2020-2021 Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MSUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
they must just either really like you or not like me :lol:
LOL I'm hoping they get to you soon!! Have they received your transcript? I think the only thing that can be pending are your rec letters; everything else needs to be complete (I may be wrong)

LOL I'm hoping they get to you soon!! Have they received your transcript? I think the only thing that can be pending are your rec letters; everything else needs to be complete (I may be wrong)

Yes! All my letters and transcripts have been in since the beginning! So much for being early :')

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi friends! This may not be the right place to post this but this group seems to have active and friendly people (hopefully we can all be classmates next year)!

I am wondering how long it took to get verified by AACOMAS after submitting your application? I had met with an MSU COM prior to submitting who suggested I submit asap. When can I expect my application to get verified? Thank you!!
Hmm, mine took 6 days. You might want to reach out to them?

Reactions: 1 user
Still no secondary here. Glad i'm not alone.

I submitted 5/5 and was verified 5/13, no secondaries but I’m OOS so maybe that’s why.

Thanks for your response! Two days is surprising! Is it usually that quick for everyone?

I'm nearly 2 months out for AMCAS and yet to be verified.
Hi there!!! I submitted mine pretty much as soon as it opened up to send primaries back in May; mine was verified within 24 hours. MSU has been quiet though so I would not worry!
Best of luck to you, friend!!! :)

Hi there!!! I submitted mine pretty much as soon as it opened up to send primaries back in May; mine was verified within 24 hours. MSU has been quiet though so I would not worry!
Best of luck to you, friend!!! :)

Thanks so much!!! Best of luck to you too!!

I was also verified in 24 hours! I hope MSU COM gets back to us soon as MSU COM is my top choice!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am on the no secondary train too friends. Also, Hello Voppp. You appear to be applying to the same schools I am, lol

I am on the no secondary train too friends. Also, Hello Voppp. You appear to be applying to the same schools I am, lol
Hello! I applied to almost all the DO schools ahahah, any one of ya might be future classmates

Reactions: 1 users
Just emailed MSUCOMs admissions office and got a response seconds later.

"Thank you for your email. We are completing the final administrative processes to activate the secondary application process. I do not have a date, but stay tuned, it should be very soon."

Reactions: 10 users
Did anyone else not realize MSU COM is taking CASPer scores this year? I swear I didn't see it on the list of schools to send my scores to when I initially signed up for the test...maybe I just missed it though. I just went onto CASPer to make sure my score got distributed to all my schools, and saw MSU COM as an option. After doing a brief Google search, I don't think that it was a requirement for admissions last year, and I don't see anything about it on their admissions page currently. Anyway, just wanted to share with you all in case you want to send your scores there.

Reactions: 2 users
Did anyone else not realize MSU COM is taking CASPer scores this year? I swear I didn't see it on the list of schools to send my scores to when I initially signed up for the test...maybe I just missed it though. I just went onto CASPer to make sure my score got distributed to all my schools, and saw MSU COM as an option. After doing a brief Google search, I don't think that it was a requirement for admissions last year, and I don't see anything about it on their admissions page currently. Anyway, just wanted to share with you all in case you want to send your scores there.

are we able to take the Casper still? I haven’t taken it. :/

I am applying to MSUCOM this cycle and was hoping for some clarification on prerequisites and Casper. The MSUCOM and ChooseDO explorer sites seem to have different guidelines. Must I take 8 semester hours of organic chemistry? Or could I just follow the guidelines listed on the MSUCOM site. For example, I have taken 3 general chemistry courses, 1 biochemistry course and will take 1 organic chemistry course, exceeding 16 credit hours of chemistry. Is this sufficient?

Also, is Casper required this cycle? It is not listed on either site but is on the recipient list on takecasper.com.

The MSUCOM site lists:
A baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university or exemplary performance in a minimum of 90 semester hours of coursework including:
  • Biology: 8 semester credit hours.
  • Chemistry*: Total of 16 semester credit hours. Must include a minimum of 3 semester credit hours of biochemistry.
  • English**: 6 semester credit hours.
The ChooseDO Explorer lists:

Science Courses Required:
  • Biology/Zoology, 8 semester hours
  • Organic Chemistry, 8 semester hours
  • Inorganic Chemistry, 8 semester hours
  • Biochemistry, 3 semester hours
Non-Science CoursesRequired:
  • College English, 6 semester hours

I am applying to MSUCOM this cycle and was hoping for some clarification on prerequisites and Casper. The MSUCOM and ChooseDO explorer sites seem to have different guidelines. Must I take 8 semester hours of organic chemistry? Or could I just follow the guidelines listed on the MSUCOM site. For example, I have taken 3 general chemistry courses, 1 biochemistry course and will take 1 organic chemistry course, exceeding 16 credit hours of chemistry. Is this sufficient?

Also, is Casper required this cycle? It is not listed on either site but is on the recipient list on takecasper.com.

The MSUCOM site lists:
A baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university or exemplary performance in a minimum of 90 semester hours of coursework including:
  • Biology: 8 semester credit hours.
  • Chemistry*: Total of 16 semester credit hours. Must include a minimum of 3 semester credit hours of biochemistry.
  • English**: 6 semester credit hours.
The ChooseDO Explorer lists:

Science Courses Required:
  • Biology/Zoology, 8 semester hours
  • Organic Chemistry, 8 semester hours
  • Inorganic Chemistry, 8 semester hours
  • Biochemistry, 3 semester hours
Non-Science CoursesRequired:
  • College English, 6 semester hours

I noticed that too. I would personally follow the MSU COM site. I'd trust a site that is being run by the actual institution over a third party site. But if you really wanted to make sure, you can always email MSU COM :)

I noticed that too. I would personally follow the MSU COM site. I'd trust a site that is being run by the actual institution over a third party site. But if you really wanted to make sure, you can always email MSU COM :)
Thanks I have emailed and will update with a response

If you already took the exam, you can still send it to them.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone! Does anyone know if MSU has a minimum MCAT score requirement? Tried to look on their website but couldn’t find it.

I don't think so. But, they do state that average MCAT score of matriculants are 505 to 507. You might know this already, but in case you didn't :)

Also heads up that their allopathic school changed ALL of their secondary essays COMPLETELY, so if you prewrote osteopathic, pencil in time to re-write once we start getting the secondary because they may be different.
I am new to SDN. How do I get that colorful MD/DO progress stuff at the bottom of my comments?

Lol never mind, just got the secondary as well! OOS

Haha, I'm still waiting. Can someone post the prompts?

Wooo!! I’m oos and was verified 5/13 so who knows what took them so dang long

I'm new to this so I'm not sure how it works. Are secondaries released in the order of those verified or is it released all at once to people who have already been verified by the time the school got around to it?

Make sure to check your spam/junk mail. I found my secondary invitation there.

1. Why are you interested in osteopathic medicine and why are you applying to the Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine?

2. Other than healthcare access, what are some of the most important health care issues confronting underserved communities? How would you address them?

3. Briefly describe a situation where you were not in the majority. What did you learn from this experience?

@PapaGuava

Reactions: 3 users