2020-2021 Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MSUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I’m lucky enough to live only 10 minutes away from the macomb campus. My heart goes out to all of us that are going to have to figure out how to secure a loan, get all settled into the MSU atmosphere, AND find a place to live in a month.
Tier 1 WL here, I live in Texas. If accepted I will attend here but I am NOT looking forward to the scramble up north if it comes to that. what a nightmare lol.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Tier 1 WL here, I live in Texas. If accepted I will attend here but I am NOT looking forward to the scramble up north if it comes to that. what a nightmare lol.
I feel you. If you're accepted and you end up going to the Macomb campus, feel free to PM me. I can provide some recommendations on apartments/condos in the area to hopefully make the scramble a little less stressful.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Man god bless all of us getting off WL and leaving within a month lmao this med school cycle is awful
Yeah it’s definitely going to suck having to do everything in less than a month IF I get in. I went to MSU for undergrad so thankfully, I know my way around EL and which apartments to potentially live in. I’m just hoping I actually get in lol

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m lucky enough to live only 10 minutes away from the macomb campus. My heart goes out to all of us that are going to have to figure out how to secure a loan, get all settled into the MSU atmosphere, AND find a place to live in a month.
I’m from California So I’m a little bit stressed waiting for this haha

• Care
It wouldn't make sense, in my opinion, since MSUCOM's T3 WL is uncapped (I think). The overall size of the WL could be expanded, but I don't think that MSUCOM would expand the size of each tier since it would just defeat the purpose of the tier system. I hope this makes sense.

Any reference to T3 being uncapped? I thought each tier was about 100 folks.

I’m sure we’ll see some movement over the next few weeks but majority of the WL movement will happen in Mid May IMO. Then again I’m T3 WL so I don’t have high expectations rn😅

T3 here too, hang in there, send in as much updates as you can and here's to hoping if they get to T3, we're considered among it.

• Care

T3 here too, hang in there, send in as much updates as you can and here's to hoping if they get to T3, we're considered among it.
I’ve heard of some people getting offers in T3 but idk the exact number or percentage. I hope we get offers. This will literally be the most clutch thing to happen to me if we do😂 just getting an II for MSUCOM made me the happiest I’ve been in a while

• Care
I’ve heard of some people getting offers in T3 but idk the exact number or percentage. I hope we get offers. This will literally be the most clutch thing to happen to me if we do😂 just getting an II for MSUCOM made me the happiest I’ve been in a while
Also, I’ve already sent an LOI right before I got my decision🤕 I don’t plan to do anything new in the next couple months and if anything I actually plan to put my two weeks soon to relax and enjoy the break

Reactions: 1 user

I could’ve sworn I saw something on a previous thread about it; I could be, and probably am, totally wrong. I know for a fact, though, that if they didn’t change the amount of people in each tier, it is 100. However, I do agree that throwing everything at MSUCOM can increase chances. I just sent in a LOI, so I don’t have much of an update that I’ll be able to provide besides my Winter semester grades once those are available.

Anyone else feels torn between waiting and submitting a new app on 5/3? 😔
Yup! I think I might start slowly picking away at it until either I get an R from every school or I get an A. They don't release the primary to the schools until later in the summer, anyway!

Yup! I think I might start slowly picking away at it until either I get an R from every school or I get an A. They don't release the primary to the schools until later in the summer, anyway!
Wait so the schools won’t get your aacomas app even when it verifies? I know AMCAs has a certain day in June that releases apps but not sure about aacomas

Wait so the schools won’t get your aacomas app even when it verifies? I know AMCAs has a certain day in June that releases apps but not sure about aacomas
I believe so; I could’ve sworn it was like 6/15. I know for a fact that you can’t even submit the primary until 6/1.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all! I am providing an update to MSU, and I was wondering if it would be okay to include an update about an art business that I started in January? I absolutely love painting and it is a core hobby of mine, so I started this and many people bought portraits from me! I would love to showcase the 'non-academic' side to me... but this may be risky? Should I include photos of my work? Link to my instagram, ahaha?!

Just based off this thread it rly doesn't seem like a lot of students have gotten As so far, so i want to hope theres alot of WL movement?

Hi all! I am providing an update to MSU, and I was wondering if it would be okay to include an update about an art business that I started in January? I absolutely love painting and it is a core hobby of mine, so I started this and many people bought portraits from me! I would love to showcase the 'non-academic' side to me... but this may be risky? Should I include photos of my work? Link to my instagram, ahaha?!
I would include it. :) I'm not sure if I would include photos or link to Insta though.

Maybe they pre-emptily expected the “Fauci-effect” and thought they were going to have a lot of applications- therefore limited As and gave a lot of WL, or maybe, there year just happens to have a lot more people on the WL commenting on the forum than previous years. I’m losing it though because I’ve been on tier 1 since December.

• Care
Maybe they pre-emptily expected the “Fauci-effect” and thought they were going to have a lot of applications- therefore limited As and gave a lot of WL, or maybe, there year just happens to have a lot more people on the WL commenting on the forum than previous years. I’m losing it though because I’ve been on tier 1 since December.
I wouldn't lose it, it appears the WL movement has yet to start.

I empathize with you. Even though you're in a pretty comfortable position and you knew that WL movement wouldn't start until toward the end, that tiny spark of doubt starts turning into a wildfire; I can't even begin to imagine how it would feel to be on the WL for as long as you have. Stay strong, my friend!!

Also, I think both hypotheses are correct. In regard to the forum, it seems that the amount of people on here has increased as this site has gained traction. Even looking at the amount of pages in this year's forum vs. last year's, it's about double as long. With more people on the forum, it's bound to look like there're more WL decisions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Anyone else feels torn between waiting and submitting a new app on 5/3? 😔

Yeeeeep. On three waitlists right now, and of course hoping something comes from them, but not being able to apply until I get off of them stinks. Especially since I got....not much going on rn lol. Might pre-write essays soon honestly.

• Care
Have any accepted students received a scholarship or scholarship information yet from MSU?

Declined my acceptance, I hope it goes to one of you lovely folks, best of luck!

• Care
Reactions: 13 users
If they’ve put more a lot more ppl on the WL than actually given out acceptances, then maybe I can get off T3 Waitlist😳 then again I feel like the majority of ppl that post on SDN are ppl who’ve receive a WL and are looking for updates (small sample size)

If they’ve put more a lot more ppl on the WL than actually given out acceptances, then maybe I can get off T3 Waitlist😳 then again I feel like the majority of ppl that post on SDN are ppl who’ve receive a WL and are looking for updates (small sample size)
That’s got to be it. You don’t really see a lot of concerns or post from people wondering about scholarships or other accepted problems.

That’s got to be it. You don’t really see a lot of concerns or post from people wondering about scholarships or other accepted problems.

Is the "that's got to be it" for the former or latter part of his post? lol

Is the "that's got to be it" for the former or latter part of his post? lol
Latter part, I assume that our page is not a great sample size, as it is likely filled with a disproportionate amount of WL.

My thoughts exactly
also OOS waitlisted

Does anyone have any guesses as to when next round of decisions will be delivered?

Does anyone have any guesses as to when next round of decisions will be delivered?
Could be tomorrow/Friday. Could be Monday. They're probably going to start increasing the frequency of decisions coming out as they start accepting off the WL.

I am on the T1 WL, but am concerned with OOS tuition cost. Anyone in the same boat? Does fin aid cover it all??

I am on the T1 WL, but am concerned with OOS tuition cost. Anyone in the same boat? Does fin aid cover it all??
The financial aid package I received for summer semester was 164% of the summer tuition/fess. I don't know if this is standard. It will hopefully be enough to live on without having to take out additional loans, but I would not be surprised if that is the end result, especially with the costs of moving across the country and the upfront cost of materials to start school.

Has there been no waitlist movement at all yet?? Also does anyone know how quickly they give out WL decisions? I’m out of state and may be signing an apt lease in another state soon so i guess I’m a little worried

Has there been no waitlist movement at all yet?? Also does anyone know how quickly they give out WL decisions? I’m out of state and may be signing an apt lease in another state soon so i guess I’m a little worried
They haven't finished making decisions on most mid to late March interviews yet. I doubt WL movement would begin before all interview decisions are made.

They haven't finished making decisions on most mid to late March interviews yet. I doubt WL movement would begin before all interview decisions are made.
Ah makes sense seems just a very late cycle this year

Who else is concerned with the late nature of all these decisions?
Many schools are behind schedule in many different areas of this cycle. There are people who interviewed in November at some schools and still haven't heard back, and others who were accepted to programs months ago and are being told they have to wait until late May to find out what their financial aid package consists of. I'm sure that COVID and the record number of applicants played a role in all of this, but this problem is definitely not unique to just MSUCOM, so I wouldn't be too worried.

this problem is definitely not unique to just MSUCOM, so I wouldn't be too worried.
Though it's not unique to MSUCOM, waitlisters at this school will be most affected by this delay since MSUCOM starts in June. It certainly worries me.

• Care
Reactions: 7 users