2020-2021 Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MSUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm mad the propmpts changed, because I prewrote some great essays

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
1. Why are you interested in osteopathic medicine and why are you applying to the Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine?

2. Other than healthcare access, what are some of the most important health care issues confronting underserved communities? How would you address them?

3. Briefly describe a situation where you were not in the majority. What did you learn from this experience?

@PapaGuava
What are the word counts? I need to open my email but I’m lazy

Members don't see this ad :)
Any tips for answering the not in the majority essay? Having a tough time thinking about that. ORM as a science major, and ORM in pretty much all medical settings..

Any tips for answering the not in the majority essay? Having a tough time thinking about that. ORM as a science major, and ORM in pretty much all medical settings..

I’m answering with something a little more non traditional. You can think of maybe in your family, in a work setting, in a friend group

I would say maybe if you had a time where you had a difference in opinion from everyone else.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank goodness I've written so many secondaries that I can just piecemeal this thing together.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Do they screen applicants or does everyone get a secondary ?
No screen
bottom of the secondary email says

*All candidates with a verified AACOMAS application applying to the MSUCOM DO program will receive an invitation to complete the supplemental application. Receipt of an invitation to complete the supplemental application does not guarantee applicant competitiveness nor guarantee admission. Each applicant should review information found on our website and determine if they desire to complete and submit the supplemental application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you guys writing new descriptions for your shadowing/clinical experiences or are you copying your blurbs from your primary app?? Thanks!

Just submitted my AACOMAS application today. Anyone verified recently who can let me know how long it took for them to get verified?

Also is your AAMCOMAS gpa typically higher than your AMCAS gpa?

Are you guys writing new descriptions for your shadowing/clinical experiences or are you copying your blurbs from your primary app?? Thanks!

Nah I'm gonna probably use my primary app ones. Maybe use the ones I did for KCOM bc they're a little different

Just submitted my AACOMAS application today. Anyone verified recently who can let me know how long it took for them to get verified?

my app was verified in 3 days. I submitted on 7/21 and was verified on 7/24

Got the secondary earlier this morning, really excited about applying to MSU!

Is anyone else having issues making their account to log in?

Received secondary this morning! Was verified 5/26. And yes having issues making an account. I made the new password but not sure what my username is. Tried everything I think it could be but still doesn't work :(

Received secondary this morning! Was verified 5/26. And yes having issues making an account. I made the new password but not sure what my username is. Tried everything I think it could be but still doesn't work :(

I thought the username was supposed to be the CAS ID-- I'm having trouble because I'm not receiving the email to create a PW

So do they need casper score now?? I got my secondary withiut sending the casper

I thought the username was supposed to be the CAS ID-- I'm having trouble because I'm not receiving the email to create a PW
Yes you're right its the AACOMAS ID! Thank you very much. The first link in the secondary email is to create the password. Once you create that then you follow the second link in the email to actually access the secondary

MSU didn't show up on the CASPer list when I checked last week so the requirement must have been added this past week. I just updated my score list and added MSU to the list!

Is the "clinical experiences" section only for shadowing? The directions make it sound like I should list EMT-ing there, but when I fill out the actual drop down it's set up only for shadowing.

Haha, I'm still waiting. Can someone post the prompts?
Why are you interested in osteopathic medicine and why are you applying to the Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine?

Other than healthcare access, what are some of the most important health care issues confronting underserved communities? How would you address them?

Briefly describe a situation where you were not in the majority. What did you learn from this experience?

Please tell us how you learned about the osteopathic profession by checking all of the following selections that apply:
Have been a patient of a DO
Referred by pre-medical advisor
Visited an osteopathic college
Health Occupations Students of America (HOSA)
Met with a MSUCOM Admissions Counselor
Participated in a premedical osteopathic interest group
Attended a presentation about osteopathic medicine
Read about or reviewed website(s) regarding osteopathic medicine
Attended a MSUCOM presentation
Worked, shadowed, or volunteered with/for a DO
Family member is a D.O.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
You may provide additional information, not previously stated, you feel may help the Admissions Committee gain a better understanding of your candidacy. This may include major life achievements or explanations of academic or non-academic discrepancies on your application. You may also include hobbies, interests, or work experience.

...amongst some other smaller things; but this is the essay portion :)

Reactions: 1 users
Dumb question, but by healthcare access, do you think they mean something along the lines of inability to pay or inability to get to the hospital?

Dumb question, but by healthcare access, do you think they mean something along the lines of inability to pay or inability to get to the hospital?

pretty sure they mean anything but the literal current physician crisis

Not a dumb question. Both, inability to pay, lack of insurance, and lack of physical healthcare facilities or healthcare providers (low physician to population ratio). Not just hospitals, but lack for emergency personnel to reach you quickly, and lack of primary doctor offices.

2. Other than healthcare access, what are some of the most important health care issues confronting underserved communities? How would you address them?

@PapaGuava

I've been answering this question as if it was asking about rural areas, but its not limited to rural medicine right?

The status page shows letters of recommendation as received. How do we go about selecting which ones they evaluate? I uploaded like 5 to aacomas, but didn't specify anywhere on my secondary which 9nes I want them to review.

I've been answering this question as if it was asking about rural areas, but its not limited to rural medicine right?
It does not. You can have lack of access and underserved communities in Urban areas. But you can certainly approach it from a rural standpoint if that is your angle!

I'm definitely over thinking/reading too much into this, but for the 3rd question "describe a situation when you weren't in the majority", do you think there's a specific direction they're looking into? I just feel like there are sooooo many different directions I could take this and i have no idea how to "narrow" it down. Like would it make sense if i talk about a sacrifice in my life for the best of others since i wasn't in the "majority" at that time?

Did you receive a secondary already? I just submitted mine last week wasn't sure what the turn around time is.

Did you receive a secondary already? I just submitted mine last week wasn't sure what the turn around time is.
No I haven't received my secondary! I just submitted it yesterday and have not been verified yet. I think when we get verified MSU will send over the secondary, but not before.

I thought it didn't take AACOMAS that long to verify. If you arent verified by the end of this week I would email or call them on Monday to see how much longer it would be.

hi! my AACOMAS gpa was indeed higher than my AMCAS gpa! also I submitted my AACOMAS on June 24 and was verified by July 1! :)

Current OMS 1 here to answer any questions that I can for anyone! :) Feel free to reach out to me and I will try to answer as quickly as possible! Good luck everyone!

Current OMS 1 here to answer any questions that I can for anyone! :) Feel free to reach out to me and I will try to answer as quickly as possible! Good luck everyone!
Which campus are you in? And how's the living condition over there, like rent safety, etc?
Thanks

How's online classes going so far?