2020-2021 Touro University Nevada College of Osteopathic Medicine (Henderson, NV) TUNCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know how filled the class is at this point? My interview is scheduled for 3/22 and I really want to go here!
I cannot vouch for your year, but I was also interviewed in late March when I applied to TUN in 2018 and a big chunk (like 6 outta the 8 of us) of my interview group got accepted and are my classmates, so best of luck to you!

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Got a pre-ii R, the title definitely deceived me lol.

Good luck everyone still in the running!

Post II waitlisted just now. Anyone know what the movement is like off the waitlist here?
So the "good" news is, You're in the running until the day orientation starts. I was accepted 5 days prior to mandatory orientation. Threw my clothes and computer in a my car and started driving the next day. The less good news is, based on last year's thread there's not a lot of waitlist movement compared to other schools. I suspect there may be even less this year because the economy and the the pandemic may make people cling to their spots.

So the "good" news is, You're in the running until the day orientation starts. I was accepted 5 days prior to mandatory orientation. Threw my clothes and computer in a my car and started driving the next day. The less good news is, based on last year's thread there's not a lot of waitlist movement compared to other schools. I suspect there may be even less this year because the economy and the the pandemic may make people cling to their spots.
Weren’t they saying there’s more waitlist movement this year because people could attend more interviews due to the online format?

Weren’t they saying there’s more waitlist movement this year because people could attend more interviews due to the online format?
I don't claim to be an expert; I'm only guessing based on how I would behave. Here's my entirely hypothetical take on the situation. Due to the online format, there are more interviews attended. The top students, a small portion (overrepresented on SDN), are offered more than a couple interviews. So yes this could result in a stellar student with 7 attended interviews and 7 WL getting accepted to their least favorite, second least favorite, third least favorite and so on and hoarding 7 WL spots when they may have only been hanging on to 4 in a typical year. I wouldn't know how to quantify this group but I suspect they are small, especially among the DO applicant pool. The rest of us, the average students who get a couple II and count ourselves lucky to get a single A (that's ~50% according to gonnif; 50% of accepted students only receive a single A) will cling to that A for dear life.

I believe this will lead to later waitlist movement, especially at the less competitive schools, but not necessarily more movement.

Just my thoughts. I don't mean to be a downer. There are the same number of seats. I personally wouldn't bank on a WL meaning there's a higher chance of acceptance since there could be more people on the WL too (the other edge of the sword of more interview attendances).

I don't claim to be an expert; I'm only guessing based on how I would behave. Here's my entirely hypothetical take on the situation. Due to the online format, there are more interviews attended. The top students, a small portion (overrepresented on SDN), are offered more than a couple interviews. So yes this could result in a stellar student with 7 attended interviews and 7 WL getting accepted to their least favorite, second least favorite, third least favorite and so on and hoarding 7 WL spots when they may have only been hanging on to 4 in a typical year. I wouldn't know how to quantify this group but I suspect they are small, especially among the DO applicant pool. The rest of us, the average students who get a couple II and count ourselves lucky to get a single A (that's ~50% according to gonnif; 50% of accepted students only receive a single A) will cling to that A for dear life.

I believe this will lead to later waitlist movement, especially at the less competitive schools, but not necessarily more movement.

Just my thoughts. I don't mean to be a downer. There are the same number of seats. I personally wouldn't bank on a WL meaning there's a higher chance of acceptance since there could be more people on the WL too (the other edge of the sword of more interview attendances).
I agree with this, I’m not really buying the more movement thing with the increase in apps, I don’t believe all these extra apps are less competitive.

I agree with this, I’m not really buying the more movement thing with the increase in apps, I don’t believe all these extra apps are less competitive.
Fair enough guys. I see what you're saying. I myself was skeptical of the waitlist claims too. The weird thing I saw this cycle is a lot of DO schools are heavily waitlisting which didn't make sense to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
II! I signed up for a waitlist slot next week.

Has anyone NOT had a spot open up in that situation?

II, I didnt see anything open til April unfortunately

Withdrawing my acceptance! Hope it helps one of you on the waitlist! 🙂

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know how filled the class is? Trying to taper my expectations for a possible acceptance in case the class is almost full.

Does anyone know how filled the class is? Trying to taper my expectations for a possible acceptance in case the class is almost full.
Idk about full but the class I was accepted to last year had relatively little WL movement, but the movement continued to happen very late in the cycle (like July).

For those that wanted to know, I was able to get a spot for Monday's interview off their waitlist. It took basically 1.5 days to get the call from them from when I signed up and when I got off the list.

For those that get an invite in the future, choose the waitlist spot FIRST and then you log back in and grab a secure spot after that. You will then have a secure spot for later if the waitlist doesn't work out.

Anyone know how full the class is? Interviewing on 3/22 and this school is my top choice.

Anyone know when the last interview dates are?
Saw someone post above that they got an interview invitation and only saw April dates, so at least into April!

I had a surprisingly fabulous interview experience and am really really hoping for that A!!

Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed yesterday in the AM and had a truly great experience as well! I love this school and the town. For anyone interested, I was born and raised in Las Vegas and know the area quite well so if you have any questions PM me!
I am still wondering if saying that I brew beer was a good idea for my ‘fun fact’
Good luck to everyone!

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I interviewed yesterday in the AM and had a truly great experience as well! I love this school and the town. For anyone interested, I was born and raised in Las Vegas and know the area quite well so if you have any questions PM me!
I am still wondering if saying that I brew beer was a good idea for my ‘fun fact’
Good luck to everyone!
I thought it was awesome!! And just in case it was slightly misinterpreted, your recovery making it science-y was excellent!

Does anyone know when orientation is for the incoming class? Thanks!

Interviewed on Monday. The interview day was great but the faculty who interviewed me were totally disinterested in me, rude, cutting me off, and telling me that I’m not good enough to go there (literally said that to me...). I handled myself well and stayed composed but I’m not sure what to do... do I email admissions and let them know I felt completely mistreated and disrespected or do I just accept that I won’t get in here?

I like the school but my interviewers were just awful.

• Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Interviewed on Monday. The interview day was great but the faculty who interviewed me were totally disinterested in me, rude, cutting me off, and telling me that I’m not good enough to go there (literally said that to me...). I handled myself well and stayed composed but I’m not sure what to do... do I email admissions and let them know I felt completely mistreated and disrespected or do I just accept that I won’t get in here?

I like the school but my interviewers were just awful.
A few other applicants earlier in the thread had a similar experience unfortunately. I have a feeling there is only one set of interviewers doing this to applicants considering a lot of other applicants have the opposite experience.

I did speak to a colleague who does admissions for another medical school and they said this is a tactic to see how you handle stress and if you get flustered. Sounds like you handled it well but it’s unfortunate that your interview experience was lackluster. I don’t understand how they can do this to their applicants, make them feel unwelcomed, and then expect them to choose them over other medical schools.

A few other applicants earlier in the thread had a similar experience unfortunately. I have a feeling there is only one set of interviewers doing this to applicants considering a lot of other applicants have the opposite experience.

I did speak to a colleague who does admissions for another medical school and they said this is a tactic to see how you handle stress and if you get flustered. Sounds like you handled it well but it’s unfortunate that your interview experience was lackluster. I don’t understand how they can do this to their applicants, make them feel unwelcomed, and then expect them to choose them over other medical schools.
Yeah I was worried that was going to happen to me too. I had an interview experience like that earlier in the cycle and it was difficult to not let it sully my feelings about the school, which were very good before then. I ended up getting accepted there, for what it is worth.

My interviewers at TUN were both smiley and friendly, though their questions were challenging. They asked a literal smorgasbord of questions including ethical and situational which I wasn't expecting because of the feedback on this thread, but I think it went well.

I am kind of sad that the faculty members that interviewed you, @FutureOrtho1996, would say you weren't GOOD ENOUGH! That can't be true. That must've really hurt! That's so not consistent with every other experience I have had with the school and the philosophy of the Dean. :( *hugs*

Yeah I was worried that was going to happen to me too. I had an interview experience like that earlier in the cycle and it was difficult to not let it sully my feelings about the school, which were very good before then. I ended up getting accepted there, for what it is worth.

My interviewers at TUN were both smiley and friendly, though their questions were challenging. They asked a literal smorgasbord of questions including ethical and situational which I wasn't expecting because of the feedback on this thread, but I think it went well.

I am kind of sad that the faculty members that interviewed you, @FutureOrtho1996, would say you weren't GOOD ENOUGH! That can't be true. That must've really hurt! That's so not consistent with every other experience I have had with the school and the philosophy of the Dean. :( *hugs*
It’s a real shame and I can’t believe they could ever justify this type of treatment...

• Care
It’s a real shame and I can’t believe they could ever justify this type of treatment...
It really makes me wonder if they put candidates with certain faculty based on their assumptions about the applicant. Like, if you are actually a stellar candidate and they're worried your ego would be too big and easily bruised so they want to make sure you can remain calm and humble in the face of all that. Or maybe you're young and they think you might be too sheltered and they want to make sure you have confidence?

I'm probably totally over-thinking it, but it's possible! And btw, I am not making any kind of judgment or guess about you, @FutureOrtho1996 , this is all spit-balling at the reasoning behind such an asymmetrical experience.

• Hmm
man it doesnt even matter what your stats are. why did they invite you for an interview only to tell you to your face that you aren't good enough to go there??

i fully understand the need to sometimes test applicants and see how they fare under pressure, but this is excessive. sorry you had to go through that.

Last edited by a moderator:
man it doesnt even matter what your stats are. why did they invite you for an interview only to tell you to your face that you aren't good enough to go there??

i fully understand the need to sometimes test applicants and see how this fare under pressure, but this is excessive. sorry you had to go through that.

I agree with this. You are absolutely good enough to go there. Anyone who is invited to an interview is good enough to go to the school. Stats do not matter at that point (at least it shouldn’t) and everyone should be on an equal playing field. I’m sorry you had that experience while others had positive. It does strike me as odd how wildly different the interview experiences have been. Maybe it was a group of rogue interviewers each time! Good luck, and get ready for the phone call on the 25th saying you’re accepted!

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if mandatory stuff happens more in the morning or the afternoon?

Decided to withdraw my acceptance, I hope it goes to one of you!

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know if mandatory stuff happens more in the morning or the afternoon?
I'm OMS-1 here. Mandatory things tend to be spread over morning and afternoon and are based on what times you're assigned. They can be anywhere from 1 hour to 6 hours a week. We have 1 hour of mandatory OMM on Tuesday - that time is assigned to you and could start anywhere from 8:30am to 4pm. Stays the same throughout the year though. There used to be a couple hours of mandatory lecture on Wednesday for clinical skills. Now with COVID we just have an hour long lab in the afternoon every couple of weeks. It's unclear if they will return to the mandatory clinical skills lecture format. Anatomy lab tends to be in the afternoon but is shifted to the AM if it happens to fall on the Sabbath (Friday).

I’ve been under review since 2/09, anyone know how long it takes to get final review or pre II R from the under review date?

I’ve been under review since 2/09, anyone know how long it takes to get final review or pre II R from the under review date?
Forever. I think it took me over two months but it may be faster now since it is closer to the end of the cycle.

How long do the post-II decisions usually take before being announced?

this. on my interview day the admissions coordinator told us the exact day we would hear back

the honesty and promptness was refreshing!
Yea same. From my interview, we should hear back in the 23rd which is next Tuesday!