybe being super picky here, but just so you know, the weather here can vary. It's often hot and humid. There will be days upon days of rain sometimes. In such weather, walking 7-10 minutes, reaching the Medical Sciences Building, and having to take the long staircase to enter has definitely made most people break a sweat. Totally not a deal breaker by any means but I know some people may care, so throwing it out there. Safety wise, all these complexes are pretty safe. The area around the Eden/MLK intersection-which you would cross to and from most apt buildings (not Shields) can get a bit shady late at night, so if you're one of those people who wants to study at school til late, think of this.
There are also plenty of even more affordable housing complexes/apartments within driving distance.
I personally preferred to live close to campus for the easier commute. The car line to enter the garage in the AM also gets quite long.

Reactions: 2 users
There are many apartment complexes that are within walking distance. Shields is probably a 5 minute walk from campus, probably the shortest walk...it's right behind the pharmacy building. The apartment units are pretty tiny, but if you are living by yourself it's probably alright. It's cost effective too.
On the other side of the Eden Avenue/MLK intersection, there are several apartment complexes as well, also walking distance. Perhaps more like a 10 minute walk. Beware that the stoplight at the intersection takes forever to change to the walk icon letting pedestrians cross, and it's a busy intersection so jaywalking is a big no no lol...maybe being super picky here, but just so you know, the weather here can vary. It's often hot and humid. There will be days upon days of rain sometimes. In such weather, walking 7-10 minutes, reaching the Medical Sciences Building, and having to take the long staircase to enter has definitely made most people break a sweat. Totally not a deal breaker by any means but I know some people may care, so throwing it out there. Safety wise, all these complexes are pretty safe. The area around the Eden/MLK intersection-which you would cross to and from most apt buildings (not Shields) can get a bit shady late at night, so if you're one of those people who wants to study at school til late, think of this.
There are also plenty of even more affordable housing complexes/apartments within driving distance.
I personally preferred to live close to campus for the easier commute. The car line to enter the garage in the AM also gets quite long.

If you want roommates, there’s also usually a lot of houses for rent around the area! I was at UC for undergrad (diagonal from med campus) and a lot of people I know rented houses with others for a cheaper option. A lot of houses grad students live in like this are by the VA hospital which you can walk “through” to get to med campus. About a ~10 minute walk. These houses are on Glendora and vine st. There’s also an apartment complex over there called University Edge that has a shuttle station right outside of it that takes you to med campus.

If you want roommates, there’s also usually a lot of houses for rent around the area! I was at UC for undergrad (diagonal from med campus) and a lot of people I know rented houses with others for a cheaper option. A lot of houses grad students live in like this are by the VA hospital which you can walk “through” to get to med campus. About a ~10 minute walk. These houses are on Glendora and vine st. There’s also an apartment complex over there called University Edge that has a shuttle station right outside of it that takes you to med campus.
I'm not sure if you can truly walk through the VA without a valid badge. I was on a rotation that required me to get there very, very early-and if I recall correctly, I had to swipe myself in with a badge, specifically at the set of doors that would let you access UC campus on the other side. Not sure if the rules have changed since last year but this was my experience.
Agreed that some people do live in houses around the area though. Depending on if you can cut thru the VA or not, 10-15 min walk, not bad at all

I'm not sure if you can truly walk through the VA without a valid badge. I was on a rotation that required me to get there very, very early-and if I recall correctly, I had to swipe myself in with a badge, specifically at the set of doors that would let you access UC campus on the other side. Not sure if the rules have changed since last year but this was my experience.
Agreed that some people do live in houses around the area though. Depending on if you can cut thru the VA or not, 10-15 min walk, not bad at all

Ah they might have changed it since I walked through there. I lived over there and did SURF at the med campus back in 2018 and was able to walk through that hallway to the other side back then.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah they might have changed it since I walked through there. I lived over there and did SURF at the med campus back in 2018 and was able to walk through that hallway to the other side back then.
Oh okay, my experiences were from 2019
But many people walk around the VA and make it to school, definitely doable

for those of you who got IIs, can you share your stats please? I wanna know if there’s any hope for me lol. also CONGRATS!!

II just now! OOS with strong ties.

Reactions: 5 users
Congrats! I hope this does not come off as rude, but are you still going to interview considering you have 9 acceptances?
Honestly, I’ve reflected about it and I’m planning on keep interviewing at mid- to top-tier programs that invite me. Parents don’t have any money and I have a few dependents, so aid packages will be a big factor on where to attend.

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Honestly, I’ve reflected about it and I’m planning on keep interviewing at mid- to top-tier programs that invite me. Parents don’t have any money and I have a few dependents, so aid packages will be a big factor on where to attend.
Makes sense! It was just a curiosity question. All those acceptances are so awesome. I hope you get the aid package that you are looking for!!

• Care
II, complete late september; URM, OOS, LM ~70

was assigned an interview on the same day as a different interview, how is this school with rescheduling bc I feel awful asking :(

• Love

was assigned an interview on the same day as a different interview, how is this school with rescheduling bc I feel awful asking :(
I asked to be rescheduled so i could give my work more time for a heads up and UC was so kind about it! They even offered me multiple rescheduling dates and were very quick responding to my emails!

I asked to be rescheduled so i could give my work more time for a heads up and UC was so kind about it! They even offered me multiple rescheduling dates and were very quick responding to my emails!
That is so sweet! I am just so excited and don't want it to seem that I am not-- you know. Thanks for the reply! :)

Also got the II yesterday! IS URM and complete end of July

Hey has anyone successfully conducted the interview on a Mac? That's what I have, I just passed the systems check on it, but they recommend a PC. Not sure what to do here...

Just email them in a timely manner with your request and it shouldn't affect you negatively. I was offered 3 dates to choose from when I was in the same situation. Finally interviewing tomorrow, good luck!

• Care
Ahhh congrats! I interviewed the same day! Fingers crossed for some good news coming my way!
I was also on that day so hello to both of y'all! Looks like Cincy decided to make one call after business hours and then call it a day to troll the rest of us (or maybe they just accepted one SDNer this time :rofl: )

I was also on that day so hello to both of y'all! Looks like Cincy decided to make one call after business hours and then call it a day to troll the rest of us (or maybe they just accepted one SDNer this time :rofl: )
hopefully it's the first lol! Hoping for good news for both of us tomorrow!!

• Care
Congrats to those who were accepted! Current student, happy to answer questions here or via inbox! :)

Accepted! My first one :))

Interviewed 10/13. OOS. LM 79

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Does anyone know when Cinci gives out merit scholarships?
1608138855795.png

Have any Rs gone out or do they wait until the cycle is over?