2020-2021 Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MSUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for the feedback. I assumed my chances were slim, I’ll probably pass on this school. Good luck everyone!
Just wanted to provide a different perspective on this reply. OOS and international applicants are not reviewed in the same manner - so, I'm not sure how much weight the Canadian applicant rejected with a 513 MCAT really holds. Specifically, it is much harder to get into a US medical school (MD or DO) as an international student versus being an OOS applicant; I don't even think the stats are comparable. While your MCAT is below their median score, your GPA is adequate and if you have strong clinical/volunteer background you could definitely receive an II. That being said, MSU COM is a top DO program, clearly caters to in-state applicants, and is very expensive for OOS matriculants. In the end it is your decision, but I just wanted to give you another opinion about your potential application here.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
What did you like best and what made you wish you possibly picked elsewhere?

That's a good question. I think the best part was the amount of autonomy each student had. You were not forced to attend class. There wasn't a dress code. Lectures were recorded and posted online so people could watch from home. Lectures typically began at 8, but I would sleep in until 9 or so, or wake up and workout before watching lecture. This allowed me to watch the recorded lectures on faster speeds, so that was nice. There were also some really great professors who really seemed to advocate for us. It was nice to be a part of a large university and have the opportunity to attend sporting events and what not. East Lansing has expanded as a city over the years, so there are quite a few different restaurants/bars to check out.

Regarding the negatives.....our class came in at a weird time. We dealt with the fallout from the Nassar situation, so there was just a lot going on. There were some transparency concerns, but that had to do with the university as a whole and not necessarily MSUCOM. Entering MSUCOM, I was not a big fan of the Dean who is now gone. The new Dean is GREAT and is really working hard to change the culture. He taught our genetics class prior to becoming the new Dean and I was really impressed by him. I think he has the school moving in the right direction.

Each medical school will have its pros and cons. Some courses are better than others. We were a pretty close group at MSU, and everyone was always willing to help out. I didn't feel as though it was a very competitive environment. I found it to be a very supportive one in which other people genuinely wanted you to do well. People scored well on boards too, which of course is important! I'm sure I've complained plenty of times lol but at the end of the day, I had a very good experience. I've been in hospitals where I was told that people can see a difference in students who went to MSU (they meant it in a positive way.)

If you have any other questions, feel free to reach out!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Does anyone know for sure if you can apply to both MSUCHM and MSUCOM without penalty. I've applied to MSUCOM, but wondering if I should put in an app to MSUCHM as well. Yes, many have been accepted to both programs, but there were a few forums years back saying there was a rumor adcoms can see you have applied to both. Anyone know if there's validity to this? Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know for sure if you can apply to both MSUCHM and MSUCOM without penalty. I've applied to MSUCOM, but wondering if I should put in an app to MSUCHM as well. Yes, many have been accepted to both programs, but there were a few forums years back saying there was a rumor adcoms can see you have applied to both. Anyone know if there's validity to this? Thanks

Apply to both!

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone had issues submitting their app bc you didn't log out of the payment page?

Any interview invites yet? Completed my secondary and had it verified on 8/3, just didn't know how long to expect to wait to hear something back.

Completed secondary 7/30 and still no update :(

Completed secondary 7/30 and still no update :(

Any idea on when MSUCOM is planning on actually doing interviews (Aug/Sept)? Not sure if they've mentioned anything at an open house or something similar

Hey all, got a few questions to ask. I emailed the Admissions Office, but was told "we are not able to assist you with completing your application and ask that you complete your application to the best of your knowledge and choosing where your experiences best fit", so figured SDN is more helpful:

For the clinical experiences, did you:
1. Indicate the end date in the "description" word box? The portal only asks for a start date
2. For name of provider, did you also provide their name and email?

I know these details are already found on the primary AACOMAS, but what if different people read your app (i.e. John reads your primary AACOMAS and Sally reads your secondary application separately)?

Hey all, got a few questions to ask. I emailed the Admissions Office, but was told "we are not able to assist you with completing your application and ask that you complete your application to the best of your knowledge and choosing where your experiences best fit", so figured SDN is more helpful:

For the clinical experiences, did you:
1. Indicate the end date in the "description" word box? The portal only asks for a start date
2. For name of provider, did you also provide their name and email?

I know these details are already found on the primary AACOMAS, but what if different people read your app (i.e. John reads your primary AACOMAS and Sally reads your secondary application separately)?
1. I did not include an end date, as some things are still ongoing, but I did reference the hours applicable to the experience.
2. Only name, maybe location/hospital--I wouldn't give out their emails unless specifically asked. Contact information is relevant to the people providing your letters of recommendation, but not every single supervisor, etc. Those boxes were also available on the primary app on AACOMAS. The admissions people work as a team and review all your apps together. (From my experiences as an administrator at Touro's PA school, I know they see all the things from each applicant, ESPECIALLY prior to deciding who gets an interview and accepted!)

3. STOP OVERTHINKING! You're doin great! <3

Reactions: 1 users
1. I did not include an end date, as some things are still ongoing, but I did reference the hours applicable to the experience.
2. Only name, maybe location/hospital--I wouldn't give out their emails unless specifically asked. Contact information is relevant to the people providing your letters of recommendation, but not every single supervisor, etc. Those boxes were also available on the primary app on AACOMAS. The admissions people work as a team and review all your apps together. (From my experiences as an administrator at Touro's PA school, I know they see all the things from each applicant, ESPECIALLY prior to deciding who gets an interview and accepted!)

3. STOP OVERTHINKING! You're doin great! <3

Thank you very much :)

• Care
Just got the II Secondary email from MSUCOM. Then I saw this:

"Please note that your application submission deadline is September 30, 2020."

On their application portal, it says "Application Deadline: Tuesday, December 1, 2020 11:59 PM"

What gives? Obviously I want to get my II in ASAP, but would still be nice to know which is the deadline since I have a September MCAT retake and a professor that is already going to be late with a LOR.

Last edited:
Just got the II email from MSUCOM. Then I saw this:

"Please note that your application submission deadline is September 30, 2020."

On their application portal, it says "Application Deadline: Tuesday, December 1, 2020 11:59 PM"

What gives? Obviously I want to get my II in ASAP, but would still be nice to know which is the deadline since I have a September MCAT retake and a professor that is already going to be late with a LOR.

II as in interview invite or II as in secondary?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, my bad! I meant just the secondary.
Submit your secondary!! I submitted mine and still don't have an official MCAT score. Schools are aware that scores will be off the normal schedule (Hello, like there's a pandemic?!!) so a few schools have already responded to my secondary like hey, we got it, you're goin in this other pile until we see your MCAT score though! MSUCOM sent an email that said they confirmed my submission of the secondary but that it doesn't guarantee that my app is complete. I don't think it hurts to send it in, the sooner the better-right? It shows you're interested. If you're still concerned, just email/call and ask. Let us know what they recommend!

Submit your secondary!! I submitted mine and still don't have an official MCAT score. Schools are aware that scores will be off the normal schedule (Hello, like there's a pandemic?!!) so a few schools have already responded to my secondary like hey, we got it, you're goin in this other pile until we see your MCAT score though! MSUCOM sent an email that said they confirmed my submission of the secondary but that it doesn't guarantee that my app is complete. I don't think it hurts to send it in, the sooner the better-right? It shows you're interested. If you're still concerned, just email/call and ask. Let us know what they recommend!

I would, however...

I don't have all of my letters in yet.

They have my old MCAT score which is nothing stellar. I'd prefer them to evaluate me by the new score (assuming I can in fact raise it). Since there is a score already reported, there's nothing stopping them from prematurely tossing out my application. Is that a valid concern or am I being paranoid?

@Stubbzy Call & ask them!! It doesn't hurt to ask the admissions team their advice. Breath. Your concerns are valid, it's understandable why we get so worked up over this. It's our future that we're worried about. But stay present--living in the future means you forget to experience the now and that journey is what gets us up everyday and gives us the reason to keep going. Something my yoga teacher was impressing on me when I shared similar concerns.

I would, however...

They have my old MCAT score which is nothing stellar. I'd prefer them to evaluate me by the new score (assuming I can in fact raise it). Since there is a score already reported, there's nothing stopping them from prematurely tossing out my application. Is that a valid concern or am I being paranoid?
I’m also concerned about my MCAT score because I’m retaking in September and would like to not be evaluated until the new score comes, but my “due date” for my application is August 30th. I might email them tomorrow!

I would, however...

just call their office or email, super nice staff. If i recall I've been told they will look at your application as complete if you have mcat score and go forward and not wait (while updating should new scores come in). BUT this could be outdated. So definitely give them a holler.

edit: I would say it's better to be complete and chance it waiting on the MCAT, than miss a hard deadline set by a school....by a lot.

Last edited:
Current M1 here, lemme know if you guys have any questions! I can't even imagine applying during the pandemic with online interviews, but good luck to you all!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
How out of state friendly is this school? I saw they cut the oos price by 20k so was thinking it may be worth a shot.

• Hmm
I am an international student and have stats of 3.91/518. I have around 300 hours of volunteering experience in hospitals and over 4000 hours of research experience. Does anyone know how likely I can get into this school?

Any idea on when MSUCOM is planning on actually doing interviews (Aug/Sept)? Not sure if they've mentioned anything at an open house or something similar

I haven't heard a word. My application status says everything is good to go but the lack of communication is making me a little worried. May contact admissions so I'll let you know if that gives me any info

Reactions: 3 users
Is anyone applying to their DO-PhD program? If so, how are you applying to the grad part of it? They require the GRE and I'm not sure how to get that waived and substituted with my MCAT.

Midwest OOS URM applicant, 502 MCAT, 3.5 GPA. It's been over 2 weeks since I've gotten their secondary and after reading this thread it doesn't look like they're very OOS friendly. Should I just cut my losses?

I am an international student and have stats of 3.91/518. I have around 300 hours of volunteering experience in hospitals and over 4000 hours of research experience. Does anyone know how likely I can get into this school?
I'm international too. Honestly, you don't have to worry. You'll probably get in MD if you apply broadly.

Are you receiving any sort of reimbursement for costs? It feels weird doing an online medical school.
I have a friend teaching anatomy at NYIT COM and he's supervising small-group in-person cadaver work. They just cut down on the number of students. But it's not like they weren't wearing masks to begin with, you know!

Hey you guys! I have a quick question in regards to the clinical experiences and shadowing section. It has it structured as if it is only looking for shadowing experiences. For those of you who did put in working clinical experiences, what did you put in the provider section? I have worked in many clinical settings but in all of those experiences, I have worked with many providers, MD, DO, PA, NP, etc. How do I then put in my experiences and account for the many different providers I worked alongside? Thanks for your help in advance, I appreciate it! :)

Woke up to the secondary this morning. I'm an OOS but have ties to the university via having completed two master's degrees out of MSUCOM and ties to the state through marriage. What the hell, I'm going to submit and let the chips fall where they may. 3.54 undergrad science GPA and 3.76 overall. Took the MCAT in 2010 and scored a 29 S; obviously have to retake and I'm scheduled for September 28th...

Got a couple of questions!
  1. What are y'all using for your profile photo? I know in past years people used to say put a passport photo, but it feels like that's kind of hard to do these days.
  2. What types of experiences did y'all put under clinical experiences? It says shadowing, but I was wondering if anything else was viable for that. Also, how did your descriptions for these experiences differ from what you put for them on AACOMAS?

1. What are y'all using for your profile photo? I know in past years people used to say put a passport photo, but it feels like that's kind of hard to do these days.
  2. What types of experiences did y'all put under clinical experiences? It says shadowing, but I was wondering if anything else was viable for that. Also, how did your descriptions for these experiences differ from what you put for them on AACOMAS?
I think I'm going to try and take a headshot of myself against a plain background! I have no better alternatives lol

1. Photos on applications are *normally* used to identify the person and make sure they're the same as who comes in for the interview. Now I'm guessing it's just to put a face to a name, but still might be helpful identification for zoom interviews. It's best to choose a photo that appears professional. Take one against a blank-ish background (not too brightly colored or patterned or with knick-knacks), NOT a selfie--have someone take multiple shots of you, and then crop it to a 2x2" square. Avoid photos taken in outdoor settings or group shots where it is difficult to identify yourself. It does not need to be a studio photo, but it should look appropriate. In other words, dress like you would for the interview and look your best!
2. I put ALL my clinical experience--shadowing, clinical volunteering, working as an EMT and ER Technician. Anything clinical--throw it on there. I used very similar if not copy/pasted my experience descriptions from the primary AACOMAS app.

I also wanted to know has anyone received an II / What is the timeline for them to go out typically?

1. Photos on applications are *normally* used to identify the person and make sure they're the same as who comes in for the interview. Now I'm guessing it's just to put a face to a name, but still might be helpful identification for zoom interviews. It's best to choose a photo that appears professional. Take one against a blank-ish background (not too brightly colored or patterned or with knick-knacks), NOT a selfie--have someone take multiple shots of you, and then crop it to a 2x2" square. Avoid photos taken in outdoor settings or group shots where it is difficult to identify yourself. It does not need to be a studio photo, but it should look appropriate. In other words, dress like you would for the interview and look your best!
2. I put ALL my clinical experience--shadowing, clinical volunteering, working as an EMT and ER Technician. Anything clinical--throw it on there. I used very similar if not copy/pasted my experience descriptions from the primary AACOMAS app.

Thanks for the advice! In regards to #2, do you think they wouldn't look fondly upon the clinical experiences just being copy and pasted from AACOMAS?

Thanks for the advice! In regards to #2, do you think they wouldn't look fondly upon the clinical experiences just being copy and pasted from AACOMAS?
You're welcome. And honestly, if they didn't want the same answers, then they shouldn't ask for things that are on the primary application already -_- I can't tell you how much time it's taken me to fill out the same damn things on secondaries that are already on the AACOMAS app! Truthfully, I wonder if the "centralized application" system of AACOMAS was created AFTER schools already had their own individual application websites. And thus, never changed their own apps to reflect what the new/centralized system contained. I don't really know if the chicken or the egg came first in this instance though, so it's just grumbly musings.. You can always email them and ask! Let us know what they say, if so!

Sorry if this has been answered already but did anyone upload a document in the document tab? It's separate from the application tab so I wasn't sure if they stated something and I missed it or it's used as a optional place to upload resume/CV?

Sorry if this has been answered already but did anyone upload a document in the document tab? It's separate from the application tab so I wasn't sure if they stated something and I missed it or it's used as a optional place to upload resume/CV?

I don't see why you would upload a resume/CV since similar information should already be found in your primary AACOMAS application :)

Reactions: 1 users
I don't see why you would upload a resume/CV since similar information should already be found in your primary AACOMAS application :)
Very true! I'm definitely overthinking. Thank you for replying :)

Woke up to the secondary this morning. I'm an OOS but have ties to the university via having completed two master's degrees out of MSUCOM and ties to the state through marriage. What the hell, I'm going to submit and let the chips fall where they may. 3.54 undergrad science GPA and 3.76 overall. Took the MCAT in 2010 and scored a 29 S; obviously have to retake and I'm scheduled for September 28th...

Thanks for sharing your stats! What does 29 S mean?

DAH! I paid my fee and accidentally clicked out of the browser nooooooooooo. Guess I'll have to wait until monday to call and submit.

PS I had an ii last cycle, attended in february but was rejected so I'm a reapplicant. Just wanted to say that the admissions board is incredibly nice and the MMI was actually pretty fun to do! I hope the virtual format will be equally relaxed!

Does anyone know what the attachment site on the secondary is for?
It'll be for a new semester of grades or any additional information that the school might request!

DAH! I paid my fee and accidentally clicked out of the browser nooooooooooo. Guess I'll have to wait until monday to call and submit.

PS I had an ii last cycle, attended in february but was rejected so I'm a reapplicant. Just wanted to say that the admissions board is incredibly nice and the MMI was actually pretty fun to do! I hope the virtual format will be equally relaxed!

What are your stats?

What are your stats?
My undergrad cGPA was awful due to significant health ailments, PM if you want it cause me = embarrassed.
Otherwise, my last cycle stats --> grad cGPA 3.6 and MCAT was 510 and 509 (admissions board said my academics weren't the issue btw)
This cycle grad cGPA is 3.7 and MCAT 516.

Is there a chance with a higher mcat that out of state applicants will have more or a shot?