2019-2020 Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MSUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted by phone off of T1 Waitlist. Interviewed 02/20

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
just got my financial aid package for the fall and spring semesters, haven't gotten one for this summer semester though....

Last edited:
What changes should we be looking for on the portal to accept and put the deposit down after receiving the call?

What changes should we be looking for on the portal to accept and put the deposit down after receiving the call?

The person that called me said they were going to email us an official “welcome” package on Monday, so maybe more instructions to come?

Reactions: 1 users
waitlisted about a week ago ! Hoping for some more waitlist movement soon. I’m happy to hear the waitlist started moving though !!
Does anyone know how many people are usually put on each tier and If everyone from the T1 waitlist usually get off the waitlist ?

still new to sdn .. Was a spectator on SDN , and thought I’d just make an account lol

Anyone receive any info about scholarships from MSUCOM? Are scholarships included in financial aid or are they announced separately?

waitlisted about a week ago ! Hoping for some more waitlist movement soon. I’m happy to hear the waitlist started moving though !!
Does anyone know how many people are usually put on each tier and If everyone from the T1 waitlist usually get off the waitlist ?

still new to sdn .. Was a spectator on SDN , and thought I’d just make an account lol
Based on last year's SDN thread, it looks like they pulled everyone from T1 waitlist and started working on T2 in mid-May.

Based on last year's SDN thread, it looks like they pulled everyone from T1 waitlist and started working on T2 in mid-May.

thank you! Hopefully it’s like that as well this year and we get a lot of waitlist movement . This whole pandemic makes me feel like a lot of things are unpredictable this year .

With pre-II rejection, was anyone else given the opportunity to discuss your application with the admission team?

Members don't see this ad :)
Called financial aid today and they said Summer 20 packages have not been given out but you do need to have MSU listed as a school in your 2019 FAFSA if you haven't done so yet.

Have you guys seen a match list for the class of 2020? I’ve been looking everywhere with no luck

Is anybody who was OOS done their fingerprints? Could you PM me I just had some quick questions about how to do it correctly.

On the Graduate Professional Application, under "List All Activities," do we basically list everything from our application? Or is it just what we have done since submission?

Did you receive the email that they are reducing OOS tuition by 25%? So 87K will go to roughly 65K which is much more reasonable
I received this email this morning. I had previously declined the offer (was accepted in December). o_O

Does anyone know what User ID we are supposed to use to log into the MSUCOM app? I have tried just about every single one I can think of and have had no luck. Thanks!

Does anybody know if the Sports Medicine OMT 2 year elective would be good for applying to residencies? I'm interested in sports medicine and was thinking about applying to orthopedics. Not sure though.

Anyone not receive their PIN/PAN information? I was accepted last Fall and haven’t received any information. I emailed registration and they said I needed to speak with COM Admissions. I spoke to admissions that said I needed to talk to someone at Admissions/Registrar. I was wondering if anyone has been able to get this information and from what office? You can message me about it.

I was more recently admitted and haven’t received mine yet either. I haven’t received an email with this information yet. Most of the onboarding items require using the PIN/PAN number so would like to get access relatively soon.

Any chance the rest of 3/6 hears back today? This week seemed pretty silent.

Does anybody know if the Sports Medicine OMT 2 year elective would be good for applying to residencies? I'm interested in sports medicine and was thinking about applying to orthopedics. Not sure though.

This is thinking really far ahead but I love that you know what you want!

I’m also very interested in ortho, and have researched it pretty extensively (both online and through shadowing). I’d say the most important things for snagging a coveted ortho residency would be (in no particular order); COMLEX 600+ club and USMLE 245+, research, away rotations at the hospital that has a residency you’re specifically interested in/relevant electives, and AOA.

Take that with a grain of salt as I too am only a soon-to-be M1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is thinking really far ahead but I love that you know what you want!

I’m also very interested in ortho, and have researched it pretty extensively (both online and through shadowing). I’d say the most important things for snagging a coveted ortho residency would be (in no particular order); COMLEX 600+ club and USMLE 245+, research, away rotations at the hospital that has a residency you’re specifically interested in/relevant electives, and AOA.

Take that with a grain of salt as I too am only a soon-to-be M1

This is my thought too while I’m not currently interested in ortho per se will this elective take away valuable time I could be conducting research? That’s my biggest concern right now. I didn’t get accepted yet but I still thought about it.

This is my thought too while I’m not currently interested in ortho per se will this elective take away valuable time I could be conducting research? That’s my biggest concern right now. I didn’t get accepted yet but I still thought about it.

I don’t think any elective is a net-negative for any med student tbh, unless you 100% know what you want to do by that point. In terms of research, I don’t think it would be too hard to juggle research with your electives (it’ll definitely be a grind, but that’s what we’re signing up for!). Again this is just my opinion on the matter from talking with med students, residents, and docs so it’s definitely not gonna apply to everyone, but this is my take!

Hey do you guys know when the last day to withdraw our acceptance is? I’m accepted here and will be attending so far, but I’m also on a couple waitlists so I’m unsure if my plans will change last minute

Hey do you guys know when the last day to withdraw our acceptance is? I’m accepted here and will be attending so far, but I’m also on a couple waitlists so I’m unsure if my plans will change last minute

I’m currently in the same boat

Aren’t there certain guidelines for traffics rules
For DO schools as well that a person had to obide by? I’m going to double check now . If I find anything I’ll repost.

Update :
Found the traffic guidelines for DO schools . So need to withdraw from all acceptances by May 14 and keep one from my understanding so it’s like the MD version of April 30th, where you can only hold one acceptance by then right ?

“Therefore, prior to May 15, applicants need to withdraw from any college(s) which they do not plan to attend and only hold a position at one COM to avoid having positions withdrawn.” - on website above ^^

Last edited:
Tier 1 waitlist today. Was originally in the 3/13 II group but that got postponed due to COVID-19. Hoping there’s more movement soon.

Reactions: 2 users
Tier 1 waitlist today. Was originally in the 3/13 II group but that got postponed due to COVID-19. Hoping there’s more movement soon.
Same. I really hope everyone from Tier 1 gets a seat like previous year.

I hope they make some acceptance calls today ! Feels like there hasn’t been much movement lately .

I hope they make some acceptance calls today ! Feels like there hasn’t been much movement lately .

I feel like it is going much slower than past years. Do you think at least the tier 1 still have a chance?

I feel like it is going much slower than past years. Do you think at least the tier 1 still have a chance?
There’s still about 2 months left before classes start and since tier 1 has shown a high rate of acceptance in the past, I’d imagine that there’s a good chance still. Corona just slowing things down but I’m sure that they’re still doing their due diligence!

Reactions: 2 users

It seems like it has been slower than past years, but yesterday and Monday some people did get placed on the waitlist which means they’re still working through . I looked at previous threads and a lot of people on Tier 1 got off the waitlist every year . Hopefully it’s the same as last year where everyone off Tier 1 gets off the waitlist , but I think we can only wait and see how things turn out ? I’m really hoping tier 1 has a chance.

The covid-19 virus seems to have slowed the process, which makes me nervous as there’s a month and a half until classes start (approx). But I was predicting their might be calls today because usually from what I’ve been seeing calls have been going out on Friday’s . Hope we see lots of movement

Being on lockdown doesn’t help with the anxiety for waiting

It seems like it has been slower than past years, but yesterday and Monday some people did get placed on the waitlist which means they’re still working through . I looked at previous threads and a lot of people on Tier 1 got off the waitlist every year . Hopefully it’s the same as last year where everyone off Tier 1 gets off the waitlist , but I think we can only wait and see how things turn out ? I’m really hoping tier 1 has a chance.

The covid-19 virus seems to have slowed the process, which makes me nervous as there’s a month and a half until classes start (approx). But I was predicting their might be calls today because usually from what I’ve been seeing calls have been going out on Friday’s . Hope we see lots of movement

Being on lockdown doesn’t help with the anxiety for waiting

HAHA I feel the same way. I have also seen most people get accepted on Friday. The waiting game is the worst but let's just hope for the best.

Also tier one, honestly been vibing. Whatever happens happens. I wouldn’t stress out too much it’s just a matter of time. Hakuna matata yo

Does anyone know how we are supposed to pay for the summer tuition that is due by May 11th if their financial aid website is saying our loans won't come in until 10 days before school starts?

And what happens if we’re accepted after May 11 I would try emailing them regarding this ^^ for the above comment

And what happens if we’re accepted after May 11 I would try emailing them regarding this ^^ for the above comment

I think they’ll just make some sort of accommodation or changes for the people accepted after that. Maybe extend pay due date or something. Because I heard people get accepted week before orientation.

I’m currently waiting to hear back from another school (which i won’t know until the end of May) but MSU requires a minimum amount due (in tuition) by April 28th in order to confirm registration (at least that’s what I’m gathering from the StuInfo site). The minimum amount due is like $4,500 which is a LOT of money to throw away if I end up not going to MSU. Is anyone else in this situation too?

I’m currently waiting to hear back from another school (which i won’t know until the end of May) but MSU requires a minimum amount due (in tuition) by April 28th in order to confirm registration (at least that’s what I’m gathering from the StuInfo site). The minimum amount due is like $4,500 which is a LOT of money to throw away if I end up not going to MSU. Is anyone else in this situation too?

I am!! The deadline for minimum payment is extended to May 11th so that should help us a little, and then if it gets to that point and I’m not sure yet I’m planning on emailing one of the financial aid people for a possible extension

I am!! The deadline for minimum payment is extended to May 11th so that should help us a little, and then if it gets to that point and I’m not sure yet I’m planning on emailing one of the financial aid people for a possible extension

Just emailed a question about a potential extension so I guess we’ll see!

Just emailed a question about a potential extension so I guess we’ll see!

I'm in the same situation as well! I'm also on the waitlist of a couple other schools and I know I might not hear back from them until even July. I was thinking about just taking out a loan for the summer tuition at MSUCOM because summer loans at MSUCOM are based off of the 2019-2020 FAFSA so I wouldn't have to fill out the 2020-2021 FAFSA for MSUCOM until later and would only have to waste summer tuition loans on MSU if I end up going somewhere else. Can you let us know what they say about the potential extension please!

I'm in the same situation as well! I'm also on the waitlist of a couple other schools and I know I might not hear back from them until even July. I was thinking about just taking out a loan for the summer tuition at MSUCOM because summer loans at MSUCOM are based off of the 2019-2020 FAFSA so I wouldn't have to fill out the 2020-2021 FAFSA for MSUCOM until later and would only have to waste summer tuition loans on MSU if I end up going somewhere else. Can you let us know what they say about the potential extension please!

It would be extremely scummy to enroll here and then leave for another school after classes begin, effectively taking away a spot from another applicant that would not be able to get filled.

It would be extremely scummy to enroll here and then leave for another school after classes begin, effectively taking away a spot from another applicant that would not be able to get filled.
When did I say I would do that? Paying for summer tuition with a loan allows me to buy time and have the opportunity to get off the waitlist from another school up until June which is when I would either withdraw my acceptance from MSUCOM if accepted elsewhere so the spot can go to someone else or commit to going to MSCOM.