2019-2020 Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MSUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Secondary Prompt:
Why are you applying to Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine? (250 words)

What is your impact on your community? (500 words)

Describe an interpersonal interaction you experienced in which you were dissatisfied with the outcome. How would you approach it differently now? (250 words)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Does anyone know when the the latest would be to submit your primary app to be considered "early" in the app cycle?

Hey everyone,

I'm now a few years out but am happy to answer any questions that come up -- I'll definitely defer any detailed questions about applying or coursework to current students, though. Good luck in the application process!

Does anyone know when the the latest would be to submit your primary app to be considered "early" in the app cycle?
I would aim to submit your application within a few weeks of it being available. The rolling admissions really favors immediate applicants.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Former Michigander and current TX resident here. Do you think it’s worth applying here given their 10% OOS matriculant history? Born and raised in SE Michigan and still have ties there. Moved about 8 years ago. LizzyM of 67 and two years working in healthcare.

Former Michigander and current TX resident here. Do you think it’s worth applying here given their 10% OOS matriculant history? Born and raised in SE Michigan and still have ties there. Moved about 8 years ago. LizzyM of 67 and two years working in healthcare.
Any family ties remaining in Michigan and/or any way you can qualify for Michigan residency based on MSU criteria? With the cost of schools in Texas (affordable) versus the cost of MSU as an out-of-state student (ridiculous), I would put all of my eggs into the Texas basket if I were you. If money is no object, however, then I would give it a go.

Any family ties remaining in Michigan and/or any way you can qualify for Michigan residency based on MSU criteria? With the cost of schools in Texas (affordable) versus the cost of MSU as an out-of-state student (ridiculous), I would put all of my eggs into the Texas basket if I were you. If money is no object, however, then I would give it a go.

I applied last cycle TMDSAS only, received 5 II, but didn’t match anywhere. So, I’m forced to apply OOS this cycle.

I still have relatives and friends there, but no immediate family. My parents still have my childhood home there but no one has lived in it for 3 years or so. Idk if that would help qualify me.

EDIT: It doesn’t.

I applied last cycle TMDSAS only, received 5 II, but didn’t match anywhere. So, I’m forced to apply OOS this cycle.

I still have relatives and friends there, but no immediate family. My parents still have my childhood home there but no one has lived in it for 3 years or so. Idk if that would help qualify me.

EDIT: It doesn’t.
Got it. Agreed that a wide net is advisable this time around.

Yes, it sounds like you wouldn't qualify for in-state tuition. However, I believe there is a significant scholarship available to out-of-state students that helps to bring the cost down somewhat.

Anyhow, I think you have a reasonable shot based on the information you provided and would at least recommend applying.

Reactions: 1 users
Number one choice! Good luck everyone :thumbup:

What do you think the time frame is for secondary applications to be sent out after submitting your primary? According to AACOMAS, June 14th is when schools start receiving applications. So I know it’s only been a few days into the cycle but was just curious.

Still waiting for secondary. Already verified by AACOMAS.

I’ve sent my primary application to this school and I’ve been verified. I’m new to this process and was wondering what are the subsequent steps from application verification to reviving a secondary. Thank you.

Once your AACOMAS is verified, you just have to wait for the school to send you a secondary application email. It will have instructions on how to login and submit the required essays. Hope that helps.
I’ve sent my primary application to this school and I’ve been verified. I’m new to this process and was wondering what are the subsequent steps from application verification to reviving a secondary. Thank you.

Just got my secondary! it is asking for clinical experiences again... Should I copy paste from the primary?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would also like to know the secondary prompt as well!

Reactions: 2 users
it is extremely similar to last year!
I would love to be more helpful... They specifically asked us (OMSP students who got the secondary early) not to reveal the questions.

Last edited:
Just got my secondary! it is asking for clinical experiences again... Should I copy paste from the primary?

Just curious... when were you verified? Still waiting for my secondary and am anxious to start writing!

I would love to be more helpful... They specifically asked us (OMSP students who got the secondary early) not to reveal the questions.
A mention of this would have been helpful and answered a few posters questions asking for the secondary. Understandable though.

That's understandable! Hope my post didn't come off as mean.

Last edited:
Why are you applying to Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine? (250 words)

What is your impact on your community? (500 words)

Describe an interpersonal interaction you experienced in which you were dissatisfied with the outcome. How would you approach it differently now? (250 words)

Does anyone else have rec letter issues on their secondaries? I have a red X on my "status" bad for rec letters but when I click on them and go to the documents they are all green checks.

Does anyone else have rec letter issues on their secondaries? I have a red X on my "status" bad for rec letters but when I click on them and go to the documents they are all green checks.
Yes! Mine says that my letters of evaluation are incomplete and when I click on it there's nothing. All of my letters have been submitted and verified with AACOMAS. I emailed admissions, but was confused by their response.

Yes! Mine says that my letters of evaluation are incomplete and when I click on it there's nothing. All of my letters have been submitted and verified with AACOMAS. I emailed admissions, but was confused by their response.
I called them and left them a voice msg and they fixed it in 10 minutes so try calling them!

I called them and left them a voice msg and they fixed it in 10 minutes so try calling them!
They sent me another email saying they're going to have tech support look at this issue. So hopefully it will be resolved!

Does anyone know if a biology credentialed biochemistry course would satisfy the requirement for prerequisites?
I would ask the admission's office of MSU and show them the syllabus. Maybe it can play as a substitute.

The secondary is asking for clinical experience. Should I copy and paste from my primary?

How are people answering the impact on the community question? I can't just shake the feeling of assuming I have made an impact on the community as a whole is a little pretentious.

How are people answering the impact on the community question? I can't just shake the feeling of assuming I have made an impact on the community as a whole is a little pretentious.
I agree. But pretty much all secondary questions are either pretentious or redundant. So to answer your question, I am talking about my volunteering experiences in a cohesive narrative and the impact I had on a micro level.

Last edited:
The secondary is asking for clinical experience. Should I copy and paste from my primary?
I talked about my clinical experience pretty extensively in my primary application, so I was planning on just summarizing each experience with a sentence. I would be curious as to what @Goro thinks.

I talked about my clinical experience pretty extensively in my primary application, so I was planning on just summarizing each experience with a sentence. I would be curious as to what @Goro thinks.
do not cut and paste because that shows laziness. You could come up with something as a good answer

Yeah my letters of recommendation also say incomplete even though they were submitted to AACOMAS. Should I just wait or go ahead and call them about it?