2020-2021 Rush

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey. For those who have received the secondary, is there a place to upload additional documents? I lumped all my community service together on my primary and used “999” for the hours because I had no space left in activities (non trad so had to combine a lot of activities into single entries to fit my entire premed timeline) and also didn’t specify in the description. But seeing comments on this thread, I’m def going to need to break it down for this school. Wondering if you all think there’s a place to do this? app just got verified so wanna know before I add them on

There’s a spot where you can list each patient experience in detail and then an additional optional text box for it as well

Members don't see this ad.

Dang I'm applying because I have around that ballpark of service hours, but I didn't realize their healthcare exposure hours were that high... Maybe they only take people who work healthcare jobs beforehand to get that many hours :( got me rethinking my app too
I dropped the app because originally I only saw the 150 hour requirements and not the 1000+ averages. I don’t think I’m a competitive enough applicant in terms of the experience they look for, so for me it isn’t worth wasting $100.

Members don't see this ad :)
I dropped the app because originally I only saw the 150 hour requirements and not the 1000+ averages. I don’t think I’m a competitive enough applicant in terms of the experience they look for, so for me it isn’t worth wasting $100.
if that's true though, why isn't the community service section of the MSAR for Rush 100% ?

Reactions: 1 user
Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 1.53.04 PM.png

From their website. They are averages, not median. Anecdotes from last year's thread suggest that the school tends to like career changers from PA/Nursing/etc. Someone employed as a full time healthcare professional for 4 years would have over 8000 hours. A few of those types of candidates and the average is heavily skewed. That doesn't mean they won't accept students that are way below the average hours. It just means they want students that are prepared for the field and that care about community service. If you application speaks to that, I think it's worth a shot.

Reactions: 7 users
View attachment 315360

From their website. They are averages, not median. Anecdotes from last year's thread suggest that the school tends to like career changers from PA/Nursing/etc. Someone employed as a full time healthcare professional for 4 years would have over 8000 hours. A few of those types of candidates and the average is heavily skewed. That doesn't mean they won't accept students that are way below the average hours. It just means they want students that are prepared for the field and that care about community service. If you application speaks to that, I think it's worth a shot.
Would you know if we can double count it because I have some experiences that can fit both categories?

View attachment 315360

Yep, I definitely don't think this level of hours is a requirement for Rush. I'm just not sure how convincing my "service orientation" will seem if my hours will look so low in comparison to the non-trads they tend to accept. I'm also not in love with this school anyway and dislike the secondary questions haha but to anyone else still going for it, kudos and good luck!

How strict do you think they are on having only 3 individual letters? I’m non-trad, and I have 4 letters I’d like to submit: a committee letter, TFA supervisor (principal) letter, one science, and one non-science.

How strict do you think they are on having only 3 individual letters? I’m non-trad, and I have 4 letters I’d like to submit: a committee letter, TFA supervisor (principal) letter, one science, and one non-science.
I am not for sure. But, I am a non-trad too with 6 letter writers. I would have really liked to submit 4-5 of them, but I kept my letter packet to Rush at 3.

I would just submit 3 of your best. Many schools will otherwise pick and choose which 3 if you submit more.

Has anyone received a complete email? And if so, how long after submitting your secondary did you receive it?

Members don't see this ad :)
I did as well. Does anyone know if there will be a status change when you're under review?
I am not completely sure about Rush, but I would not count on it changing status. At another MD school's portal, my status still says "Your application is ready", which is what it said once my application was complete, and I have an II there. The status didn't change at all, I just got the e-mail to schedule an interview.

I am not completely sure about Rush, but I would not count on it changing status. At another MD school's portal, my status still says "Your application is ready", which is what it said once my application was complete, and I have an II there. The status didn't change at all, I just got the e-mail to schedule an interview.
I was under review for about a month last year. I start here in 3 weeks for medical school

Reactions: 2 users
yes for a 503 mcat

People, like myself, got it this year without the MCAT. There might be only a service hour screen or gpa screen this year — or who knows... maybe they looked for mission fit since it seems like ppl without mcat got it like a week after others who did have an MCAT w the same verification date

Do we know when Rush will start interviewing this cycle?

looking at last year’s interview tracker, it seems like the first one came on August 28th and most others came on August 30th.

this was pre-pandemic, too, so it might be later this year, if looking at other schools’ timelines are any indication

How long did it take for this school to send you a secondary? I have yet to receive one and I am begging to worry.

How long did it take for this school to send you a secondary? I have yet to receive one and I am begging to worry.

My app was transmitted on July 10th, and I got the secondary on July 22nd.

I'm majorly struggling with the prompt "What do you hope to gain from your Rush Medical College experience that will make you a better/different physician?"

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to approach this?

Last edited:
I'm majorly struggling with the prompt "What do you hope to gain from your Rush Medical College experience that will make you a better/different physician?" :(

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to approach this?
it's just a why us

got the pre-secondary R today - good luck everyone!!

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users
Just got my pre-secondary rejection this morning. Good luck to everyone who received secondaries though.

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Should I be expecting a pre-secondary R, too? My app was verified on 7/10 and I still have yet to receive one.

Just got the pre-secondary R! Good luck to all!

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Verified 8/31, OOS URM secondary received an hour after my primary verification. You think they really verified my service hours that quickly?

Verified 8/31, OOS URM secondary received an hour after my primary verification. You think they really verified my service hours that quickly?
I think it’s just an MCAT and GPA screen with the service hours impacting II and A

My school did not have the option for a committee letter, so I am trying to decide between submitting my letter packet or my three individual letters. Letter packet is three LOR's from professors (2 science 1 non-science) which talk primarily about academics. Three individual letters are from physicians who I have either extensively shadowed (+1000 hours over a few years) or who I've done research under. Suggestions on which I should submit? I know they are looking for some inclination to academic capability, but my three individual letters are much more focused on me as a person instead of the cookie cutter style letter you get from large university professors about academics.

My school did not have the option for a committee letter, so I am trying to decide between submitting my letter packet or my three individual letters. Letter packet is three LOR's from professors (2 science 1 non-science) which talk primarily about academics. Three individual letters are from physicians who I have either extensively shadowed (+1000 hours over a few years) or who I've done research under. Suggestions on which I should submit? I know they are looking for some inclination to academic capability, but my three individual letters are much more focused on me as a person instead of the cookie cutter style letter you get from large university professors about academics.

I recommend looking at the criteria for the three letters they want and see if your three letters fit into those. Rush weighs letters significantly more than other schools (from what I’ve heard from a seminar from the dean of admissions and what it says on their website). They also list in detail the kind of letters they want, so I think it might be best to follow those exactly.

hoping rush starts sending IIs this week! im so anxious lol

Reactions: 2 users
I think it’s just an MCAT and GPA screen with the service hours impacting II and A

based on all the pre-secondary rejections in this thread, I think it’s more complex than just an MCAT and GPA screen. I do think they prioritize URM when sending them tho bc the perspectives URM often bring typically align with Rush’s mission

based on all the pre-secondary rejections in this thread, I think it’s more complex than just an MCAT and GPA screen. I do think they prioritize URM when sending them tho bc the perspectives URM often bring typically align with Rush’s mission
I think someone contacted them and they said it was GPA and >=503

I think someone contacted them and they said it was GPA and >=503

Maybe that's the automatic screen, and if you don't meet it, they do a manual screen? I got my secondary 2 weeks from verification with no MCAT score.

There's 5 pre-secondary R's in here which is different than what I've seen in previous cycles' threads. Can anyone who got a pre-secondary R say if they met the proposed GPA and MCAT cutoff?

so is Rush taking into account MCAT this cycle? I know some schools are not

I don't meet their MCAT screen, but I received a secondary...I'm happy about it, but just a heads-up for others.

Any word on IIs for anyone?

since they started Aug 31st/Sept 1st last cycle, and the cycle started 2 weeks later this year cuz of COVID.... safe to assume IIs will start the week of the 14th?

Will not answering the optional question after healthcare activities questions negatively effect me? I am not sure what I can say tbh in just 1000 characters

Will not answering the optional question after healthcare activities questions negatively effect me? I am not sure what I can say tbh in just 1000 characters
Nah. If you think you have something that would add to your application then do it, but if not then don’t force it.

Not sure if this has already been covered. But, has anyone received an II yet? Want to see if they have gotten the ball rolling on these yet, in light of the comment above from @areyoumydaddy.

Not sure if this has already been covered. But, has anyone received an II yet? Want to see if they have gotten the ball rolling on these yet, in light of the comment above from @areyoumydaddy.

No IIs on my end yet. Nothing concrete on whether or not they started sending them out, but someone earlier speculated that since the cycle started 2 weeks later this year, it might be safe to assume that IIs will also be delayed 2 weeks. Last year IIs were apparently sent out August 31st/Sept 1st so hopefully, they'll start sending them out mid-September.