2020-2021 Arizona - Phoenix

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A little late, accepted yesterday morning (IS, LM 75, interviewed 11/3)! For those that have been accepted, did your portal change at all? It says now there's onboarding info and a checklist but I don't any of it.
Make sure you are checking your customized applicant portal, not the portal you submitted your secondary through. The customized portal should say “Congratulations on your acceptance, ________” and there’s a lot more information, although it doesn’t seem to be fully updated for 2021, but I assume it will be the same as last year.

Members don't see this ad.

Make sure you are checking your customized applicant portal, not the portal you submitted your secondary through. The customized portal should say “Congratulations on your acceptance, ________” and there’s a lot more information, although it doesn’t seem to be fully updated for 2021, but I assume it will be the same as last year.
Yeah that's the one I'm looking at. I actually just checked on my phone and I can see the extra tabs like onboarding FAQs and orientation but it's all from last year so maybe that's why it's not visible on the desktop site yet. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Up to 82 acceptances now, per the admissions tracker! I’m hoping for an update on the applicant portal site soon.

Reactions: 1 user
Up to 82 acceptances now, per the admissions tracker! I’m hoping for an update on the applicant portal site so
So is Arizona behind or do they typically take a while to accept their students by putting many on continued consideration?

Last year, they accepted 184 applicants and matriculated 100 students. I did the VAVD back in September and we were told they were increasing the class size to 120, so theoretically they would be accepting roughly 220 students this cycle. Unless I’m awful at math, it seems they have only accepted a little over a third of their students so far.

So is Arizona behind or do they typically take a while to accept their students by putting many on continued consideration?

Last year, they accepted 184 applicants and matriculated 100 students. I did the VAVD back in September and we were told they were increasing the class size to 120, so theoretically they would be accepting roughly 220 students this cycle. Unless I’m awful at math, it seems they have only accepted a little over a third of their students so far.
If I recall correctly, at my VAVD day Dr. Fogerty mentioned not to be too stressed if you get put on continued consideration because they only accept a few people right away and then extend more of the acceptances closer to the end. I also know someone currently attending and she said most of the classmates she knows were put on continued consideration for a while before being accepted.

Reactions: 1 users
If I recall correctly, at my VAVD day Dr. Fogerty mentioned not to be too stressed if you get put on continued consideration because they only accept a few people right away and then extend more of the acceptances closer to the end. I also know someone currently attending and she said most of the classmates she knows were put on continued consideration for a while before being accepted.
That definitely confirms my assumptions, the number of accepted seemed very low for the out of state applicants.

I feel like they may miss out on a lot of strong students this year because they take such a long time to accept them. It would be hard to convince myself to attend the out of state program that only interviewed with VITA, especially after being dragged along so long, if I had other options. I also have a bad taste in my mouth for only being allowed a VITA here, it seemed so impersonal. That’s probably just me, good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
That definitely confirms my assumptions, the number of accepted seemed very low for the out of state applicants.

I feel like they may miss out on a lot of strong students this year because they take such a long time to accept them. It would be hard to convince myself to attend the out of state program that only interviewed with VITA, especially after being dragged along so long, if I had other options. I also have a bad taste in my mouth for only being allowed a VITA here, it seemed so impersonal. That’s probably just me, good luck to everyone!
I would't say I have a bad taste in my mouth for waiting around (thats pretty normal throughout), but I agree with the VITA only ii standpoint. I feel like applicants and admissions both lose an important opportunity to better understand each other. All of my other interviews provided unique insights into the program and I was able to better express myself as an applicant. Hopefully they reassess for future applicants.

Pre-II R just now; OOS, LM 69, complete 9/30
really sad, was one of my top choices :(

• Care
I would't say I have a bad taste in my mouth for waiting around (thats pretty normal throughout), but I agree with the VITA only ii standpoint. I feel like applicants and admissions both lose an important opportunity to better understand each other. All of my other interviews provided unique insights into the program and I was able to better express myself as an applicant. Hopefully they reassess for future applicants.
Yeah, that’s a fair point. I just couldn’t believe that after working that hard for years for a chance to interview, the experience was reduced to a short recording. To not even have an opportunity to ask an interviewer a personalized question was huge for me.

• Hmm
Members don't see this ad :)
1: VITA minimally reflects how I usually interact with people. It is not a good indicator of anybody's communication skills. 2: On VAVD, we cannot interact with anyone and ask them more personalized questions or any questions for that matter. 3, how is Phoenix making decisions???!! metrics, essays, looks ...

Look like I should be receiving my pre-II rejection soon then if people with crazy high stats are rejected lol

Friends who have been accepted! Does anyone know if there is a groupme or Facebook page for all of us to chat, share info, and get to know each other a little?

II just now! Complete in late August, LM ~70.

90% sure they'll reject me if it's only based on my VITA lmao.

II today- most likely will not do this interview and will withdraw because I have As from my own state schools, but wanted to post this here so people know interviews are still being sent out. good luck everyone!

Reactions: 4 users
Hello everyone! Just wanted to offer some support for everyone who feels like they bombed their Vitas. I also felt like I totally killed my chances of getting in after my vita. I was so certain I was just stumbling around and beginning to be incoherent. I had interviewed for other schools and did amazing, but there was something odd about talking to myself and the limited timing that made it significantly more difficult for me. I was totally shocked when I got my acceptance call in December (stats are not that strong for all of those who will ask). I was so certain it was over after my vita. Stay hopeful! A Lot of people seem iffy about their vitas. I am sure they are being lenient about it so I would not worry so much about it. Good luck you guys! We've already made it this far, the hardest part is over, and that is an accomplishment in and of itself.
Second this! I switched between feeling like I did okay and doing super poorly. Hoping for the best for those of you still waiting to hear back :)

Edit: Forgot to include that I was accepted despite feeling super weird about VITA

Last edited:
Second this! I switched between feeling like I did okay and doing super poorly. Hoping for the best for those of you still waiting to hear back :)
I haven't received an interview here, but another one of my top choice schools also required VITA, which I took today. I feel mostly okay because I know I said some good things, but I was sooo awkward. I really don't know how anyone would walk out of that thinking they rocked it. Seeing these messages made me feel a lot better because I was reminded I wasn't in this alone. Thanks for that!

• Care
What are the requirements for those who do the SMP to get direct admission to the MD program?

Is silence normal from this school? Haven't heard anything since I submitted my secondary (no pre-ii rejection, solid r or hold).

Friends who have been accepted! Does anyone know if there is a groupme or Facebook page for all of us to chat, share info, and get to know each other a little?
Hey, I spoke with Dr. Fogerty he says the are working on setting up the page maybe we can expect it to be done in the next month or so!

So according to the data on their website from last cycle, it would seem they only have one or two more interview groups left? :/ Unless they're planning on interviewing a few more groups this year...really bummed because I'm IS with pretty solid stats and I have two decent connections to UA-P so I thought I'd get an interview at least :cryi:

So according to the data on their website from last cycle, it would seem they only have one or two more interview groups left? :/ Unless they're planning on interviewing a few more groups this year...really bummed because I'm IS with pretty solid stats and I have two decent connections to UA-P so I thought I'd get an interview at least :cryi:
I am in the exact same boat. UA has made me one sad applicant this cycle

I am in the exact same boat. UA has made me one sad applicant this cycle
A couple things to remember... 1. they’re increasing their incoming class size to 120 this year. So there are 20 extra spots this year compared to last year.
2. I would anticipate a longer interview season this year to accommodate for the oddity of it all being virtual and adcoms working remotely AND there is a significant increase in # of applicants per school this year. Don’t count yourself out just yet. It’s not over til it’s over!

Hi all, I had my VAVD on 11/17 and haven't heard anything yet... Any idea when the adcom typically releases decisions?

Hi all, I had my VAVD on 11/17 and haven't heard anything yet... Any idea when the adcom typically releases decisions?
I heard back 7 weeks after my VAVD! They gave us a specific date that they would release decisions, it sounds like they didn't do that at your VAVD?

Anyone know if the 11/17 interview gang gets calls today and next Monday?

What time do they historically release decisions? Also, do they phone call or email?

Just got the call from Dr. Fogerty!!!!
Congrats! I wonder what order they go in. As the day progresses, I always hope that they do it in alphabetical order by last name, as I'm towards the end of the alphabet. :)

11/17 VAVD here. Going to hope that because my last name is lower in the alphabet, I will hear back with the good news on Feb 8th. Anxiously hoping I don’t receive an email in a few hours!

Anyone here have not attended the VAVD? Or only attended a few sessions? It's too dang long lmao.