2020-2021 Arizona - Tucson

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Arizona - Tucson

Secondary Prompts 2020-2021:
Please share a meaningful experience you have had working or volunteering in the health professional field or a time in your past in which you were responsible for the care and well-being of someone else. What did you learn from this as it relates to becoming a physician?
(Limit: 350 words)

Discuss a time in your life in which you have failed at something other than an academic experience. How did you confront the failure and what did you learn from it? Please describe how you typically approach challenges that you face in your life.

"The mission of the University of Arizona College of Medicine Office of Admissions is to select a diverse cohort of students who will become the future leaders in advancing health care to the distinct communities that comprise Arizona and the United States. Consistent with the mission of The University of Arizona College of Medicine, selection of individuals with a demonstrated commitment to serve as care providers, physician scientists, clinical leaders, medical educators and/or public health experts, including advocates for rural and urban underserved populations, is highly valued. Applicants seeking admission should exhibit qualities of altruism, academic excellence, leadership and dedication to becoming lifelong learners through research endeavors and academic development."

Please describe the role(s) you can play in helping the College of Medicine to achieve its mission.

Describe the effect that your experiences with engaging diversity have had on your own growth and development. Provide an example and describe how it will impact your career in the medical profession.

Share any disruptions in your academic/volunteer/work/personal life related to COVID-19 that you would like the Admissions Committee to consider.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Secondary received but the secondary application link isn’t working. Anyone else have the same issue?

I received secondary too. Portal works fine for me. No issues encountered.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received but the secondary application link isn’t working. Anyone else have the same issue?
Yeah, it said in the email to copy and paste the link in a new browser. That worked for me.

Yeah, it said in the email to copy and paste the link in a new browser. That worked for me.
I got so excited I missed that part... As they say, “Attention to detail is critical”
Thank you.

Please share a meaningful experience you have had working or volunteering in the health professional field or a time in your past in which you were responsible for the care and well-being of someone else. What did you learn from this as it relates to becoming a physician?

Discuss a time in your life in which you have failed at something other than an academic experience. How did you confront the failure and what did you learn from it? Please describe how you typically approach challenges that you face in your life.

"The mission of the University of Arizona College of Medicine Office of Admissions is to select a diverse cohort of students who will become the future leaders in advancing health care to the distinct communities that comprise Arizona and the United States. Consistent with the mission of The University of Arizona College of Medicine, selection of individuals with a demonstrated commitment to serve as care providers, physician scientists, clinical leaders, medical educators and/or public health experts, including advocates for rural and urban underserved populations, is highly valued. Applicants seeking admission should exhibit qualities of altruism, academic excellence, leadership and dedication to becoming lifelong learners through research endeavors and academic development."

Please describe the role(s) you can play in helping the College of Medicine to achieve its mission.

Describe the effect that your experiences with engaging diversity have had on your own growth and development. Provide an example and describe how it will impact your career in the medical profession.

Share any disruptions in your academic/volunteer/work/personal life related to COVID-19 that you would like the Admissions Committee to consider.

@TheDataKing

Reactions: 1 users
Secondary received 7/13. Have an error not allowing me to submit. Apparently this is a known problem and is affecting others.

yup! they sent an email earlier that they are trying to fix the problem.

Does anyone know if it's worth completing Tuscon's secondary as a Louisiana resident and 510 MCAT?

Members don't see this ad :)

I’m applying with a 509 as a WA resident but only because I went there for undergrad.. not sure if it’s worth it without connections to the school or state

Can any current students confirm the right school acronym that we could use in essays? UACOM? UA COM? UA COM-Tucson?

Frivolous, sure. But I'm not sure if they need us to distinguish between Tucson and Phoenix,

Can any current students confirm the right school acronym that we could use in essays? UACOM? UA COM? UA COM-Tucson?

Frivolous, sure. But I'm not sure if they need us to distinguish between Tucson and Phoenix,
UACOM or UACOMT if you want to make sure you're not meaning Phoenix should suffice.

Any current students I could contact to ask some specific questions about the school??? Or advice on how to reach someone who goes there or recently graduated?

I'm a bit confused by the physiology requirement of "2 semesters or 2 quarters." If there are two semesters per year, then 1 semester is equal to two quarters. Would a single, semester-long class in physiology complete this requirement?

I've already taken this class and would prefer not to take the next one, but this requirement just doesn't make sense.

I'm a bit confused by the physiology requirement of "2 semesters or 2 quarters." If there are two semesters per year, then 1 semester is equal to two quarters. Would a single, semester-long class in physiology complete this requirement?

I've already taken this class and would prefer not to take the next one, but this requirement just doesn't make sense.

Hm, good question and I’d like to know too. I asked their office about it a few months ago and they said they just look for two classes with a physiology designation.

Yes, their course requirements are unclear in certain areas. I emailed the Administrative people and detailed the courses I've taken. They were very helpful in helping me confirm that I'm "good to go" in that sense :)

I did my BSc in Biochemistry and Neuroscience, so my 3rd and 4th year biochemistry courses fit the bill. Also, I am towards the end of my PhD (Neuroscience, Immunology), so I think that helps in conveying my molecule biology background :)

• Wow
I did my BSc in Biochemistry and Neuroscience, so my 3rd and 4th year biochemistry courses fit the bill. Also, I am towards the end of my PhD (Neuroscience, Immunology), so I think that helps in conveying my molecule biology background :)
This is the competition that makes me worried about getting accepted.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I'm prewriting these secondaries. Can someone confirm how long the COVID essay can be?

For the diversity essay, does it specifically have to be engaging with OTHERS (as the diversity part). Or can I use my own experiences with a disorder and relate to how it will affect my practice?

For the diversity essay, does it specifically have to be engaging with OTHERS (as the diversity part). Or can I use my own experiences with a disorder and relate to how it will affect my practice?
I would try to include others for a diversity essay.

So I was at a quarter system school and only took one quarter of physiology (the multiple-quarter series is only for people in the major) but it was a 6-unit class so it was basically the work of 2 classes and I got an A. I have lots of other upper divison bio classes i've done well in (cell bio, advanced molecular bio, developmental bio, genomics, microbio, pharmacology). I didn't see this requirement earlier and now I'm stressed they're gonna throw out my app because of this ugh did this happen to anyone else lol/please advise :(

Anyone know when UA usually starts giving out interviews. OOS and wondering if it’s too late to add them to my amcas list

So I was at a quarter system school and only took one quarter of physiology (the multiple-quarter series is only for people in the major) but it was a 6-unit class so it was basically the work of 2 classes and I got an A. I have lots of other upper divison bio classes i've done well in (cell bio, advanced molecular bio, developmental bio, genomics, microbio, pharmacology). I didn't see this requirement earlier and now I'm stressed they're gonna throw out my app because of this ugh did this happen to anyone else lol/please advise :(

I highly advise reaching out to their office and asking. They told me that they'll look at the AMCAS course list to ensure you're covered with their requirements. You may need to prove that you'll be registering for whatever deficient classes, (if you're that committed to UACOM).

Anyone know when UA usually starts giving out interviews. OOS and wondering if it’s too late to add them to my amcas list

It's still very early in the cycle, so submit! They have an application tracker (Admissions Tracker | College of Medicine - Tucson) but it still hasn't been updated. That's a pretty good indicator that you're not at all late. II's will probably start mid-late Aug, I would guess.

Keep in mind that they don't historically accept all that many OOS. It's not 50%. It definitely is a school to consider, but it isn't as OOS-friendly as many say.

Keep in mind that they don't historically accept all that many OOS. It's not 50%. It definitely is a school to consider, but it isn't as OOS-friendly as many say.
Does anyone know how many of the OOS students interviewed/accepted have strong ties to the state/Tucson?

Does anyone know how many of the OOS students interviewed/accepted have strong ties to the state/Tucson?
The school doesn't release this information, so anybody would just be guessing. That being said, it definitely does help your app to have ties to the area.

I would try to include others for a diversity essay.

Thanks for the advice. Just to clarify my question I guess, so the prompt asks about "experiences with engaging diversity". Most schools have their diversity question structured as "How will you contribute to the diversity of our school", in which case I normally talk about how having a lisp as a child and experiencing the bullying from others who didn't have it gave me insight into those with physical impediments and taught me sensitivity. In this case, I'm afraid that engaging diversity is referring to interacting with others who are different (diverse) than me. Can anybody let me know if I interpreted that correctly/incorrectly?

Appreciate any help.

Thanks for the advice. Just to clarify my question I guess, so the prompt asks about "experiences with engaging diversity". Most schools have their diversity question structured as "How will you contribute to the diversity of our school", in which case I normally talk about how having a lisp as a child and experiencing the bullying from others who didn't have it gave me insight into those with physical impediments and taught me sensitivity. In this case, I'm afraid that engaging diversity is referring to interacting with others who are different (diverse) than me. Can anybody let me know if I interpreted that correctly/incorrectly?

Appreciate any help.

I took it as interacting with others who are different than myself. Personally, I spoke about my experiences in different free clinics and my professional experiences that were all rich in diversity.

Im assuming I shouldnt apply here if I dont meet the two quarters of Physiology requirement? Only one was offered at my university....

yup, exactly why im not about to add them to my list.... smh

Not sure if it applies to anyone here, but my friend was told that everyone rejected from the early assurance program is guaranteed an interview spot for this cycle.

• Hmm
Not sure if it applies to anyone here, but my friend was told that everyone rejected from the early assurance program is guaranteed an interview spot for this cycle.
75 primaries my dude? sheeeeeeeeeeesh

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
I called them to confirm that my application is complete. They confirmed so and the portal confirms it as well. This is the only email I got.

View attachment 315547
Would you mind sharing which number you called? Coz I don’t think they have a number for general admissions and not the director’s number?

has anyone received a completion email from them?

Tucson does not send completed emails. I emailed the Admissions Office to ask for confirmation and they said my application is complete.

For the "meaningful experience" one, I know it doesn't explicitly say shadowing, but do you think it would count if I wrote about a meaningful shadowing experience? It involves a patient's weariness about medication, loss of family to COVID and how race affects their daily life.