2020-2021 Carle Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I spoke with an ADCOM a few weeks ago. At that time, they wanted to honor their previous statement about not having interviews. For this reason they are not using VITA for applicant selection this cycle, but instead as a trial for future cycles. They hadn’t decided who would get them yet. I imagine they will look at a select group of VITAs after the class has been selected to determine if it works for them. It’s pretty similar to their video secondary so I imagine it’s something they will like to use in the future. This was a few weeks ago and things might have changed between now and then.

What had they said about "not having interviews?" That they're selecting the class based on the primary and seconary?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I spoke with an ADCOM a few weeks ago. At that time, they wanted to honor their previous statement about not having interviews. For this reason they are not using VITA for applicant selection this cycle, but instead as a trial for future cycles. They hadn’t decided who would get them yet. I imagine they will look at a select group of VITAs after the class has been selected to determine if it works for them. It’s pretty similar to their video secondary so I imagine it’s something they will like to use in the future. This was a few weeks ago and things might have changed between now and then.

What a legendary adcom we love to see it

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone received a complete/under review email?

Wonder if they'll invite for showcase event this year or not. Last year, they sent those out around Aug 9th. Maybe we'll get updates next week.

Has anyone received a complete/under review email?

Wonder if they'll invite for showcase event this year or not. Last year, they sent those out around Aug 9th. Maybe we'll get updates next week.

Under review since July 17th. Not sure if they're doing a showcase event this year, but I don't think anyone has heard about it yet.

Reactions: 1 user
How long did it take everyone to get their secondary after submitting the prereq form? I submitted on Wednesday and still haven't heard back

How long did it take everyone to get their secondary after submitting the prereq form? I submitted on Wednesday and still haven't heard back
I got mine the same day I submitted the prereq form.

@INbikesarefun I wouldn't be alarmed if you haven't received anything yet; I'm sure you'll get it sometime this week. I imagine they're swamped/this is their peak.

Has anyone heard anything about VITA? I haven't heard from them since my secondary complete email. Although as their video essays taught me, I don't think asynchronous interviews are my strong point.....

Reactions: 1 users
@INbikesarefun I wouldn't be alarmed if you haven't received anything yet; I'm sure you'll get it sometime this week. I imagine they're swamped/this is their peak.

Has anyone heard anything about VITA? I haven't heard from them since my secondary complete email. Although as their video essays taught me, I don't think asynchronous interviews are my strong point.....
Quiet on my end as well.

Someone above said Carle is not actually doing VITA. Who knows if it is true though.

Members don't see this ad :)
This waiting game is killing me, knowing that the next time we hear from them might be a final decision...

Just wanted to check - have you heard back yet? Because I still haven't :cryi:

When did you submit it? How many competencies did you have?
I believe I submitted it the day I got it (8/19) or the day after. I'm in engineering, should have all the competencies except for maybe bio since for these I counted some of my BME courses.

I believe I submitted it the day I got it (8/19) or the day after. I'm in engineering, should have all the competencies except for maybe bio since for these I counted some of my BME courses.
That’s weird, I think they actually send a rejection if you didn’t meet the competencies. I’d reach out! If your BME you should be golden

That’s weird, I think they actually send a rejection if you didn’t meet the competencies. I’d reach out! If your BME you should be golden
Hmm okay! I think I'll wait a little bit and start working on my secondary first before reaching out to them. I'd hate to get a response and then not having anything ready for them haha. Thanks!

Very odd, I just got the email denying a secondary, stating I did not meet 3 or more competencies. I'm actually a reapplicant to this school, and received the secondary the first time I applied so I'm not sure what was different this time... may have to call them to see what was missing!

Any idea about when we might start hearing news from them? I know theres no interview, but are they planning on doing anything prior to final decisions?

Just received an invitation to attend a virtual showcase - seems like the same full-day event from previous years but in a virtual format

Is the showcase a good sign? I think I should be excited right

I got the virtual showcase link too! I think from last year's thread, if you got invited to the showcase, it was a positive sign of a potential impending II?

Got it too!!! Excited! I remember seeing somewhere the stats of showcase invites vs accepted and it seems to be on the same tier as receiving an II from other schools.

Got it too!!! Excited! I remember seeing somewhere the stats of showcase invites vs accepted and it seems to be on the same tier as receiving an II from other schools.

Oh right, I forgot that Carle doesn't hold interviews... so this is basically the last step before an offer of acceptance (or WL/R, but I'm trying to be positive here)?

Do you remember the rough percentage by chance?

Last year they invited 300 applicants to fill 40 spots. Assuming they accept 2.5x spots, that would mean 100 acceptances. ~33% chance.

Showcase invite too!! Guess they liked my Canva skills!

Reactions: 3 users
Showcase invite too! Looks like the og meme I put in my creativity portfolio wasn't such a bad idea after all..

• Haha
If they're not interviewing during the showcase, how do they go from showcase invites to acceptance?

If they're not interviewing during the showcase, how do they go from showcase invites to acceptance?

The understanding is that you NEED a showcase invite to be considered for an A because that places you in the upper tier of applicants. You do not need to attend for an A though. I think they kinda evaluate how you are during it (although I believe they say they don't) and that it might play a very minor part in the decision

I have no idea how they're doing it this year with the virtual showcase but I can tell you that when it was in-person they were definitely secretly evaluating applicants at the showcase. Every student that matriculated attended a showcase so it's probably in your best interest to attend this one if you got an offer. But again it could be different this year idk

I have no idea how they're doing it this year with the virtual showcase but I can tell you that when it was in-person they were definitely secretly evaluating applicants at the showcase. Every student that matriculated attended a showcase so it's probably in your best interest to attend this one if you got an offer. But again it could be different this year idk

They actually make no mention in any of the showcase emails of it not being evaluated so that might be a language change from previous cycles

Since there isn't any real interview, what's the point in inviting applicants to the showcase who they aren't going to accept, given that they already have all our application materials? I'm really not sure how they would be able to evaluate us virtually when the showcase seems pretty passive on the applicants' part.

• Hmm
For those who got showcase invites, when did you submit your secondaries?

Received on 7/14, submitted on 7/19. I have a really strong engineering background - my undergraduate degree was in chemical engineering, and I am getting a master's in BME.

I just checked MSAR (after hearing on Reddit that the 10/15 release of acceptances is just a guideline by AAMC), and Carle has 10/1 listed as their earliest notification date. Do you think it's possible we could hear on Thursday? Or is it more likely they'll wait until after their info session?