2020-2021 Arizona - Phoenix

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I ended up getting the secondary 10 days after their initial email, so don't worry too much, it'll come in time!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
HI all. Just wanted to check in. Any word? Nothing on my end
#WaitGang

Joining in with the same, got that "primary under review" email on 8/25 and nothing else! Hopefully they get back to us soon ㅠㅠ

Reactions: 1 user
Oh man I thought my current wait of a week was long :/ are they just that behind? When should we inquire about it?
For what it's worth, I was verified and ready on 7/10 and only got their secondary 8/4. I emailed them about it since I hadn't been sure at the time if there was some way it'd gone to spam and I'd missed it, but they told me my app was under initial review. I wouldn't worry about it too much, although up to you if you want to reach out.

Reactions: 1 users
For what it's worth, I was verified and ready on 7/10 and only got their secondary 8/4. I emailed them about it since I hadn't been sure at the time if there was some way it'd gone to spam and I'd missed it, but they told me my app was under initial review. I wouldn't worry about it too much, although up to you if you want to reach out.
Thanks so much. I don't want to be a bother of course- but I was under the impression everyone who met their MCAT requirements received a secondary? Is that their initial review?

Thanks so much. I don't want to be a bother of course- but I was under the impression everyone who met their MCAT requirements received a secondary? Is that their initial review?
MSAR says that secondaries are sent to all "Applicants with US Citizenship or Permanent Resident status and who have a MCAT test score of at least 495 recorded between January 2018 and September 28, 2020."

Yeah that's why I wasn't that worried. Not sure what was in their initial review for me, but I have a balanced MCAT score that wouldn't have been filtered out by that alone

MSAR says that secondaries are sent to all "Applicants with US Citizenship or Permanent Resident status and who have a MCAT test score of at least 495 recorded between January 2018 and September 28, 2020."

Yup which is why I am curious what "further" review do we need if we meet the screen? I am an IS re-applicant and last cycle it came in automatically and already have all my LORs on my AMCAS...As a re-applicant and top choices for med schools as an in-state resident, timing is everything. So I hope WE dont suffer for THEIR delay with regards to the timing of our candidacy?

Yup which is why I am curious what "further" review do we need if we meet the screen? I am an IS re-applicant and last cycle it came in automatically and already have all my LORs on my AMCAS...As a re-applicant and top choices for med schools as an in-state resident, timing is everything. So I hope WE dont suffer for THEIR delay with regards to the timing of our candidacy?

Update. I emailed them and got reply that everything on my end is good and ready for the next step, however, they are sending out secondaries on a schedule and hopefully I get mine next week.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just received the 8 emails for the secondary! My primary was verified about a month ago and I received their "under review" email on 8/25. If you have been waiting awhile for the secondary, check your email!

I also just received my secondary! Verified 8/12 and received their email on 8/25.

7/14, has anyone thats interviewed attended a VAVD? what is that like? I'm confused is there any sort of traditional or MMI formated interview?

The VAVD is a nice, structured day where the admissions staff give several presentations over Zoom about the school. It’s basically everything you would do at their normal in-person interview day besides the interview itself. There’s no traditional interview or MMI - they’re exclusively using VITA for their interview.

• Wow
The VAVD is a nice, structured day where the admissions staff give several presentations over Zoom about the school. It’s basically everything you would do at their normal in-person interview day besides the interview itself. There’s no traditional interview or MMI - they’re exclusively using VITA for their interview.
Thank you and good luck!

For the prereqs, it's confusing. For example, the first chemistry box says "1 Biochemistry," but then says "Minimum Grades 2" ...so... do I put only my first biochemistry course down, or both first and second biochemistry courses down since it says "Minimum Grades 2?"

Update. I emailed them and got reply that everything on my end is good and ready for the next step, however, they are sending out secondaries on a schedule and hopefully I get mine next week.

Nothing so far, sadly. Maybe they’re sending out secondaries in batches or something? Tuesday marks two weeks since their email, so hoping to receive something by then.
Just got 8 emails!
Joining in with the same, got that "primary under review" email on 8/25 and nothing else! Hopefully they get back to us soon ㅠㅠ

Update #WaitGang. Finally got the secondary (8 emails). Guess I aint drinking this Friday night. Smh.

Primary Verified 8/12
Under Review for Secondary 8/25
Secondary 9/11

For the prereqs, it's confusing. For example, the first chemistry box says "1 Biochemistry," but then says "Minimum Grades 2" ...so... do I put only my first biochemistry course down, or both first and second biochemistry courses down since it says "Minimum Grades 2?"
I would just put down 2, better put more then less in my opinion. Or call them and ask!

For those that attended a VAVD session, were there plenty of opportunities to ask questions about the program? also are their current students on this thread who can answer questions about the program?

For those that attended a VAVD session, were there plenty of opportunities to ask questions about the program? also are their current students on this thread who can answer questions about the program?
There was a decent amount of time left after most presentations to ask questions! Sometimes they ran out of time to answer everyone’s questions though so if you do have something to ask I would try let them know right away after the presentation to make sure they get to you. The mixer the night before was also really useful for asking questions to current students.

Is there any way to check the status of your application after submitting the secondary, or do we just wait for an email update? I can login with the AAMC liaison portal but don't see any way to check a status. Thanks!

Is there any way to check the status of your application after submitting the secondary, or do we just wait for an email update? I can login with the AAMC liaison portal but don't see any way to check a status. Thanks!
There isn't a way to check the status. However, the did just update their website to indicate that they have offered 88 interviews.

Last edited by a moderator:
There isn't a way to check the status. However, the did just update their website to indicate that they have offered 88 IS interviews.
They have offered 88 TOTAL interviews

Received my secondary within 24 hours of receiving their initial email, I hope that's a good sign! URM but also significant ties to AZ despite technically being OOS.

Does anyone know if we will be evaluated during the VAVD?

Last edited:
Secondary submitted!

AMCAS Verified 8/12
Secondary Received 9/11.
Secondary submitted just now. 9/24.
IS.
Waitgang lets gooooooooo

Secondary submitted!

AMCAS Verified 8/12
Secondary Received 9/11.
IS.
Waitgang lets gooooooooo
Woohoo! Though I'm surprised it took you so long to get a secondary considering you are IS!

My very first II. OOS (but connected to school thru a friend) LM 77.5, complete 8/20. Received an hour ago.

Reactions: 1 users
Secondary submitted!

AMCAS Verified 8/12
Secondary Received 9/11.
IS.
Waitgang lets gooooooooo
Sooo glad I'm not alone in submitting today! I wondered if it was too late. It really sounds like it isn't and things are going slowly here.

Sooo glad I'm not alone in submitting today! I wondered if it was too late. It really sounds like it isn't and things are going slowly here.

It is. It isnt our fault it took a while for them to get back to us. I had the secondary for less than 2 weeks. I think they are behind and working in batches.

II Tracker Updated: As of today, they have sent 46 IS and 86 OOS II. Assuming they interview the same number of people as last year, that is 25.5% IS and 45.7% of OOS II they will send.

Reactions: 6 users
Anyone else still waiting on a secondary lol? AMCAS verified before transmission to med schools

I was complete really early like mid-July and have gotten radio silence since then. IS, 71 LM...should I be worried? It’s definitely difficult watching people get II’s who were complete after you.

Honestly, that seems kinda weird. As long as you meet their GPA/MCAT requirements, I would email them.
Agreed, especially if you were verified in July. It took 2 weeks as OOS to hear back from them and I was verified at the end of August.