2019-2020 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYITCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone. Congrats on getting to the application stage on your journey! I'm also going to be OMS-1 starting classes next week at the OW campus. Hopefully, once I've gone through orientation and have gotten more familiar with the school, I'll be able to answer some of your questions as the application cycle progresses.

For now, I wish all of you the best of luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Hi everyone. Congrats on getting to the application stage on your journey! I'm also going to be OMS-1 starting classes next week at the OW campus. Hopefully, once I've gone through orientation and have gotten more familiar with the school, I'll be able to answer some of your questions as the application cycle progresses.

Thank you :) Good luck on your first week of medical school!!

Reactions: 1 user

Congratulations! on getting accepted to NYITCOM. Where you instate or OOS? and what were your stats if you don't mind me asking?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,
I'm considering adding this school to my list, however I noticed in their LOR requirements they want 3 letters from faculty that have taught you. I only have 2 that are both from my post bacc, as I graduated undergrad over 3 year ago.... but I do have a letter from a DO and a letter from my PI at my full-time research job. Any thoughts or knowledge on how strict this LOR requirement is?
Thanks!
Do you think its weird to send an updated recommendation letter from the same recommender (a year later)

Do you think its weird to send an updated recommendation letter from the same recommender (a year later)
Is this for reapplication?? I don't think so, especially if it's updated I think that would be okay!

Congratulations! on getting accepted to NYITCOM. Where you instate or OOS? and what were your stats if you don't mind me asking?
Thank you very much :D
I'm in-state. As for stats, for the sake of anonymity, my overall GPA was above 3.75 with science GPA was above 3.8. My MCAT score was a 506. ORM.

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone heard back for II? NYITCOM was the first school I submitted to on the first week of July

Has anyone heard back for II? NYITCOM was the first school I submitted to on the first week of July
Last cycle, IIs started going out in August. If this cycle follows similarly to what happened last cycle, IIs should be going out soon!

Anyone having issues accessing the application portal? I log in and my application status is "in progress." I submitted on July 17 and my committee letter was uploaded to AACOMAS on the 18th. I want to check if they received it but I can't see anything besides "in progress."

How do I update a specific school for future MCAT score, without updating it for all the schools? I want to send my new MCAT score only yo NYCOM, however, I want other schools to review my app and not hold it.

Probably a dumb question and I don't know if this has been addressed in this thread yet (I only skimmed) but what kind of photo do they want? Like a professional photo that i should where a shirt and tie for?

Probably a dumb question and I don't know if this has been addressed in this thread yet (I only skimmed) but what kind of photo do they want? Like a professional photo that i should where a shirt and tie for?
I recommend a professional photo or at least business casual (without tie).

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a general question, doesn’t specifically apply to this school. But for school’s that ask for letters from a science prof, do you guys think a science LAB (like chem lab) prof is okay?

This is a general question, doesn’t specifically apply to this school. But for school’s that ask for letters from a science prof, do you guys think a science LAB (like chem lab) prof is okay?

No they want a course not a lab.

I would call and ask. If the person has a PhD and was your lab instructor (and the lab was directly tied to a course), then I dont see the problem. But CALL NYITCOM!

Reactions: 1 users
Went for Jonesboro. Don't want to live in a big city like NY. Honestly wasn't going to submit the secondary, but I got a reminder email for the 10 days (yesterday) and was like... MEH. $80, however, is not insignificant. I hope I at least get a II.

Went for Jonesboro. Don't want to live in a big city like NY. Honestly wasn't going to submit the secondary, but I got a reminder email for the 10 days (yesterday) and was like... MEH. $80, however, is not insignificant. I hope I at least get a II.

Oh and also
  • NYITCOM at A-State is among the first medical schools in the U.S. to train first-year students to deliver care via telemedicine (the use of telecommunication and information technology to provide clinical health care from a distance).

Last edited by a moderator:
Did anyone else get a secondary from them before their AACOMAS was even verified?

for the question "describe the community in which you see yourself practicing medicine" do you guys think they are asking about big city vs town or like hospital vs clinic?

Oh and also
  • NYITCOM at A-State is among the first medical schools in the U.S. to train first-year students to deliver care via telemedicine (the use of telecommunication and information technology to provide clinical health care from a distance).
NO, NO, and NO. Direct patient contact please.

I feel like this would be more prone to law suits.

for the question "describe the community in which you see yourself practicing medicine" do you guys think they are asking about big city vs town or like hospital vs clinic?

Discuss both. But mainly want to talk about urban, suburban, rural, underserved, etc.

Does anyone have an idea of how the Ark. campus' Comlex or USMLE went this year? I know there has just been one class to take the first one so far...

Hey. Did any of you get the email for the supplemental questions even before verification?
I did, but I applied just this past week. I got the secondary the day after I submitted my primary... or maybe even the same day. I'm pretty sure they just send the secondary out to people who meet the minimum requirements.

Do you guys think it’s generally a bad idea to say “No” for question #2?
I prefer Arkansas, and I am growing fairly confident (for long-winded and complex reasons) that I’d rather be a reapplicant than move to NY. To each his own, right?

Do you guys think it’s generally a bad idea to say “No” for question #2?
I prefer Arkansas, and I am growing fairly confident (for long-winded and complex reasons) that I’d rather be a reapplicant than move to NY. To each his own, right?

I said no. By saying yes you’re telling them that you’re okay with them considering you for either campus. If you don’t think you’d choose NY if they gave you an interview, then why bother saying you would? They will just consider you for AR if you say no!

I said no. By saying yes you’re telling them that you’re okay with them considering you for either campus. If you don’t think you’d choose NY if they gave you an interview, then why bother saying you would? They will just consider you for AR if you say no!
I agree with this. I was worried at first, but I realized how unhappy and ineffective my learning environment would be if I chose to go to a school whose mission focuses on rural medicine... something that does not flow with my own personal mission as a future physician.

I agree with this. I was worried at first, but I realized how unhappy and ineffective my learning environment would be if I chose to go to a school whose mission focuses on rural medicine... something that does not flow with my own personal mission as a future physician.
Thanks for the responses! As I continued to develop my other secondary answers I came to similar conclusions, even if my personal preferences are flip-flopped from yours.

Does anyone have insight into how strict the 10-day deadline for submitting the secondary is? I've become, predictably, swamped with secondaries and am approaching 14 days since submitting my primary. I am basically ready to submit but have a sinking feeling that I'm wasting my time and money at this point...

Does anyone have insight into how strict the 10-day deadline for submitting the secondary is? I've become, predictably, swamped with secondaries and am approaching 14 days since submitting my primary. I am basically ready to submit but have a sinking feeling that I'm wasting my time and money at this point...
It is not strict. It is something made up by neurotic premeds. If you get it within the first month youre fine.
I submitted one MD school app four weeks later and received an interview.
please dont fall into the "you must submit within 2 weeks" deadline that is made up. Although I would not submit TOO FAR like more than a month. It may seen that youre disinterested but even then, life happens!

Go ahead and submit. Its early but not too early. There will be tons of people submitting all August.

It is not strict. It is something made up by neurotic premeds. If you get it within the first month youre fine.
I submitted one MD school app four weeks later and received an interview.
please dont fall into the "you must submit within 2 weeks" deadline that is made up. Although I would not submit TOO FAR like more than a month. It may seen that youre disinterested but even then, life happens!

Go ahead and submit. Its early but not too early. There will be tons of people submitting all August.

I think they asked because NYIT had a specific statement in the secondary email that said to complete it within 10 days! I’m not sure how strict that is, but I kind of viewed that as an important deadline. Also, some schools do suggest having the secondary in within 2 weeks of getting the email, so although it is a neurotic premed idea, it’s not totally made up.

Do it within 10 days. They track it - I got a reminder email on the 11th day and filled it out then.

II just now! Complete 6/27, OOS

Reactions: 3 users
II! OOS, LM 68, First interview date is September 5 through september. Complete 6/28.

Reactions: 4 users
II! IS, honestly don’t know when I was complete because they were waiting for my LOR, but sometime after 7/2

Edit: for Long Island campus

Last edited: