2020-2021 Stanford

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
From what I understand, this year, the are scrapping the MMI. The VITA is standing in as an MMI substitute and all we are going to have is a traditional interview
So, there is no MMI portion for Stanford interviews this year?

Members don't see this ad.

So, there is no MMI portion for Stanford interviews this year?

That is what I understood for the correspondence I received! But I am simply a premed like the rest of you so I could be wrong

Reactions: 1 user
Not sure if this is allowed here, but is anyone still working on their knight-hennessy application? I'd love to swap essays with someone

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure if this is allowed here, but is anyone still working on their knight-hennessy application? I'd love to swap essays with someone
Hey! I'm still working on my application too! Covid has really delayed my app cycle (still need to submit secondary too) but I was wondering if you could clarify the deadline for me? on the KHS website, states that the "AMCAS deadline is OCT. 15th" for the med school deadline to be eligible for KHS. Also "The deadline shown in this table corresponds to the date by when Stanford must receive your complete application materials. Since it may take a couple of weeks for applications to be processed through AMCAS or LSAC." However on the secondary portal, it says the secondary application deadline for Stanford is Oct. 22. Are they referring to just when you add the school for the primary and SMS receives your primary app and LORs?

Or does my secondary need to be done by the 15th too

"AMCAS deadline is OCT. 15th" for the med school deadline to be eligible for KHS. Also

KHS initial submission - 10/14 deadline
AMCAS is the primary application - 10/15 deadline
Secondary deadline - 10/22 deadline

KHS initial submission - 10/14 deadline
AMCAS is the primary application - 10/15 deadline
Secondary deadline - 10/22 deadline
Awesome! Thank you! Wish everyone the best this cycle

Anyone know if you indicated applying to KH on the Stanford secondary if you will be reviewed later?

Anyone know if you indicated applying to KH on the Stanford secondary if you will be reviewed later?

Both those apps are reviewed by different committees so I don't think that people applying to KH will necessarily hear back later (NaijaBoy got his II and he applied to KHS). I am also pretty sure I read somewhere on the KH website that if you are not accepted by a Stanford graduate program an acceptance from KH will mean nothing. I hope that there isn't a correlation there because I indicated that I planned to apply to KHS but ended up changing my mind later.

To support the first reply, I also don't think that it will make any difference. I think the checkbox was just their way of making sure that you looked into the KHS program, I don't think it has much bearing on the interview invite process at all. I'm not sure what the decision timeline is for KHS after submission, but I think it's possible that if they "accepted" you before hearing back from the medical school, they may weigh that into their final decision. However, like the last person said, you can't get accepted without first being accepted into the school.

I bet there are a lot of people who checked the box and then didn't end up applying because the application is very long and people may not have fully looked into it or had enough time to complete it between secondaries/interview prep/whatever other jobs/activities they're involved in. If it was a full-commitment to check the box, they would have said so, but because many people probably check it and don't finish the application, I don't think it would play a role in decisions.

II notification today for both the PTSP and MD Program, LizzyM 77, complete 8/5, loves apple pie, puts socks on before underwear, and dances in the shower.

• Love
  • Inappropriate
Reactions: 14 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone interviewing wanna put in a good word for premedguy12?

Reactions: 1 users
Is there a place for us to send in updates (like new publications, jobs, etc.) to Stanford?

in my AAMC VITA status update email today, stanford was listed as one of the schools that wanted me to complete VITA but I haven't gotten an II. does this mean I'm on the fence for an II/anyone else in this boat?

Reactions: 5 users
i just got a vita thing too...im shook. what is going on

Reactions: 3 users
This is so weird. I got a VITA invite from Stanford right now, but no official interview invite from Stanford itself. Anyone else experiencing the same thing? I'm worried it might be a mistake and don't want to get my hopes up about a Stanford ii yet :/

Reactions: 2 users
in my AAMC VITA status update email today, stanford was listed as one of the schools that wanted me to complete VITA but I haven't gotten an II. does this mean I'm on the fence for an II/anyone else in this boat?
+1

The website says "Applicants who are in consideration, may also be invited to complete the AAMC VITA. The VITA will be complementary to our holistic review process."

Im thinking because of their wording this is a pre-II screening.

To those who applied, did anyone not get the VITA invite?
To those who got an II, did anyone not get the VITA invite?
I already did VITA for a different school, and I didn't get the overview email this week with the list of schools who invited me, so idk whether or not I got it. Don't think I'll get the VITA update email again for another few weeks (got it last week), so guess I get to wait for an II the old fashioned way.

To those who applied, did anyone not get the VITA invite?
To those who got an II, did anyone not get the VITA invite?
I applied, but didn't get a VITA status update at all. I already submitted my VITA for another school awhile ago.

Did VITA for a school back in mid August, no invite from Stanford ( II or VITA).

In that case, would we only have the opportunity to present any new updates at the interview stage? if we're fortunate enough to get one
Lol, that's the real rub, isn't it. I would assume so. This is a good thing to bring up if they ask a question like, " anything else you'd like us to know?"

did anyone who has already gotten an II from Stanford regular MD also get Stanford added to their VITA list? now im wondering if anyone just got the II without having to do VITA lol

That is good to know, I already did VITA and got a VITA invite email with Stanford on it. Oh boy this is like the BU delay email again...what does it mean...?
What do you mean by BU Delay Email again?

Does anyone know how to check the list of schools your VITA was sent to? I just sent it in earlier this week for another school but on the confirmation screen it listed two designees (but didn't name them). Not sure how to check

did anyone who has already gotten an II from Stanford regular MD also get Stanford added to their VITA list? now im wondering if anyone just got the II without having to do VITA lol
Is there a way to view your VITA list? I don't believe I've ever received a VITA update from the AAMC...

I don't believe there is a way to see the VITA list except on the update emails. I believe AAMC sends the update email on Thursdays ONLY if there is a new school that requested it after the previous update. For example on mine, I got my first update 9/17 with one school and the next 10/8 with the second. Check your spam folders and if still nothing (and you have taken or received invite for VITA), contact AAMC.

I don't believe there is a way to see the VITA list except on the update emails. I believe AAMC sends the update email on Thursdays ONLY if there is a new school that requested it after the previous update. For example on mine, I got my first update 9/17 with one school and the next 10/8 with the second. Check your spam folders and if still nothing (and you have taken or received invite for VITA), contact AAMC.
Okay, that helps. Thank you!! I appreciate the info!

So, they will not use MCATs to screen and send II but will use in final decisions - yes?

Rip. the only thing saving my app from a stats perspective is a 524 :(

Reactions: 8 users
is there a recommended deadline to do the VITA? stanford is the first school to ask me for a VITA, and I doubt they are going to send me an update regarding a general deadline like other schools have

Is Stanford rolling admissions, and anyone have any idea of how many IIs might have been sent out already ?

is there a recommended deadline to do the VITA? stanford is the first school to ask me for a VITA, and I doubt they are going to send me an update regarding a general deadline like other schools have

Not sure the answer to your question but when were you complete?

Is Stanford rolling admissions, and anyone have any idea of how many IIs might have been sent out already ?

Based on previous years, I think they are rolling in terms of II and As. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they look at apps entirely based on submission date. So if someone who has submitted their secondary after you gets an II its a strong indication of an R for you. However, they don't send Rs in the same wave as IIs. Based on previous years, it seems like they send Rs in larger chunks/less frequency. Last year, I think their first R wave was sometime in October? So, I would imagine an upcoming R wave in 2-3 weeks?

The deadline is two weeks after the interview invite.

Based on previous years, I think they are rolling in terms of II and As. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they look at apps entirely based on submission date. So if someone who has submitted their secondary after you gets an II its a strong indication of an R for you.

I do not believe that this is true. If you look at the Interview Invite Tracker from past cycles, you will find people that have submission dates in July who receive II as late as December, in years where Stanford sent out II starting in late August, rather than October for this cycle (even more of a reason not to worry about submission date).

I know current Stanford MD students who had II in December and Interviews in late January. The best indicator of an R for Stanford is simply completing an application for their MD program. This year (with +50% growth in the number of applications for the same number of seats) the "did I submit a secondary at Stanford" and "Did I receive an R from Stanford" will correlate 99% of the time. Try not to get wrapped up in worrying about submission dates and stuff. Y'all got this!

I'm not an applicant in this cycle, but I work here at Stanford SOM (In research, not admissions). Feel free to reach out about stuff within the SOM, especially those who have interviews and want more info about the school

Reactions: 6 users