2020-2021 Arizona - Phoenix

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Agreed, especially if you were verified in July. It took 2 weeks as OOS to hear back from them and I was verified at the end of August.
Okay, I'll send them an email! I didn't want to bother them but I guess it won't hurt. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I was complete really early like mid-July and have gotten radio silence since then. IS, 71 LM...should I be worried? It’s definitely difficult watching people get II’s who were complete after you.
Let's run some numbers...
Last year, AZ had 779 IS applicants and offered 180 IS interviews. This means that they interviewed 23.1% of IS applicants. As of Monday, this school has 799 IS "applications received" and has offered 46 IS interviews. This means that, even though virtually the same number of applicants have applied, just 5.9% of this year's IS applicants have been offered interviews, which is a lot less than last year's 23.1%. Even though more applicants than last year have applied (2.6% more), they have only offered 46/180 IS interviews that they will likely offer (25.6%). They still have yet to give out 74.4% of IS II, so you definitely should not be worried about it!

Also, the class size is increasing 25% this year, but I can assure you that the number of IS applicants will not be increasing that much. This means that you have an even better chance of getting an II because they will be interviewing more people to fill more seats!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
Let's run some numbers...
Last year, AZ had 779 IS applicants and offered 180 IS interviews. This means that they interviewed 23.1% of IS applicants. As of Monday, this school has 799 IS "applications received" and has offered 46 IS interviews. This means that, even though virtually the same number of applicants have applied, just 5.9% of this year's IS applicants have been offered interviews, which is a lot less than last year's 23.1%. Even though more applicants than last year have applied (2.6% more), they have only offered 46/180 IS interviews that they will likely offer (25.6%). They still have yet to give out 94.4% of IS II, so you definitely should not be worried about it!

Also, the class size is increasing 25% this year, but I can assure you that the number of IS applicants will not be increasing that much. This means that you have an even better chance of getting an II because they will be interviewing more people to fill more seats!
Thanks so much for such a thorough and reassuring reply!

Members don't see this ad :)
For those that have already attended the mixer and VAVD, how was it?

For those that have already attended the mixer and VAVD, how was it?
Mixer: It was very laid back and was a nice chance to talk to current M2s and also meet a few of your fellow applicants. I'm pretty sure it has no impact on admissions decisions, so don't stress -- just enjoy asking questions and listening to what people have to say.

VAVD: Again, no reason to stress over this. It was a series of presentations by UA - Phx faculty, followed by ~10 minutes or so of time to ask questions. If you really want to have your question answered, I would suggest being ready to type "I have a question" in the zoom chat right when the presentation ends. There were a couple times that nearly 20 people wanted to ask a question, and they ran out of time to get to everyone, so heads up. But overall, it was quite informative and laid-back, I really enjoyed the virtual visit day.

If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to try and answer them for you!

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
First II just now!! IS LM 74.9 complete 9/8

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Mixer: It was very laid back and was a nice chance to talk to current M2s and also meet a few of your fellow applicants. I'm pretty sure it has no impact on admissions decisions, so don't stress -- just enjoy asking questions and listening to what people have to say.

VAVD: Again, no reason to stress over this. It was a series of presentations by UA - Phx faculty, followed by ~10 minutes or so of time to ask questions. If you really want to have your question answered, I would suggest being ready to type "I have a question" in the zoom chat right when the presentation ends. There were a couple times that nearly 20 people wanted to ask a question, and they ran out of time to get to everyone, so heads up. But overall, it was quite informative and laid-back, I really enjoyed the virtual visit day.

If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to try and answer them for you!

Thank you so much for the insight! I received an II today and was wondering more about your experience with VITA?
Is this the only formal interview for UA Phoenix?

Hey guys! Just received II today. Nevada resident, complete 8/3/2020. I was wondering if anyone had some insight on the school’s prereqs. Specifically whether or not the school requires 2 semesters of anatomy and physiology prior to matriculation. I have graduated already and I only completed the first semester of A&P along with a separate comparative animal physiology course. Are there any current students that were in a similar situation that can speak to whether the second semester of A&P is required? Thanks!

Hey guys! Just received II today. Nevada resident, complete 8/3/2020. I was wondering if anyone had some insight on the school’s prereqs. Specifically whether or not the school requires 2 semesters of anatomy and physiology prior to matriculation. I have graduated already and I only completed the first semester of A&P along with a separate comparative animal physiology course. Are there any current students that were in a similar situation that can speak to whether the second semester of A&P is required? Thanks!
They only require 1 semester of "Human or Mammalian Physiology". Only the Tucson campus (totally different application/school in AMCAS) requires a second semester.

Source: MD Admission Requirements - Academic | The University of Arizona College of Medicine – Phoenix

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I’m just confused on how you can express interest in the school if they use VITA where you’re responses get sent to every school that uses same program
The way AAMC describes it is that most med schools are looking at those 5 or 6 core competencies that get evaluated during the interview. If the school wasn't worried about asking "why us" questions, my guess is that they wouldn't have opted into the VITA program since that necessarily excludes school specific questions.

The way AAMC describes it is that most med schools are looking at those 5 or 6 core competencies that get evaluated during the interview. If the school wasn't worried about asking "why us" questions, my guess is that they wouldn't have opted into the VITA program since that necessarily excludes school specific questions.
Correct. This just makes secondary questions about the "why us" a little more important. For this school, that was the "how would you describe UArizona COM-Phoenix" question.

Thank you so much for the insight! I received an II today and was wondering more about your experience with VITA?
Is this the only formal interview for UA Phoenix?
As others have said, yes, this is the only formal interview for UA - Phoenix.

Your VITA responses will go to all participating schools that choose to interview you, so unless UA - Phx is your only school utilizing it, try and keep your answers from being school specific.

The VITA isn't too bad. The best advice I have seen and what I would pass on is this:

1) Do the practice VITA -- it gives a great sense of the types of questions, the timing, etc.
2) Review the 5 competencies, and have a handful of anecdotes on hand that you could potentially use to illustrate how you are proficient in these areas. Personally, I tried to pick 2-3 scenarios that I could double dip depending on the angle/info I wanted to provide.
3) Look at strategies for responding to situational judgement questions. I found a reddit thread about the CASPer test that had a guide on the different steps in answering ethical and hypothetical situations. Basically its: (1) Acknowledge the situation, (2) Explain your understanding of the 2+ perspectives, (3) Describe your role in the situation, (4) Explain your decision, and (5) Justify your decision.

Hope that helps!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
As others have said, yes, this is the only formal interview for UA - Phoenix.

Your VITA responses will go to all participating schools that choose to interview you, so unless UA - Phx is your only school utilizing it, try and keep your answers from being school specific.

The VITA isn't too bad. The best advice I have seen and what I would pass on is this:

1) Do the practice VITA -- it gives a great sense of the types of questions, the timing, etc.
2) Review the 5 competencies, and have a handful of anecdotes on hand that you could potentially use to illustrate how you are proficient in these areas. Personally, I tried to pick 2-3 scenarios that I could double dip depending on the angle/info I wanted to provide.
3) Look at strategies for responding to situational judgement questions. I found a reddit thread about the CASPer test that had a guide on the different steps in answering ethical and hypothetical situations. Basically its: (1) Acknowledge the situation, (2) Explain your understanding of the 2+ perspectives, (3) Describe your role in the situation, (4) Explain your decision, and (5) Justify your decision.

Hope that helps!

Wow thank you so much this was so helpful! and such great advice. I really appreciate it!! :)

Has anyone heard any updates on whether or not they are planning on starting admissions decisions on the 15th still?

Has anyone heard any updates on whether or not they are planning on starting admissions decisions on the 15th still?
Their website and MSAR still list the 15th, but I haven't heard a recent confirmation of that.

I interviewed and attended a VAVD in late Sept. and they indicated, at least for our group of interviewees, that we should be getting decisions on October 15th.

I know that interview etiquette is to send a thank you letter post-interview, but because there is no interview with a real person here, is that necessary? Did anyone write a thank you letter? Or is that only for schools where you interview with someone one on one?

I know that interview etiquette is to send a thank you letter post-interview, but because there is no interview with a real person here, is that necessary? Did anyone write a thank you letter? Or is that only for schools where you interview with someone one on one?
I would only send a thank you card to where you interact with someone live. With this school, you honestly have no idea who will even view your app/VITA recording, so there is no way to write a meaningful, personalized thank you card. I'm choosing not to write one for this school.

I chose to write one and just addressed it to the admissions committee. I commented specifically about the MS2 whose group I was in for the mixer and about some of the comments made by the med school dean and admissions dean.

Anyone know if the students who attended the most recent VAVD (Oct 6th) will also receive decisions by October 15th? I didn't hear them mention a admissions decisions timeline at all, but I may have missed it.

Thank you cards will have no impact on admissions at this school.

Anyone know if the students who attended the most recent VAVD (Oct 6th) will also receive decisions by October 15th? I didn't hear them mention a admissions decisions timeline at all, but I may have missed it.

I don't think they gave any timeline. It makes sense for earlier ones because they've had plenty of time review them and just can't release the decision till the 15th, but I'm not sure what sort of timeline everyone got for VITA. Mine was due tomorrow and I was at the same Oct. 6th session, so the 15th seems like too soon for them to have looked at my interview. Maybe others that did the virtual interview earlier will get decisions back on the 15th though - or those that had already done it before this invite.

For those that attended a VAVD session, were there plenty of opportunities to ask questions about the program? also are their current students on this thread who can answer questions about the program?

I'm currently an MS3 and am more than happy to answer any questions about the program! Feel free to DM too.

How long before the VAVD day did you get the details regarding it?

UA, please don’t forget about this native Arizonan but technically OOS applicant!

How long before the VAVD day did you get the details regarding it?
I got more info in an email 6 days before it and then the zoom links and exact schedule were sent the day before.

According to last year, the first acceptance came out on the morning of October 15th via phone call.

• Love
I haven’t heard back yet either. Maybe tomorrow or Monday?
Though it is only noon...

Anyone who went to the VAVD: was the dress as formal as an interview?

got an email... that the date they will communicate decisions in 10/19

This "email" is a response to an inquiry that you sent them?
no inquiry, they just sent an email saying that the date was changed to 10/19 and they wanted to communicate that to us. FYI acceptances will be sent via phone call

Anyone who attended the 10/6 VAVD get the email? Looks like we’ll be waiting a little bit longer

I attended the 9/22 VAVD and I have not received an email. However, I did get a follow-up email to my thank you message. Not sure if that means anything

Anyone who attended the 10/6 VAVD get the email? Looks like we’ll be waiting a little bit longer
I attended the 10/6 VAVD and didn't get that email. I also don't remember them saying anything at the VAVD about when our decisions would be released.

I attended the 10/6 VAVD and didn't get that email. I also don't remember them saying anything at the VAVD about when our decisions would be released.
Anyone from 10/6 wanna take one for the team and shoot them an email asking?