2020-2021 California Health Sciences University College of Osteopathic Medicine (CHSU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
has anyone from this Monday's interview group (3/15) heard anything yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm there fb group is getting close to full which probs means they are building a WL list even more maybe? Not sure
Don't forget a lot of people may join as accepted, but then withdraw and not necessarily remember to leave the fb group. So don't take the numbers as totals but rather raw estimates.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't forget a lot of people may join as accepted, but then withdraw and not necessarily remember to leave the fb group. So don't take the numbers as totals but rather raw estimates.
Thats true too ahhh we love anxiety dont we?

from last year's thread, it seems like waitlist movement starts in end of april/beginning of may. not sure if this year will be the same if interviews are offered in may

from last year's thread, it seems like waitlist movement starts in end of april/beginning of may. not sure if this year will be the same if interviews are offered in may
I predict (could be wrong) that WL will start in May and IIs will still be happening based on last year. I think peeps that were WL a while back may get first dibs as compared to recent applicants based on last years thread.

Just withdrew my A- it feels a little bit weird letting go of this seat after 7 months but I'm hoping it goes to one of you!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
A couple undergrad friends are M1 students here. Told me that people were accepted from the WL up to a week before classes started. As a new school they will definitely have a lot of waitlist movement.
Random and not relevant but how do they like it so far?

Just got an II!! I'm so excited but we're so far into the cycle I'm concerned I'm just interviewing for a waitlist spot :(. Any advice on the interview?

Reactions: 1 users
Just got an II!! I'm so excited but we're so far into the cycle I'm concerned I'm just interviewing for a waitlist spot :(. Any advice on the interview?
Expect a lot of waitlist movement. So I wouldn't miss out on interviewing.

• Love
Aren’t y’all concerned about the pharmacy school at CHSU having their pending accreditation withdrawn? I’m from the area and it seems like CHSU is really struggling with getting clinical rotation sites. They’re competing with UCD, UCSF, and now USC in Tulare county. out of state schools like Tuoro NV and RVU already send students to Clovis/Fresno/Hanford for rotations. I don’t think this school will have their clinical education set for a few years, and definitely not in 3 years time
Although it is a concern to an extent. The school has already set up rotation sites and has been rotating DMU(or was it KCU) students who wanted to be closer to home for at least a year now. Time will tell but I think they are trying to establish themselves with the local hospital system pretty well.

It isnt a concern. We have already discussed this earlier in the thread. The pharm admin team are seperate from the med school and have no power here.

Regarding rotations - it is always encouraged for students to look around and see what GME programs are nearby to the school- short story- theres plenty and they make it a statement to show you that if you do the research on their website so again- they seem to have their crap together for the most part. Now its down to the current students to help bolster those connections and match great...

Reactions: 3 users
I did my clinical rotations in fresno/tulare/kings counties. My school has had students in the area for over 10 years. We have lost clinical sites in the last 2 years. They have gone to RVU, UCSF students on their valley track, USC, or Caribbean schools. By losing sites, I mean hospitals are signing agreements that do not allow students from any other medical school during third year. I interviewed at hospitals in Fresno for residency, I always asked about opportunities to teach medical students. None of the hospitals mentioned currently having or in the future planning to take CHSU students. They mentioned Touros, Carribean, and RVU. I rotated at UCSF Fresno, faculty members brought up concerns during a meeting with leaderships that they are not in support of allowing CHSU students to rotate there.
"Bolster those connections and match great..." I can imagine that CHSU third years will be paired with preceptors that have limited experience teaching medical students, you will sit around the hospital waiting for any direction on your responsibilities. You won't be working with any residents because CHSU cannot secure those sites. Your fourth year will be 100% on you to schedule via VSAS and you'll be forced to travel to multiple cities in order to secure your sites. You will go on away rotations to "impress GME programs" but won't have the clinical experience to make the impression you want.

I'm just giving a warning, I did not think clinical education was important when I was a pre-med but now that I'm on the other side, it's all that matters. Preclinical years are the same everywhere.
Thanks for your insight on this. This sheds a lot of light on rotations in the area, especially for someone such as yourself who has gone through all these motions.

Again, I respect your opinion but the school has clinical sites on their website. If anyone is wondering where please go check there to make your decision. I know with time, more connections are eventually granted- also RVU and ATSU students rotations are granted thanks to CHSU. They gave it to them to test it out. They mentioned that at the II which means it will be CHSU's. Nice to know your opinion but again two things- A med school is better than none at all and do the HW based on the area and website along with asking current students which I happen to know as well...

Reactions: 3 users
Also if you haven't gotten the PM by Dream1- please request. Another proof of an opinion with current students in the standing along with faculty.

Also- has anyone hear back from recent II's and when are the next II dates?

Also if you haven't gotten the PM by Dream1- please request. Another proof of an opinion with current students in the standing along with faculty.
Hi there, still learning more about this school. Can you send to me as well pls?

is spanish required? It seems like Medical spanish is a required course.