2020-2021 Medical College of Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reactions: 1 user
Their website says, "Secondary applications will be sent to all eligible applicants upon MCW’s receipt of your verified AMCAS application."

Not sure if being eligible means just having your AMCAS verified, or if they have a minimum GPA/MCAT... My stats aren't super high tbh, so if they do screen I'm sure it is generous!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone still waiting for a secondary from MCW? My AMCAS was verified in mid-june. I haven't heard anything since then....=(

Reactions: 1 users
Is anyone still waiting for a secondary from MCW? My AMCAS was verified in mid-june. I haven't heard anything since then....=(
Look in your spam and promotions folders. Double check that you sent MCW a primary. I was verified in mid-July and received a secondary the same day.

Would also like to know
They have a 500 MCAT screen.
-from IS student tied to too many pipeline programs

EDIT: They are sending secondaries to students who have not been able to take their MCAT yet though. They were the first secondary I received before getting my score.

I haven’t and it’s not in my spam! I’m not sure if it would be appropriate to email because they’re probably behind with the pandemic. It’s my top choice though so I’m probably just being neurotic.

I haven’t and it’s not in my spam! I’m not sure if it would be appropriate to email because they’re probably behind with the pandemic. It’s my top choice though so I’m probably just being neurotic.

I was verified this past Monday, and I got it on the same day. I think it would be fair for you to politely email and inquire.

Is anyone else having an issue with the CASPer score not showing up?

Thank you for your response! I'm from California but I've also lived in the East Coast for the past year, so I have experience with big and smaller cities.
OOps, sorry for the late reply! I really like it here to (granted, I've only lived here in summer, I am sure winter is dismal!). It's a really accessible city. I feel like it's a size that I can easily take advantage of what is currently being offered (in COVID times) in the city, but also get out pretty easily. I have kids and I am a road cyclist, and from where I am I can quickly get into winding country roads when I bike, but then pop over to the zoo or to a museum with the kids. It's all like 10 minutes away.

I was verified this past Monday, and I got it on the same day. I think it would be fair for you to politely email and inquire.
[/QUOTE
I am in the same boat! Debating sending an email today, was verified and submitted to MCW on 8/2. What did you end up doing?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am applying to the Milwaukee campus as I’m OOS and don’t want to limit myself to the 3 year specialty options. For my diversity essay I talk about how I’ve lived in a rural area and potentially want to work in a rural area as a physician. Would I be doing myself a disservice since Milwaukee is more focused on urban? One of there scholarly pathways is urban underserved and I can’t find much if anything on rural education for this campus.

I am applying to the Milwaukee campus as I’m OOS and don’t want to limit myself to the 3 year specialty options. For my diversity essay I talk about how I’ve lived in a rural area and potentially want to work in a rural area as a physician. Would I be doing myself a disservice since Milwaukee is more focused on urban? One of there scholarly pathways is urban underserved and I can’t find much if anything on rural education for this campus.
I think you can talk about how their community-based curriculum can help you as a rural physician.

I’m just applying to Milwaukee. I have rural connections, but not in Wisconsin, and I’m not super interested in their three-year programs. There are plenty of reasons someone would just apply to the main campus!
This may not be clear in the materials you all have, but not everyone on the regional campuses opt for the three-year track.

You are not limited to the three-year specialty options on the regional campuses. They are merely emphasized here. Your education at the regional campuses will set you up as a strong residency candidate for primary care, internal medicine, psychiatry, and OB/GYN by design.
BUT we have students here with very niche surgical interests who take advantage of the small school to get relevant experiences with the physicians in the career field they want.

The school definitely has a preference for IS all around, but a good amount of OOS matriculate at the Milwaukee campus. Typically, 50-60% of Milwaukee matriculants are IS. IS is especially favored at the 3-year-track regional campuses with 95% of those students IS.
I wouldn't say 95% of students at the regional campus are in-state. For this year's incoming class (of which I am a member), I can think of 5 people offhand who are not from Wisconsin, myself included. There are only 20 of us, so that's 25% out-of-state right there, at least.

This may not be clear in the materials you all have, but not everyone on the regional campuses opt for the three-year track.
Thank you for sharing this! The website definitely makes it seem like the three-year curriculum is the only option at Green Bay and Central Wisconsin.

Email them. I was verified mid June and I emailed them and they said they sent me one on July 13. But how is that possible if apps weren't sent to schools until July 15. Anyways, I guess I am a month late for my secondary.

Apps were sent to schools July 10th

Anyone still waiting for the Casper issue to be fixed? I submitted my secondary on 7/23 (~a month ago)
Yep. I assume the problem is still under investigation, but it seems like a rather long duration for the Casper scores to not be delivered, IDK. I would have probably emailed them with my concerns if interview invites were going out, but for now, I will sit tight for a little longer. I am not sure if anyone has tried contacting them about this problem since the last SDN user posted MCW's response.

@chlbimaru , I decided to email admissions asking for an update on the Casper scores. I will let you know what their response is.

I emailed them last week about CASPer and they said they have our scores, they're just not uploading to the portal. But I'm guessing their issue got fixed because I got a complete email overnight.

Reactions: 2 users
I emailed them last week about CASPer and they said they have our scores, they're just not uploading to the portal. But I'm guessing their issue got fixed because I got a complete email overnight.

Same here, submitted 7/13, now complete 8/26

Complete today! Very excited! Goodluck to all!

If anyone is familiar with the Milwaukee area, share your experiences on what it's like?
I was born and raised in Racine (directly south of Milwaukee) and I love the area! The lakefront is beautiful and there is always something to do in Milwaukee. Suburbs around Milwaukee are really nice as well and less crime in the suburbs.

Reactions: 1 users

...Mine still hasn't updated; anyone else in the same boat?

if you are applying to the regional campus do you only need to apply to the regional prompts? or do you need to respond to the non-regional campus prompts as well?

if you are applying to the regional campus do you only need to apply to the regional prompts? or do you need to respond to the non-regional campus prompts as well?

If you apply for the regional campuses, you need to write all of the prompts.

I know they’ve started since their first interview date is this Friday but I haven’t gotten one nor seen any reported here
I’ve heard they don’t give a lot of notice. Had a friend last year who got an invite on Tuesday for a Friday interview, but they were instate to be fair.

I’ve heard they don’t give a lot of notice. Had a friend last year who got an invite on Tuesday for a Friday interview, but they were instate to be fair.
I can second this. I was OOS (based on east coast) and given a 6 day notice before my interview last year (and this was in-person).

They sent the interview invite in the middle of the night. Best email to ever wake up to.

Last edited:
Anyone think they’ll probably send II’s on Monday then? (I feel like a lot of schools that haven’t started but said they would by August will)

Anyone think they’ll probably send II’s on Monday then? (I feel like a lot of schools that haven’t started but said they would by August will)
I'd bet on this, or at least sometime this week. Unless they've maybe just sent ED II's and they haven't been reported here?

I'm interested in rural health with a primary care specialty, but I'm OOS. I really like the 3 year MD track as well, but I'm worried that I wont get accepted to the regional campuses since I'm OOS. Do you guys think that I should just apply to the main Milwaukee campus instead of the other regional ones? Would that give me a better chance at an interview?

I'm interested in rural health with a primary care specialty, but I'm OOS. I really like the 3 year MD track as well, but I'm worried that I wont get accepted to the regional campuses since I'm OOS. Do you guys think that I should just apply to the main Milwaukee campus instead of the other regional ones? Would that give me a better chance at an interview?
Do you come from a rural area? When I've met adcoms and related people on campus and they spoke about the 3 year programs they were honest about the fact that the regional campuses are mostly instate. However, they said that that the OOS people that they favor are from rural areas or have another very strong case for "why rural"

Do you come from a rural area? When I've met adcoms and related people on campus and they spoke about the 3 year programs they were honest about the fact that the regional campuses are mostly instate. However, they said that that the OOS people that they favor are from rural areas or have another very strong case for "why rural"

I do come from a rural area. What would constitute a strong case?

I do come from a rural area. What would constitute a strong case?
Basically you're able to explain why you want to do rural medicine over any other type of medicine with specific examples as to why you're passionate about that. There's no actual break down of what constitutes a "strong case" - just that you're able to effectively communicate your motivations and interest in a genuine manner.

According to the application tracker, someone received a II today.

• Wow
Looks like there is an II (LM 68) in the tracker. I wonder if its real or not...:unsure:

II! IS, complete 7/16, LM 70. One of my top choices

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users