2019-2020 West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
27y/o - OOS - Virginia
Teacher & Chief Scribe
Submitted 07/29/19. recieved and submitted 08/06/19. :bookworm:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Sigh... just received the decision deferred email :/

• Sad
Does anyone here know the best/closest airport to fly into?

Current student here - just wanted to drop in and offer help if anyone has questions.

Airports/transportation: You can fly into Lewisburg direct from DC and Chicago, I think there is 1 flight per day and it is on United Airlines. They are usually pricey but you can find deals. The airport is probably 5-10 minutes away from the school and you can rent a car there. Last time I checked there was only 1 Uber driver in town, but I do know there is a taxi service
  • Cosmic Cab Company (304-646-8882)
Other than that, you have to drive a bit
-Roanoke VA is 1 - 1.5 hours away and has flights from all over
-Charleston WV is 2 hours away
-IAD Washington DC is about 3 - 3.5 hours
-Richmond VA is 3 hours
-Pittsburg is 4 hours
-Charlotte is 4 hours

Stay: Holiday inn, Fairfield Inn, Super 8 Motel, Quality Inn, The Escape is a cool little hotel downtown. When I interviewed, I stayed at Super 8 and I wasn't that impressed my room was not the cleanest, but it was the cheapest hotel (80$). Another budget option is AirBnB, I know a student also has an AirBnB room, and there are also other AirBnB's around town. Most of these hotels are literally less than 1 mile from the school.

See: Check out the Greenbrier river trail while you're in town or the Greenbrier hotel and resort - its an interesting place. Drapers is a restaurant inside and has 10$ sundaes that are awesome. Lost world caverns are a popular cave to visit. If you're feeling more adventurous, one of the most photographed places on the Appalachian trail is 1 hour away (Mcafee Knob) or you can check out the New River Gorge (also 1 hour) and do a 2 mile hike to an awesome overlook called the Endless Wall Trail.

Eat: Hill and Holler pizza is a Lewisburg staple, near the school and has amazing pizza/calzones/ice cream. The Humble Tomato is a new restaurant but one of our favs. Thunderbird tacos, Food and Friends, Del Sol, The Asylum and lastly, my favorite budget option, Carlitos, all deserve a mention.

If ya'll have any questions, I can try to answer, and the admissions crew is really nice, I wouldn't hesitate to reach out! Good luck with interview season guys you got this!

Reactions: 11 users
Just submitted the secondary.. I know I'm a bit late but oh well. Those secondary questions and the character limit had me feeling like Kevin from the office.

"Why waste time say lot word when few word do trick"

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
II just now, submitted 8/1, OOS

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II just now.

Reactions: 2 users
Just scheduled my interview for September. Does anyone have any tips or know what questions I can expect in order to do some small preparation?

Just scheduled my interview for September. Does anyone have any tips or know what questions I can expect in order to do some small preparation?

Congrats on the interview! So you'll likely begin at 8:00 am, show up to the admissions building which is a little building in the southwest corner of campus. Then the interviews will begin. There will probably be 8-10 people interviewing with you, and half of you will interview with one group of people, and the other half another. The interviews I believe are usually 15-30 minutes a person. The style of interview consists of you sitting at the end of a conference table, with usually 4-5 people from the school. I had somebody from admissions, a physician, an anatomy professor and another professor. They asked me pretty straightforward questions: why do you want to be a physcian, why do you want to be a DO, why WVSOM. They also asked for me to explain an ethical dilemma that I had been in. While sitting around a conference table with 4 people from the school may sound intimidating, it really was not. They were super nice and welcoming and I felt the understood that it was a stressful thing for most interviewees to go through. The process may have been changed or tweaked so be ready for anything, but I would always go to the schools SDN page, click on the interview tab and read what other students wrote about schools interviewing process and make sure I could answer all the questions found there. Here is WVSOM's:

WVSOM school page

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Congrats on the interview! So you'll likely begin at 8:00 am, show up to the admissions building which is a little building in the southwest corner of campus. Then the interviews will begin. There will probably be 8-10 people interviewing with you, and half of you will interview with one group of people, and the other half another. The interviews I believe are usually 15-30 minutes a person. The style of interview consists of you sitting at the end of a conference table, with usually 4-5 people from the school. I had somebody from admissions, a physician, an anatomy professor and another professor. They asked me pretty straightforward questions: why do you want to be a physcian, why do you want to be a DO, why WVSOM. They also asked for me to explain an ethical dilemma that I had been in. While sitting around a conference table with 4 people from the school may sound intimidating, it really was not. They were super nice and welcoming and I felt the understood that it was a stressful thing for most interviewees to go through. The process may have been changed or tweaked so be ready for anything, but I would always go to the schools SDN page, click on the interview tab and read what other students wrote about schools interviewing process and make sure I could answer all the questions found there. Here is WVSOM's:

WVSOM school page

I second all this. It was BY FAR my least stressful interview. They really go out of their way to make you comfortable.

Just to add something: you do also go on a tour of the school after the interviews conclude and we even went inside the anatomy lab while the students were in lab and it was really really cool. Definitely a great experience overall, you guys will love it and you'll all do great!

Reactions: 5 users
II! Scheduled for Monday, Sept 30th!

Reactions: 3 users
Is it possible to get an interview at this school with a 493? Everything else including GPA is really good.

Is it possible to get an interview at this school with a 493? Everything else including GPA is really good.
Maybe? I wouldn't say the chances are high though. I would focus on retaking the MCAT and breaking the 500 mark

I would not have a realistic expectation with an MCAT score like that anicoleo. I would seriously recommend re-taking the MCAT before applying to a bunch of schools in this cycle. A 497 seems to be a general cut-off for even most newer DO schools.

II! OOS non-trad 3.22/512

Does everybody get a secondary to this school? Or do they heavily screen beforehand.

II just now. In state applicant. Complete a few weeks ago.

II today. OOS applicant (east coast). Finally the silence ends (for now)

Last edited:
II today! OOS (NY) Im so happy I could cry.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

I was in the exact same situation as you last year and talked to admissions about it. They recommended me to retake it and now that I improved my score I got an interview. They were pretty upfront back then about my chances being super low with that score so I recommend retaking it.

Reactions: 1 users
Got a decision deferred. OOS Lizzy M ~70 MCAT 515. Did I get yield protected?