2020-2021 Mercer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good luck to all!! I have a question. What happens if you are rolled into next month's committee meeting? Will they tell you that or is that just something you assume if you do not receive any sort of email/ phone call?

They usually will not contact you if you are rolled over!

Members don't see this ad.

Gotcha! Thank you so much!! Do you know if you are emailed if you are waitlisted? Thank you!

You will be emailed if you are waitlisted, but that will not happen for a couple of months (when they actually decide the waitlist)

Members don't see this ad :)
What day does the committee meet usually?

they met yesterday.. every 3rd Wednesday. They usually send out emails the following day for people who get accepted but didn't receive a phone call but we're still waiting on that (rip)

Just to update for future applicants, the email came out today around 12:50 pm :dead:

Yes, essentially. It's mainly just a panel with Student Ambassadors (SA). You're free to eat your lunch during this session, but honestly, no one does.. lol, not even the SAs. When I interviewed, they were going to divide us amongst 4 SAs, but the break out rooms didn't work, so we were all in one main room with the 4 SAs. It made asking questions a little more difficult, given such a big group, but it worked! I'm sure they probably have this fixed by now though.
For the virtual interview do you actually see other applicants during the break with the SA's? Or is it just you and the interviewers from the school the entire time?

Yes, essentially. It's mainly just a panel with Student Ambassadors (SA). You're free to eat your lunch during this session, but honestly, no one does.. lol, not even the SAs. When I interviewed, they were going to divide us amongst 4 SAs, but the break out rooms didn't work, so we were all in one main room with the 4 SAs. It made asking questions a little more difficult, given such a big group, but it worked! I'm sure they probably have this fixed by now though.
Thank you so much for the response! This definitely helps ease some nerves. Wishing you the best during this cycle! Goodluck :)

For the virtual interview do you actually see other applicants during the break with the SA's? Or is it just you and the interviewers from the school the entire time?
Yes, I was able to see a few other applicants during my break out time with the SA's

Reactions: 1 user
Does mercer, or any medical schools for that matter, call instead of email to invite for an interview? Or is it strictly email only?

Does mercer, or any medical schools for that matter, call instead of email to invite for an interview? Or is it strictly email only?
I received an email. I'm pretty sure it's emails for interview invites and rejections but calls for acceptances.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's strictly emails when you get an interview invite from Mercer, and you schedule it through their secondary portal! I think for acceptances it's both email or calls depending on the person who interviewed you. For waitlist or rejections I think it is emails? Not so sure

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone! I interviewed on 10/20 RD. This is my top-choice school and I am wondering when next months admissions committee meeting might be?

I am assuming I have yet to be fully reviewed because my Interview took place right before the October committee meeting, but please correct me if I am wrong.

Hi everyone! I interviewed on 10/20 RD. This is my top-choice school and I am wondering when next months admissions committee meeting might be?

I am assuming I have yet to be fully reviewed because my Interview took place right before the October committee meeting, but please correct me if I am wrong.

That is correct! I think you'll be fully reviewed and should be notified of your decision until the third Wednesday of November since I think since the committee meets on the third Wednesdays! Good luck! This is also my top choice too!

Does anyone know when the next round of interviews will be sent out? Complete 10/12

II received on 10/12 but the only available dates were in January. should I be worried its so late ??

II received on 10/12 but the only available dates were in January. should I be worried its so late ??

This is the same question I wondered as well. But it doesn't look like a ton of movement in this thread

This is the same question I wondered as well. But it doesn't look like a ton of movement in this thread
No you should not be worried. Just focus on preparing well for your interview and you should be good! Good Luck!!

I know someone who interviewed in February last year and they were fine with relatively low stats

I know someone who interviewed in February last year and they were fine with relatively low stats

That's awesome! Did they got into to Mercer? I am assuming they were a great fit to Mercer's mission. I think it's one of those holistic schools that they will overlook low stats if you are genuinely interested in rural medicine?

That's awesome! Did they got into to Mercer? I am assuming they were a great fit to Mercer's mission. I think it's one of those holistic schools that they will overlook low stats if you are genuinely interested in rural medicine?
Yes they're an M1! And a very rural background that fits the mission!

Yes they're an M1! And a very rural background that fits the mission!
Thank you that makes me happy! There is hope! : ) My background is very rural heavy as well! Also good luck with Mercer! You got this!!

I just interviewed here with a 3.05 cumulative and science GPA. I did an extensive DIY postbac to get them above 3.0 and they noted my success in the interview. Also, I’m not from a rural county but I do have a lot of experience with underrepresented populations. They really are a holistic school.

I just interviewed here with a 3.05 cumulative and science GPA. I did an extensive DIY postbac to get them above 3.0 and they noted my success in the interview. Also, I’m not from a rural county but I do have a lot of experience with underrepresented populations. They really are a holistic school.

Oh my gosh that's amazing, great job on your postbac! And I'm glad they think you're an awesome candidate! Hope you get accepted! That makes me have a huge relief. I know that my MCAT score is not on the competitive side compared to my GPA, but I am so glad Mercer is not all about stats. Thanks for letting me know! I'm looking forward to their interview.

Yeah, I am in a similar boat. Low undergrad GPA but did well in a SMP program. Not from a rural county in Georgia, but raised in a rural county and have shadowing experience in rural areas. Average MCAT (506) but a lot of research and shadowing hours. I also turned in my application late on October 12th. I know they look applications holistically, but is there any chance of receiving a interview this later? I figured if I don't hear anything by December/Jan then that's probably a soft rejection?
Mercer is my #1 school of choice, simply because of its mission and the only MD school I feel like I have a possible shot at with my stats.
Hi! So I remember reading somewhere that the last day applicants will hear back about an Interview Invite is January 28th. But Best of luck to you! You got this :)

Last edited:
I just interviewed 11/5 and the committee meets every 3rd Wednesday right? So does that mean we could hear back by next week, 11/18?

I just interviewed 11/5 and the committee meets every 3rd Wednesday right? So does that mean we could hear back by next week, 11/18?
Hey! I interview tomorrow :) but thats the impression that I had. Anyone who interviews before the 3rd Wednesday will most likely get the opportunity to hear back sooner rather than later. Goodluck to you! :)

Hey! I interview tomorrow :) but thats the impression that I had. Anyone who interviews before the 3rd Wednesday will most likely get the opportunity to hear back sooner rather than later. Goodluck to you! :)
Thank you! That's what I was thinking! Good Luck!!! :)

Fingers crossed I'll get a interview in Dec/Jan....finished early october so I know I'm very late....

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Would anyone on this thread that has already been accepted be willing to share their stats with us that are still waiting? I think it may give some of us a little peace during this long wait period!

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Would anyone on this thread that has already been accepted be willing to share their stats with us that are still waiting? I think it may give some of us a little peace during this long wait period!
From what I have read online, the admissions committee meets every third Wednesday for each month. If that is correct, then I believe this Wednesday will be the first wave of acceptances for RD applicants so no one from that pool has been accepted yet.

Can any current Mercer students let me know if I have any chance of getting at least an interview invite with a sub 3.0 sGPA (2.9). I have a 510 MCAT and am currently in a SMP where I'm crushing these med school classes but haven't heard anything from them since submitting in August :( Mercer is my dream school, love their mission and focus on rural medicine, but I feel that sGPA might mean I've already been filtered out :cryi:
Not a Mercer student, but on their website they give a clear outline of their eligibility criteria. You need a minimum MCAT percentile tank of at least 25. In addition, your MCAT percentile rank multiplied by your BCPM GPA must be greater than 93.

From what I have read online, the admissions committee meets every third Wednesday for each month. If that is correct, then I believe this Wednesday will be the first wave of acceptances for RD applicants so no one from that pool has been accepted yet.
Awesome! I supposed I was asking the EDP applicants that had already been accepted. Good luck to everyone this week!

some RD have already been accepted - the first RD meeting was in October

Can any current Mercer students let me know if I have any chance of getting at least an interview invite with a sub 3.0 sGPA (2.9). I have a 510 MCAT and am currently in a SMP where I'm crushing these med school classes but haven't heard anything from them since submitting in August :( Mercer is my dream school, love their mission and focus on rural medicine, but I feel that sGPA might mean I've already been filtered out :cryi:
I know 2 people who have received interview invites and had sub 3.0, (one both cumulative and sGPA with that MCAT, one only sGPA with a lower MCAT), and the rest of their apps also reflected commitment to serve the medically underserved. Not perfect mission fit, but still in the bounds. Idk if this helps any, but remember, it's not over 'til it's over! I'm sure you'll hear back; seems to me like you fit their mission if rural med is your interest

I know 2 people who have received interview invites and had sub 3.0, (one both cumulative and sGPA with that MCAT, one only sGPA with a lower MCAT), and the rest of their apps also reflected commitment to serve the medically underserved. Not perfect mission fit, but still in the bounds. Idk if this helps any, but remember, it's not over 'til it's over! I'm sure you'll hear back; seems to me like you fit their mission if rural med is your interest
This helps me a lot as I feel like my application is similar to theirs..I'm hoping my low gpa doesn't screen me out. I have shadowing experience in underserved areas and a lot of research. I submitted in October, I'm hoping I get selected for an interview soon even though I know by January if I don't receive one its over. Has anyone who submitted in October heard back yet or got rejected?

some RD have already been accepted - the first RD meeting was in October
Are you sure? When I was choosing interview dates in August, the earliest date I saw was 10/20. So RD applicants have been accepted since then?

Are you sure? When I was choosing interview dates in August, the earliest date I saw was 10/20. So RD applicants have been accepted since then?

Ya I interviewed 9/28 RD and a guy from my interview pool has already been accepted. The slots just filled up fast.

Ya I interviewed 9/28 RD and a guy from my interview pool has already been accepted. The slots just filled up fast.
Oh ha you’re totally right! My wife just reminded me that I didn’t consider September because my son’s due date was in September. So did the committee meet on the 3rd Wednesday of October?

Oh ha you’re totally right! My wife just reminded me that I didn’t consider September because my son’s due date was in September. So did the committee meet on the 3rd Wednesday of October?

Ha, no worries!!! Yeah, it was **brutal** they didn't send out acceptance e-mails until Friday at noon. Of the people I connected with (20 applicants/72 in the first RD pool ) only 2 people were accepted. :drowning: Good luck tomorrow!!

Ha, no worries!!! Yeah, it was **brutal** they didn't send out acceptance e-mails until Friday at noon. Of the people I connected with (20 applicants/72 in the first RD pool ) only 2 people were accepted. :drowning: Good luck tomorrow!!
2 huh? I’ll sleep great tonight...

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
This helps me a lot as I feel like my application is similar to theirs..I'm hoping my low gpa doesn't screen me out. I have shadowing experience in underserved areas and a lot of research. I submitted in October, I'm hoping I get selected for an interview soon even though I know by January if I don't receive one its over. Has anyone who submitted in October heard back yet or got rejected?
I submitted in the first week of October around the 6th? Since my senior year in undergrad kept me busy from my secondary application, and I heard back in like less than a week for an interview invite! But my app was very rural heavy with lots of experiences with the underserved/disadvantaged, being disadvantaged myself, even with meh stats. There is still hope! I am sure you'll get a reply soon, you're a strong rural candidate! I bet they're behind or still working on things with COVID?

Today is the day the committee meets you guys! Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 7 users
I just got the call! I've been accepted!

Reactions: 11 users