2019-2020 West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When are you interviewing?

In two weeks! Yeah, any information that you think is helpful/resourceful, I would highly appreciate it. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Howdy, y'all!

Can anyone comment what interview day was like? Any tips? Closed/Open File? I'd love any bit of information... I'll promise to be friends :)

I mentioned this a few weeks ago:

"The interview is low stress I can 100% guarantee you that. But they will ask you difficult questions about yourself that you definitely don't want to be caught off guard by. For example, they asked me about one of my grades I got from a few years ago. They also asked why I hadn't considered doing pharmacy because of prior work experience as well as any differences in observations I had made while shadowing MDs vs. DOs.

My advice to you, you're going to have a conversation about yourself, your past experiences, and your future aspirations. Be comfortable with your past experiences, be able to explain and converse about them. Lastly, BE YOURSELF. I know that sounds cliche but it's the advantage of a traditional interview format compared to a MMI. You get to explain your thoughts and past and give them insight into who you are.

You're going to do great! Best of luck."

Hope that helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just noticed that they uploaded my LORs to the checklist today. Can anyone confirm if this is indicative of receiving an interview invite in near future?

I just noticed that they uploaded my LORs to the checklist today. Can anyone confirm if this is indicative of receiving an interview invite in near future?
Yes!

Interviewing on February 20th. Anyone have any updates on whether they are only interviewing for a waitlist at this point or how I can go about finding out this information?

Interviewing on February 20th. Anyone have any updates on whether they are only interviewing for a waitlist at this point or how I can go about finding out this information?
Once I hear back from them I will let you know. I interviewed on the 23rd

Hi everyone:) was wondering if any current students can give insight on working while in school? Does WVSOM offer students any opportunity to get student jobs at the library or anything? I know classes and all would be a handful but I find myself doing better when I have extra things on the side like working

Lol is it not a valid question to ask if students work on campus?
It is a valid question, the other user just chose to "throwaway" their manners when answering.

I'm not a current student but I have interviewed there and have several friends that attend WVSOM and just like any med school program, squeezing in work is difficult. However, they do offer summer research positions and i've even heard of a GTA position you can apply for which adds an extra year to the program but pays for 1 year of your tuition. Hope that helps!

It is a valid question, the other user just chose to "throwaway" their manners when answering.

I'm not a current student but I have interviewed there and have several friends that attend WVSOM and just like any med school program, squeezing in work is difficult. However, they do offer summer research positions and i've even heard of a GTA position you can apply for which adds an extra year to the program but pays for 1 year of your tuition. Hope that helps!
Very punny

Yes that helps! Thanks for the reply

My interview is Feb 24th. Any idea if at this point just interviewing for Waitlist?? What has turn around time on decision been post-interview?? Would greatly appreciate if those with other acceptances could withdraw their apps as this is my only interview invite thus far. :SS How good are chances of getting accepted post-interview? Read somewhere it's like 80% acceptance whereas a friend told me more like 1/3 during her cycle 3-4 years ago. So nervous, I really want to get in!!

The post interview acceptance rate is in fact in the 80th percentile.

Faculty has been sending out decisions a week after the interview (give or take a day).

It’s most likely not a waitlist interview.

Anyone who has received an acceptance recently has two weeks to submit their deposit and secure their spot. Don’t worry about people holding onto multiple acceptances. Focus on your interview. Know your application, have a few key points you want to talk about and in general, enjoy the day and be yourself.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The post interview acceptance rate is in fact in the 80th percentile.

Faculty has been sending out decisions a week after the interview (give or take a day).

It’s most likely not a waitlist interview.

Anyone who has received an acceptance recently has two weeks to submit their deposit and secure their spot. Don’t worry about people holding onto multiple acceptances. Focus on your interview. Know your application, have a few key points you want to talk about and in general, enjoy the day and be yourself.
Thanks!! That's really helpful. Has it worked out for anyone to request earlier interview dates? Aka interview slots that might have opened up due to cancellations/ app withdrawals? I've emailed them this morning to ask about potential earlier dates. No reply yet. Think I should call in tomorrow?

My interview is Feb 24th. Any idea if at this point just interviewing for Waitlist?? What has turn around time on decision been post-interview?? Would greatly appreciate if those with other acceptances could withdraw their apps as this is my only interview invite thus far. :SS How good are chances of getting accepted post-interview? Read somewhere it's like 80% acceptance whereas a friend told me more like 1/3 during her cycle 3-4 years ago. So nervous, I really want to get in!!
Echoing @rahrahb, you have a great chances post interview! Just be ready to show your passion for DO and rural/underserved medical care and show that you have read up on the school and all that it has to offer. It’s a relaxed interview so take deep breaths and go in with confidence!

Reactions: 1 users
I have an interview here on Thursday and I absolutely love the school! I’m nervous though that they’re just interviewing for the waitlist now. Has anyone been put on the waitlist yet?

I am an accepted student here at WVSOM. If any of the applicants have any questions about the interview and want to know what my experience was like, please feel free to DM me.

Happy to help at any time. I'll be checking SDN each day at 8:00 PM (PST)

Reactions: 3 users
Received II this morning. II for March 2nd!!! So excited. Looks like having LORs uploaded to the portal is really indicative of receiving II as my letters were uploaded on January 30th.

Reactions: 3 users
I just withdrew my acceptance. It was a very, very hard decision to make because WVSOM was my favorite school I interviewed at.

Best of luck to all you attending. I know they’ll treat you all well.

Reactions: 5 users
Hi everyone:) was wondering if any current students can give insight on working while in school? Does WVSOM offer students any opportunity to get student jobs at the library or anything? I know classes and all would be a handful but I find myself doing better when I have extra things on the side like working
Yes there are summer research positions. If you want to do this between 1st and 2nd year, make sure you contact professors early in the year as there are only limited spots. You can apply to be a GTA (graduate teaching assistant) during 2nd year. There are a few spots and it's usually very competitive. As a GTA you divide 3rd year into 2 years so you get 5 years of medical school. But with that you'll get tuition paid for your last years and you'll also receive a salary.
During the school year, there are a lot of on-campus jobs that you can do. These are work-study and usually pay about $11.50/hr. It just depends on what you'd like to do.

Withdrew my interview! Hope it goes to one of you.

Torn between ACOM, LECOM-B and VCOM-A, but I'm leaning towards ACOM

congrats, mate. Interview season was a prosperous one for you! ACOM is great from everything I’ve heard. I’ve met some residents from ACOM and they loved it. What are some things you considered with this decision?

I just withdrew my acceptance. It was a very, very hard decision to make because WVSOM was my favorite school I interviewed at.

Best of luck to all you attending. I know they’ll treat you all well.

Best of luck to you too! Which schools are you deciding between now?

Best of luck to you too! Which schools are you deciding between now?

Thank you. I’m attending ACOM because it’s closer to my family (spouse and kids).

I hope you love WVSOM!

congrats, mate. Interview season was a prosperous one for you! ACOM is great from everything I’ve heard. I’ve met some residents from ACOM and they loved it. What are some things you considered with this decision?

Quality of match rates, tuition and proximity to home. WVSOM is a great program and if it were closer to home it'd be one of my top choices.

What’s the style of the interview? Is it one-on-one, two-on-one, or in a group? Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Just got accepted call from the Director of Admissions!

Reactions: 4 users
Just got accepted call from the Director of Admissions!
Cool congrats! Just wondering since I obvi didn't meet you, when was your interview? Was turn around time 1-2 weeks for decision post interview? :)

Hello, I was wondering if someone would be able to give me an idea of what my chances are like at getting into WVSOM?
I have received an interview offer for February 28th and I have been reading a lot of things where people say that an interview this late may just be for the waitlist spot and then I have also read where people say that there is a high chance, 70%-80%, of getting accepted to WVSOM after interviewing.

My stats: 3.3 sGPA 3.4 cGPA 496 MCAT. The low GPA is because I didn't do so hot as a freshman and first-semester sophomore year but the trend of my grades has been going upward, straight A's, ever since and my MCAT score is low because I did terrible on CAR and subpar on Psych but did well on Chem and Bio. I also have a lot of different extracurricular activities including shadowing, research, CDC internship, volunteering, and leadership roles with pretty strong LORs

I just need to calm my nerves a little bit so I was hoping if anyone who has gotten off the waitlist can give me an idea of where I stand. Also if you could tell me what the environment of the interview is like (how many other students would be there) and what is a major mistake people make to not get accepted, or waitlisted, after their interview?

Thank you :)

Last edited:
Hello, I was wondering if someone would be able to give me an idea of what my chances are like at getting into WVSOM?
I have received an interview offer for February 28th and I have been reading a lot of things where people say that an interview this late may just be for the waitlist spot and then I have also read where people say that there is a high chance, 70%-80%, of getting accepted to WVSOM after interviewing.

My stats: 3.3 sGPA 3.4 cGPA 496 MCAT. The low GPA is because I didn't do so hot as a freshman and first-semester sophomore year but the trend of my grades has been going upward, straight A's, ever since and my MCAT score is low because I did terrible on CAR and subpar on Psych but did well on Chem and Bio. I also have a lot of different extracurricular activities including shadowing, research, CDC internship, volunteering, and leadership roles with pretty strong LORs

I just need to calm my nerves a little bit so I was hoping if anyone who has gotten off the waitlist can give me an idea of where I stand. Also if you could tell me what the environment of the interview is like (how many other students would be there) and what is a major mistake people make to not get accepted, or waitlisted, after their interview?

Hey! If it make you feel better, I'm on same boat as you with my stats. I'm interviewing couple weeks before you. I feel that we just have to be able to answer some questions regarding gpa and what went wrong with mcat and hope for the best lol. Them giving you an interview is big and same for me. Just stay calm and prepare as best as you can. If we are interviewing for waitlist then I've heard wvsom does seem to pull lot of people off waitlist. Give it your best!

Last edited:
Hey! If it make you feel better, I'm on same boat as you with my stats. I'm interviewing couple weeks before you. I feel that we just have to be able to answer some questions regarding gpa and what went wrong with mcat and hope for the best lol. Them giving you an interview is big and same for me. Just stay calm and prepare as best as you can. If we are interviewing for waitlist then I've heard wvsom does seem to pull lot of people off waitlist. Give it your best!
It does give me some hope haha. Good luck with your interview. If you don't mind, could you reply after your interview and explain how it was and what sort of questions they asked you since we are similar applicants?

It does give me some hope haha. Good luck with your interview. If you don't mind, could you reply after your interview and explain how it was and what sort of questions they asked you since we are similar applicants?
Thank you. And I sure can. I'll update you. Kinda nervous tbh

If they asked you to come for an interview that means they definitely see potential and noticed your improvement! I think as long as you can really show them what you did to improve and how any failure you may have had pushed you to do better, they really like that. And show them what Makes you passionate about DO/medicine. At this point they really just want to make sure you know what you’re getting into and have confidence you can succeed :)

Reactions: 2 users