2020-2021 NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It was Pitt, which I didn’t care much about in all honesty.
The T20s despite thinking would have near identical criteria, have unpredictable results. I think Pitt might yield protect from the very high-stay apps.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
So now that we're all rejected (aka me haha), can someone tell me what type of applicants DO get into NYU? I'm most likely going to have to reapply next year seeing how my cycle is going despite decent stats/EC's (516, 3.75) and would love to know what it takes to get into top schools/how to improve my app.

So now that we're all rejected (aka me haha), can someone tell me what type of applicants DO get into NYU? I'm most likely going to have to reapply next year seeing how my cycle is going despite decent stats/EC's (516, 3.75) and would love to know what it takes to get into top schools/how to improve my app.
X-factors and things that are amazing (D1 athlete, publications, awards, significant leadership, significant life events) rather than common (hospital volunteering, club exec).

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately, a 516 and 3.75 with vanilla (note: "decent") EC's isn't a formula for success at top 20 schools, especially those that are stat-hungry like NYU/Penn/WashU/Northwestern/UChicago.

Even those with very high stats (3.9+, 521+) will not have an easy time getting in. Unless you have an extraordinary story or very unique/impactful ECs, I would say you have little to no chance at a stat-hungry school like NYU with that GPA/MCAT combo (unless maybe you are a URM? not sure how that affects things exactly).

The reality is that top schools will have their pick with applicants with near perfect GPA/MCAT who also have a compelling story/strong EC involvement (e.g. I was pre-II rejected with a 3.95/525, with 1000+ hrs of research/clinical exp, but an arguably vanilla story and no compelling hook depending on who you ask).

I would suggest you post your school list/ECs/stats in the WAMC sub-forum and adcoms/other members of community can provide input. NYU is a bit unrealistic in my opinion.

Reactions: 4 users
Unfortunately, a 516 and 3.75 with vanilla (note: "decent") EC's isn't a formula for success at top 20 schools, especially those that are stat-hungry like NYU/Penn/WashU/Northwestern/UChicago.

Even those with very high stats (3.9+, 521+) will not have an easy time getting in. Unless you have an extraordinary story or very unique/impactful ECs, I would say you have little to no chance at a stat-hungry school like NYU with that GPA/MCAT combo (unless maybe you are a URM? not sure how that affects things exactly).

The reality is that top schools will have their pick with applicants with near perfect GPA/MCAT who also have a compelling story/strong EC involvement (e.g. I was pre-II rejected with a 3.95/525, with 1000+ hrs of research/clinical exp, but an arguably vanilla story and no compelling hook depending on who you ask).

I would suggest you post your school list/ECs/stats in the WAMC sub-forum and adcoms/other members of community can provide input. NYU is a bit unrealistic in my opinion.
you know this is why I like SDN more than reddit. I went on reddit saying that my stats were mediocre and got shredded by people so now I've started to say I have decent stats even though for top schools it's not the best.

I guess, though we know that obviously X factor or compelling story/EC's is what these schools look for, what does that truly mean? I don't know many premeds so I'm just not sure what activities constitute as amazing vs just great

Reactions: 1 users
you know this is why I like SDN more than reddit. I went on reddit saying that my stats were mediocre and got shredded by people so now I've started to say I have decent stats even though for top schools it's not the best.

I guess, though we know that obviously X factor or compelling story/EC's is what these schools look for, what does that truly mean? I don't know many premeds so I'm just not sure what activities constitute as amazing vs just great
My post was more talking about you being less fit (still not impossible tho) for top schools *who like high stats*. You may be a candidate for other top schools that care less for stats.

IMO compelling is: research pubs, strong engagement in the community esp at a leadership level, or something that would add diversity to the class like a career change that you can spin into a convincing story or being a star athlete/artist etc.

No one knows exactly what T20 schools looks for, you may get II from Harvard but get rejected by other schools. Beyond stats and required ECs, you need very articulate essays and either stellar LORs or compelling experiences and even then you won't get interview from every T20.

Last edited:
Hey folks I got rejected a few days ago and saw this funny little number in their secondary portal today. Hope it amuses you as much as it did me. Best of luck to those still in it!

123.jpg

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 12 users
Hey MSTP folks, I don’t remember if it was posted before, but have there been holds and rejections for MSTPs?

Hey MSTP folks, I don’t remember if it was posted before, but have there been holds and rejections for MSTPs?
Interviewed back in September and haven't heard anything myself personally nor seen anything anywhere, whether in this thread or in the MSTP general stuff. I assume you are talking about post-interview action though, as there have been pre-interview MSTP rejections.

Interviewed back in September and haven't heard anything myself personally nor seen anything anywhere, whether in this thread or in the MSTP general stuff. I assume you are talking about post-interview action though, as there have been pre-interview MSTP rejections.
Yea, I meant post interview stuff...

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow NYU's class size is small you guys are golden children

does the 65 include the people they intend to accept off holds?
65 As given out so far, they plan to give around 100 by mid-Jan. An additional 30-40 As come from the waitlist afterwards

Does anyone remember if the MSTP students are included in the 100?

Has anyone with a post-interview hold from September/early October heard back about decisions yet? :)

Has anyone with a post-interview hold from September/early October heard back about decisions yet? :)
Nope. Nobody has reported getting accepted off a hold on this thread (though that doesn't necessarily mean people haven't been, just means they haven't posted about it).

Reactions: 3 users
I think they said they will accept holds by mid Jan in an email

I'd think so; not everyone can get waitlisted or accepted....(as someone who will probably be put on hold then rejected)

But you got this! Look at how far you have come! NYU is just one school considering you and your amazing potential!

• Care
I'd think so; not everyone can get waitlisted or accepted....(as someone who will probably be put on hold then rejected)

But you got this! Look at how far you have come! NYU is just one school considering you and your amazing potential!
Very true! I guess I meant immediately...i.e. the As that came on the same day as hold emails, but an R instead :unsure:

MSTP acceptance!!!!! :love: This is one of my top choices and I am beyond elated! I interviewed in early October and was notified today via email.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Congrats to those who got in today! I wonder if all mstp acceptances went out already...

Last edited:
late to the party because i just got a SDN account but i was complete 8/22, II on 9/1, interviewed in mid-september (i was so incredibly nervous and i wish i had interviewed later in the cycle honestly like after i had gone through MMIs at other schools and whatnot), and then i got a post-II hold on 10/13/20

good luck to you all!! if NYU isn't your dream school i honestly don't know what is 🥺😍

For MSTP folks, anyone know if NYU rejects post-interview applicants as soon as they make the decision or in like February?

I have a bit of a disappointing story about the general perception of NYU. I was speaking with a woman who took part in one of our research studies, and she asked what my plans are. I told her I was accepted to medical school. She asked where. I told her NYU, but I was waiting to hear back from some others before I decided where to go. She replied, “Oh, congratulations! I heard the SUNY medical schools are good - did you apply to those?”
I didnt think it was worth trying to explain that NYU was in another echelon, so I just told her that no, I did not apply to SUNYs. Nor did I tell her the schools I’m waiting to hear back from are Harvard/Cornell/Yale/Columbia, and that I might choose NYU over all of them...
I know this is the definition of a first world, privileged problem, and that clout with the general public is not a very meaningful metric, and I’m not trying to insult the SUNYs by any means, and I’m the reason people hate SDN, etc. But damn it, I’d be lying if I said it didn’t bother me a bit that NYU’s name carried very little significance, and I don’t know who else I could share this with, so I’m sharing it here. Any thoughts from the peanut gallery?
I totally get what you mean, even if it feels bad to admit it. I'm still on hold at NYU, but if I got in I'd also be choosing among those "top" echelon schools too, so I've definitely had those thoughts of "ooh could I choose NYU over Harvard/Penn, etc?" I've had that conversation with family an friends, and it always gets the same reaction - who would ever choose NYU over Harvard?? Like I do get it, and in some ways I have that in my head too, of like wow if you go to one of those schools everyone will have that reaction and it'll "carry significance." However, I try to remind myself that's only with people outside the medical field. Within it, sure people still think it's cool if you went to Harvard, but there will be no mistake of NYU for a less significant school. More importantly, if you go to NYU you'll likely end up in the same residency and fellowship as if you went to Harvard, and that's what people care about in the end.

Comedic finish: if you go to NYU, non-medical people certainly won't mistake your expensive fancy car for something lesser than, as opposed to that person who went to Harvard driving an old beater because they're still buried in debt. :bow:

• Haha
So I know NYU attracts top 5 med caliber students now, but are the opportunities presented by NYU also top 5 caliber? How’s the match list compared to UCSF or Harvard?

It takes time (and money) to buy your way to the top, and just because a school attracts the tippy top gunners won’t mean that the school itself is tippy top.

I totally get what you mean, even if it feels bad to admit it. I'm still on hold at NYU, but if I got in I'd also be choosing among those "top" echelon schools too, so I've definitely had those thoughts of "ooh could I choose NYU over Harvard/Penn, etc?" I've had that conversation with family an friends, and it always gets the same reaction - who would ever choose NYU over Harvard?? Like I do get it, and in some ways I have that in my head too, of like wow if you go to one of those schools everyone will have that reaction and it'll "carry significance." However, I try to remind myself that's only with people outside the medical field. Within it, sure people still think it's cool if you went to Harvard, but there will be no mistake of NYU for a less significant school. More importantly, if you go to NYU you'll likely end up in the same residency and fellowship as if you went to Harvard, and that's what people care about in the end.

Comedic finish: if you go to NYU, non-medical people certainly won't mistake your expensive fancy car for something lesser than, as opposed to that person who went to Harvard driving an old beater because they're still buried in debt. :bow:
I’m glad I’m not the only one with that thought in the back of their mind. You make a great point about money, though. I’m not a car guy, but I’d splurge in other ways haha.
So I know NYU attracts top 5 med caliber students now, but are the opportunities presented by NYU also top 5 caliber? How’s the match list compared to UCSF or Harvard?

It takes time (and money) to buy your way to the top, and just because a school attracts the tippy top gunners won’t mean that the school itself is tippy top.
The NYU match list is great, but it’s not Harvard level. (I didn’t apply to UCSF since I want to stay in the northeast, so I’m not familiar with it). Here are NYU and Harvard for reference:
https://meded.hms.harvard.edu/files/hms-med-ed/files/match_list_2020_final_updated.pdf

Of course it’s a bit hard to compare, because so many HMS grads stay at MGH, Beth Israel, or Brigham&Women’s. It’s also worth noting that if NYU maintains their trajectory, they very well could have a match list nearly as impressive as Harvard by the time we graduate.

Comedic finish: if you go to NYU, non-medical people certainly won't mistake your expensive fancy car for something lesser than, as opposed to that person who went to Harvard driving an old beater because they're still buried in debt.
Tell those people recommending Harvard, that your starting salary won’t be any different at the end of the journey, and you would gladly go there if they picked up the $250K difference.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone put on the hold list this fall heard back with an A or R?