2020-2021 UNC - Chapel Hill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wasn't checking everyday so I got an email that said there was a portal update with an admission decision which I checked and it was an R. Hopefully this helps. Not particularly sure on what the exact timeline of events is.
@effervescentseaotter Gotcha, no worries. Thanks! So instead of "Decided" is just said "Rejected"?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone! Just thought I’d offer some relief by letting you know, I just spoke with an MS1 that found out UNC is using March 15th as the deadline they’re following. So hopefully you’ll hear something soon.
So does that mean they are still sending acceptance this week?

So does that mean they are still sending acceptance this week?
That I also don’t know. Acceptances can last all week though! The same friend that's a current MS1 didn’t find out about her acceptance until Thursday so it could be any time this week. I’m not sure what their specific timelines are, but she did want to keep me updated that they’re hoping for March 15th.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That I also don’t know. Acceptances can last all week though! The same friend that's a current MS1 didn’t find out about her acceptance until Thursday so it could be any time this week. I’m not sure what their specific timelines are, but she did want to keep me updated that they’re hoping for March 15th.
Gotcha thanks for update! Really helpful! I just don't see why if they met on Monday they would wait till like another day to send out further acceptances? What is your insight on that?

Gotcha thanks for update! Really helpful! I just don't see why if they met on Monday they would wait till like another day to send out further acceptances? What is your insight on that?
This is purely speculation because, as soon as I notice a pattern, UNC likes to switch the game, but I think if you were to find out this week your portal would have already changed to Decided. Although I believe it was last week, that there were individuals whose portals changed on Wednesday so who knows at this point.

So what does this mean for all the people that still sat awaiting decision? If they met on Monday and this is there last week wouldn’t everyone be decided now then?

I’m sure adcom still meets because wouldn’t they have to discuss WL applicants? I’m not quite sure though if they’re preranked or what.
So what does this mean for all the people that still sat awaiting decision? If they met on Monday and this is there last week wouldn’t everyone be decided now then?

Just got the A, interviewed 1/7, complete 10/6, my interviewer called

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
I'm highly thinking they are done with acceptances for now and will be going to WL/R based on the last 3 years thread for UNC

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do y'all know if UNC accepts letters of intent if/once you're on the MD waitlist? Or do they still not accept any?

Any post Rs recently? I know that’s kinda a sensitive question but just curious

So do we think for all of those still awaiting decision they just go in and click a button and it changes us all rejected?

So do we think for all of those still awaiting decision they just go in and click a button and it changes us all rejected?
I mean I'm hoping at least some of them will be waitlists

I mean I'm hoping at least some of them will be waitlists
Lol I just meant like do we think they have a control alt and they change the rest of us at once? Since they are keeping with March 15 and it seems like a lot of people are still awaiting decision I’m just wondering how they are going to change everyone by Monday.

I had 2 IS friends get post-II Rs today 😔 just so appalling how they have us on a leash for so long just to deny us at the end.

So true. I’m so sorry for your friends, I really feel for them 😢 if ur comfortable sharing and can, when did they interview?

I’ve seen a couple things on here that people asked to clarify:

1) when you’re portal changes to decided it doesn’t tell if it’s acceptance or rejection.

2) the email to check your portal for your decision is bare bones as hell so if you’re either decision it’ll sound bad.

3) my portal changed on Tuesday last week but I didn’t get the decision until Thursday morning.

4) you might not get a call from your interviewer ever because I haven’t yet (I think Rusino or whatever their name is didnt either) so don’t freak out if you’re decided and don’t get a call right away

Reactions: 10 users
i have accepted that Im not gonna hear back or if I do its gonna be a rejection or waitlist

Reactions: 3 users
long time lurker.. was waitlisted last year and still waiting to hear back for this year, just another few days until we find out, but its either waitlist or rejection. I told myself if I get waitlisted again to treat it as a rejection, so mentally I will get ready to restart another cycle. Last year got rejected off the waitlist 2 weeks before classes started. I was so hopeful I was gonna sneak in off the waitlist, it took its toll, but I tried to take it as a learning opportunity. Its a lovely process. Just gotta keep our heads up fam.

I always first see the optional withdrawal form listed on my portal each time I log in and I keep thinking I accidentally submitted that and that's why they haven't made a decision on me yet for 5 months...

Then we all did that. I just feel like it’s not super great to be strung along for this long with no decision either way

Then we all did that. I just feel like it’s not super great to be strung along for this long with no decision either way
ya agreed just wish we had more clarity on the process
i wonder if they're going to send out more acceptances though since this year is wildly different from past ones
i know last year on this day (thursday) lots of waitlists went out

I’m gonna laugh when they meet again on Monday and send out more As bc this cycle has been so crazy (fingers crossed)

Reactions: 2 users
I hate it here lmao
it does cause anxiety. Last year checking the website and seeing people get accepted and not hearing anything back got me upset. For many people this will be the first time you face rejection, it was in my case last year. This year I havnt been checking it as often, because of that association. Honestly it is difficult process, but just gotta take it one step at a time. Many students have to apply 2 or 3 times, like myself.

Reminder that all the people saying everyone still waiting is either rejected or waitlisted are just speculating. Don’t give up hope until you get a decision

Reactions: 6 users
If you have yet to hear an answer, I highly recommend getting off this site for the next several days. All its going to do is stress you out and it won't get you anywhere. The summary for all the people asking about when others got portal changes vs calls vs emails- it's all variable. Just because your portal says decided doesn't mean you're getting an answer today. And it doesn't mean it'll be a good or bad answer. You might get a call before an email or vice versa. Ultimately, you'll know when you know. And I know that's frustrating to hear, but I think it helps the anxiety to not be obsessing over all these things as maybe signs. Try to find a distraction. Check your portal once a day and then walk away. You guys will all get through this. I know you've been waiting a long time and are beyond stressed out and frustrated with the process. Take a break. Enjoy the spring day (if its spring where you are; it is in NC) get some ice cream. Treat yourself :)

Reactions: 14 users
If you have yet to hear an answer, I highly recommend getting off this site for the next several days. All its going to do is stress you out and it won't get you anywhere. The summary for all the people asking about when others got portal changes vs calls vs emails- it's all variable. Just because your portal says decided doesn't mean you're getting an answer today. And it doesn't mean it'll be a good or bad answer. You might get a call before an email or vice versa. Ultimately, you'll know when you know. And I know that's frustrating to hear, but I think it helps the anxiety to not be obsessing over all these things as maybe signs. Try to find a distraction. Check your portal once a day and then walk away. You guys will all get through this. I know you've been waiting a long time and are beyond stressed out and frustrated with the process. Take a break. Enjoy the spring day (if its spring where you are; it is in NC) get some ice cream. Treat yourself :)
Ice cream and Vitamin D don't sound like a bad plan.

First time checking SDN today (i'm shocked) but I do agree with @alibon that SDN stresses you out. It is a wonderful platform that allows us to at least have some idea of what the school is doing but it also creates an environment where we are comparing ourselves to others, which is natural but unhealthy. Sooo all in all, I love it and hate it here.

S.N. no notification from UNC today. Hoping they have a meeting on Monday :):cryi:

Reactions: 3 users
By "anyone else" are you implying that yours did?

Edit: because no, it did not :(
Yes, mine and one of my friends did as well. I interviewed 2/1 and he interviewed in November sometime (not sure of date). I thought maybe it was the blanket change to everyone who was left for a WL/R

Yes, mine and one of my friends did as well. I interviewed 2/1 and he interviewed in November sometime (not sure of date). I thought maybe it was the blanket change to everyone who was left for a WL/R
+1 changed to decided. Interviewed 1/11

Mine looks the same as always, Sept interview hmmmm

Just checked, mine is decided as well. Interviewed October. I’ve got a bad feeling about this...

Reactions: 2 users