2019-2020 Indiana

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know how flexible they are on the psych/soc requirements here? I've taken courses that overlapped with these topics but are listed on amcas as poly sci/phil. Any other students get courses listed outside of psyc/soc approved to satisfy the requirement?
email admissions. They were helpful when I had a question about LOR requirements

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
i filled out the scholarly concentration form. i just received an ii but does this preclude me from being under consideration at the Indianapolis campus?

I turned the Dean's evaluation form into my Dean of students 5 weekdays ago, but the IU med portal still says its not received. Anyone else have the same issue?

I am not sure if I should assume IU's paperwork processing is slow, or if I should be concerned the Dean hasn't sent it yet. I guess it's probably the former, since everyone has LORs marked as "not received" on the portal.

Where do we find the Dean’s evaluation form?

Where do we find the Dean’s evaluation form?

The II email I received had three attachments in the form of links at the bottom of the email (below the signature). The attached files are an information packet/application guide, a legal disclosure, and the Dean's evaluation form.

Reactions: 1 user
Got an invitation to apply to scholarly concentration track, thought it was an II :arghh:

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got an invitation to apply to scholarly concentration track, thought it was an II :arghh:

Lmaooo same. Assuming everyone who applied got this email? Are you going to apply for the scholarly concentrations thing?

Reactions: 1 users
Lmaooo same. Assuming everyone who applied got this email? Are you going to apply for the scholarly concentrations thing?
I did... we'll see where it goes/if anything happens haha

Can someone talk more about the scholarly concentrations and the pros and cons of applying for them??

Indiana- "You are eligible for a new admissions opportunity", oh an II! Oh the disappointment lol

Last edited:
I saw on the website that they sent it to everyone with a 507 or above MCAT and GPA of over 3.5 for both science and cumulative

I saw on the website that they sent it to everyone with a 507 or above MCAT and GPA of over 3.5 for both science and cumulative

n=1 but I'm above those cutoffs and did not receive this email

Reactions: 2 users
Ecstatic to see an email from IU today only to open it and realize it was just a reminder about the scholarly concentrations lol why must they do this

Just got placed in the traditional applicant pool because I didn't qualify for EDP. What should I do next? Should I wait to hear back from IU or should I apply to other schools? I do have a couple schools in mind but I feel like it is already too late for secondaries, etc. Thank you for reading and your advice.
I would probably start applying to at least a few schools, I don't think you'd be out of the running elsewhere because it's not really late or anything

Just got placed in the traditional applicant pool because I didn't qualify for EDP. What should I do next? Should I wait to hear back from IU or should I apply to other schools? I do have a couple schools in mind but I feel like it is already too late for secondaries, etc. Thank you for reading and your advice.

If you aren't EDP, then applying to just one school would be an extremely risky plan (especially if you don't have amazing stats or anything like that). I would definitely recommend applying to a few more schools before it gets much later in the cycle.

It's not too late for secondaries. Earlier is better, but anytime in August is still considered "on time" from my understanding.

Can an Indiana native or someone with strong ties/experience in the state give me some info about desirable places in Indiana to live? Considering a couple of the regional campuses through the Scholarly Concentration Program, but I mostly want to make sure I first know what the towns that I'd be living in for 4 years are like from a locals perspective.

I'm particularly considering Evansville and South Bend. Do people like these cities? Are they desirable places to live?

EDIT: you don't have to have any particular credentials to give me some input btw, lol. If you have an opinion on these places even from brief visits or that you've heard I'd love to hear from you!

Can an Indiana native or someone with strong ties/experience in the state give me some info about desirable places in Indiana to live? Considering a couple of the regional campuses through the Scholarly Concentration Program, but I mostly want to make sure I first know what the towns that I'd be living in for 4 years are like from a locals perspective.

I'm particularly considering Evansville and South Bend. Do people like these cities? Are they desirable places to live?

EDIT: you don't have to have any particular credentials to give me some input btw, lol. If you have an opinion on these places even from brief visits or that you've heard I'd love to hear from you!
I was in south bend for a football game at notre dame once and its not the best outside of the campus

@Kirby Smart

I've lived in Fort Wayne since I was 14 and just finished undergrad at PFW. To be honest, I haven't gotten out of Fort Wayne much but I know a bit about the reputation of IN cities.

Indianapolis is easily the most desirable campus for med school, they have all the real big teaching hospitals and most of the research. Plus Indy is pretty much the fun-est and most cosmopolitan city in IN. Bloomington is likely in second place, they have the flagship IU campus and more research going on than the other outlying campuses.

Gary (northwest IU campus) is very infamous and widely regarded as the worst city in Indiana (maybe in the entire midwest). Besides Gary, Muncie and Southbend are the two cities I tend to hear people say are sketchy. I have also people claim that Pete Buttigieg really turned South Bend around in recent years (could be biased opinions idk).

I am obviously biased, but I think my hometown of Fort Wayne is pretty cool. Its the second biggest city after Indy and has some neat up-and-coming cultural stuff, especially downtown. Crime doesn't seem to be much of a problem at all. It has some big and fast growing health systems (yaaay Parkview). I think you get a lot of benefits of city living here, but with very low cost of living.

All the other cities I don't really know anything about but I assume they are perfectly serviceable, albeit good ol boring midwest towns.

Received an invite. OOS. Trying to get access to the portal. Has anyone recieved an email to how to get access to the portal?

Received an invite. OOS. Trying to get access to the portal. Has anyone recieved an email to how to get access to the portal?
In the II email, click the Supplemental Info packet that’s attached. The portal is hyperlinked in there, I believe it’s bolded as “Applicant Portal”.

Does anyone have any further information as to the application process for the Concentrations? I'm mostly wondering if those who apply to them are put into a "priority pipeline," or if applicants are only considered for them after they are deemed worthy of an interview at the main campus to begin with.

But considering that all applicants to the Concentrations are promised a decision in December, perhaps there is some priority application review that happens?

I am having difficulties accessing the portal due to the "username" field not appearing once I click the "Forgot your guest account passphrase?" option. Has anyone had any luck?
Enter your AMCAS id in the field of Username. Just did mine and it worked. You should receive a link to your email.

II OOS, best of luck to everyone.

Hey guys, I'm an MS1 at the Indianapolis campus. Feel free to message me with any questions. I don't get on here a lot, but I'll try to answer them kind of in a timely manner

Hi guys, still no complete email/email they received my primary. Verified 07/15. OOS. Are they typically this slow or should I give admissions a call?

Hi guys, still no complete email/email they received my primary. Verified 07/15. OOS. Are they typically this slow or should I give admissions a call?
I would give it a few more weeks! Check last year's post to give yourself an idea as to when you should expect it.

Verified end of July, also no email lol. Idk what they’re looking for
Also verified late July. I’m an OOS. Are you IS or OOS? I think they def striate you into some groups based off mcat race scores etc. I’m sure some groups are really small and so they get interviews much more quickly.

Just got an II, I’m OOS and applied to one of the scholarly concentrations!

Reactions: 3 users
II received, OOS. Applied to the South Bend scholarly concentration

Can someone comment on the interview schedule? Are they going to send us an interview date? All I need to do right now is just fill out the two forms (legal and dean) and wait for them to contact?

I wish there was a Scholarly Concentration Program available for the Indianapolis location. The IUSM website page for "SC" says that there are programs offered at Indy, but when I asked the Admission's office, they told me that Indy isn't offering Scholarly Concentration programs. I'd want to apply to one of the other programs, but I'm really hoping and preferring the Indianapolis location.... </3

Wait question - how did you apply to the scholarly concentrations? After we add Indiana to primary is there something else we have to do to apply to a scholarly concentration?

I forgot what the exact stat thresholds are (I believe 507 MCAT and certain GPA) but if you meet those you should get a separate email with information and a link to apply!

Hmm did you get this email right after verification or maybe after you got the “we received your primary” email?

I got it a day after my app was received by IU. So I would expect it sometime after you get an email from IU that they got your primary. I believe the deadline for these programs is 9/1 as it’s a kind of priority admission so I hope you get it soon!

Just got the email that they received my primary. They are definitely not going in order of completion/verification if you haven’t received that email yet

Just got mine this morning! I wonder if they’ve been reviewing my app or they just put it in queue.