2020-2021 Stanford

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Both. The question is what hospital? There are many academic clinicians who don't participate in any research and are purely clinical. Generally academic physicians participate in a variety of activities in addition to clinical practice, or purely clinical practice. If you are faculty at an academic medical center, you are an academic, but that doesn't mean you do research, although many do. Academic medical centers are distinct from non academic centers in that they are involved in medical training; i.e. there are residents, fellows and/or med students who train at the same institution and clinical academic faculty may or may not interact with them / be involved in medical education / training.

Non-academic clinical practice generally means Private Practice. That said, the models of how physicians work are always changing and there are even "privademics" with private practices or industry roles/titles in addition to their academic appointments. Medicine is a small and big world at the same time.
Well said Lucca, these terms could get pretty nuanced.

Members don't see this ad.

What are people writing for the optional essay? Stanford basically already has a "why us" (restricted to the Diversity curriculum, I guess), a diversity, and a coronavirus essay. I know it's optional but...

Wrote a couple sentences about ties to the area, though I’m sure they don’t care about that.

Did y'all order publications chronologically or list your higher author ones first?

Members don't see this ad :)
What are people writing for the optional essay? Stanford basically already has a "why us" (restricted to the Diversity curriculum, I guess), a diversity, and a coronavirus essay. I know it's optional but...
Mentioned how a current student with a similar non-trad background to my own inspired me to look into Stanford and briefly addressed the issue of my age since I am over 30.

Reactions: 1 user
Are these guys big on the two week turnaround
I just submitted it and its been like 3 weeks

NO i meant two week turn arroundon secondary. I got the secondary 3 weeks ago. I submitted today so ims csred ill get insta R without being read

Hey y'all, just wanted to pop in and say if you are a reapplicant to Stanford and used a different email for the previous application cycle, you might want to check your old email. I applied for the 2018-2019 cycle and used a different email address than the current cycle. Apparently, a secondary invite was sent to that old email (probably an issue in the system) on 7/21 but I had no idea until today since I hadn't touched that email in a year.

How binding is the answer to the Knights Henny question? If we plan on applying but dont get around to it or vice versa does anyone know how that affects our application review?

Reactions: 3 users
How binding is the answer to the Knights Henny question? If we plan on applying but dont get around to it or vice versa does anyone know how that affects our application review?
also very curious about this. anyone?

are there rules for which applications can be paired with certain scholarly concentrations? @Lucca or any current students on here

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
are there rules for which applications can be paired with certain scholarly concentrations? for example, could i choose a scholarly concentration in community health with an application in neuroscience? @Lucca or any current students on here

I'm not precisely sure, but at least on the declaration application it doesn't stop me from doing that. If you can pitch the idea to the director of the concentration, I'd put my money on they let you do it. Ultimately it's the research project proposal that matters more than what coursework you choose to supplement it.

Anyone still waiting on secondaries :( ?(verified on 7/24, OOS).

Anyone still waiting on secondaries :( ?(verified on 7/24, OOS).
I e-mailed their office after asking myself why I hadn't received one. They suggested a few things.

"If you have not already done so, you will want to confirm with AMCAS that your application was verified and forwarded to the medical schools that you have applied. I believe that applicants receive updates from AMCAS informing them of the status of their application or the status of the verification process. The other reason that I have noticed why some applicants are not invited to complete our supplementary application is that the email address is wrong or invalid so please check that this is correct. And lastly, if you have not already done so, please check your junk/spam mail."

My own oversight was thinking I had indicated Stanford on my primary when I hadn't... Not a good look when it's in your top 3.

• Wow
when does stanford usually send out the first wave of IIs? i know things might be delayed this year of course compared to previous years

when does stanford usually send out the first wave of IIs? i know things might be delayed this year of course compared to previous years

You can check on last year's interview tracker to see when people began self-reporting interview invites

Has anyone had Secondary Submission errors? I have checked all certification boxes, but when I submit I get an error that I have to check the certification boxes. Can you please advise. Thanks.

I didn't end up going to stanford so plz don't ask me questions abt it, but fwiw i checked this box last year, changed my mind and didn't end up filling out a KH app, and still got in, so you're super duper fine to do whatever imo

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone had Secondary Submission errors? I have checked all certification boxes, but when I submit I get an error that I have to check the certification boxes. Can you please advise. Thanks.

I'm getting this error now. Did you figure out how to fix this?

I e-mailed their office after asking myself why I hadn't received one. They suggested a few things.

"If you have not already done so, you will want to confirm with AMCAS that your application was verified and forwarded to the medical schools that you have applied. I believe that applicants receive updates from AMCAS informing them of the status of their application or the status of the verification process. The other reason that I have noticed why some applicants are not invited to complete our supplementary application is that the email address is wrong or invalid so please check that this is correct. And lastly, if you have not already done so, please check your junk/spam mail."

My own oversight was thinking I had indicated Stanford on my primary when I hadn't... Not a good look when it's in your top 3.

Thank you so much!!! Yeah, I checked all of that, again. And emailed them also. I might just be the one who did not earn a secondary :(

Good Luck to you!

I'm also having this problem! Has anyone been able to figure it out?

I sent them a message about it in my portal, and like ~an hour later I got an email confirmation that my secondary was submitted and my file was complete. I never actually did anything after my message, so I'm assuming they just dealt with whatever was happening internally.

I sent them a message about it in my portal, and like ~an hour later I got an email confirmation that my secondary was submitted and my file was complete. I never actually did anything after my message, so I'm assuming they just dealt with whatever was happening internally.
Thank you, will try this!

What is the difference between academic medicine (clinical) and academic medicine (physician scientist)? Is one just MSTP and one MD? Are they both research?

As I understand it, the former centers around mentorship of residents and fellows, as well as third- and four-year medical students. It may also involve sponsoring clinical trials/drug studies.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
What is the difference between academic medicine (clinical) and academic medicine (physician scientist)? Is one just MSTP and one MD? Are they both research?
Clinical - clinical trials, non-interventional studies, etc.
Physician Scientist - basic/translational science research, mouse pre-clinical studies, etc.

Clinical - clinical trials, non-interventional studies, etc.
Physician Scientist - basic/translational science research, mouse pre-clinical studies, etc.
I'd say that's a generalization and not always correct. For example, there are definitely physician scientists who run clinical trials and do non-interventional studies. There's no formal distinction between the two in terms of the type of research they can do. But, sure, time constraints often dictate what forms of research are more likely for each.

Academic medicine (clinical) = majority of time spent seeing patients, but also involved in research or other scholarly work
Academic medicine (physician scientist) = significant (or majority of) time spent on research, but also sees patients

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
No. You could get an II, but you would not get accepted without an MCAT.

"In fairness to all applicants, the MCAT will not be part of the screening and initial review process for interview decisions."

If you took the MCAT before and didn't do well, Stanford will still see your score. Altho the MCAT is not part of the screening/initial review for the interview process, it is highly unlikely that one would get admitted to Stanford post-interview if his/her initial MCAT score is below average for Stanford. Since you likely applied to many other schools, you should decide whether a re-take is worth it for you.

If you took the MCAT before and didn't do well, Stanford will still see your score. Altho the MCAT is not part of the screening/initial review for the interview process, it is highly unlikely that one would get admitted to Stanford post-interview if his/her initial MCAT score is below average for Stanford. Since you likely applied to many other schools, you should decide whether a re-take is worth it for you.
I’d have to disagree with this because I know people who were way below the average but with outstanding extra curricular activities like first author pubs, got in. So, I think it’s more than just stats.

I’d have to disagree with this because I know people who were way below the average but with outstanding extra curricular activities like first author pubs, got in. So, I think it’s more than just stats.
yes it is still unlikely tho if your MCAT is below average unless you can make up for it in other ways like first author pubs as you suggested. there are always exceptions of course, but i personally wouldn't even bother applying unless i was at least at the 25th percentile of the school's MCAT.

yes it is still unlikely tho if your MCAT is below average unless you can make up for it in other ways like first author pubs as you suggested. there are always exceptions of course, but i personally wouldn't even bother applying unless i was at least at the 25th percentile of the school's MCAT.
You do realize that half the people that get into Stanford every year are “below average,” right? lmao

Reactions: 4 users
yeah LOL i meant to initially write "well" below average- interpret that however you want. a couple points below the median MCAT for Stanford is probably fine.

What experiences illuminate the most significant difference between the prior and current education?

is this a typo? i assume they meant since the previous application not education?

Just got the MSTP rejection, 4 AM EST on the dot... Pretty much expected, but doesn't make it sting any less! Best of luck to everyone else :')
Completed 7/29, stats in signature

Last edited:
  • Care
Just got the MSTP rejection, 4 AM EST on the dot... Pretty much expected, but doesn't make it sting any less! Best of luck to everyone else :')
Completed 7/29, stats in signature
you will rock elsewhere chin up !

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Oh and also wanted to add, for any other MSTP applicants: my app is being automatically re-routed to MD admissions (but I'm not holding my breath haha)

Oh and also wanted to add, for any other MSTP applicants: my app is being automatically re-routed to MD admissions (but I'm not holding my breath haha)

Just wondering, did your status on your application portal change to under review or anything before you got the notification? / Did it change after? Thanks!

Just wondering, did your status on your application portal change to under review or anything before you got the notification? / Did it change after? Thanks!

No changes, both before and after; it still says "Your application is ready." The only thing that's changed is under communications, which is expected!

No changes, both before and after; it still says "Your application is ready." The only thing that's changed is under communications, which is expected!

Oh ok, good to know. Thanks and best of luck with the rest of your apps :)

If we said we planned on doing Knight Hennessy, will our MD applications only be considered once we submit that app as well? And on a related note, can we decide not to do K-H after the fact

If we said we planned on doing Knight Hennessy, will our MD applications only be considered once we submit that app as well?

Probably not because of their status as an independent program within the school (i.e. it will be reviewed the same way/time regardless of your answer to the K-H question), but curious to see what others may think.

And on a related note, can we decide not to do K-H after the fact

Not sure but independent programs so probably ok.

I got my secondary on 7/21 and it was in my junk folder...

Is there any point in submitting it this late? I've already typed it up and I feel like it's pretty decent

I got my secondary on 7/21 and it was in my junk folder...

Is there any point in submitting it this late? I've already typed it up and I feel like it's pretty decent

If money is not an issue, send away!

it'll probably a very long shot for me to get an II here but does anyone have any idea when they might send out II's?

Might be making this up but I believe I read something about Stanford (& some other schools) waiting a bit to review in order to give people the time to apply/catch up

Is anyone leaving the final optional question blank? If not, which direction are you taking to answer it? Not sure what's worthy enough to add beyond the diversity essay lol

"Please include anything else that will help us understand better how you may uniquely contribute to Stanford Medicine?"