2019-2020 Washington University in St. Louis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Someone send their WL email pls
Your application for admission to our 2020 First Year Class has been carefully evaluated by the members of our Committee on Admissions who determined that you are well qualified for the study of medicine. However, at this time we have more outstanding applicants than available positions. Thus, I invite you to keep your application under consideration by agreeing to be on our Wait List.

While I am currently unable to offer you a place in the 2020 First Year Class, I expect to make additional offers of acceptance before the class convenes in early July. If you wish to remain a candidate for one of these positions, please let us know by responding via mdapply.wustl.edu under Admissions Decision. If you wish to enter a comment, you may use the Comment field on the response form.

To expedite the process in the event of your admission, I encourage you to complete the FAFSA.

It is extremely important for you to keep your contact information current. If your mailing address, email address or phone number changes, update the information in your AMCAS profile first, and then contact us by email at [email protected]. I shall use this information to contact you expeditiously if the status of your application changes.

I hope that you will remain under consideration because I believe you would thrive here. However, if you have made a firm decision to attend another medical school, please let me know.

So now, please login to our applicant portal and indicate your intent. I do hope that you will keep your application active.

Thank you for your continued interest in Washington University School of Medicine.

With warm personal regards.

Sincerely,

Valerie S. Ratts, M.D.

Associate Dean for Admissions

Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Not sure how ranking of US med school works but just notice that WashU ranking for 2020 for primary care was 12 and in 2021 it's 31

Although in research it went from 8 to 6 - Tied with Mayo, UCSF, UCLA and Columbia

I remember reading that 30% of that ranking comes from the number of students who go into primary care specialties. #31 is less concerning when you see that Stanford, Columbia, NYU, and Mayo are similarly ranked in primary care (or lower).

Does anyone know what the timeline for getting merit scholarships looks like? Are they still giving them out for admitted students?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you go through last year's thread there were a couple let off the waitlist April 30-May 1 who got merit scholarships! I'm sure they open up as their original recipients decline them and go elsewhere

This is exactly what I needed - thank you so much! I guess I will keep my position on the WL.

Has anyone received their need-based aid already and wouldn't mind if I DM them a question?

Definitely send FAFSA. I'm not sure about CSS because they didn't mention it in the waitlist email. And the website says submit that once you're accepted "Step 2: Once accepted into the program, additional information will be sent regarding the completion of the online CSS Profile for parents and applicants."

Wait to send CSS profile. It costs money to send it and they'll give you a fee waiver for it!

Just emailed to withdraw my acceptance + merit-scholarship, so best of luck to those on the WL!!

• Wow
Reactions: 11 users
Anyone know where I should sent a letter of intent? Should I upload it, sent to admissions email, or add in the waitlist comments?

Anyone know where I should sent a letter of intent? Should I upload it, sent to admissions email, or add in the waitlist comments?

When I called and asked about my LOI they said to upload it to the portal and to email the Office of Admissions to let them know it's been uploaded

Also - for any other accepted students, have y'all gotten your need-based financial aid package yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who got waitlisted and accepted it, what did you write in the comment box? I already sent a LOI a few weeks ago. Should I just reiterate that?

Looks like a lot less chose to specialize this year? 2019 match had a significantly higher number of derm, ortho, ophthalmology, and plastics matches.

I do remember the deans commenting last year that many folks in that m4 class were particularly interested in procedural fields. This correlated with a drop in our primary care rankings (which looks at # students matching into IM) from the top 10.

But students’ specialty interest definitely varies from year to year among the classes - and also with this year’s match to more top medical residencies, I wouldn’t be surprised if our primary care ranking rises again next year :)

I do remember the deans commenting last year that many folks in that m4 class were particularly interested in procedural fields. This correlated with a drop in our primary care rankings (which looks at # students matching into IM) from the top 10.

But students’ specialty interest definitely varies from year to year among the classes - and also with this year’s match to more top medical residencies, I wouldn’t be surprised if our primary care ranking rises again next year :)
Very helpful to know, thank you!

Does anyone know if merit aid for accepted students is still going out?

Likewise, is it true that half-tuition scholarships have been granted to all students? Likewise, are these half-tuition scholarships given to students accepted off the wait-list.

Likewise, is it true that half-tuition scholarships have been granted to all students? Likewise, are these half-tuition scholarships given to students accepted off the wait-list.

I haven't heard about half tuition being given to all students, only some

If you look at historical threads, you will see that people off of the wait list are sometimes offered full tuition scholarships. It would be to your advantage to be on the wait list and express interest in the school if you are motivated to attend.

Another thing worth mentioning - I apologize if it’s come up on this thread before - but in light of nationwide racial disparities affecting nominations, WashU has joined Harvard, Stanford, and Yale in not having AOA!! This is a huge step forward in terms of fostering a supportive, non-competitive, stress-free true P/F environment, and will not be hurting us in the Match (there is a spot on ERAS for program directors to see that the school doesn’t offer AOA, and WashU is also proactively reaching out to program directors to communicate this change). One more thing for y’all to consider!

Reactions: 3 users
Another thing worth mentioning - I apologize if it’s come up on this thread before - but in light of nationwide racial disparities affecting nominations, WashU has joined Harvard, Stanford, and Yale in not having AOA!! This is a huge step forward in terms of fostering a supportive, non-competitive, stress-free true P/F environment, and will not be hurting us in the Match (there is a spot on ERAS for program directors to see that the school doesn’t offer AOA, and WashU is also proactively reaching out to program directors to communicate this change). One more thing for y’all to consider!
is this potentially a negative considering the pass/fail change to step 1?

It could be a positive given that school reputation may play a bigger role in matching. The vast majority of students don't get AOA at a given institution (I believe only ~20% of a class gets AOA).

It could be a positive given that school reputation may play a bigger role in matching. The vast majority of students don't get AOA at a given institution (I believe only ~20% of a class gets AOA).

agreed. While not having AOA might hurt schools with lower name recognition, it would be helpful to students from institutions with higher school reputations. We know how well Harvard, Yale, and Stanford match without AOA, and with our residency PD rankings at least on par with those 3, not having AOA seems to be a good move as far as matching goes.

Positive if you weren’t going to get AOA anyways. Negative if you would have gotten AOA. I hate how people always spin these things as 100% positive for all, but really it is an individual-basis situation. (As are many other things in life)

Does anyone know the pace of WL movement typically/by what month is WL movement pretty much done? Also I assume we're anticipating a lot less movement than normal due to a smaller MD-only class size, correct? Also does anyone have any info on the size of the WL? This feels like it could be similar to a drawn-out breakup.

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone start to receive financial aid info/when we can expect it?

Has anyone received word on merit scholarships recently? I have seen mostly half tuition specified in this thread but don't know if full tuition or other amounts have been given out yet or if any merit scholarships are expected to be announced in the coming weeks. Looking at the forum for last year, they released some merit scholarships up through April but don't know what timeline they are on this cycle.

For those with merit scholarships, did they appear on your financial aid portal as well or is that completely separate?

Thanks!

My documents were received between 3/17 and 3/19, and my file was complete on 3/19. I was told when I asked the financial aid office that my file was "in line for processing" and should be complete "soon". Hoping for decent aid there.

As for merit aid, I'm really hoping for a half tuition scholarship but am not expecting anything, especially since I sent a letter of intent. I'm estimating that the total COA this year will be close to $89k ($2k more than last year's incoming class), and half tuition brings that down to $55k before need-based aid. Maybe since it's a smaller class there'll be more scholarship, but I'm definitely worried about overall cost.

My documents were received between 3/17 and 3/19, and my file was complete on 3/19. I was told when I asked the financial aid office that my file was "in line for processing" and should be complete "soon". Hoping for decent aid there.

As for merit aid, I'm really hoping for a half tuition scholarship but am not expecting anything, especially since I sent a letter of intent. I'm estimating that the total COA this year will be close to $89k ($2k more than last year's incoming class), and half tuition brings that down to $55k before need-based aid. Maybe since it's a smaller class there'll be more scholarship, but I'm definitely worried about overall cost.
Given that you sent a letter of intent, I have a question for you out of my own curiosity.

If another school gives you a fudge ton of cash, will you still go to WashU?

Given that you sent a letter of intent, I have a question for you out of my own curiosity.

If another school gives you a fudge ton of cash, will you still go to WashU?

If Wash U gave me nothing or expected $70k a year I'd have a really tough decision. Wash U is my top choice by far, and it's more important to me to go there than to be less in debt, but $280-$360k worth of debt is...a lot.

I guess my plan is to see what the need-based aid is going to be and then try to negotiate if it isn't enough (e.g. let them know that I need more to be able to afford life, ask if the merit committee is still meeting, etc).

I sent a letter of intent and received half tuition for what it’s worth

I wonder if the merit committee hasn't been meeting as much due to the current situation. Also for what it's worth the tuition letter and financial aid tab said most scholarships are awarded in mid to late April, so it seems like settling in for the wait is the right call.

So...all of this to say, the money is making me nervous too and I really hope Wash U takes pity on my broke butt

I'd anticipate some scholarships being distributed as more people drop their acceptances

I'm WL'ed. I've already completed FAFSA. Is there anything else I need to do to apply for financial aid at Wash U at the moment?

I'm WL'ed. I've already completed FAFSA. Is there anything else I need to do to apply for financial aid at Wash U at the moment?

If you haven't filled out the CSS profile yet you might want to, if you have the time and/or nothing else to do. Don't send it in yet, though - if you're accepted they'll give you a reduced fee!

If you haven't filled out the CSS profile yet you might want to, if you have the time and/or nothing else to do. Don't send it in yet, though - if you're accepted they'll give you a reduced fee!
Thanks! I completed it late last night. I sent it in for a different school. Hopefully, I'll get to send it for Wash U.

Since I no longer have MSAR access and I can't find any other posts about this, does anyone know if WashU is receptive to requests to defer matriculation? It's my top choice right now but I'd want to defer for a year due to some family financial difficulties coming from COVID-19. I have a well-paying job (not at all related to medicine though) lined up and it could really help pay for my family's expenses and I think I could also use a year off to prevent burnout :/

Does WashU have internal ranking? I know they just got rid of AOA but is rank still reported to PDs?

Does anyone know what the dating scene is like in St. Louis? Lol

• Hmm
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know what the dating scene is like in St. Louis? Lol
This heavily depends on who you are and what your preferences are. I recommend reaching out to current medical students and asking them about their experiences with dating during medical school.