2019-2020 Indiana

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II received, OOS. Applied to the South Bend scholarly concentration
When were you verified/when did you submit the scholarly concentrations app?

Members don't see this ad.

When were you verified/when did you submit the scholarly concentrations app?
Verified AMCAS 5/30
Complete 7/18 I think
I got the scholarly concentration email a few days later, submitted two or three days after getting the email

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys, I'm an MS1 at the Indianapolis campus. Feel free to message me with any questions. I don't get on here a lot, but I'll try to answer them kind of in a timely manner

how was interview day and what did they have you do? what were your stats if you don't mind sharing as well

Members don't see this ad :)
I wish there was a Scholarly Concentration Program available for the Indianapolis location. The IUSM website page for "SC" says that there are programs offered at Indy, but when I asked the Admission's office, they told me that Indy isn't offering Scholarly Concentration programs. I'd want to apply to one of the other programs, but I'm really hoping and preferring the Indianapolis location.... </3

There are SCPs available at the main campus, but those SCPs are not eligible for the Priority Placement Program.

1565824130846.png

Reactions: 2 users
Hi guys, still no complete email/email they received my primary. Verified 07/15. OOS. Are they typically this slow or should I give admissions a call?

I was verified a week after you and got the app received and special opportunity emails 8 days ago.

for those that did the scholarly concentration program -- how much extra writing work is it?

for those that did the scholarly concentration program -- how much extra writing work is it?
It was three essays of 1000 characters for the ethics, equity, and justice one. Not sure about the others. If you apply to a scholarly concentration program because you have an earnest interest and relevant experience in it, the essays are a breeze. The questions were targeted and easy to answer based on my experiences and interests.

Reactions: 1 user
There are SCPs available at the main campus, but those SCPs are not eligible for the Priority Placement Program.

View attachment 276260
So if we do get into the Indianapolis location. We can opt in for the SCP once matriculated there? It's just not available to help with priority placement to Indy?

So if we do get into the Indianapolis location. We can opt in for the SCP once matriculated there? It's just not available to help with priority placement to Indy?
Yes, that seems to be the case according to the website!

You don't "opt-in" for the SCP. There is an application process. Most of the SCPs only have 5-15 slots, but I am not sure how competitive some of them are.

II, OOS.
To everyone else who got interview invites, your information packet said to wait to complete the graduate application until September 3rd, correct?

Members don't see this ad :)
II, OOS.
To everyone else who got interview invites, your information packet said to wait to complete the graduate application until September 3rd, correct?
correct

You don't "opt-in" for the SCP. There is an application process. Most of the SCPs only have 5-15 slots, but I am not sure how competitive some of them are.
I know that. I meant can we choose to apply for the Indy SCPs after we're matriculated there?

I know that. I meant can we choose to apply for the Indy SCPs after we're matriculated there?
I exchanged emails with one of the campus deans, and she explained that the scholarly concentrations are not designed to fill every seat at a particular campus. Once admitted, and if placed at the campus of your choice (by lottery and student preference), you can apply for a scholarly concentration after going through the regular admissions route.

For those of you who received an II, they haven't sent out any dates yet have they?

Finally got a confirmation email that my primary was received. Verified 7/30

ORM OOS, verified on 8/8 and received the confirmation email on 8/16!

Last edited:
Darn, I just uploaded it to their portal then threw the signed paper away. Should I email them to let them know I uploaded and confirm?

You can try calling them, they are pretty good on the phone.
However, I had a friend last year who personally mailed it and they wouldn't take it and told him it had to be mailed by the dean's office.

Has any ED applicant gotten their interview date yet? Kinda worried after looking at last year's dates and given how close September is and that the website says we find out by October 1..

I also have to resubmit my "personal" letter since I didn't know that it couldn't be from a professor, but it should be in soon and I hope that's not what's delaying my interview date.

II received just now! Application received 8/8 and applied to scholarly concentration 8/9

Reactions: 4 users
First II!! OOS, 509/3.7. Didn't receive anything about applying for priority placement though? Was hoping to do so... Maybe I'll send them an email

Reactions: 3 users
I got an email that my application was received on 7/24 and then on 7/25 I got an email saying my application "has been deferred pending receipt of your MCAT score. Once your MCAT score has been received your application will be reviewed. The review process may take up to 6 weeks or more depending on the number of applications received."

I received my MCAT score today. People with my stats have been receiving interviews. Should I email admissions with an update letting them know I got my MCAT or just wait for them to contact me?

I got an email that my application was received on 7/24 and then on 7/25 I got an email saying my application "has been deferred pending receipt of your MCAT score. Once your MCAT score has been received your application will be reviewed. The review process may take up to 6 weeks or more depending on the number of applications received."

I received my MCAT score today. People with my stats have been receiving interviews. Should I email admissions with an update letting them know I got my MCAT or just wait for them to contact me?
Doesn't hurt to contact them and let them know. Better safe than sorry just to be sure

How OOS friendly is this school? I see on MSAR they accept about 20% or 64/360. Do people need to have ties to the state? Would it be too late to add this school to my primary app?

Anyone OOS and non-EDP/scholarly concentration get an II yet?

Nope but to be fair I only received that scholarly concentrations thing a few days ago.

We don’t have to respond to it at all if we aren’t interested right? And we’ll still be good for MD?

Correct! I'm doing the same thing I think. Much prefer the Indy campus but wish I could express that interest in a secondary lol.

Nope but to be fair I only received that scholarly concentrations thing a few days ago.

We don’t have to respond to it at all if we aren’t interested right? And we’ll still be good for MD?
+1 I ignored the email basically lol

Reactions: 1 users
It’s possible they haven’t started reviewing scholarly concentration applications yet. I applied scholarly concentration and emailed admissions about interview location since that campus is very far from home for me (would prefer a closer location just for interview). They said if I’m approved for scholarly concentration interview, the interview will be in the same place. So it sounds like it isn’t set in stone yet whether you’re in the regular or scholarly concentration pool

Does anyone have a red x next to prerequisites complete in their portal? Is this something I should be concerned about?

Does anyone have a red x next to prerequisites complete in their portal? Is this something I should be concerned about?
Not me, but if you're worried you can always reach out to Admission's and ask just to make sure and be on the safe side.

I do too I assumed it was just that they haven't updated the portal or something? If you find out otherwise can you let me know?

Did you all fill out the dean of students forms and stuff before you got the secondary or after? They received my app but no 2ndary yet.

Did you all fill out the dean of students forms and stuff before you got the secondary or after? They received my app but no 2ndary yet.
You only submit the supplemental material if you’re asked to do so (because you’ve been invited to an II).

I emailed admissions about the red x on my prereqs and they said that they are working on updating everyone’s prereqs but it will just take them a while. No need to worry

Reactions: 3 users
Has any ED applicant gotten their interview date yet? Kinda worried after looking at last year's dates and given how close September is and that the website says we find out by October 1..

I also have to resubmit my "personal" letter since I didn't know that it couldn't be from a professor, but it should be in soon and I hope that's not what's delaying my interview date.
I haven't gotten a date yet either. I think they might be waiting until September 3rd once their new system is up and running.