2020-2021 Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Email received today:

The Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine Office of Admissions would like to invite you to attend one of our Virtual Open House events this year. During this event you will have the opportunity to learn more about our campus and admissions process from our Director of Admissions, Mrs. Kelly DeWitt.

But still no secondary :[

Reactions: 2 users
Email received today:

The Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine Office of Admissions would like to invite you to attend one of our Virtual Open House events this year. During this event you will have the opportunity to learn more about our campus and admissions process from our Director of Admissions, Mrs. Kelly DeWitt.

Sameeeee

Members don't see this ad :)
Email received today:

Ayeeeee got that too, I was so excited for a second but it was not the secondary. Whatever, I signed up, maybe the director can see I am interested in her program.

Ayeeeee got that too, I was so excited for a second but it was not the secondary. Whatever, I signed up, maybe the director can see I am interested in her program.

This is the second time that’s happened. Both had invite in the message and I got super excited. Bummmmmerrrere

Got the interview invite this morning! Super excited :)

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
With people already getting interviews, it would kinda be nice to receive my secondary prior to receiving invitations to open houses and biochem masters programs....or is the school trying to tell me something?

With people already getting interviews, it would kinda be nice to receive my secondary prior to receiving invitations to open houses and biochem masters programs....or is the school trying to tell me something?
I got II weeks ago and also got the open house invitation today as well. Probably not a silent R.

I got II weeks ago and also got the open house invitation today as well. Probably not a silent R.

Today marks exactly a month since I submitted my primary. Not holding out much hope....

Reactions: 1 user
Lolol I didn't even get the open house email kinda losing hope here..

Members don't see this ad :)
My gmail labelled everything coming from ARCOM under "promotion", check if that's the case for you
I didn't have a promotion tab so I added one but that just moved some emails from my primary inbox to promotion. I think your promotions tab just contains some emails that would have gone to your primary inbox if you didn't have a promotions tab, and that your primary inbox would have everything including promotions emails if you didn't have the promotions tab. Thanks for the heads up tho!

My gmail labelled everything coming from ARCOM under "promotion", check if that's the case for you

I have gotten several emails from different addresses at ARCOM (different admissions advisors sending info about the DO waiver, receipt of documents, etc), but the virtual tour invite email today went to my junk mail, so make sure you are checking there for any communication from the school!

I just had my AACOMAS application verified last week and had not heard if they received it at ARCOM, so I called and they do have it but it hasn’t been reviewed yet because they are super busy at the moment. So don’t lose hope yet if you haven’t heard anything!!!

Does anyone have a copy of the DO waiver form, I received the email but no luck with the attachment? Just signed up for the open house on the 19th but need to send in the waiver for my application to be complete and ready for review.

For those of you who have gotten interiews moved to virtual ones, did anyone get any details on how this would be done? I was just told i would get the details the day before, which i must say is making me anxious.

For those of you who have gotten interiews moved to virtual ones, did anyone get any details on how this would be done? I was just told i would get the details the day before, which i must say is making me anxious.
when I called the office, they told me to send an email to admissions. What did you need to do to get approved? Just wondering because I am waiting for a response to my email!

when I called the office, they told me to send an email to admissions. What did you need to do to get approved? Just wondering because I am waiting for a response to my email!
I just explained that as a NY resident if I went to my interview there i woukd be forced to quarantine for 2 weeks. They were very understanding and accomidating

Can someone please let me know what their secondary prompts for this application cycle along with the word count? I scrolled through all the pages and didn't see the prompts. Thanks s o much

primary submitted: 8/8

email saying i’ll receive a secondary in the next 24 hours received today: 8/10

Anyone know why this school is so slow at sending secondaries? I was verified on 6/29 and since then I've received a happy 4th of july and virtual fair email lmao but no secondary :annoyed:

Anyone know why this school is so slow at sending secondaries? I was verified on 6/29 and since then I've received a happy 4th of july and virtual fair email lmao but no secondary :annoyed:
secondary from ARCOM almost always equal to an II, if previous pattern persist.

They seem to be very selective with secondaries. The good news is once you receive a secondary you are pretty much certain you will get an interview.

for those who have received a secondary, how long did it actually take to get the link after the "you'll receive an official secondary link in the next 24 hours" email?

I've said this many times previously. They don't just send secondaries by default to everybody that sends in an application like other schools. They send secondaries to people they currently want to interview because they actually review your primary application thoroughly. Basically if you receive a secondary and you complete it, you're going to get an interview invite assuming you don't completely mess up your secondary essays. You could get a secondary invite tomorrow or all the way in March when they have their last interview sessions. Or you could get silently rejected.

People keep asking about that, but I can't keep on replying every time. People need to start reading the thread.

for those who have received a secondary, how long did it actually take to get the link after the "you'll receive an official secondary link in the next 24 hours" email?

I got the “expect an email in 24hrs” email yesterday just like you. I never got the follow up though. I just got on my personal ARCOM portal thing this morning and the secondary was sitting there waiting on me, so try that!

I got the “expect an email in 24hrs” email yesterday just like you. I never got the follow up though. I just got on my personal ARCOM portal thing this morning and the secondary was sitting there waiting on me, so try that!
i never got the link to the portal though :/

how did you get access to it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys, just wanted to give my two cents.

I'm currently a student at ARCOM and I must say, if I had known how the state of Arkansas and the school itself had planned for COVID, I would have chosen one of the other schools I got into. I had a lot of high hopes when I moved to the south. I am very disappointed to say the least, as we are in lecture halls with ~160 students just with a mask on but definitely less than 6 feet apart. It is more like 6 inches. Yes, they screen upon entry but there are quite a few inconsistencies. We are in a PANDEMIC. If some of the BEST medical schools in the country can go online fully, with relatively no issues, it is really unfathomable for me as to why we can't go online even partially. There is no reason to have mandatory lecture attendance when we could just as well be doing the same thing from home, with less contact with others and therefore lower risk of getting the virus. The cases on campus are also going up; there were 6 cases yesterday and today there are 8. Coming from a hard-hit part of the country, it just feels as though the virus is not being taken as seriously as it should. I'm all for in-person exams, labs, and OMM classes, but I really, really do not see the justification for lectures that can be done online, be in person. Atleast, the decision to attend lectures should be optional. With cases going up, I feel as though the school should go online with lectures sooner rather than later.

I've found a great group of peers that I connect with but like anywhere else, you must be VERY weary of gunners. They will try to put themselves on a pedestal at the expense of others. Some will show any comments you make that are critical of the admin, to the faculty. Super weird. No one likes gunners. Please don't be a gunner.

With that being said, I do not want to deter you from choosing this school. Just be very mindful of what you want individually. Many students abhor the mandatory lectures and although the professional attire dress code isn't horrible, it's just another extra thing you got to worry about in the day. Many of the faculty are super, super friendly and helpful. I actually like them a lot as they are always willing to teach and help you out. The support services, such as academic affairs and student services are absolutely great and always willing to provide guidance.

I probably will be too busy to post/check this again, but that is my two cents. Just make sure you talk to a bunch of current students instead of just the student ambassadors; at the end of the day all schools are trying to sell themselves, so you won't really get a full picture of what you are getting into until you hear multiple perspectives. Good luck to you guys in this unprecedented application cycle; it is definitely nervewrecking but y'all got this. Keep your head up and push through; the white coat will be worth the wait :)

Reactions: 4 users
i never got the link to the portal though :/

how did you get access to it?

It’s been a while but I think I somehow accessed the “portal set up wizard” or whatever it’s called from the ARCOM website directly, I don’t think there was a link emailed to me or anything to access it. I then just copied the url and saved it and I go back and check it now and then to see if anything has changed.

However, if you can’t find it, just call admissions and let them know you never got the secondary email.

It’s been a while but I think I somehow accessed the “portal set up wizard” or whatever it’s called from the ARCOM website directly, I don’t think there was a link emailed to me or anything to access it. I then just copied the url and saved it and I go back and check it now and then to see if anything has changed.

However, if you can’t find it, just call admissions and let them know you never got the secondary email.
yeah i emailed them! apparently the email address they have on file is “invalid” so they sent it to me directly.

Nobody has replied back to my post about secondary prompts. I know you are really busy, but can you please let me know what the secondary prompts are for this application cycle? thank you so much. And CONGRATS!

They are the same as the previous year.
  • Please describe a difficult time in your life and how you overcame it. Limit your response to 2-3 paragraphs.
  • Please tell us about a time you felt proud. A narrative is not required, please simply list specialties of interest.
  • ARCOM students can choose residencies in a wide range of specialties. if you had to pick today, what top 2 specialties would you be interested in learning more about?

They are the same as the previous year.
  • Please describe a difficult time in your life and how you overcame it. Limit your response to 2-3 paragraphs.
  • Please tell us about a time you felt proud. A narrative is not required, please simply list specialties of interest.
  • ARCOM students can choose residencies in a wide range of specialties. if you had to pick today, what top 2 specialties would you be interested in learning more about?
Thanks for your quick reply. What are the character/word counts? and for the last question, does it ask me to simply list the 2 specialties? I"m a little bit confused, because it seems like the part "please simply list specialties of interest" belongs to the question 3.

Last edited:
Hey, guys! I have a question about interviews here. I'm scheduled for one on campus on August 18th, and I honestly don't know if I should go. I live in an area that's becoming a hotspot, even had a close coworker test positive. Do you think they would consider a virtual interview option? Would that hurt my chances at the school? Can anyone with more knowledge weigh in on this lol?

I submitted 7/7. In response to my email of 8/5, admissions advised that my application is "still pending review." Any sense of what this means?

I submitted 7/7. In response to my email of 8/5, admissions advised that my application is "still pending review." Any sense of what this means?
Its still waiting for Adcoms (admission comittee) to review your application to determine whether or not to move forward

Its still waiting for Adcoms (admission comittee) to review your application to determine whether or not to move forward

I kind of gathered that, lol. My inquiry was intended to understand their process more regarding timing of secondaries. Is there a point at which I am getting the silent "R"?

I kind of gathered that, lol. My inquiry was intended to understand their process more regarding timing of secondaries. Is there a point at which I am getting the silent "R"?
Oh :p

I wouldn't be too concerned yet!

Silent R will be like me, my app was submitted may and no word from them, so one can reasonably say I got the silent R. So you got some time to wait, don't worry so much.

Hey, guys! I have a question about interviews here. I'm scheduled for one on campus on August 18th, and I honestly don't know if I should go. I live in an area that's becoming a hotspot, even had a close coworker test positive. Do you think they would consider a virtual interview option? Would that hurt my chances at the school? Can anyone with more knowledge weigh in on this lol?
They allowed me and few others to do a virtual. They were very nice about it, as to whether this will hurt our chances? Who knows, its harder to make an impression through a computer. But given the situation i would hope they dont hold it against us.

Can anybody who has interviewed during this cycle (or perhaps last year) give us an overview of how the interview is conducted? Is it true that you spend from 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. at the facility and the interview consists of a closed file interview where you spend half an hour with an admissions counselor and half an hour with a community member? Any details on the interview and the itinerary from 8 a.m.-1 p.m. would be greatly appreciated!!!

FYI there are 12 cases of the virus on campus today. There were 8 cases yesterday. Who knows how many others are asymptomatic. And we are still sitting side by side in lecture hall. Now is one of those times that really make me wish I chose a more health-focused school.

• Sad
  • Wow