2019-2020 West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If they asked you to come for an interview that means they definitely see potential and noticed your improvement! I think as long as you can really show them what you did to improve and how any failure you may have had pushed you to do better, they really like that. And show them what Makes you passionate about DO/medicine. At this point they really just want to make sure you know what you’re getting into and have confidence you can succeed :)
Awesome thank you. I guess my improvement in grades and passion for medicine are going to be my main talking points.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if they only call you with an acceptance? Or will they still call you if you’re rejected? Thanks!

Awesome thank you. I guess my improvement in grades and passion for medicine are going to be my main talking points.
Just to chime in and calm some nerves- I applied and was accepted (I’ll definitely be attending!) with a 498 MCAT, a 3.2 science GPA and a 3.8 graduate GPA.

I am a reapplicant from last year and my advice would be to focus on how you improved! The interview is extremely conversational. My advice would be to practice saying your answers to a family member and have general answers prepared. Why DO, Why medicine, why a doctor, how you study etc. If you got the interview it means they’re interested so be confident in that- you’ll do great, Best of Luck to you!!

Reactions: 3 users
Just to chime in and calm some nerves- I applied and was accepted (I’ll definitely be attending!) with a 498 MCAT, a 3.2 science GPA and a 3.8 graduate GPA.

I am a reapplicant from last year and my advice would be to focus on how you improved! The interview is extremely conversational. My advice would be to practice saying your answers to a family member and have general answers prepared. Why DO, Why medicine, why a doctor, how you study etc. If you got the interview it means they’re interested so be confident in that- you’ll do great, Best of Luck to you!!
Thank you very much, that was definitely reassuring :) Congratulations on your acceptance!

Hello, I was wondering if someone would be able to give me an idea of what my chances are like at getting into WVSOM?
I have received an interview offer for February 28th and I have been reading a lot of things where people say that an interview this late may just be for the waitlist spot and then I have also read where people say that there is a high chance, 70%-80%, of getting accepted to WVSOM after interviewing.

My stats: 3.3 sGPA 3.4 cGPA 496 MCAT. The low GPA is because I didn't do so hot as a freshman and first-semester sophomore year but the trend of my grades has been going upward, straight A's, ever since and my MCAT score is low because I did terrible on CAR and subpar on Psych but did well on Chem and Bio. I also have a lot of different extracurricular activities including shadowing, research, CDC internship, volunteering, and leadership roles with pretty strong LORs

I just need to calm my nerves a little bit so I was hoping if anyone who has gotten off the waitlist can give me an idea of where I stand. Also if you could tell me what the environment of the interview is like (how many other students would be there) and what is a major mistake people make to not get accepted, or waitlisted, after their interview?

Thank you :)
I am not sure about what exactly are the stats of you getting in. The bottom line is that should not be the case you need to worry now. You have already got an interview, focus on that. The adcom here are well experienced. So learn how you can relate to the school, talk about how your CDC experience effected you to understand public health issues. Opioid crisis is a big issue in the state of WV. See how WVSOM contributes to its community in helping with the Opioid crisis. Understand why you need to go to medicine, elaborate on those to ADCOMS.

The basic take away is worry what you can control, the only thing you need to concern is you got this interview, how can I A's it.

Hope this calms your nerves....

Reactions: 1 users

Congrats and thanks for your post, definitely calms nerves!! When did you apply/ get accepted?

Can any of you that have gone through WVSOM's interview describe what kinds of questions they asked about a similarly low MCAT score? Did they mention it at all? Did they express worry about how you'd do on STEP or COMLEX exams later on? How did you respond? I'm confident in my GPA/ grades, however very worried about how to frame this MCAT score. I'm usually a pretty decent test taker, but something just went wrong this day. I was sick with some pesky cold/ flu symptoms, but not sure if I should mention that or if it will just be seen as an excuse? So far I've planned to just accept it was an unsatisfactory score and explain what I'd do better next time to prepare/ study. Any other input?

Last edited:
Congrats and thanks for your post, definitely calms nerves!! When did you apply/ get accepted? I've got a 499 MCAT, which I was devastated about. It was my first attempt and I was thinking I'd have to retest to get in anywhere. I don't think a lot of other schools would even consider us with sub-500 MCAT scores. Even many DO schools have strict cut-offs at 500 it seems. It's amazing WVSOM is still considering us. Did any of you with similar scores get interviews or acceptances at any other schools?

Can any of you that have gone through WVSOM's interview describe what kinds of questions they asked about a similarly low MCAT score? Did they mention it at all? Did they express worry about how you'd do on STEP or COMLEX exams later on? How did you respond? I'm confident in my GPA/ grades, however very worried about how to frame this MCAT score. I'm usually a pretty decent test taker, but something just went wrong this day. I was sick with some pesky cold/ flu symptoms, but not sure if I should mention that or if it will just be seen as an excuse? So far I've planned to just accept it was an unsatisfactory score and explain what I'd do better next time to prepare/ study. Any other input?

Do exactly what you said except don’t mention being sick because that is just an excuse. Accept your score and explain how you would do better next time— IF the question even comes up. It may not. If you’re reading the WVSOM interview feedback page and coming up with answers to most of the questions then you’ll be just fine.

You have an interview so they aren’t worried about you academically. Your 499 is right around their median score.

Keep calm, know your application, have some topics you want to talk about (based on the feedback questions) and be yourself. Interviews can be a lot of fun if you allow yourself to enjoy them.

Last edited:
Do exactly what you said except don’t mention being sick because that is just an excuse. Accept your score and explain how you would do better next time— IF the question even comes up. It may not. If you’re reading the WVSOM interview feedback page and coming up with answers to most of the questions then you’ll be just fine.

If you have an interview so they aren’t worried about you academically. Your 499 is right around their median score.

Keep calm, know your application, have some topics you want to talk about (based on the feedback questions) and be yourself. Interviews can be a lot of fun if you allow yourself to enjoy them.

Thanks, that's really helpful!! Also do you/ anyone else know what the discounted rates for those 3 local hotels were? And was the shuttle service able to get you to the Admissions Center on time in the morning?

Congrats and thanks for your post, definitely calms nerves!! When did you apply/ get accepted? I've got a 499 MCAT, which I was devastated about. It was my first attempt and I was thinking I'd have to retest to get in anywhere. I don't think a lot of other schools would even consider us with sub-500 MCAT scores. Even many DO schools have strict cut-offs at 500 it seems. It's amazing WVSOM is still considering us. Did any of you with similar scores get interviews or acceptances at any other schools?

To answer the first part: this (so far) has been my only interview and only acceptance-however, once I went there I honestly didn't even mind. I know a couple of students who currently attend and they haven't said one bad thing about the school. I felt like it was such a great fit for me since it's really a supportive environment.

As for the MCAT score- I was prepared to talk about my 498 and the MCAT was not even mentioned in my Interview! To be prepared, I would have an answer in case it comes up, but don't stress too much about it! fizzers 12 is 100% right with saying, if you have an interview they think you're fine academically, so focus on the extracirricular part of your application and you personally aka why you want this and how you'll adapt to medical school etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! Wanted to say congrats from a current second year for getting in (and for those of you still waiting, keep pushing!). I'll probably post this intermittently till I get a response, but if anyone is interested in renting a 2-bed townhouse that's a 2-minute drive from campus in a relatively new neighborhood with lots of students/faculty, shoot me a PM! I'd be glad to give you more info and put you in touch with my landlord. Also if you have any questions about the townhouse/school in general, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer. Thanks and good luck to everyone! :)

Hey guys! Wanted to say congrats from a current second year for getting in (and for those of you still waiting, keep pushing!). I'll probably post this intermittently till I get a response, but if anyone is interested in renting a 2-bed townhouse that's a 2-minute drive from campus in a relatively new neighborhood with lots of students/faculty, shoot me a PM! I'd be glad to give you more info and put you in touch with my landlord. Also if you have any questions about the townhouse/school in general, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer. Thanks and good luck to everyone! :)
Hey, I was accepted this past week and am trying to figure out between this school and VCOM-Louisiana. To get some insight into this school, what are some pros and cons (if any) for you?

Any advice/feedback will be appreciated!

I am not sure about what exactly are the stats of you getting in. The bottom line is that should not be the case you need to worry now. You have already got an interview, focus on that. The adcom here are well experienced. So learn how you can relate to the school, talk about how your CDC experience effected you to understand public health issues. Opioid crisis is a big issue in the state of WV. See how WVSOM contributes to its community in helping with the Opioid crisis. Understand why you need to go to medicine, elaborate on those to ADCOMS.

The basic take away is worry what you can control, the only thing you need to concern is you got this interview, how can I A's it.

Hope this calms your nerves....
Thank you very much. This did help very much in what to expect at the interview which was causing half of the worry. Hopefully it does well lol

Just thought I'd pop in to help give an idea of their turnaround time. I Interviewed Jan 24th, and the interviewers told me they'd reach out "sometime next week" (meaning by Jan 31st). But Alicia Winters (admissions program coordinator who gave us the tour of the school, wonderful lady) told us it can take up to 3 weeks to hear something. They said that they meet on either Tuesdays or Wednesdays (can't remember) to discuss the interviewed applicants. I did not hear anything that next week and was a little concerned. But the week after, on Feb 6th, I got the acceptance call!

Just thought I'd pop in to help give an idea of their turnaround time. I Interviewed Jan 24th, and the interviewers told me they'd reach out "sometime next week" (meaning by Jan 31st). But Alicia Winters (admissions program coordinator who gave us the tour of the school, wonderful lady) told us it can take up to 3 weeks to hear something. They said that they meet on either Tuesdays or Wednesdays (can't remember) to discuss the interviewed applicants. I did not hear anything that next week and was a little concerned. But the week after, on Feb 6th, I got the acceptance call!
Thanks for posting this! I interviewed feb 6th and I’m getting antsy!

Did anyone get an acceptance call yet from the latest interviews?

Hey guys, just wanted to ask you guys that I am interviewing tomorrow so how should I get to the school from the airport. The rent a car option is out the window lol. Taxi or Uber?
I would maybe email or call admissions and ask them what they suggest, they’re super friendly so they won’t mind. I drove there so I had my car.

Can any current students give insight as to what a typical week is like during classes?

Did y'all do thank you letters after the interview was done?

Will be withdrawing my acceptance, hope it goes to one of you kind folk!

Just got an II today! No dates in February, and there were only time slots in early March and mid March

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know the post interview acceptance rate?

Is there by chance a class schedule yet for first year students? I’ll be solo parenting until the white coat ceremony and I’m wondering if we have any mandatory classes/ events after 5:30pm. Please help lol :p

Is there by chance a class schedule yet for first year students? I’ll be solo parenting until the white coat ceremony and I’m wondering if we have any mandatory classes/ events after 5:30pm. Please help lol :p
I’ve been trying to find this out as well. Looks like last year it wasn’t posted until may

I have an interview next week. I was wondering if anyone know usually how long they take to call you and let you know if you’ve been accepted or put on the waitlist? Also if they do put you on the waitlist, does anyone approximately what the chances are of getting off of the waitlist?

I have an interview next week. I was wondering if anyone know usually how long they take to call you and let you know if you’ve been accepted or put on the waitlist? Also if they do put you on the waitlist, does anyone approximately what the chances are of getting off of the waitlist?
They’ll let you know either the following week Wednesday or Thursday or in two weeks. They call you for acceptance only though, idk about waitlist.

The timing and method can vary. I interviewed on a monday and was accepted 3 days later by email, no call. Just keep regularly checking inbox/spam and phone.

The timing and method can vary. I interviewed on a monday and was accepted 3 days later by email, no call. Just keep regularly checking inbox/spam and phone.

Yes true bc the commitee meets on Wednesday lol so if you interviewed Monday, you’ll hear rather quickly, than if you interview on Thursday. Btw, did your portal change first and then got an email?

Yes true bc the commitee meets on Wednesday lol so if you interviewed Monday, you’ll hear rather quickly, than if you interview on Thursday. Btw, did your portal change first and then got an email?
They offered an interview date early March which was in a Monday but I chose the earlier date in February thinking it would help my case choosing the earlier date. Was this wrong thinking or should I be okay?

They offered an interview date early March which was in a Monday but I chose the earlier date in February thinking it would help my case choosing the earlier date. Was this wrong thinking or should I be okay?

you’re fine. I chose a Thursday date too bc I wanted to go for earlier, the Better mentality.As long as they have seats opened and interview goes well, the date doesn’t matter that much. Lol I am just being neurotic right now lol.

you’re fine. I chose a Thursday date too bc I wanted to go for earlier, the Better mentality.As long as they have seats opened and interview goes well, the date doesn’t matter that much. Lol I am just being neurotic right now lol.
I'm on the same boat. I interviewed friday and I'm so nervous for decision. I'm also being neurotic lol