2020-2021 Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have been seeing this too:( I wonder if they are picking people that have been recently waitlisted because that is all I have seen.
Yea maybe this is a coincidence?

Members don't see this ad.

For those feeling discouraged, I empathize. This is my second time on the waitlist. I thought I had made marked improvement this time around on my application and was obviously disappointed when my interview results came back. I really want to go to this school and if it's meant to be, it will happen. In the mean time, I would also prepare for alternatives like reapplying, improving your application, etc. I waited too long last time to take those steps because I had hope for the waitlist. I am a better person having gone through that experience and what I did to improve myself overall. I wish everyone the best of luck. With the right heart and intentions, we all worked hard. I am proud of how far we have come.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
I have been waitlisted since march. As a Latino, I was very excited to apply to Burrell. Their mission explicitly says that they want to increase the physician workforce diversity for Latinx and Native American Physicians. However, from what I can gather from their Facebook page for this cycle that is not what is happening. Almost every person that has announced their acceptance on that FB page is not Latinx or Native American. I celebrate all of my brothers and sisters of color getting into school, but I am just calling it as I see it. If you say your going to focus on getting Latinx/Native people into medicine then do it.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have been waitlisted since march. As a Latino, I was very excited to apply to Burrell. Their mission explicitly says that they want to increase the physician workforce diversity for Latinx and Native American Physicians. However, from what I can gather from their Facebook page for this cycle that is not what is happening. Almost every person that has announced their acceptance on that FB page is not Latinx or Native American. I celebrate all of my brothers and sisters of color getting into school, but I am just calling it as I see it. If you say your going to focus on getting Latinx/Native people into medicine then do it.
I just want to say that not everyone who is accepted is 1) on the FB page or 2) posting about it on the FB page or even here. Burrell has one of the highest URM matriculant percentages of all DO schools (last I saw, it was the 2nd highest). Additionally, one cannot always judge someones race based on their name/picture. It's a really broad, generalized statement to say that "this cycle that is not what is happening." I absolutely love looking at my classmates and seeing such a diverse group of students, each of us with such unique experiences, that are my colleagues. It's something I never had at my high school, undergrad, or graduate school.

I feel for those of you still on the waitlist, I really do. I myself was waitlisted when I applied. I'm rooting for all of you!! People my year got accepted *the week of orientation* which is still 2 months away!! But just remember that what you see on social media/SDN is never the whole picture. Good luck everyone and I hope this helps.

Reactions: 5 users
I just want to say that not everyone who is accepted is 1) on the FB page or 2) posting about it on the FB page or even here. Burrell has one of the highest URM matriculant percentages of all DO schools (last I saw, it was the 2nd highest). Additionally, one cannot always judge someones race based on their name/picture. It's a really broad, generalized statement to say that "this cycle that is not what is happening." I absolutely love looking at my classmates and seeing such a diverse group of students, each of us with such unique experiences, that are my colleagues. It's something I never had at my high school, undergrad, or graduate school.

I feel for those of you still on the waitlist, I really do. I myself was waitlisted when I applied. I'm rooting for all of you!! People my year got accepted *the week of orientation* which is still 2 months away!! But just remember that what you see on social media/SDN is never the whole picture. Good luck everyone and I hope this helps.
I appreciate that perspective and I receive it. Thank you for checking me for reals. I can understand that the perspective I've gathered from the information that is available to me is limited. Well, I agree that Burrell's number of Latinx students in impressive overall for DO schools 25% (got this from BUrrells institutional snapshot) is the greatest percentage to date of Latinx students that Burrell has admitted in any of its cycles. That is just not enough, period. Even if every med school in the county accepted only Latinx students it would take us 100 years to meet the physician workforce diversity needs that Latinx communities across the US. I have been at the front lines of this fight against COVID-19 and Latino, black, and native peoples are bearing the brunt of it. The same communities that continue to be underrepresented in medicine. Again, I do hear what you are saying but the only people that are going to return to underserved communities and stay there to practice medicine and advocate for them are historically underrepresented first-generation minority low-income physicians. As a kid growing up in poverty I had tons of well-meaning people come into my community to make things "better" that did not stick around. I love Burrell and its mission Im just tired of waiting for someone to take us seriously has URM applicants. We have the trust of our communities, and trustworthy means having a presence in the community.

Reactions: 3 users
At this point, I have been feeling really discouraged. I have been seeing many people who have been accepted off of the waitlist and interviewed much later than me. Does this mean that I most likely will not get an acceptance from this school?
I really feel this. Been waitlisted since February and I've been feeling discouraged more and more recently after not hearing back. Really fell in love with the school at the interview and thought I did decent. I guess not haha

I appreciate that perspective and I receive it. Thank you for checking me for reals. I can understand that the perspective I've gathered from the information that is available to me is limited. Well, I agree that Burrell's number of Latinx students in impressive overall for DO schools 25% (got this from BUrrells institutional snapshot) is the greatest percentage to date of Latinx students that Burrell has admitted in any of its cycles. That is just not enough, period. Even if every med school in the county accepted only Latinx students it would take us 100 years to meet the physician workforce diversity needs that Latinx communities across the US. I have been at the front lines of this fight against COVID-19 and Latino, black, and native peoples are bearing the brunt of it. The same communities that continue to be underrepresented in medicine. Again, I do hear what you are saying but the only people that are going to return to underserved communities and stay there to practice medicine and advocate for them are historically underrepresented first-generation minority low-income physicians. As a kid growing up in poverty I had tons of well-meaning people come into my community to make things "better" that did not stick around. I love Burrell and its mission Im just tired of waiting for someone to take us seriously has URM applicants. We have the trust of our communities, and trustworthy means having a presence in the community.
I don’t disagree with anything that you are saying at all. I agree with all of it. I just wanted to make sure you were aware that not everyone is posting on the pages and to not be so quick to assume that URM weren’t being accepted because they (I should say we as I am a part of that group) are. But I 100% agree that 25% isn’t enough, not for any school.

Reactions: 1 users
I don’t disagree with anything that you are saying at all. I agree with all of it. I just wanted to make sure you were aware that not everyone is posting on the pages and to not be so quick to assume that URM weren’t being accepted because they (I should say we as I am a part of that group) are. But I 100% agree that 25% isn’t enough, not for any school.
That means that only 41/165 seats will go to Latinx Students, and there are even fewer Black students than Latinx at Burrell. President Hummer said that a distinguishing feature of the school is that there is diversity from the very top to the bottom of the school and I love that. As a Latinx person, I am holding all Latinx people of the diaspora that are currently accepted and in med school to fight for us. Those who have been given the power to speak up and make a change need to take that responsibility as seriously as they do their studies. I am not giving up and I do not want any of my raza to ever give up their dream of becoming a physician, but we need to work together to really realize a future for our Raza that includes access to quality, compassion centered, culturally and linguistically congruent care. Si se puede

Reactions: 1 user
Just got the A but I'm gonna turn it down. Got accepted into a school in my state. Good luck everyone

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How quickly was the login information to pay for the seat deposit released or did it actually take 72 hours to release after accepting the offer?

How quickly was the login information to pay for the seat deposit released or did it actually take 72 hours to release after accepting the offer?
It was quick. You pay on the portal that you got the interview and submitted the supplements

I think you're misplacing the blame. If you look at AAMC data on matriculants based on GPA/MCAT + Race/Ethnicity, you'll see that the average stats to be competitive are lower for URMs, which means that schools are making a conscious effort to admit URMs to increase diversity in medicine. But there's only so much they can do. Schools, first and foremost, want to ensure they're accepting people who will be successful in graduating and matching, regardless of what race they are. If there simply aren't enough URMs applying with stats that ensure confidence in that regard, then there's nothing a school can really do about that. Now if you get into why there aren't as many URMs applying above the stat threshold to instill confidence in being successful, that's a different discussion that I think goes a lot deeper into the issues in our country, but I don't think you can just blame the schools with the data we have.

I waited until the last day and ended up having to pay over the phone

I waited until the last day and ended up having to pay over the phone
Can you elaborate the process of paying the seat deposit via phone? From what I know, you directly call the person in Bursur and they process the credit card payment for you via phone. But it costs an extra $50 ish fee. Is that correct?

Thank you in advance.

Can you elaborate the process of paying the seat deposit via phone? From what I know, you directly call the person in Bursur and they process the credit card payment for you via phone. But it costs an extra $50 ish fee. Is that correct?

Thank you in advance.
I had to pay a $53 convenience fee but I’m not sure if that was because it was over the phone or not. But yes that was the process, a little annoying and I had to give my credit card info twice because the deposit and the convenience fees were two different transactions.

Hi,
First off all congrats to all the admitted. I am planning to apply this year to BCOM, however I will be taking my mcat in august. Is it to late? When did you start applying for this cycle.
Also, I have a 3.23 gpa, anyone kinda on the same boat?
Hey! in all honesty August is on the later side to take your MCAT because the score takes a while. I submitted my primary application in the end of June and had nearly all of my secondaries done by September. If the reality is you can’t take it any sooner it is what it is. But make sure your primary app is completely done and try to prewrite secondaries. 😊

I had to pay a $53 convenience fee but I’m not sure if that was because it was over the phone or not. But yes that was the process, a little annoying and I had to give my credit card info twice because the deposit and the convenience fees were two different transactions.
I mailed in my check. I hope that wouldn't cause any issue. It did cost $8.00, but still cheaper than $53.00 convenience fee.

At this point, I have been feeling really discouraged. I have been seeing many people who have been accepted off of the waitlist and interviewed much later than me. Does this mean that I most likely will not get an acceptance from this school?
I met others like that too, but I made sure to avoid this forum while I waited bec I thought I might feel bad as well. I was a 2nd-time med school applicant and I got accepted with 4 weeks to spare last year, and even then some people got accepted after me. I even started getting ready for the next cycle bec of how long I waited (January interview and waitlisted for 5 months or so). Be ready for the possibility of not getting in, but retain hope regardless, that is what I did.

I want to express two major points here. First, keep the faith, I waited over 6 months for an II. I waited even longer to get off the waitlist for an acceptance. On to my second point, being Latin does not equate to an automatic acceptance. I myself am not of Latin descent, however, this region is where I have been for many years and where I desire to practice thereafter. Not being of Latin descent does not make anyone less deserving of serving the Latin community in this region or more deserving of an admission. The school, in my opinion, is committed to and wants "to increase the physician workforce diversity for Latinx and Native American Physicians" but that statement does not stipulate that the increase in the number of physicians will only come from the addition of LatinX/Native American physicians. I was not aware that I had to be one of these subdivisions in order to serve this community. In the end I guess my point is, you do not have to be any one thing to serve a certain population. You only have to have the desire to serve that population. Your post makes it seem as if you feel entitled based on genetics. It's not about genetics, it's about the desire to serve and affect change in the capacity that you are able to.

Reactions: 6 users
Firstly, congratulations that's awesome news! Secondly, I have similar stats so this also gives me some hope haha.
Same! 🤞🏼

anyone able to call and see how many are on the waitlist? Or do they not tell you?

Other schools were able to say top 50%, etc

Same! 🤞🏼

anyone able to call and see how many are on the waitlist? Or do they not tell you?

Other schools were able to say top 50%, etc
From what I was told, they can’t divulge any information about where you are on the list.

• Sad
The class size will be 162 right? Does anyone know about how many students are already in the class? Are they close to being filled up? And did everyone who interviewed get waitlisted if they were not accepted?

The class size will be 162 right? Does anyone know about how many students are already in the class? Are they close to being filled up? And did everyone who interviewed get waitlisted if they were not accepted?
The facebook group for accepted students is 131 but that also includes a handful of faculty/current students i believe

The facebook group for accepted students is 131 but that also includes a handful of faculty/current students i believe
I know a few accepted students who said they were not apart of the facebook page yet.

Long-time lurker here. Interviewed 3/8, waitlisted 3/26. GPAc 3.65, GPAs 3.45, MCAT 499.
Sent a LOI already. This school is basically my only shot left. I have another waitlist but I was told my chances are very slim there. I don't know if my chances at BCOM are any better though. They're not giving much info on where I'm placed either. Already planning on retaking MCAT and reapplying. Good luck to everyone out there, it's a rough road but well worth waiting (I hope).

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Had to withdraw my A today but I hope it goes to one of you on the waitlist!!

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
Got the call today at 7:05 pm CST. I interviewed 02/22 and have been on the waitlist since 03/12

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Got the call today at 7:05 pm CST. I interviewed 02/22 and have been on the waitlist since 03/12
Congrats!! IS there something you did since you were WL (like letters of update/intent)?

CONGRATS!! That is awesome!! I see you also got accepted to other schools. Are you going to go to BCOM?

Congratulations!!! Do you mind sharing your stats?
Stats are cgpa: 3.66, sgpa: 3.52, smp gpa: 3.52; mcat: 494,499,500. ORM from Texas but I have ties to the area

• Love
CONGRATS!! That is awesome!! I see you also got accepted to other schools. Are you going to go to BCOM?
Thanks! I declined the seat a few minutes ago. I needed the last few days to figure out what I was going to do. It's a great program, I hope the seat goes to one of yall :)

• Care
Thanks! I declined the seat a few minutes ago. I needed the last few days to figure out what I was going to do. It's a great program, I hope the seat goes to one of yall :)
Has anyone have ideas about how Burrell deals with deferral requests? I have just been accepted off from waitlist with them. I love the program but would like to work for a year before starting medical school after my Master degree. I definitely do not want to piss them off or jeopardize my chances of studying there since this is my only acceptance. Any ideas? Is there a downside to asking for deferral? Do they reevaluate your application against the applicant pool for next year or is it guaranteed admission for next year?

Has anyone have ideas about how Burrell deals with deferral requests? I have just been accepted off from waitlist with them. I love the program but would like to work for a year before starting medical school after my Master degree. I definitely do not want to piss them off or jeopardize my chances of studying there since this is my only acceptance. Any ideas? Is there a downside to asking for deferral? Do they reevaluate your application against the applicant pool for next year or is it guaranteed admission for next year?
I hope someone more knowledgeable answers you, but have you tried asking BCOM Admissions hypothetically? I mean, they accepted you bec they like you enough, so asking them seems harmless to me. I heard whispers of 1 upperclassman who deferred once or twice before joining Class of 2023. But hey, maybe that is a totally naive idea lols- I don't personally know.

Stats are cgpa: 3.66, sgpa: 3.52, smp gpa: 3.52; mcat: 494,499,500. ORM from Texas but I have ties to the area
Thank you for sharing your stats! Wish you all the best on your medical school journey!!

Congratulations in being accepted off the waitlist!! Hope you are able to defer your admission to Burrell!:)
When were you placed on the waitlist?
Do you mind sharing your stats?

Can any of the current med students/locals speak on their experiences with the bugs and things of new mexico? I’m coming from a different part of the US, and I’m really scared about finding scorpions, spiders, centipedes, etc in my apartment! Does anyone have any advice on how to prevent them or what to do if you do see them?

Last edited:
Congratulations in being accepted off the waitlist!! Hope you are able to defer your admission to Burrell!:)
When were you placed on the waitlist?
Do you mind sharing your stats?
Interviewed in April and placed on wait list end of April.

• Love
Can any of the current med students/locals speak on their experiences with the bugs and things of new mexico? I’m coming from a different part of the US, and I’m really scared about finding scorpions, spiders, centipedes, etc in my apartment! Does anyone have any advice on how to prevent them or what to do if you do see them?
i haven't seen any of these in my apartment and only saw a tarantula once while on a hike. if you go hiking, wear appropriate shoes. but as long as you have a clean apartment, you shouldn't have any critters.