2020-2021 LSU New Orleans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
HAVE YOU EVER VOLUNTEERED AT OR BEEN EMPLOYED BY A HEALTH CARE RELATED INSTITUTION??

what counts as a health care-related institution??

hospital, clinic etc

Members don't see this ad.

I'm working on my secondary essays. I had uploaded LORs in primary application on AMCAS and when I added LSU to apply I checked all of the letters to send out to LSU. I am sure LSU received the letters through AMCAS. Should I still send LORs again to the admission? the instruction says something like that.
thanks
If you uploaded them through AMCAS you should be good, I received a file complete email without sending LORs to them directly

Reactions: 1 user
OOS, no ties. Submitted 6/19 with no secondary yet. 9/28 MCAT. Anyone else the same?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did you guys end up listing EVERY medical school you had previously applied to? I applied to a ton of schools previously. When I typed all of them, the font turned so small that I couldn't even read anything I wrote LOL :laugh: Do you think it's more appropriate to keep it simple like, "I applied to X number of medical schools during the _____ application cycle"?
Hey, I ended up just putting a few of them! I don't think they can actually verify what/how many schools we applied to before anyway?

Hey, I ended up just putting a few of them! I don't think they can actually verify what/how many schools we applied to before anyway?
Yeah, you're probably right. Well I ended up listing all of them just to be safe lol

Okay hold on I'm confused y'all... I got the secondary, but there's no portal for me to upload the forms onto. What am I missing? I checked the email they sent me as well as the Secondary App instructions. SOS

Okay hold on I'm confused y'all... I got the secondary, but there's no portal for me to upload the forms onto. What am I missing? I checked the email they sent me as well as the Secondary App instructions. SOS
I had a simliar issue. Just call the admissions office and let them know. they'll resend you the email to get into the portal. Also, don't forget to check your spam folder.

I had a simliar issue. Just call the admissions office and let them know. they'll resend you the email to get into the portal. Also, don't forget to check your spam folder.
Lady on the phone rn doesn't believe me haha. Thanks for the advice! Update: They re-sent me the email. :)

II just now! cGPA 3.96, 516, IS, ORM, received “under active consideration” email on 8/2!
Edit: applied regular decision

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I am shook they ask you to mail in a check. Was anyone else thrown off by this?? Like if they aren't willing to let go of their outdated secondary application what other outdated practices are they not willing to let go of...? :wtf:

I am going to start off this post by saying I have lurked on SDN during 2 previous application cycles and have never found the need to post until now. LSU’s secondary email is strange for many reasons. First, there is an obvious spelling error in a highlighted portion where “excepted” is used instead of “accepted.” Also strange that “LSU” is highlighted in every section of the email. Second, they ask you to send a photocopy of an ID and a social security card by email. I’m sorry, what? I’ve completed secondaries for around 40 unique schools and have never had to do this. Then they ask you to send a check or a money order to a po box. This is another thing that I have never had to do. Every single secondary fee I have paid has been through a secure web portal. Lastly, they are only available to talk on the phone during a 4 hour window once a week and do not give their phone number in the email. All of this together and I immediately thought this is a phishing scam. I waited until Thursday so that I could call them and verify if the email was real or not. Well, let me say the interaction I had with the admissions office was incredibly rude and I will not bother applying here. I asked if the email I received was real and I got a sassy reply after a long pause, “If you received a secondary application then it’s real, is that all?”

Sorry for the long rant, but here’s the thing. During the pandemic the only interaction and image of a school I am going to get is through the admissions office. I do not want to attend a school that only has 4 hours a week to field questions from applicants and is rude when doing so. Finally, I’ve had my identity stolen before and it is an absolute nightmare. I would not trust this admissions committee with keeping my very personal information secure, considering everything above. Sorry again for the long post, but I just wanted to inform everyone and say that if you are on the fence about submitting their secondary, do not submit it.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk

I’m going to ask this again...did anyone actually print/sign then re-upload the secondary forms for submission or do a digital signature? Also do they want us to upload a passport-size photo to their web portal or mail in a passport picture with our check? And finally...did you all have to scan your DL and SS card on a single piece of paper to email them or did you do two separate documents (only asking because I have copies of both but they aren’t together, hence I have no way to scan them on one piece of paper).

Any advice from you all would be greatly appreciated because this secondary is confusing AF!!

I’m going to ask this again...did anyone actually print/sign then re-upload the secondary forms for submission or do a digital signature? Also do they want us to upload a passport-size photo to their web portal or mail in a passport picture with our check? And finally...did you all have to scan your DL and SS card on a single piece of paper to email them or did you do two separate documents (only asking because I have copies of both but they aren’t together, hence I have no way to scan them on one piece of paper).

Any advice from you all would be greatly appreciated because this secondary is confusing AF!!

Hi, here's some information on what I did! I signed my papers on an iPad and uploaded the documents as is. Yes, upload the photo on the portal. I sent my DL and SS card on a single piece of paper as that's what they requested but if you absolutely cannot, just let them know your situtation when you send it in. If you're worried about that can you screenshot both documents, crop to the image only and put them in a word doc to make it one document?

Members don't see this ad :)

I did not print out the secondary - I did a digital signature... except this one box that was not designed for it (I ended up using my ipad to sign it). I uploaded my photo on the website as it is free and easier. Lastly, I emailed my DL and SSN on a single piece of paper and emailed. They sent me a confirmation email on the following day. They seem not care much as long as you submit what they ask for.

Received 2˚ invite September 6th after pre-screen! Canadian (considered OOS) with 3.56 cGPA(upward trend; 3.33 3.28 3.59 4.00) and 516 (129/127/129/131) MCAT. Lots of leadership, 500+ hours research, 3 years of hospital volunteering

I got an II however the subject line said "MPH Interview Invitation" but the email itself said "medical school interview." I applied for the combined MD/MPH program. Does anybody know if LSU has a different interview/acceptance process for students interested in MD/MPH? The wording of the email just confused me!

I got an II however the subject line said "MPH Interview Invitation" but the email itself said "medical school interview." I applied for the combined MD/MPH program. Does anybody know if LSU has a different interview/acceptance process for students interested in MD/MPH? The wording of the email just confused me!

Not sure about different procedures, unfortunately, but just curious: Did you complete the MPH application as well? I applied MD/MPH as well, but I hadn't completed the MPH application because acceptance to med school is a pre-req.

Not sure about different procedures, unfortunately, but just curious: Did you complete the MPH application as well? I applied MD/MPH as well, but I hadn't completed the MPH application because acceptance to med school is a pre-req.
No, I haven't filled out an MPH application, just the regular MD secondary! That's why it was interesting that the email specifically mentioned MD/MPH.

Warning to anyone trying to edit the secondary documents on your computer (I first filled them all out by hand but was trying not to have to scan tons of documents and merge them into a pdf): A lot of my edits to the documents did not save when I uploaded them to their online portal AND there is no option to delete the documents that were uploaded or upload another document. If I'm being honest, their pdf downloads are super wack, there are numerous issues with them. First, their preset boxes to type in don't always work, so I had to use edit and add my own text boxes, which did not upload with the document when I uploaded it to the portal. Second, their check boxes that you can check yes or no for don't save when you save your pdf, so I edited the document in Preview with the doodle feature and drew in neat checks. Those also did not stay with the document when I uploaded it to the portal. So all of these edits are present when I open the pdf on my laptop, and were even present when I emailed it to myself and downloaded it from email. However, there must be some feature on the online portal that does not allow any edits that aren't in the preset editing boxes in the documents. Like I said, I cannot delete the incomplete documents now or upload handwritten ones, neither is an option after you submit. I have to call them today to see what my options are. Super not impressed with this secondary process, it has been terrible. I kept editing the documents on my computer and the edits weren't saving. I spent hours finding a way to get everything to save and show up and then none of it showed up when I uploaded to their portal. Save yourself this massive headache and hand-fill-in the documents and scan them, and also go check/preview your uploaded documents to make sure nothing was omitted if you filled it out on a computer.

Warning to anyone trying to edit the secondary documents on your computer (I first filled them all out by hand but was trying not to have to scan tons of documents and merge them into a pdf): A lot of my edits to the documents did not save when I uploaded them to their online portal AND there is no option to delete the documents that were uploaded or upload another document. If I'm being honest, their pdf downloads are super wack, there are numerous issues with them. First, their preset boxes to type in don't always work, so I had to use edit and add my own text boxes, which did not upload with the document when I uploaded it to the portal. Second, their check boxes that you can check yes or no for don't save when you save your pdf, so I edited the document in Preview with the doodle feature and drew in neat checks. Those also did not stay with the document when I uploaded it to the portal. So all of these edits are present when I open the pdf on my laptop, and were even present when I emailed it to myself and downloaded it from email. However, there must be some feature on the online portal that does not allow any edits that aren't in the preset editing boxes in the documents. Like I said, I cannot delete the incomplete documents now or upload handwritten ones, neither is an option after you submit. I have to call them today to see what my options are. Super not impressed with this secondary process, it has been terrible. I kept editing the documents on my computer and the edits weren't saving. I spent hours finding a way to get everything to save and show up and then none of it showed up when I uploaded to their portal. Save yourself this massive headache and hand-fill-in the documents and scan them, and also go check/preview your uploaded documents to make sure nothing was omitted if you filled it out on a computer.
Yeah, I didn’t like the way it looked when I typed the responses so I printed them, filled them out by hand, and scanned and uploaded them. It was kind of a pain but it worked out. I’m sorry you’ve had such a frustrating experience, their secondary is definitely kinda wack!

If you haven't clicked "I'm Done" then all you have to do is click the garbage can on the right hand (above the green check mark) side to remove documents. It works since I removed the PDF of the Driver's License page. As for the pdf issue, that is good to know. What I am doing is filling them out and then clicking "Print to file" to export it as a PDF without those fields and making the answers are part of the non-editable text within the file. You could probably also export or convert to .doc or .jpg using other software. Hopefully this works, but I'll report back if it doesn't.

I also just used the "add text" function in the PDF. It's not worth trying to fit everything in to the form areas that are available. I would agree with the earlier posters: Download the PDFs to your computer first, then either print out and complete by hand and scan it, or use the "comment" or "edit PDF" tools to add your own text boxes as needed.

I also just used the "add text" function in the PDF. It's not worth trying to fit everything in to the form areas that are available. I would agree with the earlier posters: Download the PDFs to your computer first, then either print out and complete by hand and scan it, or use the "comment" or "edit PDF" tools to add your own text boxes as needed.
That's what my post said I did, I did add text boxes as needed, but what I'm saying is somehow those didn't upload with the PDF when I uploaded it to the portal? I called yesterday and they let me just send them by email, since you can see all the added text boxes and doodles on the pdf by email or on a laptop, just not on the portal for some reason. Super weird.

If you haven't clicked "I'm Done" then all you have to do is click the garbage can on the right hand (above the green check mark) side to remove documents. It works since I removed the PDF of the Driver's License page. As for the pdf issue, that is good to know. What I am doing is filling them out and then clicking "Print to file" to export it as a PDF without those fields and making the answers are part of the non-editable text within the file. You could probably also export or convert to .doc or .jpg using other software. Hopefully this works, but I'll report back if it doesn't.
That's what I ended up doing before I emailed it to them was printing to file, my friend told me that would save the edits I made. My only thing was some of the paper got cut off, I guess it saves it to your preset printing margins, so some of the school title got cut off and some directions at the top of the pages, but the way I see it, it was nothing super important, so I'm just glad we got it figured out!

Under consideration email just received! OOS---anyone know what the timeline could mean from here

I got secondary received email on 9/10 and payment received email on 9/14. How long has it been taking people to get the secondary complete and under consideration?

I got secondary received email on 9/10 and payment received email on 9/14. How long has it been taking people to get the secondary complete and under consideration?
I got the completion email a couple days after the secondary and payment was received. I was complete on 8/21 and still haven't gotten the under consideration email yet.

Having issues with them responding to my email or returning my call regarding a few questions??I've sent two emails and called 3 times.

Having issues with them responding to my email or returning my call regarding a few questions??I've sent two emails and called 3 times.
I called yesterday about not having a complete email yet and they said that they have been really busy with a lot of apps. I have had better luck with calling as opposed to email.

Anyone else literally can't even access the secondary application portal? First email they sent me had no portal link, only instructions. Then, I contacted the admissions office and they sent me a broken link. Now I can't get in contact with the admissions office. I've been contacting with AAMC though so hopefully that gets resolved. So frustrated by how difficult LSU's processes is.

For anyone who has already interviewed or has an interview coming up - is there a 2 hour break between the morning orientation/tour and the interviews? This is what it seems like based on the emails they sent, but it seems like a pretty long gap

For anyone who has already interviewed or has an interview coming up - is there a 2 hour break between the morning orientation/tour and the interviews? This is what it seems like based on the emails they sent, but it seems like a pretty long gap
Yeah, it was 1 1/2 hour orientation with Eubanks and some students until 11:30. Then the interviews began around 1:30.

Interview invitation received this morning (9/22)!
MD/MPH applicant, IS

Primary submitted 8/13
Secondary submitted/file complete 8/20
"Active Consideration" email & Interview invitation rcv'd 9/22/20
Interview scheduled for 10/7/20

Reactions: 3 users
Received my "file complete, under active consideration" email today. Does that mean a decision about II is close, or still a long wait?

Received my "file complete, under active consideration" email today. Does that mean a decision about II is close, or still a long wait?
I received an II exactly a month after getting the "under active consideration" email, but it's hard to predict - you could probably hear back sooner or later than that!

Anyone have it take a long time for them to receive your payment? Sent it over a week ago and I live down the block

Anyone have it take a long time for them to receive your payment? Sent it over a week ago and I live down the block
I live in the area and it took them a week or so to email me payment confirmation.

Anyone not ED receive a II?
Also, do y’all know how long it takes for them to review applications before hearing something? I’ve been under “active consideration” for about a week.