2019-2020 Washington University in St. Louis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
While you wait for a response from current students, I remember learning at two of my interviews that not every state has Family Medicine. So family med would see patients of all ages and sometimes focus on OB-GYN or pediatrics. This concept of practice simply doesn’t exist some places. This was brought up in TX and in Massachusetts (I’m pretty sure ). There are ways to work around it for people who are specifically interested in FM. But someone who knows more would have to chime in.
Definitely not the case in Missouri. SLU has an FM residency program and there's also a FM program at Mercy Hospital(also in STL).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Wondering if current students can chime in. I’m not set on a field, but definitely keeping family medicine as a possibility. I’m trying to decide between schools and realized that WashU doesn’t seem to even have a family medicine department? Also, based on this past year’s match list, no students went into FM? (I see a ton of internal and pediatrics, but not FM) Past years match lists are all password protected, so I can’t view if ANY students at WashU go into this field. Like I said, I’m definitely not set on any specialty, but I guess I’m wondering if I would have 0 mentorship/opportunities/electives if I ended up wanting to pursue FM. Would it be wiser to attend a different school that actually has this department? Is this a red flag?
You should ask in the google doc on the FB group page. I'm interested in hearing about this too!

Anybody planning to drop by/on April 30? If so, please let the AdComs know that I'm available.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a shuttle that takes med students/staff to the Central West End area? Or do you need a car to get to stores outside of the school complex/929?
There’s a Whole Foods right by the med school, but you’ll need a car to get to any other grocery stores...

Idk if this has been asked, but is the WL here ranked?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think ranked is that they’ve determined a list of applicants they’re interested in from highest to lowest and when someone withdraws they just choose #1 on the waitlist. For unranked they choose who to replace people with based on trying to maintain a certain class dynamic or stats. For example, a female withdraws they replace with a female... WashU is unranked (as far as I know) because they try to build classes with a good mix of diverse backgrounds (personally and academically).

69D56215-BDF8-4457-ACE2-12ED521ACF93.jpeg

Reactions: 6 users
Waitlist movement should be starting any minute now according to past years trends. Hopefully COVID mess doesn’t interfere.

Waitlist movement should be starting any minute now according to past years trends. Hopefully COVID mess doesn’t interfere.
Is this the first year the MD-only class is 75? Or was it last year? Plus, is it true they give nearly everyone a half or full scholarship? Say only 65 students accept, thats only 10 WL spots for a WL size that is massive, as it seems they WL nearly everyone. I am making some assumptions, so hopefully someone can clarify if any of these are wrong. But this doesn't seem like a recipe for a lot of WL movement for us :(

Is this the first year the MD-only class is 75? Or was it last year? Plus, is it true they give nearly everyone a half or full scholarship? Say only 65 students accept, thats only 10 WL spots for a WL size that is massive, as it seems they WL nearly everyone. I am making some assumptions, so hopefully someone can clarify if any of these are wrong. But this doesn't seem like a recipe for a lot of WL movement for us :(
I think both the last year's class and this year's class have the class size of 75 MD-only in order to accommodate the curricular change. not sure about anything else.

Members don't see this ad :)
Plus, is it true they give nearly everyone a half or full scholarship?

No, they don’t give scholarships to everybody. Some people get them but not everybody does.

So should I apply for the Core yet? I feel like I'm late to the game on housing, but now we don't even start until September...

So should I apply for the Core yet? I feel like I'm late to the game on housing, but now we don't even start until September...
Core is kind of pricey for what you get imo, have you looked at other options? There are some much cheaper places very close campus. Totally up to you (obviously), that’s just my opinion as someone who knows the area :)

Also, did you guys get an email telling you the start day is in September? I have friends in the med/grad program and I haven’t heard about the delayed start...

Core is kind of pricey for what you get imo, have you looked at other options? There are some much cheaper places very close campus. Totally up to you (obviously), that’s just my opinion as someone who knows the area :)

Also, did you guys get an email telling you the start day is in September? I have friends in the med/grad program and I haven’t heard about the delayed start...
Yep, got an email a few weeks ago before second look

Thanks for the heads-up. My main priority is proximity to the school. There are also plenty of cheaper options which are 10-15 minute walks. I would have no problem with 15 minutes in the daytime but am concerned about nighttime safety. However, if the question is nighttime safety, maybe it's more realistic to worry about distance to downtown areas/nightlife?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the heads-up. My main priority is proximity to the school. There are also plenty of cheaper options which are 10-15 minute walks. I would have no problem with 15 minutes in the daytime but am concerned about nighttime safety. However, if the question is nighttime safety, maybe it's more realistic to worry about distance to downtown areas/nightlife?
I saw no one responded so I thought I'd chime in. I don't go to WashU Med but I went to WashU undegrad and have lived in CWE. First and foremost, congrats! STL is awesome and you'll love it! As far as nightlife goes, it is not ALL downtown. I'd say there are 4 main areas: Downtown, CWE, Delmar Loop, and The Grove. Personally, I think CWE is best if you are looking to get a drink or two on a Friday. CWE also has the best food imo. If you're looking for "clubs" you need to go Downtown. As far as living near the Med campus and getting good nightlife, CWE is ideal. CWE is weird because you have the Euclid which is relatively safe and gorgeous, but then if you go too far north it becomes a little sketchy. I did once see a pretty awesome car chase down Euclid where the guy tried turning too hard down Maryland, wrecked his car, jumped out, and got away from the cops. Here is a crime map you may find helpful: 2019 St. Louis area homicide map. I lived pretty north in CWE (still south of Delmar) and never had a problem personally but did witness some crime. If you are dead-set on walking, CWE is probably your only option. If safety is a big concern, I would HIGHLY consider living in the neighborhood along Forsyth heading towards downtown Clayton (where many undergrads live). You'd be right next to a metro stop which takes you directly to the Med campus and you have the Delmar Loop near you as well for nightlife. You could also live on the Loop (which also has a metro stop) but it is less safe. The Loop has some great restaurants and bars and many undergrads live there. If you have a car, definitely consider the Shaw/Tower Grove area. It is gorgeous and safe, but further from nightlife and maybe a 5-10 minute drive from the Med campus. I know this is all over the place but I hope it helps! Again, best of luck and congrats! Saint Louis is an awesome city.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
FB group created three months ago has 228 members... That's lot for 100 acceptances. I understand that there are some current students as well in FB group but 128 current students????
Did they give out more acceptances? If that's the case then WL won't move.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
FB group created three months ago has 228 members... That's lot for 100 acceptances. I understand that there are some current students as well in FB group but 128 current students????
Did they give out more acceptances? If that's the case then WL won't move.
I don't think there will be much movement. An accepted friend of mine says theres ~95 people in the accepted GroupMe. They also say some are not going to WashU but thinks there is also people who haven't joined and are going. I anticipate very very little movement.

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
I don't think there will be much movement. An accepted friend of mine says theres ~95 people in the accepted GroupMe. They also say some are not going to WashU but thinks there is also people who haven't joined and are going. I anticipate very very little movement.
94 members in the GroupMe rn

Do you happen to know if they're all committed to WashU? Also the MD/MSTP breakdown?
No and no, all I know is the group is a mix of md and mstp. Nobody has left the group since Saturday.

Reactions: 3 users
They are accepting off the wait list -- just received a call from Dean Ratts with an offer of admission!

• Wow
Reactions: 23 users
Yes, I sent a letter of intent a few weeks ago and received an email response from Dean Ratts acknowledging it.

Congrats!!! This is good to hear. When you said she acknowledged it does that mean you got an email response from her personally? Also did you upload it on the portal or how did you send it?

They are accepting off the wait list -- just received a call from Dean Ratts with an offer of admission!
This is fantastic news. Congratulations!!
Did you also receive email? Portal update? Just curious in case if someone misses the call.

Congrats!!! This is good to hear. When you said she acknowledged it does that mean you got an email response from her personally? Also did you upload it on the portal or how did you send it?
Yes, she personally responded but most of it felt like that's what they send everyone who sends a LOI.

This is fantastic news. Congratulations!!
Did you also receive email? Portal update? Just curious in case if someone misses the call.
I haven't received an email yet, but my portal did update.

Is it known how many M1s are in the group? Any changes in the number over the weekend? Slowly losing my mind.

Reactions: 2 users
Is it known how many M1s are in the group? Any changes in the number over the weekend? Slowly losing my mind.
Friday my friend said some people left the group and thinks theres ~88-90 confirmed people going, but no word on MD vs. MSTP breakdown

Friday my friend said some people left the group and thinks theres ~88-90 confirmed people going, but no word on MD vs. MSTP breakdown
Well MSTP is almost definitely 20, right? And someone mentioned there are first years in the group, so the number of actual accepted students is probably even lower than 88-90! Woo!!! *desperation*

I'm not sure who said there are M1s in the groupme but as far as I know its only the incoming class! Don't want to be a downer but also don't want to get people's hopes up. There's M1s on the Facebook page but not the groupme!

I'm not sure who said there are M1s in the groupme but as far as I know its only the incoming class! Don't want to be a downer but also don't want to get people's hopes up. There's M1s on the Facebook page but not the groupme!
Post #1455...? hmm...

Whats the GroupMe size rn? Thanks btw