2020-2021 Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone have ideas about how Burrell deals with deferral requests? I have just been accepted off from waitlist with them. I love the program but would like to work for a year before starting medical school after my Master degree. I definitely do not want to piss them off or jeopardize my chances of studying there since this is my only acceptance. Any ideas? Is there a downside to asking for deferral? Do they reevaluate your application against the applicant pool for next year or is it guaranteed admission for next year?
If I was in your position I would accept your seat and then request. I don't know how many acceptances you've received but it's not getting any easier to get into medical school. The school does allow deferrals on a case by case basis, but I would rather have an admission and miss a year of work than not have an admission and never get an acceptance again. It's definitely a risk if you're on the lower end of acceptance stats.

edit: see that this is your only acceptance. Unless you think this next year is going to exponentially increase your chances at more A's then put down your deposit and don't look back. If you get a deferral, great, if not then is this job worth not ever becoming a physician?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Can any of the current med students/locals speak on their experiences with the bugs and things of new mexico? I’m coming from a different part of the US, and I’m really scared about finding scorpions, spiders, centipedes, etc in my apartment! Does anyone have any advice on how to prevent them or what to do if you do see them?
Did not have a problem with any of those things even once. I get crickets sometimes for no reason tho haha
I live at the Flats if that helps.

Reactions: 1 user
Can any of the current med students/locals speak on their experiences with the bugs and things of new mexico? I’m coming from a different part of the US, and I’m really scared about finding scorpions, spiders, centipedes, etc in my apartment! Does anyone have any advice on how to prevent them or what to do if you do see them?
I live in el paso. You have nothing to worry about, it is super rare that you will see a Scorpion or centipede if you live in an urban area. If you see them, leave them alone if they are in your home, kill them. I know people from other places thing they are an everyday thing but no.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just received an invite to the WL info session for next week — anyone else attending?

Does anyone know when waitlist movement at BCOM stops? Can people get accepted still until the day of orientation?

Does anyone know when waitlist movement at BCOM stops? Can people get accepted still until the day of orientation?
I spoke to Ms. Natalie Davis (Assistant Director of Admissions) over the phone several times, and she said it could take until even orientation week. She said the waitlist is moving quite a bit, which is normal, and that they can't give any specifics as to where students are placed or their likelihood of an acceptance. As plenty of people have mentioned before, BCOM isn't really telling us much about our chances

Last edited:
  • Okay...
Reactions: 7 users
Withdrew my application this morning. Good luck everyone! ❤️

Will be withdrawing my acceptance shortly! good luck to everyone on the waitlist.

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone’s applicant home page change? Mine has links now to social media pages. I am currently on the waitlist 🙂

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users
Did anyone’s applicant home page change? Mine has links now to social media pages. I am currently on the waitlist 🙂
The page where the other tabs are "interview" and "supplemental" right?

If so, +4

Did anyone else get called by Courtney Lewis today? (Director of Admissions)? I'm sad that I missed her call.

Did anyone else get called by Courtney Lewis today? (Director of Admissions)? I'm sad that I missed her call.
I didn’t— but it sounds like it would be good news !!

It’s been a long time coming but I got off the waitlist 6/17 @2pm Denver time. Just when I was starting to lose hope !!!

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
I called back and was taken to her voicemail.
Check your email! Admissions said that because things are so time sensitive, they will call you and send a confirmation email. I would also check your portal. It sounds like good news if they called you!! *Crossed fingers*

This is just info I thought I'd share with people based on a convo I had awhile back while waiting to hear about any waitlist movement. Just wanted to share some information with fellow waitlisters. Good luck everyone! Hopefully we all make it

Last edited:
Any current students or anyone know of the top 5 apartments to live in? I need recommendations please.

Any current students or anyone know of the top 5 apartments to live in? I need recommendations please.
Ask around in the FB groups, but as of right now a lot of places won't have available units until mid August

is there a dress code (unofficial or official)? what do students typically wear to class?

What would your options be then if you have to move in around July and can’t find housing at the apartments?
Ask around in the FB groups, but as of right now a lot of places won't have available units until mid August

Hi everyone, anything new? Still waiting out this cycle

Anyone else still waiting to get pulled from the waitlist? Kinda losing hope ngl

• Okay...
  • Sad
Reactions: 4 users
Anyone else still waiting to get pulled from the waitlist? Kinda losing hope ngl
Im losing hope, but in the meeting we had a few weeks ago had students that were accepted like a few days before school started— hopefully that’s still true!

• Care
Someone got accepted off the WL 7/1 according to the FB group. Still a chance for movement. Also I believe the admissions office offers feedback on your application if you ask for it

• Care
Someone got accepted off the WL 7/1 according to the FB group. Still a chance for movement. Also I believe the admissions office offers feedback on your application if you ask for it
Not sure if any feedback would help at this very moment, but absolutely helpful for the next cycle. Just don't like how there's no information on where we are placed on the waitlist. I could be the next one up or very last on the list, but I won't know until orientation week. Plus it's already late into the new cycle for anyone who wanted to retake MCAT, myself included. I honestly wouldn't mind driving across the country a day before school starts to continue my dream of medicine. I just hate being held on a leash for so long with little transparency. (mini rant over)

Reactions: 7 users
Not sure if any feedback would help at this very moment, but absolutely helpful for the next cycle. Just don't like how there's no information on where we are placed on the waitlist. I could be the next one up or very last on the list, but I won't know until orientation week. Plus it's already late into the new cycle for anyone who wanted to retake MCAT, myself included. I honestly wouldn't mind driving across the country a day before school starts to continue my dream of medicine. I just hate being held on a leash for so long with little transparency. (mini rant over)
+1 to this

Dont be upset about not getting in the other kids have no idea the uphill battle they are about to have. DM if you want to talk privately about this in depth.
Schools I dont recommend: Nova, Wm Carey, BCOM, ICOM, LUCOM, VCOM-Louisiana, UIW, Rocky Vista, PCOM (new branches)
Schools I love: PCOM (main), Midwestern chicago, des moines , TCOM, UNECOM, KCUMB
Do a post bac and get your gpa, and mcat scores up. dont go to the carribbean whatever you do.
chin up, better to WAIT and attend a good school than being $$$$$ in debt

Reactions: 4 users
If you don’t get in anywhere this cycle, figure out where you need to strengthen (it is often lack of experience) and work on that. I know several students who spent $$$ and time getting a post bacc and still couldn’t get an acceptance. And if you get in to BCOM, count yourself lucky, it’s actually a very nice campus and they’ve had some pretty good matches in their first two graduating classes.

• Dislike
Reactions: 6 users
it is actually not often lack of experience, its almost always a poor gpa or a poor mcat. post bac will offer both PLUS integrate clinical experiences. many more students find success that route because your doing all three in a (hopefully) rigorous program designed to give a taste of the rigor of year 1 of medical school. this is simply bad advice. sorry. if this school is your only acceptance ofc you should accept it, dont be dumb and reject a seat. If you get a better offer go somewhere else. either way fancy facilities wont make up for poor education structure, and thats fact wherever you go. if your paying thousands of dollars make sure the school you go to helps you succeed from all avenues. if you need a list of good post bacs DM me and ill be happy to help you out.
And im just going to leave this here: COMLEX Level 1 First Time Pass Rates - 2012-2016
Anymore inquires DM me privately! :)

Last edited:
You actually downvoted my comment? smh.

A serious applicant must be well-rounded. If you focus on just one area of your app, you probably won’t even get an interview. My advice is solid…figure out where you are weak and work on that.

That chart needs updating, BCOM lists a 90% first time pass rate for 2020/2021.

Seeing as you havent started attending the school yet, it would be wise to listen at least even with a grain of salt? So i started typing some facts out, but I'm aware of rising anxiety levels. You'll find out sooner or later whether its from me or someone else. I would just say right now to enjoy your summer and be happy, you'll have the rest of the academic year to be stressed out anyways!

Last edited:
I am not sure why you assume that I will be attending BCOM (or any medical school) as the days of being a student or applicant are long past. Therefore, I don’t have “anxiety” and I will continue to give the same professional advice: If you do not get an acceptance, figure out what where your weak spot(s) are and work on improving those specific areas. And congratulations if you have already been accepted, you have much to be proud of.

• Hmm
So why are you just lurking and posting on this thread, instead of being tagged with a physician badge on SDN (assuming you are one??) and giving general advice on main threads like Goro? Every single one of your posts are bcom related which means either your an aspiring applicant, or an admin of the school, or a current student. Second of all then in that case you shouldn't give advice in regards to this particular school as you HAVE NO IDEA what its like to attend here in recent years, or what medical education is like now if you are years removed from it, and I have no idea why you take interest in this particular school out of the 1000s out there. third I was being really nice and trying to diffuse the situation and your hellbent on escalating it. Fourth I never accused you have HAVING anxiety and that was not directed at you specifically but you chose to take it incredibly personally. Fifth reason yes I downvoted you because I do not agree with your advice and simply indicated my disagreement. You indicated most applicants lack experience (I disagree) PLUS indicated you knew many that didnt get in after a postbac, and I felt compelled to disagree as that is the single most important way for someone to get into med school and I would HATE for someone to waste another year not doing one and trying to do DIY programs, or cause people to think perhaps its not worth it when it ABSOLUTELY IS. And just to prove my point many at BCOM AND other DO/MD schools have finished a Postbac. My posts are for those that reached out to me in private and appreciate hearing what I have to say. If you have such a wonderful opinion of the school, then great, talk about why and let others hear you out too. No need to shoot other people's opinions down. It just feels like your not willing to listen. we all have a right to be heard. We just want incoming students to be prepared and as successful as possible, that is what matters. lets agree to disagree and not cause further tension on here unnecessarily. I will not be responding to you in specific anymore, we can carry this convo in private if you like.

edit: i call BS and rofl. anyways for those that care, match results and pass rates are low compared to other DO schools. Thats just facts. some will tell you its your responsibility to pass boards, some will say its the school and they need to provide more direction. you guys can form your own opinions. Expect sem 1 to increase in difficulty as it progresses, and level off towards the end. Watch out for renal at the beginning of the 2nd sem. Get Pretest and BRS and first aid. Youll have one prof that wont use lecture slides at times and teaches auditorily. Download Anki and learn how to use it. Get used to watching lectures at 1.75x or 2x speed. try not to fail 1st sem, its gonna be really tough not having thanksgiving and christmas break. keep up with OMM, its hard juggling the two (ESP in year 2 speaking from experience) dont neglect it your setting yourself up for failure. most importantly focus on you. Its tough when people fail out and leave.... it takes a toll on the whole class. Support each other dont bring each other down. elect good SGA members to talk to admin on your behalf (you'll need them to get anything done). try to keep your sanity and dont drink yourself to oblivion every post exam. if your struggling go to tutoring, if tutoring not available go ask a friend/classmate. but really for now really enjoy break dont think about school you wont have much breaks when it starts. go to office hours and figure out who'll help and who wont, then ask q's and advice from those that will. reach out to the incoming 2nd years (im moving to third now) theyll have some resources every unit. Go talk to miley/steph. keep a strict schedule and i cant emphasize this enough (exercise and SLEEP) srsly my friend locked herself up for three weeks straight in cardio she didnt see daylight not good. get fresh air. im posting mostly 1st year stuff cuz you guys need to pass a whole year first 2nd year is a different beast and youll get there in time. and if u do fail a block dont feel stupid, there's actually a lot who do so try not to dwell on it and just pass. Be nice to the repeating kids in your incoming class they're doing this all over again for a second time and if they dont wanna identify themselves dont be snobby and figure out who they are. Just be nice and help each other out. i recommend waiting after cardio in 1st sem to get super involved in clubs and extracurriculars.....

Last edited:
Your assumptions are, once again, incorrect. I have researched this school (and a few others) for a current mentee of mine and I have spoken to some faculty and students and thus have direct knowledge and an interest.

Also, I never said that I knew “many” who didn’t get in to medical school after obtaining a post bacc, I said “several”. I also never said “most” applicants lack experience but rather that it is often an issue for those who did not get an acceptance; strong academics are not enough in this very competitive environment. Changing my words doesn‘t change my professional advice which is to bolster where you are weak. Good luck to all.

• Haha