2020-2021 Hofstra (Zucker)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So these virtual interviews are traditional correct? I know they said that in their email but on their website they still say that they do MMI
Can anyone who completed the interview confirm?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Do you guys think it is too late to add Hofstra to my school list, already complete at other schools but totally thought I added Hofstra to my primary when I didnt... now i am wondering if it would be too late if I am complete by the end of the week... what do you guys think?

Got a VITA invite a few minutes ago!! Nervous but mostly excited!

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
also got VITA! Complete 7/27

Reactions: 4 users
Do you guys think it is too late to add Hofstra to my school list, already complete at other schools but totally thought I added Hofstra to my primary when I didnt... now i am wondering if it would be too late if I am complete by the end of the week... what do you guys think?
I think you should go for it! The secondary for this school is short so you could probably return it pretty quickly and still be considered on time. I'm still submitting secondaries to other schools even now and while I might not be early, I'm not too worried about it being too late to even try, either!

VITA invite today, OOS and LM 70 (ORM). I was complete 7/14.

Reactions: 5 users
Damn you're killing it this cycle! So many II already!! Congrats!
Thanks so much! A big change from last cycle when I got one total II in December. I'm convinced they're all mistakes.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the response! mind sharing what dates theyre booking?
I got my official II about a week ago and the earliest dates were early-mid November. I'd imagine they are a little bit farther than that now.

• Wow
  • Sad
Official II just now after getting VITA invite yesterday afternoon. Vita completed previously for another school. Earliest interview date is 11/23

Official II came through today! I had not been invited to do VITA until this Thursday (9/24), so I did it today (9/25) at 3pm and my Hofstra II came an hour later. VITA II = live II.

Complete 7/14, LM 70, OOS. First available date was in late November.

Reactions: 9 users
Has anyone done an interview yet? Not too sure what the earliest date was but just curious about general vibes especially since they went from mainly MMI to entirely traditional this year

@axonwhiskers do the individual VITA questions carry the same weight as each of the two regular interviews?

That's a good question, but I don't have an answer for that. I can't imagine that they would though, given that it's their first time using VITA and that the actual interviews are much more informative (3min unidirectional vs 30min bi)

Last edited:
And to people who have interviews coming up, I found this post from sdn super helpful. Good luck!

Hey! I had my interview this past week. As for the MMI, we were told each VITA question will be graded by a different person, so we’ll have 8 different “scores” (6 from VITA + 2 interviewers) that will be considered for admission.

Interviews:
I was told one would be open file and the other would be closed, but both were open file. Caught me off guard a little, but still ended up being ok. Spent more time talking about my app. They were both really friendly, kept the interviews very conversational, and gave a lot of feedback on the work that I did as well as general information about the school + hospitals. Both were heavily involved in teaching, so I appreciated that I had an opportunity to hear more about the school from their perspectives. Certainly had a couple questions that I wasn’t expecting, but generally conversational + typical interview questions. Also each of the interviews were capped at 30mins, so didn’t have a ton of time to ask questions at the end, but overall was a very pleasant experience.

Other parts of the day:
The other parts of the interview were really helpful - got a brief look into their PEARLS curriculum/ structure lab. Lots of opportunities to ask questions + talk to current med students/staff. Appreciated that we had a lot of time to talk to the med students, especially since Interviews are virtual this year. Everyone tried to really ensure the day went as smoothly as possible and answer any questions you may have. All we had to do was join the main Zoom call, and the staff moved us around to breakout rooms (even for the one-on-one interviews). We were told this week was their first week of interviews, yet I didn't experience any technical issues/the day felt very organized. They are very open to feedback as well. Overall, a very friendly and relaxed vibe. Really loved the people and the school!

Thanks very much that was extremely helpful! Best of luck to you and maybe see you next year as classmates!

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Took VITA yesterday, II today. Next available interview date was 12/4.

Reactions: 3 users
Likewise, II today, 12/4 was the earliest available date (for PM slot at least haha).

II received!! Complete 08/20. OOS ORM

Reactions: 2 users
Hey! I had my interview this past week. As for the MMI, we were told each VITA question will be graded by a different person, so we’ll have 8 different “scores” (6 from VITA + 2 interviewers) that will be considered for admission.

Interviews:
I was told one would be open file and the other would be closed, but both were open file. Caught me off guard a little, but still ended up being ok. Spent more time talking about my app. They were both really friendly, kept the interviews very conversational, and gave a lot of feedback on the work that I did as well as general information about the school + hospitals. Both were heavily involved in teaching, so I appreciated that I had an opportunity to hear more about the school from their perspectives. Certainly had a couple questions that I wasn’t expecting, but generally conversational + typical interview questions. Also each of the interviews were capped at 30mins, so didn’t have a ton of time to ask questions at the end, but overall was a very pleasant experience.

Other parts of the day:
The other parts of the interview were really helpful - got a brief look into their PEARLS curriculum/ structure lab. Lots of opportunities to ask questions + talk to current med students/staff. Appreciated that we had a lot of time to talk to the med students, especially since Interviews are virtual this year. Everyone tried to really ensure the day went as smoothly as possible and answer any questions you may have. All we had to do was join the main Zoom call, and the staff moved us around to breakout rooms (even for the one-on-one interviews). We were told this week was their first week of interviews, yet I didn't experience any technical issues/the day felt very organized. They are very open to feedback as well. Overall, a very friendly and relaxed vibe. Really loved the people and the school!

Thanks for taking the time to do such a thorough writeup, and I'm glad that the day was relatively smooth and relaxed on your end! Given how different things are this year, please don't hesitate to reach out to ZSOM (or me) with any questions or feedback. I'm also happy to pass on anonymous feedback/questions to the admissions department if you aren't comfortable reaching out to them directly.

Interviewed today. Hofstra had the most laid back interviews ever.

Reactions: 8 users
According to the post-II acceptance rate data put together by limeyguydr (@TheDataKing), it looks like ~40% for IS and OOS.

Data is from USNWR

Side note but holy hell my friend you have 11 II already???? Teach us your ways!!

But seriously, congrats on a great cycle so far!

Hi! Congrats to those of you receiving Vita invites! May i ask, if you are all OOS or IS, or OOS with ties? Also are you ORM or URM? I am an OOS ORM with no ties so just trying to see my chances

Hi guys! I was wondering if anyone had to request a secondary? I don’t qualify one of their requirements (mcat)- should I even request a secondary?

Hi guys! I was wondering if anyone had to request a secondary? I don’t qualify one of their requirements (mcat)- should I even request a secondary?
I wouldn't if I were you because they set a min requirement for a reason. Even if they were to grant you a secondary, I dont know if they would grant you an II, let alone an acceptance. Im sorry but I just feel this would be a waste of money.

Hi! Congrats to those of you receiving Vita invites! May i ask, if you are all OOS or IS, or OOS with ties? Also are you ORM or URM? I am an OOS ORM with no ties so just trying to see my chances
Hi! I'm URM OOS with no ties.

Non trad applicant with low GPA, fell under the GPA requirement but requested a secondary and received an II. Request the secondary if you're interested in the school and have the money to spend.

Non trad applicant with low GPA, fell under the GPA requirement but requested a secondary and received an II. Request the secondary if you're interested in the school and have the money to spend.
Wow, thanks for the hope! I am a non-trad too! with good research and clinical experiences. My GPA is good too. but my mcat is not the best...

Also congrats on the interview!! Proud of you!

Also quick question, you didn't receive a confirmation email right that you have requested a secondary? After submitting the request form, I saw on that website that it said an admissions representative will take a look at my application and if I am eligible I should get a secondary within a week. Is that what you saw too?

Also quick question, you didn't receive a confirmation email right that you have requested a secondary? I have received on that website that ad admissions representative will take a look at my application and if I am eligible I should get a secondary within a week. Is that what you saw too?
No I didn't receive a confirmation email for the secondary request. I preemptively requested a secondary since I knew my cumulative was below the minimum GPA requirement as per the confirmation email when they received my primary application on 7/13. Received the secondary 7/15, submitted 7/24.

OOS ORM with no ties!

II received on mid-Sept; Secondary complete on 7/30; Interview scheduled for mid-Nov... This has been my dream school

Last edited:
Does VITA invite automatically mean interview? I know their email said it doesn't but has there been anyone who got VITA but not II?

Does VITA invite automatically mean interview? I know their email said it doesn't but has there been anyone who got VITA but not II?
Almost positive VITA invite = II once you submit. I personally don't think I did very well on my VITA (unfortunately for me lol), but I still received an II the very next morning (completed VITA the evening before).

VITA means II. At the interview, they stated VITA was not looked at prior to the II.

VITA received today! Complete 8/5

Anyone know if there is gonna be a virtual visit so we can get to know the school?

VITA II today, complete 9/11.