2020-2021 Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So this thread has gotten a bit more active. I've been on the waitlist since December, anybody have any idea on whether or not we can expect significant movement? I know there's still a lot of time, but god this is so stressful. I'm just in complete limbo. I kinda just want to see talk to people and see if anyone has any sort of info, or to just vent.

I know BCOM is known for having significant WL movement in the past, but idk, this pandemic just has me a lot more anxious + knowing there was a significant increase in applicants in general

There's an info session on the 29th I'll be attending, so hopefully they touch on the WL. Good luck to everyone

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
So this thread has gotten a bit more active. I've been on the waitlist since December, anybody have any idea on whether or not we can expect significant movement? I know there's still a lot of time, but god this is so stressful. I'm just in complete limbo. I kinda just want to see talk to people and see if anyone has any sort of info, or to just vent.

I know BCOM is known for having significant WL movement in the past, but idk, this pandemic just has me a lot more anxious + knowing there was a significant increase in applicants in general

There's an info session on the 29th I'll be attending, so hopefully they touch on the WL. Good luck to everyone
I'm also on WL for about a month now. It's such a stressful situation since it's getting closer to the next application cycle.

The pandemic and life situations have also made me a lot more anxious, but trying to stay hopeful every day. Believing that if it is my time, it will happen & that it's no longer in my control helps ( a little lol).

Sending positive vibes to all! :cat:

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
I'm also on WL for about a month now. It's such a stressful situation since it's getting closer to the next application cycle.

The pandemic and life situations have also made me a lot more anxious, but trying to stay hopeful every day. Believing that if it is my time, it will happen & that it's no longer in my control helps ( a little lol).

Sending positive vibes to all! :cat:
Same. Not knowing how many are on the WL just adds to it for me, and they haven't really been all that transparent (like most schools). It is what it is.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Same. Not knowing how many are on the WL just adds to it for me, and they haven't really been all that transparent (like most schools). It is what it is.
Are you not in the FB group for 2021 applicants? A lot of the people in that group are also on the WL and have self-identified as such in their intro posts. That should give you a sense of how large the WL is. Best of luck to you! BCOM is a great school and I for one can't wait to finally move and get started on this amazing journey with everyone :D

Reactions: 1 users
Are you not in the FB group for 2021 applicants? A lot of the people in that group are also on the WL and have self-identified as such in their intro posts. That should give you a sense of how large the WL is. Best of luck to you! BCOM is a great school and I for one can't wait to finally move and get started on this amazing journey with everyone :D
I'm not. It sounds dumb, but I feel like if I know that a lot of people are on the WL like me, then it would just make me feel more anxious. Haha, I'll just wait it out

I’m nervous for my interview today! Any last minute tips? Also how long does it normally take for them to give us a decision?

I’m nervous for my interview today! Any last minute tips? Also how long does it normally take for them to give us a decision?
From the past posts on the thread, it seems to be about 2-3 weeks. My interview was on 4/16, hoping to receive a decision within the next week or 2

Interviewed 4/13, just got the waitlist email. I'm on four different waitlists now, so this should be good for my anxiety :) Anyone know if Burrell has seen any movement and if their waitlist is ranked in any way?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Interviewed 4/13, just got the waitlist email. I'm on four different waitlists now, so this should be good for my anxiety :) Anyone know if Burrell has seen any movement and if their waitlist is ranked in any way?
It seems like WL movement is varied! I have seen some people get off within a week, which was hopeful... However, I've been on WL for a few weeks now.

It seems like WL movement is varied! I have seen some people get off within a week, which was hopeful... However, I've been on WL for a few weeks now.
It's so hard waiting! Glad that a few people got off quickly though. Do you know if it's ranked at all?

The was a fast response! I interviewed 4/16.

Withdrew my A here! For some context, I was put on the waitlist originally then was pulled off 4 days later (n=1 ofc). For those on the waitlist, don't give up hope!

Reactions: 6 users
Withdrew my A here! For some context, I was put on the waitlist originally then was pulled off 4 days later (n=1 ofc). For those on the waitlist, don't give up hope!
Do you mind sharing your stats? Best of luck on whatever you do!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for clarifying and explaining. I don’t entirely understand why the original poster isn’t willing to further comment or answer messages. If there are unique red flags, share them. I know all schools, especially newer schools, have a higher attrition than established schools. I’m sure there is blame to go around.

I hope you end up passing...you seem like a genuinely nice person and we certainly need more doctors like you.
No unique red flags imo, attrition rate is a bit higher as you said. Also, studying with people got more difficult due to isolation in a pandemic. The 2 courses/blocks failed rule is common in some schools as well from what I hear. The rest is stuff that most schools have- like complaints over curricula, some professors, some rules etc

Withdrew my acceptance! Hope it goes to one of you!

Reactions: 9 users
Rising fourth year student at BCOM. The quality of the education at BCOM is on par with the education you would find at most medical schools. In that we all mostly use UFAP with a combination of Savarese. You really get out what you put in, and that goes for the preclinical and clinical curriculum. I think that the effects of the pandemic are weighing on many students, not just here at BCOM, but across the country. I would argue it may explain the numbers of students dropping (though I don't know of any verifiable data that shows the actual numbers). Also, while students may "drop," it could be due to a multitude of reasons: health, family, changed mind, academic difficulties etc. Also many of these students as mentioned above will return the following year. The support for students is there, the dean (from my estimation) is very much on the side of the students, and the ancillary support is there as well. Then of course, there's no denying the rigors of medical school. It is hard, but very much doable.

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
Withdrew my acceptance! Best of luck to you all!

Reactions: 8 users
Withdrawing my A today. Best of luck to the rest of you!

This is a random question but does anyone have any idea how many people are on the waitlist, or at least would be on a traditional DO waitlist at the beginning of May? There has to be some sort of range lol

Reactions: 2 users
This is a random question but does anyone have any idea how many people are on the waitlist, or at least would be on a traditional DO waitlist at the beginning of May? There has to be some sort of range lol
I'd also like to know the answer to this!

I'd also like to know the answer to this!
When I called and asked last week they wouldn’t give me any information about anything related to the waitlist at all. It was disappointing.

• Sad
Hi all! I withdrew my acceptance today hope it goes to one of you. Good luck to all of you!

Reactions: 6 users
waitlisted from a 4/16 interview.

• Care
Got my R last night :/. Good luck everyone else in the running! I'm gonna go get started on my next cycle now...

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
I was accepted off the waitlist last night! It was my first acceptance so I was really happy. Keep the faith alive for those who are waitlisted! There is so much movement happening. I was just waitlisted last week.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 10 users
I was accepted off the waitlist last night! It was my first acceptance so I was really happy. Keep the faith alive for those who are waitlisted! There is so much movement happening. I was just waitlisted last week.
Congratulations!!!
Would you mind sharing your stats?

Did you end up submitting a Letter of Intent?

Just got the call, acceptance after waitlist on 05/05.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
At this point, I have been feeling really discouraged. I have been seeing many people who have been accepted off of the waitlist and interviewed much later than me. Does this mean that I most likely will not get an acceptance from this school?

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Hi,
First off all congrats to all the admitted. I am planning to apply this year to BCOM, however I will be taking my mcat in august. Is it to late? When did you start applying for this cycle.
Also, I have a 3.23 gpa, anyone kinda on the same boat?

Hi,
First off all congrats to all the admitted. I am planning to apply this year to BCOM, however I will be taking my mcat in august. Is it to late? When did you start applying for this cycle.

Shoot your shot but make share it's the best one possible. I have a 3.39 overall GPA with a 3.03 sGPA. No SMP. MBA GPA of 3.83( but don't really mean much since its not science). Anything is possible.

Did u get accepted?
My science GPA is like 3.6
When did you apply?
Mcat?

Last edited:
Hi everyone! I am a rising second year a BCOM. Feel free to message me with any questions you have!
I’ve had a couple people message me already about the optional video—it truly is optional. I didn’t submit one and got in and a lot of my friends didn’t submit one either. I really wanted to submit one when I was applying and kept holding off submitting the secondary until I could do it but never had a chance to do the video and I ended up turning in my secondary maybe a month or two after I received it I don’t recommend doing that. If you have the time and want to do it, go for it! But if you don’t have the time/don’t want to, it’s really not necessary. They mean it when it’s optional!

good luck to everyone this cycle! I look forward to answering as many questions as I can
Hi, what are the true average stats for BCOM. I am from el paso and my GPA is 3.28 sGpa 3.68. I haven't taken the mcat but I am not expecting anything more than average. I have 5 years of military medicine in internal and emergency medicine, currently working as a middle school teacher. Do you know people with similar stats?

Hi,
Hi. I think you should be fine. I finished my secondary for BCOM on 11/30 and got my II on 2/5. I'm sure the upcoming cycle will also be a bit messed up.

Hello all, I have been a long time lurker in Burrell SDN. I am a non-traditional applicant and this cycle, I finally got accepted. It feels strange and refreshing to finally be able to make a post like this. Following all the med school threads over the past couple years, sharing the anxiety and worries with all the other applicants; it was very challenging. One difficult problem with navigating through med school application is, idk what is my true worth, am I overestimating myself or underestimating myself. So knowing that I finally have an acceptance makes everything else slightly less burdensome.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
At this point, I have been feeling really discouraged. I have been seeing many people who have been accepted off of the waitlist and interviewed much later than me. Does this mean that I most likely will not get an acceptance from this school?
I have been seeing this too:( I wonder if they are picking people that have been recently waitlisted because that is all I have seen.

Hi, what are the true average stats for BCOM. I am from el paso and my GPA is 3.28 sGpa 3.68. I haven't taken the mcat but I am not expecting anything more than average. I have 5 years of military medicine in internal and emergency medicine, currently working as a middle school teacher. Do you know people with similar stats?
Screen Shot 2021-05-13 at 9.57.22 AM.png

hope this gives you a better idea. my GPA for my class was waaaaaaaay lower than my class average. just remember that these are AVERAGES. Plenty of people get accepted either lower or higher than this. Also, if you're applying for this new cycle, i believe a thread has been started for the 2021-2022 application cycle :)