2020-2021 Stanford

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does the MD-PSTP program refer to the Berg Scholars program? The secondary states that the MD-PSTP program is 5 years, but to my knowledge, Berg is 6.

"The MD-Physician Scientist Training Program (PSTP) is a five-year MD program designed for applicants considering long-term careers as physician scientists."

Members don't see this ad.

Does the MD-PSTP program refer to the Berg Scholars program? The secondary states that the MD-PSTP program is 5 years, but to my knowledge, Berg is 6.

"The MD-Physician Scientist Training Program (PSTP) is a five-year MD program designed for applicants considering long-term careers as physician scientists."

No, from my understanding you apply to the Berg Scholars program once you are a student.

However, I am having a hard time understanding what the difference is between a PSTP and an MD-only 5yr research intensive path (seen in discovery curriculum). Is the PSTP more selective? what does it offer that the other 5yr track doesn't?

No, from my understanding you apply to the Berg Scholars program once you are a student.

However, I am having a hard time understanding what the difference is between a PSTP and an MD-only 5yr research intensive path (seen in discovery curriculum). Is the PSTP more selective? what does it offer that the other 5yr track doesn't?

the MD-PSTP linked above is an umbrella program encompassing the various physician scientist pathways. I dont think its a distinct entity you apply to or anything like that. If it is, I've never heard of it being mentioned distinctly from the programs that make it up.

There are many ways to do a "5 year program" here. The one mentioned on the website is splitting the curriculum where you essentially do MS2 at "half-speed", freeing up 50% of your week in your new extended MS2 to do research, so 5 years total and 2 years of research at 50% effort, nominally (and extends your preclinical phase to 3 years). You apply to split after first year and propose a project / reason for doing so (like research or getting an extra degree). You could also do a more traditional research year between MS2 and 3 or between MS3 and 4.

Berg is a 6 yr path with funding from BWF, funded like the MSTP starting after year 3. Berg students are required to split (see above) as it currently stands.

The MSTP is the MD/PhD program, more or less self-explanatory.

Members don't see this ad :)
the MD-PSTP linked above is an umbrella program encompassing the various physician scientist pathways. I dont think its a distinct entity you apply to or anything like that. If it is, I've never heard of it being mentioned distinctly from the programs that make it up.

There are many ways to do a "5 year program" here. The one mentioned on the website is splitting the curriculum where you essentially do MS2 at "half-speed", freeing up 50% of your week in your new extended MS2 to do research, so 5 years total and 2 years of research at 50% effort, nominally (and extends your preclinical phase to 3 years). You apply to split after first year and propose a project / reason for doing so (like research or getting an extra degree). You could also do a more traditional research year between MS2 and 3 or between MS3 and 4.

Berg is a 6 yr path with funding from BWF, funded like the MSTP starting after year 3. Berg students are required to split (see above) as it currently stands.

The MSTP is the MD/PhD program, more or less self-explanatory.
Thank you for the explanation. I guess what I'm confused about is if you apply to split after you become a student, what's the reasoning behind indicating it on the secondary application? I could theoretically apply just MD and still split my curriculum later.

Also if we apply for pstp then how do we answer the Discovery Curriculum scholarly concentration question? Do you still have a scholarly concentration as a PSTP student? I know you don't do a scholarly concentration as a Berg scholar.

Thank you for the explanation. I guess what I'm confused about is if you apply to split after you become a student, what's the reasoning behind indicating it on the secondary application? I could theoretically apply just MD and still split my curriculum later.

Also if we apply for pstp then how do we answer the Discovery Curriculum scholarly concentration question? Do you still have a scholarly concentration as a PSTP student? I know you don't do a scholarly concentration as a Berg scholar.
People who split have a scholarly concentration. I'm still unsure what is meant by this PSTP option. If this is being offered as an option on the application, it's new for this year. Feel free to PM me with what this looks like

I am still confused by the PSTP thing. If you click MD-PSTP can you still get a regular MD acceptance? Also, does the 5-year curriculum cost more than the 4-year one?

I am still confused by the PSTP thing. If you click MD-PSTP can you still get a regular MD acceptance? Also, does the 5-year curriculum cost more than the 4-year one?
I checked with admissions and they said you still get considered for just MD. On their website they say you pay the same tuition and get the same aid as the 4yr curriculum.

I checked with admissions and they said you still get considered for just MD. On their website they say you pay the same tuition and get the same aid as the 4yr curriculum.
Were you able to get clarification re: the PSTP prompt and the Discovery curriculum prompt?

Were you able to get clarification re: the PSTP prompt and the Discovery curriculum prompt?
No I just assumed we have to respond generally without specifying the program in case we don't get into the pstp

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all - anyone having trouble logging into the portal? Every time I put in my AMCAS ID into the Username section, and submit (with the correct password, which I already reset again), it says "please enter a username."

try using a different browser! i had to switch from chrome to safari

does anyone know what you do as a Knight-Hennessy Scholar?? I feel like the description is quite vague

Does anyone know when II are normally sent out? I assume COVID is slowing everything down

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, I know that there have been several questions on this already, but for the PSTP program, do you still get considered as you would for a normal MD program on the regular timeline (ie. if they don't think you're a fit for the PSTP program, do they kick you to the MD program admissions process in October or do they consider you for plain MD concurrently?)

worth it to apply here with a 506 MCAT and 3.8 GPA if they aren't looking at MCAT scores to make interview decisions?

My understanding is that they look at MCAT scores if you have one?

They have stated differently,

"In fairness to all applicants, the MCAT will not be part of the screening and initial review process for interview decisions." unless i am too lost in the springtime of youth to be understanding this correctly

Reactions: 2 users

"In fairness to all applicants, the MCAT will not be part of the screening and initial review process for interview decisions." unless i am too lost in the springtime of youth to be understanding this correctly

Take their statement with a grain of salt

The important thing to consider if you have the experiences to qualify as those will also take on greater importance

I have mine now but I got a secondary on the 16th before my scores came out on the 21st.

I haven't taken the MCAT yet and won't have a score until the end of September. I got a secondary from Stanford on 7/21 and my application was marked complete after submitting it on 7/24.

Yesss very good!! Congrats to you both! How soon after your application was verified/sent did you get your secondary?? if you don’t mind me asking.
And same! my score won’t be out till September either but my app should be getting verified tomorrow So im anxious

Last edited:

Well.

I agree with you that it seems like MCAT will not factor into whether you get offered an II. However, I think the implication here is if you do have an MCAT, after the interview, they will look at that MCAT, and it will play into their decision regarding your application to some extent.

I was verified on 7/14 (so not in the first batch that was transmitted to schools on 7/10), and I got the secondary a week later on 7/21. Since you should be verified tomorrow, you'll likely be getting the secondary from Stanford soon as there isn't a screen. You might get it even quicker than I did, as I think there was a backlog at first with the initial applications. The secondary questions are posted earlier in the thread in case you want to pre-write in the meantime.

Oo okay cool! And Absolutely! I’m already done with it. Lol Thank for you help/advice !

I agree with you that it seems like MCAT will not factor into whether you get offered an II. However, I think the implication here is if you do have an MCAT, after the interview, they will look at that MCAT, and it will play into their decision regarding your application to some extent.

this was also my interpretation springtimeofyouth

Sorry, I know that there have been several questions on this already, but for the PSTP program, do you still get considered as you would for a normal MD program on the regular timeline (ie. if they don't think you're a fit for the PSTP program, do they kick you to the MD program admissions process in October or do they consider you for plain MD concurrently?)

You will be considered for both should you choose PSTP.

Not an official response but it is highly unlikely choosing PSTP will have any effect on your regular application.

Seriously don't stress so much over this choice y'all. Click the box and answer the questions if you're interested in the option. There really isn't a lot of game theory behind it like it might seem from your perspective right now, I promise.

Last edited:
For the Peer Review Publications section, does anyone know if it's appropriate to list peer-reviewed abstracts? (i.e., abstracts that were peer-reviewed and accepted for conference presentation/publication in a Journal's conference preceedings).

Or is this section only for manuscripts published in journals?

Edit: they allow entries without PubMedIDs, so I'm going to add peer-reviewed abstracts and will clearly note them by adding [Abstract] at the end of the title.

Should I tie my diversity essay back to Stanford specifically? Imo it's strong as it is and I'd be kind of sad to have to cut out a story or so to fit in a Stanford specific phrase

Should we add in our gap year plans for the anything else prompt? The way it's phrased kinda makes it seem like they want something really special that would add to Stanford, in which case I would leave it blank

Is there a "right" way to answer this? Should we waive or not waive?: As currently interpreted by the Department of Education, the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) provides that applicants that subsequently enroll will have a right to inspect and review a letter of recommendation and their MD application if it is retained by the university unless that right is waived in writing.

Is there a "right" way to answer this? Should we waive or not waive?: As currently interpreted by the Department of Education, the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) provides that applicants that subsequently enroll will have a right to inspect and review a letter of recommendation and their MD application if it is retained by the university unless that right is waived in writing.
There is a right way to answer that. Waive your rights to inspect your LORs. In other words, don't worry about ever seeing them. You just gotta let the school have them and assume they are stellar. I cannot remember the exact reasoning behind that, but that's what my university's pre-health advisor said to do and she hasn't led me astray yet.

Question: On the certification page of the secondary application, I accidentally checked the box to "opt-out" of sharing my information and picture in the privacy section. I did not mean to indicate this, should I email the contact to let them know of this error or leave it be?

Question: On the certification page of the secondary application, I accidentally checked the box to "opt-out" of sharing my information and picture in the privacy section. I did not mean to indicate this, should I email the contact to let them know of this error or leave it be?
oh crap I did the same ...

I saw this and then got worried because I didn't find a section to upload a picture? Did I miss something on the secondary and if so, could someone help? Lol thanks!

Reactions: 1 users
I saw this and then got worried because I didn't find a section to upload a picture? Did I miss something on the secondary and if so, could someone help? Lol thanks!
I think you only upload picture if you're going for an interview

The way the checkbox is formatted is just asking to be clicked...
Yup. It's like click the first three ACKNOWLEDGMENTS boxes, okay, okay, on a roll here... get down to PRIVACY... wait a second. :unsure:

Hey, does anyone know what's the difference between a"academic medicine (clinical)" and "non-academic clinical practice"?

Hey, does anyone know what's the difference between a"academic medicine (clinical)" and "non-academic clinical practice"?
The academic distinction pretty much refers to whether you're doing research.

Generally, academic medicine is either a physician-scientist or clinician who does research.

Sounds like you're private practice or non-academic medicine.

For this PSTP prompt:
Describe your most significant research experience. Include the rationale, results, and conclusions, and the role you played in each of these components. Please be very specific, including the dates and amount of time you were engaged. For publications or presentations that resulted or will result from this work, include a complete citation with the names of all authors and the status (e.g., submitted, in preparation).

Please limit your answer to 2,500 characters including spaces.

Does anyone know if the citations would count toward 2,500 characters. BEcause citations take up a lot of char!!

Which one would be for a pediatrician practicing in a hospital?

Both. The question is what hospital? There are many academic clinicians who don't participate in any research and are purely clinical. Generally academic physicians participate in a variety of activities in addition to clinical practice, or purely clinical practice. If you are faculty at an academic medical center, you are an academic, but that doesn't mean you do research, although many do. Academic medical centers are distinct from non academic centers in that they are involved in medical training; i.e. there are residents, fellows and/or med students who train at the same institution and clinical academic faculty may or may not interact with them / be involved in medical education / training.

Non-academic clinical practice generally means Private Practice. That said, the models of how physicians work are always changing and there are even "privademics" with private practices or industry roles/titles in addition to their academic appointments. Medicine is a small and big world at the same time.

Reactions: 2 users