2019-2020 Miami (Miller)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
"Briefly describe the one clinical experience you have had that has most significantly influenced your decision to study medicine. Do not replicate your AMCAS personal statement."

When they state not to replicate your personal statement does anyone know if they mean the clinical experience or just the reason you wrote on the personal statement?

Members don't see this ad.

Frankly kind of annoyed with this secondary. There are too many questions and they're all basically asking you to summarize your primary. Aside from the "why us" question they're asking for information you can already get from AMCAS. Not sure if it's worth the time or money.

Reactions: 2 users
Emailed admissions to ask why you can't select more than one race in the biographical information section and received "Unfortunately, that part of the application has not been updated with different options. Please choose one that you most identify with." as the response.

Pretty disappointed seeing as this is something that can be fixed. I'm mixed race and they're asking me which race I'd rather go in as? That doesn't really sit well with me.

Edit: Posted here now because I accidentally posted in the wrong thread before... Oops

Edit 2: Contacted some people at the school and they said the question is old and will be removed next time they revise their secondary. They just use what info is in your AMCAS.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So is our file not considered complete/ up for review until Casper is graded? Wondering if it’s worth focusing time on this now or in a few weeks

So is our file not considered complete/ up for review until Casper is graded? Wondering if it’s worth focusing time on this now or in a few weeks
Mine was marked complete without any mention of CASPer. It’s not even on the list of things you need to be complete.

Has anyone else had a problem with paragraphs? When I copy and paste in my essays they look fine, but when I go to preview the application it turns everything into one big paragraph. Looks especially weird with the list questions!

Reactions: 1 user
  1. Briefly describe the one clinical experience you have had that has most significantly influenced your decision to study medicine. Do not replicate your AMCAS personal statement.
  2. Why have you selected the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine for your medical education? Please be as specific as possible.
  3. Please provide a chronological list with dates AND a brief description of your clinical experiences/shadowing.
  4. Please provide a chronological list with dates of your community service/volunteering.
  5. Please discuss a situation where you had to use your leadership skills.
  6. Please briefly discuss your research experience.
  7. Please provide a chronological list with dates of your employment.
  8. [OPTIONAL] Please provide a description of any activities involving the FINE ARTS (dance, drama, music, art, photography, etc.)
  9. [OPTIONAL] Please provide a description of any activities involving SPORTS (organized team sports, recreational activities that you play, watch or follow)
  10. [OPTIONAL] Describe your most meaningful involvement in STUDENT ORGANIZATIONS.
  11. [OPTIONAL] Please provide a description of your most memorable TRAVEL experience.
  12. [OPTIONAL] Please provide a description of your HOBBIES and what you do for fun and relaxation.

500 words each

@PapaGuava

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone else had a problem with paragraphs? When I copy and paste in my essays they look fine, but when I go to preview the application it turns everything into one big paragraph. Looks especially weird with the list questions!

Yes, I had the same problem. It was the same on their application last year though so I wouldn't worry about it!

I realized that once you submit you can see the correct formatting! It was just a bug with the preview feature, but the IT team fixed it now!

DAE submit a photo and are now unable to see it? I'm pretty sure I uploaded the right one but it would be nice to confirm. Lol

I feel like I covered most of these topics in my primary... is it bad to use the same experiences in these questions? aka re-word my primary activities?

When entering our grade should we putting the course number for “course name”? Bc that’s what it seeeems the example is showing, but not sure

I feel like I covered most of these topics in my primary... is it bad to use the same experiences in these questions? aka re-word my primary activities?

That's what I did.

When entering our grade should we putting the course number for “course name”? Bc that’s what it seeeems the example is showing, but not sure

Yeah, just put the course number like in the example.

Secondary submitted, best of luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
Where's the link to upload a picture? I can't find it...

Why is this secondary so extensive

Reactions: 8 users
Does anyone know if there are any research requirements, research tracts (that don't involve another degree), or just opportunities for basic science or clinical research during the four years?

Does anyone know if there are any research requirements, research tracts (that don't involve another degree), or just opportunities for basic science or clinical research during the four years?
/ can anyone tell me more about the specialty branches or mentored scholarly capstone

Just submitted. I feel like i just ran a marathon mentally lol. Any ideas on how long it takes for letters to arrive? I assigned them to this school this morning but Miami’s portal shows they still haven’t reached them

do you NEED to fill out every box under required courses?I only took 2 semesters of orgo, for example, so i have 1 box blank

Did you take a separate orgo lab? You could put that in the box.
this would contraindicate that

So for the optional essays are they supposed to relate to our desire to pursue medicine? Or do we just talk about the activities in general and maybe how they've impacted us.

So for the optional essays are they supposed to relate to our desire to pursue medicine? Or do we just talk about the activities in general and maybe how they've impacted us.
I just talked about how they've impacted me while still highlighting qualities that I think are attractive for physicians.

I'm really struggling with the "Briefly describe the one clinical experience you have had that has most significantly influenced your decision to study medicine" prompt.

My hospital volunteering was pretty boring and didn't give me much insight on patient care, it was more secretary work than anything. If anything, my shadowing experiences were most influential, but I feel like shadowing is too "passive" an activity to really answer this question well (unless I just really elaborate on my thoughts/feelings during the shadowing?). Thoughts?

I'm really struggling with the "Briefly describe the one clinical experience you have had that has most significantly influenced your decision to study medicine" prompt.

My hospital volunteering was pretty boring and didn't give me much insight on patient care, it was more secretary work than anything. If anything, my shadowing experiences were most influential, but I feel like shadowing is too "passive" an activity to really answer this question well (unless I just really elaborate on my thoughts/feelings during the shadowing?). Thoughts?
I think it's okay to discuss a shadowing experience, as long as you can really elaborate what in that experience was so impactful. Be able to elaborate what you walked away with and how you will hopefully apply those lessons within your future as a healthcare provider.

I kept mine short and sweet because I already made one of clinical experiences a “most meaningful” experience on the primary.

Hello everyone,

I have a quick question. Where do I go to upload my photo on to the secondary application? I can't find it. Is it because I have to submit and pay for my application first?

Hello everyone,

I have a quick question. Where do I go to upload my photo on to the secondary application? I can't find it. Is it because I have to submit and pay for my application first?

You can do it after you pay and submit, but I’m not sure if you have to.

My application status says "Your Application has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine. Applicants will be invited to interview based upon their point total from the Committee review. Applications that have been reviewed and scored by the Committee will be considered for interviews during the entire interview cycle (September - April)."

Does anyone know if this means it was scored or does it usually say "your application has been scored"

• Wow
My application status says "Your Application has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine. Applicants will be invited to interview based upon their point total from the Committee review. Applications that have been reviewed and scored by the Committee will be considered for interviews during the entire interview cycle (September - April)."

Does anyone know if this means it was scored or does it usually say "your application has been scored"
May I ask when you were complete and if your casper is in??

Yes I was complete July 2 and I took my CASPER in May so it has been in for a little over a month.

I was complete July 1 and also took CASPer in May and am “under review” FWIW.

Does anyone know if it is confirmed the new curriculum will be starting for the Class of 2020?

Just got an email saying they got my application and that they'll make a decision about sending me a secondary shortly.
Have you heard anything back yet? I got the same email and still haven’t received anything else. I’m a high stat OOS, so I have a feeling I’ve been yield protected but wanted to see if this is just where everybody else was or not

• Haha
Have you heard anything back yet? I got the same email and still haven’t received anything else. I’m a high stat OOS, so I have a feeling I’ve been yield protected but wanted to see if this is just where everybody else was or not
+1, but without fear of getting yield protected lol

+1, but without fear of getting yield protected lol

I don't think it's yield protection. I got a secondary and am OOS with a high MCAT. I'm sure y'all will get one too.

Just to confirm, chronological list is oldest first and newest last?

Rising MD/MPH M2 popping in to say hi! Some other students have already posted great info about UM earlier in this thread, but I'm happy to answer any questions for you guys/give my take on things. Not at all affiliated with admissions, just really happy I chose UM and happy to pass on any advice or info that I can.

Rising MD/MPH M2 popping in to say hi! Some other students have already posted great info about UM earlier in this thread, but I'm happy to answer any questions for you guys/give my take on things. Not at all affiliated with admissions, just really happy I chose UM and happy to pass on any advice or info that I can.

I would love to hear more specifically about the joint program and what you like about it. And if you were accepted to both MD and MD/MPH why you chose the latter