2020-2021 Hofstra (Zucker)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got emails from Sinai and Hofstra!

...about their MPH and diversity initiatives....

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
Looks like the VITA invite from Hofstra is essentially an II, so if you get one it'll become an interview once you complete it (or in waves?)

I wonder if they actually viewed the VITA responses prior to sending the II's or they just waited to see if the VITA was complete.

Reactions: 1 user
I wonder if they actually viewed the VITA responses prior to sending the II's or they just waited to see if the VITA was complete.

Im going to tell myself that my VITA was stellar so I can sleep better at night lol. But most likely they didn’t.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone that already completed VITA for UMass also receive a VITA email from Hofstra?

Would it look bad to not complete the optional covid essay? I mention in my gap year essay that my volunteering was put on hold, but otherwise my application hasn't been affected. I also wouldn't really consider having to go to work in-person at my job much of a challenge in comparison to those who work in healthcare. I wouldn't want to sound inconsiderate by saying that having to be at work would be a challenge.
also am curious about this. anyone have input?

Has anyone that already completed VITA for UMass also receive a VITA email from Hofstra?

You will no longer receive invites but will receive the email from AAMC later in the day with the list of schools that invited you

Im going to tell myself that my VITA was stellar so I can sleep better at night lol. But most likely they didn’t.
I'm praying that VITA doesn't hold a lot of weight, I'm pretty sure I bombed it and rambled a ton :/ Now I get to stress about it for the next month or so since a good amount of schools I applied to require it lol

Reactions: 6 users
Did VITA yesterday. For those who got IIs, what time did they come in?

Hofstra sends its own email as well

So just to clarify, does Hofstra email you directly in advance to let you know that you will be receiving a VITA invitation -- or did you just receive a VITA invitation on a Thursday and then find out it was from Hofstra?

So just to clarify, does Hofstra email you directly in advance to let you know that you will be receiving a VITA invitation -- or did you just receive a VITA invitation on a Thursday and then find out it was from Hofstra?
You get one in advance from Hofstra and you will then get a VITA invite from HireVue, one or two more from HireVue that give a practice test and resources, and then one more from AAMC later in the day/week listing the schools who invited you to VITA

Members don't see this ad :)
II just now! VITA complete 8/26. It's looking like the VITA invitation is a pretty reliable indicator of an II

Reactions: 5 users
II just now! VITA complete 8/26. It's looking like the VITA invitation is a pretty reliable indicator of an II
I agree. I'm also not sure if they actually reviewed the VITA footage before sending out the II lol but my VITA legit sucked a** so there's that.

II as well! I agree, seems like Hofstra just wants to make sure people actually finish the VITA part so they dont waste time on a live interview only for people to not complete the other part of their app.

Reactions: 3 users
II invite today, did not complete VITA (was planning on completing it this week). LM 69

Reactions: 5 users
Just got my VITA invite (complete 8/22, stats in signature)! I wonder how it'll work if I've already done VITA, I'm assuming I don't have to do anything on my end?

Has it seemed so far that VITA will lead to an II?

hello! i'm so confused lmao i just got a VITA invite from Hofstra. Reading the thread above does this not automatically mean i'm going to get an ii at some point too or is this another like evaluative step for them before inviting people to interview live..?

this may be skewed because SDN posters tend to be higher stats than the general population but as far as we have seen, VITA leads to an II

Has it seemed so far that VITA will lead to an II?

I haven't seen anyone here receive a VITA and not get an II. Also, their turnaround for "VITA received" to "II" was super fast for some folks (including myself), indicating they may simply be waiting to receive the VITA (and not to review the VITA). However, Hofstra was pretty explicit in the VITA email that it is no guarantee of an II, so really it's anyone's guess. Just my $0.02.

I haven't seen anyone here receive a VITA and not get an II. Also, their turnaround for "VITA received" to "II" was super fast for some folks (including myself), indicating they may simply be waiting to receive the VITA (and not to review the VITA). However, Hofstra was pretty explicit in the VITA email that it is no guarantee of an II, so really it's anyone's guess. Just my $0.02.

thanks. just finished reading the rest of the email and saw that caveat lol...that is so wack tbh but good to know it usually leads to an ii

Someone above says they got an II before finishing VITA so I think it bodes well

Someone above says they got an II before finishing VITA so I think it bodes well
That confused me a lot because the II email specifically says "Thank you for completing VITA". I'm not saying they're lying - just very confused how that happened

I was curious - what was the earliest virtual interview date for Hofstra? I only saw end of September when I did it

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got my VITA invite (complete 8/22, stats in signature)! I wonder how it'll work if I've already done VITA, I'm assuming I don't have to do anything on my end?

Isn't VITA on Thursdays?

Isn't VITA on Thursdays?

Hofstra sends their own email letting you know they have requested VITA from you. On Thursday, you'll receive AAMC's VITA invitation.

Reactions: 2 users
Guys I was wondering, I finished my VITA and ever since, 3 more schools with vita have invited me but I stopped getting the aamc updates with the list of schools? Is this because I completed my VITA?

Guys I was wondering, I finished my VITA and ever since, 3 more schools with vita have invited me but I stopped getting the aamc updates with the list of schools? Is this because I completed my VITA?

No you should still be getting those every Thurs

No you should still be getting those every Thurs

I got a UMass invite in the first week of August, but since then I haven’t received any emails from them on Thursdays. I know I haven’t gotten any more VITA invites, but I thought I would still get the weekly “update” even if nothing has changed.

I don't have an answer but I'm in the same boat - ever since I submitted my VITA, I've stopped receiving the weekly Thursday updates. I don't know if any additional schools have requested VITA from me since they haven't sent any emails from the schools themselves, so Hofstra is the first that I'm aware of since submission... we'll see if I get a weekly update email tomorrow I guess?

I don't have an answer but I'm in the same boat - ever since I submitted my VITA, I've stopped receiving the weekly Thursday updates. I don't know if any additional schools have requested VITA from me since they haven't sent any emails from the schools themselves, so Hofstra is the first that I'm aware of since submission... we'll see if I get a weekly update email tomorrow I guess?
I got a UMass invite in the first week of August, but since then I haven’t received any emails from them on Thursdays. I know I haven’t gotten any more VITA invites, but I thought I would still get the weekly “update” even if nothing has changed.
Thank you. I don’t know what to do now, there’s no vita portal I can check and idk if I have the energy right now to deal w aamc

Fascinating. I also have UMass and Hofstra and have been getting those emails. Honestly not too sure sorry :(

Finished my VITA yesterday, got an II today

Complete 7/28

Following up - I didn't get any weekly update emails today! I completed the VITA 8/27, got the VITA email from Hofstra 9/2 (yesterday), and... nothing else :rofl:

Following up - I didn't get any weekly update emails today! I completed the VITA 8/27, got the VITA email from Hofstra 9/2 (yesterday), and... nothing else :rofl:

I believe nobody got anything from VITA today across all schools. Not sure why exactly but..yea

• Hmm
I believe nobody got anything from VITA today across all schools. Not sure why exactly but..yea

That's kind of wild... you'd think that if AAMC is going to mandate this as part of the app process for so many applicants, they'd also make sure it at least operates as expected. I just emailed them to see if we're supposed to even expect those report emails to continue after completing VITA! Will follow up when (if) they respond

That's kind of wild... you'd think that if AAMC is going to mandate this as part of the app process for so many applicants, they'd also make sure it at least operates as expected. I just emailed them to see if we're supposed to even expect those report emails to continue after completing VITA! Will follow up when (if) they respond

Report emails continued every week for me and usually comes around 4 pm EST. But yea I have literally no clue what happened to VITA today lol

And final follow-up: "A notification will be sent whenever a new school has invited you to interview with VITA, unfortunately there was a minor glitch where applicants where notified for the same school multiple weeks in a row that has since been resolved."

And final follow-up: "A notification will be sent whenever a new school has invited you to interview with VITA, unfortunately there was a minor glitch where applicants where notified for the same school multiple weeks in a row that has since been resolved."
So i guess we will only get emails when a new school invites us, and not a weekly summary email as i had initially thought